GPS auto dimming

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 09:43 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
GPS auto dimming

Hi, I cannot find the setting to automatically switch from day time to night mode and viceversa based on ambient light.
I can only do it by manually pressing the the button.
can anybody help?
Old 08-20-2017, 09:48 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
More than likely you have the dashboard brightness set to "max." When in this setting the navigation screen remains at full brightness or max. Turn the brightness of the dashboard gauges down and you should be all set. You don't have to turn it down much, just enough so it isn't at the max setting.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:39 AM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Lalin
Hi, I cannot find the setting to automatically switch from day time to night mode and viceversa based on ambient light.
I can only do it by manually pressing the the button.
can anybody help?
You didn't mention which model year your RDX is, but the following information is based on my knowledge of my 2016 model.

As far as I know the navigation screen will not change to night mode automatically based on ambient light, It will switch to night mode automatically when the headlights are switched on. So if you leave the headlight switch in the "auto" position, it will appear that the navigation screen switches to night mode automatically. The exception to this, is if the headlights are turned on during the day. In this case the display will remain in daylight mode. This is different than the Garmin systems which use your latitude and longitude to determine when sunset is, and switch to night mode at that time.

You can override the display by using the day/night button located on the center console. The setting will return to normal the next time you start the engine.

You can also go into the menu and choose the colors and brightness you wish for both the day and night modes. perhaps you have chosen some settings that are close to each other, and that is why the automatic changes are not noticeable to you. Try using the override button to switch back and forth to see what color/brightness settings you have chosen for each mode.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
More than likely you have the dashboard brightness set to "max." When in this setting the navigation screen remains at full brightness or max. Turn the brightness of the dashboard gauges down and you should be all set. You don't have to turn it down much, just enough so it isn't at the max setting.
I tried lowering the brightness per your advice but unfortunately did not make a difference. The darn display is still on day mode.
Thanks anyway.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
You didn't mention which model year your RDX is, but the following information is based on my knowledge of my 2016 model.

As far as I know the navigation screen will not change to night mode automatically based on ambient light, It will switch to night mode automatically when the headlights are switched on. So if you leave the headlight switch in the "auto" position, it will appear that the navigation screen switches to night mode automatically. The exception to this, is if the headlights are turned on during the day. In this case the display will remain in daylight mode. This is different than the Garmin systems which use your latitude and longitude to determine when sunset is, and switch to night mode at that time.

the

You can override the display by using the day/night button located on the center console. The setting will return to normal the next time you start the engine.

You can also go into the menu and choose the colors and brightness you wish for both the day and night modes. perhaps you have chosen some settings that are close to each other, and that is why the automatic changes are not noticeable to you. Try using the override button to switch back and forth to see what color/brightness settings you have chosen for each mode.
The car is a 2017 Advanced. The light stalk is in the Auto position and when I turn on the engine at night, the lights go on but the GPS is on day mode. I can only switch it to night mode with the button.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:55 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Lalin
The car is a 2017 Advanced. The light stalk is in the Auto position and when I turn on the engine at night, the lights go on but the GPS is on day mode. I can only switch it to night mode with the button.
It looks like you have a problem that should be covered under warranty.

You have proven that your day & night color/brightness choices are not set the same when you operated the push button on the dash. According to the owners manual the only other setting that would cause the display to stay in daytime mode (even with the headlights on) is what NBP04TL4ME already suggested.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:18 AM

There is also a on / off setting or switch which will synchronize the GPS to the dash, so this may be currently off. I don't currently have access to our RDX as it is my wife's daily driver, so I can't give you direction in terms of how to get to and change it.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:47 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
There is also a on / off setting or switch which will synchronize the GPS to the dash, so this may be currently off. I don't currently have access to our RDX as it is my wife's daily driver, so I can't give you direction in terms of how to get to and change it.
I think this is the information you are referring to. I might be mistaken but I think this option only allows the LCD back-lighting to synchronize with the dimmer control. I don't think it will stop the display from switching to the nighttime colors.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:27 PM

^^^^ Not sure if what you have posted is the same as I remember on my wife's 2016 Advance. I realize you are in Canada and have an Elite, but the display looked different - at least that's what I think I remember.