Considering going from a base 2015 RDX to a tech 2014 MDX, smart choice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 03:28 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Considering going from a base 2015 RDX to a tech 2014 MDX, smart choice?

I posted this on the MDX forum as well but wanted to get insight from RDX owners too!

I've been on the fence regarding buying an MDX and have been at the dealership a few times but haven't found one that I want or meets my budget. The dealer just called and told me they just got a trade in yesterday, black on black (I'd have preferred grey on black but I can live with black exterior). They have all my info but they won't send me the numbers until I show up. They did tell me it'll be around $36K (sounds high to me!) And interest rate would be 3+ whereas I'd like to get at least 1.9%.

What are some of the things I should ask/consider and at what would be a good price vs the 36K that I can bargain. Does it make sense to go from a base 2015 RDX to a tech 2014? I've put almost 40K on the RDX already that I bought new. I don't exactly need an MDX since it's just me and my tall 6 year old, it's more of a want.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:43 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Let me get this straight? So you already bought a brand new RDX recently and want to trade it soon to an older model MDX which you don't really need anyway.... Are you out of your senses?
You need some introspection and some financial advise...unless you have plenty of cash to throw around and don't care about that.
Which is the better car? Of course the MDX with tech is more luxurious, has more features, will ride better, has more cargo space / more seats, better AWD system (if equipped) and generally the better buy (unless you prefer the smaller size, better maneuverability of RDX).... BUT, you should have done it BEFORE you plonked all your money on the RDX. Anyway it's too late for this discussion.
You'll tend to lose around $5-10K straight in this transaction (if you are lucky). The dealers will hype up the car on the lot anyway, precisely to lure customers who are on the edge and hoping that they will do the trade. You know that in a poker game whether you win or lose, the house always wins ultimately. The dealer is the same. Their goal is for you to do a trade in ...for better or worse so that they can profit from the transaction. Period.
Now how much of a "WANT" you really have and how much are you willing to pay for it is the question. If you really really hate your current car, the decision becomes easier. I didn't sense anything like that from your post.
My common sense says that this is an unnecessary purchase (per your statement you don't "NEED" an MDX...correct?), but I'm not the one to decide for you. You have worked hard to earn your money, you can choose which way to spend it (or not)...or do whatever that makes you happy. I understand that buying a car is not always the most logical and financially sound decision that we all make. Good luck with your trade.

Last edited by Comfy; 03-23-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:11 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
or in fewer words - "a fool and their money are soon parted"
Old 03-24-2017, 02:32 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A lot depends on whatever financing you have to go thru...but I'd prob do it as a straight across trade.

On cargrus the difference is within $1000 between units.
the 14 mdx tech looks real nice and loaded with desirable features.
my buddy has a 15 like this and it's kinda just ok.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:53 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Comfy
Let me get this straight? So you already bought a brand new RDX recently and want to trade it soon to an older model MDX which you don't really need anyway.... Are you out of your senses?
You need some introspection and some financial advise...unless you have plenty of cash to throw around and don't care about that.
Which is the better car? Of course the MDX with tech is more luxurious, has more features, will ride better, has more cargo space / more seats, better AWD system (if equipped) and generally the better buy (unless you prefer the smaller size, better maneuverability of RDX).... BUT, you should have done it BEFORE you plonked all your money on the RDX. Anyway it's too late for this discussion.
You'll tend to lose around $5-10K straight in this transaction (if you are lucky). The dealers will hype up the car on the lot anyway, precisely to lure customers who are on the edge and hoping that they will do the trade. You know that in a poker game whether you win or lose, the house always wins ultimately. The dealer is the same. Their goal is for you to do a trade in ...for better or worse so that they can profit from the transaction. Period.
Now how much of a "WANT" you really have and how much are you willing to pay for it is the question. If you really really hate your current car, the decision becomes easier. I didn't sense anything like that from your post.
My common sense says that this is an unnecessary purchase (per your statement you don't "NEED" an MDX...correct?), but I'm not the one to decide for you. You have worked hard to earn your money, you can choose which way to spend it (or not)...or do whatever that makes you happy. I understand that buying a car is not always the most logical and financially sound decision that we all make. Good luck with your trade.
Alright Comfy, I decided not to bother and to quit looking at the local dealers website for MDX so they can quit calling me too. I'm having a bit of buyers remorse with my RDX but it otherwise meets my basic need and then some. Even though I wish I had gotten a fully loaded one, it hasn't been a deal breaker since all my previous cars have been base models so I've adapted fine. I tend to suffer from momentary loss of judgment but avoiding temptation altogether is the best cure.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:03 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
I used to be like you, trying to get the base model for cheap and then getting buyer's remorse. Then I changed my policy and now I aim for the highest trim which I can afford. This has worked well for me so far.
BTW the base RDX is still a great, comfortable, quite and powerful car. I believe it has the same engine as in the MDX (albeit at a different tune). But I simply could not agree with its halogen headlights at that price point.
If you are unhappy with your current car, now is the time to do some interior or exterior mods / upgrades to personalize it such as wood grain trim, new wheels, HID upgrade, .... etc. This will cost you way less than trading your car and buying a used one where you can potentially get another person's problem car / misused car.
Did you already put a lot of upgrades for your RDX? How did you end up paying 40K for a base version?
My plan is to run the current car to the ground to get the maximum worth out of it (my wife may not agree with this though ). Anyway we'll see.
You are right on this though. One way to beat buyer's remorse is to completely forget everything about your car for some time. Do not browse through online forums, reviews, newer models, or upgraded features, etc, ...and just concentrate on your work and life. Believe me it works. Anyway, we wish you good luck and many years of happy driving with your RDX.
But again if at some point you feel that you really need to change cars, go ahead...life is too short not to do that....
Old 03-27-2017, 11:52 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Comfy
I used to be like you, trying to get the base model for cheap and then getting buyer's remorse. Then I changed my policy and now I aim for the highest trim which I can afford. This has worked well for me so far.
BTW the base RDX is still a great, comfortable, quite and powerful car. I believe it has the same engine as in the MDX (albeit at a different tune). But I simply could not agree with its halogen headlights at that price point.
If you are unhappy with your current car, now is the time to do some interior or exterior mods / upgrades to personalize it such as wood grain trim, new wheels, HID upgrade, .... etc. This will cost you way less than trading your car and buying a used one where you can potentially get another person's problem car / misused car.
Did you already put a lot of upgrades for your RDX? How did you end up paying 40K for a base version?
My plan is to run the current car to the ground to get the maximum worth out of it (my wife may not agree with this though ). Anyway we'll see.
You are right on this though. One way to beat buyer's remorse is to completely forget everything about your car for some time. Do not browse through online forums, reviews, newer models, or upgraded features, etc, ...and just concentrate on your work and life. Believe me it works. Anyway, we wish you good luck and many years of happy driving with your RDX.
But again if at some point you feel that you really need to change cars, go ahead...life is too short not to do that....
I paid 32K for the base, not 40K. Dealer was going to give me 20K for the trade. I listened to my friend with a fully loaded Jaguar when he told me he doesn't use any of the upgrades on his car and it wasn't worth the 4K or so for the tech package. The $60/mth or so felt like a deal breaker then but in hindsight I could have managed it. Had I pushed the dealer for a tech package I could have gotten it for a good deal but that's water under the bridge.

I'm not into mod.....didn't even know about those till I joined this board. Might look into HID lights though but other than that, I think I'll focus on getting a new kitchen floor and get rid of this ugly linoleum and also replace the carpet with some hardwood and call it a day. Much better use of my hard earned funds vs getting the MDX I didn't need.