FWD -- lots of front wheel slippage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 07:07 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FWD -- lots of front wheel slippage?

I picked up a 2016 RDX FWD last month and have mostly been enjoying it. I was originally looking for an AWD, but I got a great deal on a low-mileage FWD that was too good to pass up. Moreover, after reading that the AWD system on the RDX is just a "slip and grip" system, I didn't think it would be too big of a deal. I was driving a 2004 MDX for the past 7 years and had no real problem with wheel slippage--the MDX is FWD and just had a 4 wheel drive button you could engage when you got stuck somewhere.

However, since owning my new RDX FWD, I've been shocked at how much the front wheels slip. It does it when the roads are just a little bit wet from a light drizzle, but it also happens fairly frequently even on dry roads. Part of this is my driving style--I drive quite aggressively (which is part of the reason why I loved the pickup from the V6)... but most of the time I'm really not doing anything obnoxious, just something fairly normal like make a quick right turn on red into a break in traffic. On a dry road, the wheels squeel like I'm peeling out, and if the road is wet, my car loses traction and the traction control (Vehicle Stability Assist) light comes on the dash.

I guess I should have gotten an AWD, I just figured it wouldn't be a big deal since I didn't have a problem with FWD on my MDX; perhaps the heavier curb weight on the MDX made the difference. Does everyone else have the same experience? Would a different set of tires make a difference? I've got Michelin Primacy MXM4's on now.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:43 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Like yourself, I also have a somewhat aggressive driving style. I also purchased the RDX because it had the fastest 0-60 times that I could afford. After trading in my V6 RAV4, the RDX was the only SUV I could find with similar acceleration.

I to was also surprised at how often I can get the front tires to spin and produce a short chirping sound. Sometimes I start off gently until I reach walking speed before stepping on the pedal and I can still spin the front tires. I had though that maybe the AWD was not engaging, but after experimenting with full throttle starts, I found that there was no tire spin under those conditions.

I know that my RAV4 was also a slip and grip system, but it was smart enough to engage the rear differential under full throttle acceleration without the need to detect front tire spin. I suspect that it may have also limited engine output until the vehicle reached perhaps 5 KPH.

My conclusion (from my observations) is that the RDX also engages the rear wheels under full throttle starts, but once the RDX is rolling it becomes a simple slip & grip system.

I suspect that even in your FWD version, that engine output may be limited under full throttle stops to prevent wheel-spin during those conditions. Once above that speed, both my AWD and your FWD will probably spin the tires just as easily. The only difference is that the AWD will spin them for only 1-2 seconds before the rear wheels engage and the spinning stops.

Certainly the weight of the vehicle, the tire footprint size, and the tire compound, can explain why the traction is not as good as your MDX. Tire inflation can also make some differences. I like to inflate my tires a few PSI above the door sticker specs to improve handling, but it will cause the tires to spin more easily. Softer tires will also squeal more easily, especially when accelerating and turning at the same time.
The following users liked this post:
tsb8m (09-03-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 07:21 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
One of the joys of FWD without carrying all the complexity of an AWD system. Part of it is tires, part of it is tire inflation (softer = more tire patch on the road) and part is driver aggressiveness. Since we slow down on corners (this is not a Civic Type R) the only time we have spin is on the white stop line at traffic lights. I just let it idle a few feet until we're past the white paint, then punch it.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:56 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm also disappointed with the wheel spin from hard accelerations from a stop. Part of me wishes I waited a little longer and picked up an AWD model. Honda makes a good V6, and that is a lot of HP and torque to put through the front wheels, maybe a set a softer tires might mitigate the problem in the future.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2014 FWD and the front wheel slip is quite bad. Was regretting not getting AWD but many with AWD also had the same complaint. I think they improved the AWD in 2016 model. I had a loaner and could not spin it even I wanted to.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:05 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
upgrade the tires, folks!
one of the best improvements you can make! traction is important! you'll get better acceleration, better stoppage and depending on the tire, better cornering.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
One of the reasons I moved from my '15 RDX to the '17 MDX was due in large part to front wheel slippage in wet or winter weather. I run Nokian dedicated snows in the winter, and had a disappointing amount of slippage with the RDX before the AWD would consider kicking in. Brought the same tires over to the MDX and after a couple days of driving in winter conditions, I'm having a hard time getting the front wheels to slip on the MDX. The difference is obviously the SH-AWD in the MDX being superior. But something about the RDX lends itself to massive front wheel slippage regardless of the tires, and I'm just not sure why.

andy
Old 12-13-2017, 10:40 AM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by andysinnh
One of the reasons I moved from my '15 RDX to the '17 MDX was due in large part to front wheel slippage in wet or winter weather. I run Nokian dedicated snows in the winter, and had a disappointing amount of slippage with the RDX before the AWD would consider kicking in. Brought the same tires over to the MDX and after a couple days of driving in winter conditions, I'm having a hard time getting the front wheels to slip on the MDX. The difference is obviously the SH-AWD in the MDX being superior. But something about the RDX lends itself to massive front wheel slippage regardless of the tires, and I'm just not sure why.andy
All the difference SH-AWD makes. I don't recall ever getting front wheel slippage from my 2008 RDX. Kind of bummer to see Acura going in reverse in this aspect - but I'm sure the market speaks to this decision.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:14 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by nihar15
I have a 2014 FWD and the front wheel slip is quite bad. Was regretting not getting AWD but many with AWD also had the same complaint. I think they improved the AWD in 2016 model. I had a loaner and could not spin it even I wanted to.
Yes, correct. The 2016+ models have improved AWD. Granted it's not SH-AWD but it still works pretty good. Actually really good to be honest.
Old 04-16-2020, 03:28 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
upgrade the tires, folks!
one of the best improvements you can make! traction is important! you'll get better acceleration, better stoppage and depending on the tire, better cornering.
Has anyone had any luck by switching to performance summer tires?
I have a 2016 with FWD and just started driving it after wife changed cars, and
noticed that tires spin out quite a bit, especially on turns after stopping.
I recently rotated the tires, and it seems to help a little, but still experiencing quite a bit of tire spin.
TIA.
Old 04-16-2020, 03:34 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Yes, summer tires will improve your traction despite the suv being porky.