RDX features wishlist :-)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 07:04 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool RDX features wishlist :-)

I owned the RDX for 4 weeks now and I love this car. Like the reviews mentioned RDX doesn't excel in one or two things, but it does a lot of things just right. Here are a list of features I wish the RDX had which would make it a perfect car/cuv/suv (No car is perfect), IMHO.

1) Height adjustment for passenger seat
2) LED Tail lights
3) Rear vents
4) Cooled seats
5) BI-XENON Headlights
6) SH-AWD (It helps to differentiate Honda vs Acura brand)
7) LED DRL (But No Acuras has this feature)
8) Blind spot monitoring

I wish they had an ADVANCE package with all this features. Like I said this is my own opinion and I am very happy with me my RDX.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Agree with everything on your list and would add to it:

1. Rain-Sensing wipers
2. Auto-dimming/power-folding mirrors ( a Kia Sorento has this)
3. Heads Up display
4. Lane Departure Warning
5. Forward Crash Warning/overrride

This would bring it to the next level and give the naysayers no reason to knock it because of their precious features on their X3 or Q5, though a lot of these features are already available on the MDX, so what would differentiate the two, lol? This is probably why they are not available on the RDX. Plus it would push the price to 45-50K, making it no longer a good value as it brings it into price territory of all the others.
The following users liked this post:
smsazucar (09-01-2012)
Old 07-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I agree with both your list except I would delete the following from your list:

1. Rain sensing wipers

Never liked these but you guys have a great list there....wish Acura would read these forums.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Seems to me we could make a very long list of all the "extras' we might want on the RDX. But, as mentioned more than once on different threads...what is the point??? The RDX would then be an MDX!! Buy the MDX or whatever other SUV.

No one will be totally happy with any car. I never am. As I've mentioned around here before....I've owned 60 vehicles since I was 16....and I have favorites.....but, not one of them was a perfect car. That one isn't made. A 9+ here and there.....sure. No real 10's. 'Cause we always want "something different or added to our rides. We are never truly satisfied. That's what's fun in being a "car guy" or "car girl." Get the best one we like, can afford, and then go about finding ways to change it to really make us "more happy!"
Old 07-15-2012, 12:30 AM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
SpareTire, you pretty much nailed everything I would put on my list. A couple of those you mentioned, I don't care about much like the DRL's and the cooled seats. Here are some of the ones I thing are a must in a 35-40k vehicle (or at least as options) :

1) Rear adjustable vents
2) Passenger seat height adjustment
3) Blind spot detection
4) Power folding mirrors
5) More power outlets (I don't believe there are any in the rear)

madrye28,

The problem is we're comparing the RDX to the MDX. We should probably be comparing it to other cars like the Infinitis, Buicks, Fords, etc. What do they have that Acura doesn't that is useful? The MDX doesn't even have push button start and the next generation MDX is soon to come out - no telling what all it will have in it. Acura needs to up their game on standard features even as an option. I'm not talking about exotic garbage like self-parking cars and crap I'd never use, but every day creature comforts and useful functionality.

Last edited by Rocketsfan; 07-15-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:03 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
You can disable the DRLs by pulling a fuse. The exact fuse is in your manual.

The SH-AWD is a great system but consumers want fuel economy these days. The basic AWD system only counts for 1 less MPG while the SH system accounts for 3-4 mpg. Also, it's safe to say most people would not take their RDX off road!

I agree that rain sensing wipers should be standard or included in the tech package! I have them in my Mercedes and they work beautifully. I find some added peace of mind knowing that I don't have to worry about anything but the road when it's raining. The RDX is missing many features that would definitely be welcomed but the value for money that Acura is known for would diminish.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:40 AM
10th Gear

You guys made some great points. Like Rocketsfan said, the issue here is ACURA RDX vs comparable models of other luxury manufacturers. If someone is in the market for a luxury CUV, Acura don't want them to disregard the great performing RDX just because it doesn't offer a couple of features offered by the competition.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I'll agree that these are all "nice to haves". But I'd really like to hear from folks which of these you would be willing to pay for and/or what features you'd be willing to give up to get these. I'd have been okay with the price being a couple hundred bucks more and having the height adjust on the passenger seat. But I wouldn't want to pay several hundred dollars for rain sensing wipers...
Old 07-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Suzuka Master

^^^^ The best thing I use for my rain car is "Rain-X"...I love not having to see wipers flip flopping in my face all the time. In addition, I find that with time, the wipers just spread all the road grime/bug guts all over the windshield and just lead to a gunky windshield.

That is why I would not need rain sensing wipers.....But I understand that it seems to be a favorite by most and I respect your opinions.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
SpareTire, you pretty much nailed everything I would put on my list. A couple of those you mentioned, I don't care about much like the DRL's and the cooled seats. Here are some of the ones I thing are a must in a 35-40k vehicle (or at least as options) :

1) Rear adjustable vents
2) Passenger seat height adjustment
3) Blind spot detection
4) Power folding mirrors
5) More power outlets (I don't believe there are any in the rear)

madrye28,

The problem is we're comparing the RDX to the MDX. We should probably be comparing it to other cars like the Infinitis, Buicks, Fords, etc. What do they have that Acura doesn't that is useful? The MDX doesn't even have push button start and the next generation MDX is soon to come out - no telling what all it will have in it. Acura needs to up their game on standard features even as an option. I'm not talking about exotic garbage like self-parking cars and crap I'd never use, but every day creature comforts and useful functionality.
I'm not "comparing" the RDX to an MDX, just saying that with all of these features, it would bring the price upwards of $45,000, to where most buyers would overlook the RDX and just get an MDX. Acura priced this car diectly in between the CR-V and MDX for a reason.....not may people would pay that kind of money for an RDX with an "advance" package. It would be more cost to Acura to retrofit all of these features than what they would make profit. How many people would actually buy an Advance Package for $45,000+....my guess would be 1,000-1,500 buyers annually, if that. With that said....rear-seat vents, fog lights, 8 way power passenger seat, come on, those should be standard. This is a luxury crossover. The rest are just a "wish list" for the future as those options become more mainstream.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
These are all great ideas and like Weather, I hope Acura has someone monitoring this forum.

The people saying "just get an MDX" are missing the point. I don't need a third row seat or the large size/weight of the MDX and prefer to have a LOADED up SUV the size of the RDX. Acura could fold many of those proposed features into a "Luxury Pkg."

I would add HEATED STEERING WHEEL to my wish list.

Regarding LED DRLs, it is INEXCUSABLE of Acura to not have added them to the new headlight module. They could have made that whole gray curved "dividing line" a row of LEDs.

My hat is off to KIA on this one - the LED DRLs on their Sportage is one of the nicest designs on the road today. Much better than the "added-on" look of many of the German vehicles.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BobBass
I would add HEATED STEERING WHEEL to my wish list.

Regarding LED DRLs, it is INEXCUSABLE of Acura to not have added them to the new headlight module. They could have made that whole gray curved "dividing line" a row of LEDs.

My hat is off to KIA on this one - the LED DRLs on their Sportage is one of the nicest designs on the road today. Much better than the "added-on" look of many of the German vehicles.
I totally agree.....I would like to have a heated steering wheel too

With respect to LED DRL.....Once again, I agree with you in that Kia did a great job at integrating their LED design on their Sportage and that having that swooping greyish section of the headlight assemble would have been nice. HOWEVER, and this is where I will likely get flamed but I don't mind, I can take it.....I think Acura missed the boat on the LED DRL and hope they won't come out with it now. The fact that most car companies now have them, it will make Acura like the last kid on the block and will no longer have that luxury appeal like Audi had when they introduced them.

It is funny how LEDs really took off and why no one tried to copy BMW's angel eyes (except for the Camaro). In any event, I think Acura now has to come up with something unique to make them stand out and their jewel eyes on the RLX may be it....although, I still think that things reminds me of the Griswall's station wagon headlight assembly! Maybe once I see it in person it will look better.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:10 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
They could always redesign the plastic cover next to the fogs and put the DRL there? Either like MB LED DRL or make fogs standard with DRL function when the headlights are off. I'm not too crazy about that big hunk plastic; Acura could have made it look more interesting like the 2012 TL.

Acura usually modifies the exterior during the MMC. I willing to bet fogs will be standard by 2015 along with a front/rear update.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
I think you've all pretty well covered the "must-haves". There is no question that Acura missed an opportunity to make the RDX a standout. The lack of adjustable height on the passenger seat, bi-xenons and rear HVAC vents are head-scratching oversights. Most of the other features could have been grouped into one optional safety package along the lines of the Eyesight system available on the new Outback. Eyesight includes pre-collision braking, lane departure warning and adaptive cruise control (not sure how Subaru missed the BLIS). Even the new Escape and CX-5 offer BLIS, and the Escape offers a simpler electronic torque-vectoring AWD. A similar AWD system for the RDX would have been a nice compromise to improve handling without dramatically affecting fuel efficiency.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:46 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Well, again, for me, even though vehicles like the Escape, etc. have features the RDX doesn't have....but, I believe also....the RDX has some things that the Escape does not have, plus the ride, handling, etc........and I would not buy an Escape. Period. Look at what the residual value of what the RDX will be in 3 yrs vs. the Escape....etc. Percentage wise.

But, I know what folks are saying. It's just that there are many different financial ways of looking at the "big picture." Again, IF the big picture is to have everything on your wish list, and one can afford whatever....I'd say, buy the Mercedes or whichever vehicle has all the desired items on it's most expensive SUV. At some point, for me, I have to be satisfied for what I paid and for what I got, and what it will be worth....% wise in 3 years vs the competition.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I will take the power and handling of the RDX over another car with more gizmos. I was sold by my test drive versus the competition, and then whatever the car had as extras were just that for me. That said, I live in Texas so air conditioned seats would be real nice.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mikey Dallas
I will take the power and handling of the RDX over another car with more gizmos. I was sold by my test drive versus the competition, and then whatever the car had as extras were just that for me. That said, I live in Texas so air conditioned seats would be real nice.
For the most part I'm in agreement. As a rule I'm not crazy about gizmos (although I was recently impressed by Volvo's BLIS and found it well worth the additional cost). But a lot of buyers do want gizmos. The features don't have to be standard, and in fact I wouldn't want them to be. But what's wrong with making them optional?
Rocketsfan (07-17-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 06:29 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Type S model with:
- more power (MDX powertrain may be)
- SH-AWD (from MDX again)
- sportier suspension setup

Other models as option:
- panoramic roof
- rear vents
- cool seats
- heated/cool steering wheel
- larger wheels
F23A4 (07-20-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Advanced

HotRodW is onto something with the optional bit. The Murano has had optional dealer-installed LED DRLs for a few years. They're not cheap at $650, but at least you can add them and they are integrated quite nicely.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:19 AM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
For the most part I'm in agreement. As a rule I'm not crazy about gizmos (although I was recently impressed by Volvo's BLIS and found it well worth the additional cost). But a lot of buyers do want gizmos. The features don't have to be standard, and in fact I wouldn't want them to be. But what's wrong with making them optional?
This is exactly what I'm saying. You want something a bit "more luxurious" with the bells and whistles? Here are a couple of packages with it. Don't want it? Don't buy the packages. But I know this goes against the core of what is Acura for the most part - offering option package hell. In a sense I like that I don't feel like I'm getting ripped off where if I want a simple option I want, I have to buy some crazy option package with features I have no need for that runs $5000 more (check out the Lexus RX if you want to see something similar to this in action).

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:02 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
...wish Acura would read these forums.
I would bet my RDX that they do. I'm in the business of "business intelligence" and any company worth its salt has applications that can connect to external web sites, just like this one, and grab data for analysis. "Information discovery" of "unstructured data" (i.e. data not coming from an internal system) is what it's called and I'd guarantee that Honda/Acura does it, as probably every major car manufacturer does.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:19 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^ Interesting post and appreciate the insight.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I am very happy with my RDX, BUT there are a couple of things that I wish were different. The passenger seat that doesn't have height adjustment. Even more irritating is that the driver's seat height won't go high enough for my 5 ft 1 inch wife. She has to use a 1.5 inch pad to get a proper view.

And the biggest issue for me is the awful Navigation System. It is totally useless when driving. Almost everything you need is greyed out and not available when driving. Or you have to use voice commands which means that the driver has to interact, thereby defeating the idea of not distracting the driver. And to top it off, even when parked, the search function sucks. One example: Search for category gas stations, select search in vicinity of a city, select a city, the next screen asks for a name. Absurd! OK, so if you spell "sh" it will show Shell Stations. BUT, just compare that clunky mess with a Garmin Nuvi.

Sorry for the rant, but come on, this a $3,000 option that doesn't come close to matching a $375 nuvi.

Jim
Old 07-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I think Acura's manufacturing strategy is to have very few options coming out of the factory. If you look at the RDX there is a base model with AWD and Tech as the only options coming out of the factory. All of the other options are dealer installed. I think this is how Acura keeps prices below the competition. Look at Lexus, packages and options galore but at a premium price.

Regards, Jim
Old 07-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Burning Brakes

One other missing feature I failed to mention . . . exposed dual exhaust tips housed in a more aggressive diffuser. Yeah, it'd be a little more work to detail, but it would look soooo much better. It looks like the next Sorento will also have concealed tips. I hope they're not starting a trend.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:51 PM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by hawkeye62
I think Acura's manufacturing strategy is to have very few options coming out of the factory. If you look at the RDX there is a base model with AWD and Tech as the only options coming out of the factory. All of the other options are dealer installed. I think this is how Acura keeps prices below the competition. Look at Lexus, packages and options galore but at a premium price.

Regards, Jim
Yes, their thinking is less variation on the assembly line equals less chance of mistakes, better quality control, and they can run the line faster reducing costs.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Suzuka Master

...concealed tips. I hope they're not starting a trend.
I am afraid the new trend is on its way....The ILX, the RDX, the RLX and I was told by my dealer that Acura is doing away with all dual exhaust....so the TLX will be like that too and so will the MDX

Old 07-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Advanced

Didn't occur to me until right now...maybe the concealed exhaust tips are a part of the "green movement." If you don't SEE dual exhaust tips, maybe it's a subliminal message that this vehicle doesn't pollute as much. Ridiculous, I know, but what else is new?
Old 07-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
Type S model with:
- more power (MDX powertrain may be)
- SH-AWD (from MDX again)
- sportier suspension setup

Other models as option:
- panoramic roof
- rear vents
- cool seats
- heated/cool steering wheel
- larger wheels
A Type S model would be a first for an Acura SUV...but I like the idea.

Rear vents should have been a given and regarding the the panoramic roof, something that's readily available on the relatively "down market" Ford Escape and Hyundai Tuscon.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:52 PM
4th Gear

HD Radio....can't believe we don't get that.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by FWAcura
I would bet my RDX that they do. I'm in the business of "business intelligence" and any company worth its salt has applications that can connect to external web sites, just like this one, and grab data for analysis. "Information discovery" of "unstructured data" (i.e. data not coming from an internal system) is what it's called and I'd guarantee that Honda/Acura does it, as probably every major car manufacturer does.
I'm also in the IT industry and this is very much true.

But aside from the IT aspects, we can bet that Acura personnel frequent forums like these. It's just common sense to do it.

Let's say that I have a manufacturing business and just came out with a new product line, and let's say that there is a website forum devoted to posting customer feedback about my new product line. Can you imagine me not looking frequently at that website? I don't claim to be brilliant, but I'm certainly smart enough (and curious enough) to do that. It's the cheapest market research I'll ever get, that's for sure.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
One other missing feature I failed to mention . . . exposed dual exhaust tips housed in a more aggressive diffuser. Yeah, it'd be a little more work to detail, but it would look soooo much better.
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I actually prefer the concealed exhaust tips after a decade or two of every manufacturer trying to make their vehicle look cool with various forms of exhaust tips. Now they just seem commonplace and a dime a dozen.

The RDX has a different look in the back than most cars, and though only 1 in 20 will notice the reason (concealed tips), it draws attention and looks different (and sleeker IMO).

If this indeed turns out to be a trend, I reserve the right to change my mind a decade from now! But for now I like it and I feel it makes my car a little more unique in a sea of SUV's.
Mikey Dallas (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by fgoody
HD Radio....can't believe we don't get that.
HD radio is definitely on my wish list. Don't know why Acura resists to upgrade the radios.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:54 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
A Type S model would be a first for an Acura SUV...but I like the idea.

Rear vents should have been a given and regarding the the panoramic roof, something that's readily available on the relatively "down market" Ford Escape and Hyundai Tuscon.
Yea Type S...I'm all about performance lol.

Definitely, some of the items I listed should be offered on regular RDX too.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TampaJack
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I actually prefer the concealed exhaust tips ,,,,,.
You know what?....I a behind you 100% on your statement! I was a little upset when I found out that the dual exhaust tips were being removed from the RDX but after owning one, I find it so much cleaner and more elegant.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Probably pretty reasonable to expect some things like rear vents, passenger height adjustment, even standard Xenon's will make it into the MMC. Can't believe there is no HD radio. Maybe their agreement with XM doesn't let them put this in the car???? As for the exhaust tips, I don't miss them. They tend to look dirty pretty quickly, even the chrome ones. My sister burnt her shin on the exhaust tip of her older TL while getting something out of the trunk.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Can't believe there is no HD radio. Maybe their agreement with XM doesn't let them put this in the car????
I think you're probably right. I've never had HD Radio but between my sportstalk AM station, Pandora, and the USB jack I'm rarely out of entertainment. Funny how I've literally never popped a CD into the RXD yet. Pretty good idea to drop the 6 disc changer since it was just a space-eatter.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by SPARETIRE
I owned the RDX for 4 weeks now and I love this car. Like the reviews mentioned RDX doesn't excel in one or two things, but it does a lot of things just right. Here are a list of features I wish the RDX had which would make it a perfect car/cuv/suv (No car is perfect), IMHO.

1) Height adjustment for passenger seat
2) LED Tail lights
3) Rear vents
4) Cooled seats
5) BI-XENON Headlights
6) SH-AWD (It helps to differentiate Honda vs Acura brand)
7) LED DRL (But No Acuras has this feature)
8) Blind spot monitoring

I wish they had an ADVANCE package with all this features. Like I said this is my own opinion and I am very happy with me my RDX.

I just wanna add one more to your list :-)

9) Adjustable suspension, where you can set it to comfort or sport..
Old 12-03-2023, 10:52 PM
1st Gear

Bigger fuel tank
Bigger center console
Lower trunk floor, make trunk taller