No Solution for the Horrible Bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No Solution for the Horrible Bluetooth?

Has anyone found a solution for this? My issue is the crackly / broken up poor sound quality for the people you are talking with from the car. IPhone 4S with IOS 6 and a second IPhone 4S with IOS 7. Full bars on both phones. My dealer has been completely useless in resolving this. "I've never heard of a problem before but we'll call you if we hear anything."
Old 12-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by JFK-USAF
Has anyone found a solution for this? My issue is the crackly / broken up poor sound quality for the people you are talking with from the car. IPhone 4S with IOS 6 and a second IPhone 4S with IOS 7. Full bars on both phones. My dealer has been completely useless in resolving this. "I've never heard of a problem before but we'll call you if we hear anything."
This issue has been raised a few times here. No solution.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:27 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
"Horrible Bluetooth"? Must be a localized situation. My Acuras have all had good BT performance - on both ends.

Who is your cellular carrier? I have a buddy on Verizon, and when he calls me from his car it's like a machine gun - every 1/10th of second is blanked out, so it sounds like he's talking through chattering teeth. But if he calls direct from his phone (no BT), he sounds fine.

So, don't be so fast to blame the vehicle!

(Oh, forgot to mention - I'm running an iPhone 5 and iOS 7 and so is he. But even when I had a 4S, it was the same. I'm on AT&T, so I blame Verizon.)

Last edited by Mike_TX; 12-03-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
What version is the HFL in the car? If it's not the latest version, might be worth a trip to the dealership to have it updated. I think I remember seeing on the update documentation the dealership showed me that crackling sound is one of the things the update is supposed to address. I was having a different issue though so I can't say if it actually fixes the crackling or not. Since you'd request the update as a result of an actual problem (as opposed to just wanting it for gits and shiggles) it should be done under warranty.

In the meantime, you could try a test call to somebody while you move the phone around to different parts of the car. BT crackling can be an indication of a weak signal, so if moving it around changes things it could mean an actual hardware problem with the car or your phone instead of software issues.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Scheffy
What version is the HFL in the car? If it's not the latest version, might be worth a trip to the dealership to have it updated. I think I remember seeing on the update documentation the dealership showed me that crackling sound is one of the things the update is supposed to address. I was having a different issue though so I can't say if it actually fixes the crackling or not. Since you'd request the update as a result of an actual problem (as opposed to just wanting it for gits and shiggles) it should be done under warranty.

In the meantime, you could try a test call to somebody while you move the phone around to different parts of the car. BT crackling can be an indication of a weak signal, so if moving it around changes things it could mean an actual hardware problem with the car or your phone instead of software issues.
I have an HTC DNA on Verizon and it worked perfectly in my 07 RL, so I do blame the bluetooth system in the RDX.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:11 PM
10th Gear

I know there was a TSB for bluetooth issues a while back...they updated my HFL and things have been great.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:33 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by thephantom
I have an HTC DNA on Verizon and it worked perfectly in my 07 RL, so I do blame the bluetooth system in the RDX.
No chance it could be HTC or Verizon, huh?

By that I mean that Bluetooth specs change, and if your phone - or your cellular carrier - have defined their product's capabilities so narrowly that they can't work with the new BT standard ... well, then.

My iPhones have always worked flawlessly with all my (and my wife's) Acuras ... and we both get a new one every year. I credit that to Apple and AT&T. In my own experience, I've seen more problems with phones on the Verizon system than any other (well, except maybe Sprint.) When most people are perfectly happy with it and only a few have a problem, it's kinda hard to broadbrush the RDX as having "horrible Bluetooth".

Last edited by Mike_TX; 12-04-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Intermediate

Mike_TX: I mean to say that my Bluetooth is horrible. I do see that others here are having the issue too. I have Verizon and two IPhone 4S phones (one w/ IOS6 and 1 w/ IOS7) My other car is a 2012 Volvo S60 and the Bluetooth in that is crystal clear. I've tested the Acuras BT by traveling on the same highways in the same locations and at roughly the same speed. The RXD is broken up and cuts off parts of people's sentences. It almost sounds like the microphone is distorting. Car goes back to the dealer again next week. It's a 2014 and I think the SW update was for the 13s..??>.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
No chance it could be HTC or Verizon, huh?

By that I mean that Bluetooth specs change, and if your phone - or your cellular carrier - have defined their product's capabilities so narrowly that they can't work with the new BT standard ... well, then.

My iPhones have always worked flawlessly with all my (and my wife's) Acuras ... and we both get a new one every year. I credit that to Apple and AT&T. In my own experience, I've seen more problems with phones on the Verizon system than any other (well, except maybe Sprint.) When most people are perfectly happy with it and only a few have a problem, it's kinda hard to broadbrush the RDX as having "horrible Bluetooth".
Before I traded my 07 RL towards my 14 RDX, my HTC DNA on Verizon worked flawlessly. The sound of the other person was "full" and I have never had any complaints about my voice. Matter of fact, most people couldn't even tell I was using Bluetooth. When I used the same phone in my RDX, the other caller sounds more high pitched and scratchy. My voice, from what I am told, also sounds higher toned and not as clear as when I was in my RL. So, same phone, same service, but a different car - I blame the car.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:27 PM
Drifting

Here are a couple more threads on the same issue:

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-405/microphone-works-poorly-881912/

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-405/bluetooth-mic-sounds-tinny-897770/
Old 12-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Intermediate

All that said, Acura should have Bluetooth that will work with an IPhone 4S in 2014. I know it's possible since it works in the other car.