Clunking from rear

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ovation
Day 4 (as the owner of a new 2013 RDX):

Today I returned my loaner to the dealer, and they gave me a ride home in their shuttle. No fix today. Tomorrow I leave for the Caribbean for a week, where my biggest worry will be what type of frozen drink will be on the menu for happy hour.

The plan is to leave my RDX with them for a week while they wait for Acura Techline in Torrence, CA to work on this. They have not been able to reproduce the problem out there, but from what I am told, they are working on this. They obviously don't have the temps that we have now in Boston. We shall see just how good their Tech group is over the next few days.

I did print out a log of this entire discussion thread, circling all entries from hand-filer. They thought that was quite good. They got a laugh out of how Acura might feel about popping in some Monroes. We all agree that a factory engineered solution is the only way to go.

The dealer and their Acura dealer rep have offered some things to me, and out of respect for how great they are treating me, I don't think it's right that I detail that to this forum right now. I will say that the dealer has done everything that I have asked of them, and more. Enough can't be said of their handling the situation.

They'll be emailing me updates, and I'll keep posting as news comes in.
ovation, do you have any updates on this?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:54 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Am curious...am reading many posts around quality of rear parts...but does anyone in a warmer climate have this issue? Also notice first post was in Winter...so do the folks that posted that had their cars earlier in the year experience then? Out here in NoCal my RDX has not experienced any rear clunking...
Old 02-22-2013, 07:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I only noticed the problem when it got colder here in Canada...curious to see if it will get quieter again this summer. Had the RDX since spring...never an issue in the summer. Coincidence?? time will tell....
Old 02-22-2013, 09:17 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
I am in Northern California (SF Bay area). Since i read about the clunking, I have been paying a lot of attention over bumps and dips. No sound here.

It seems to be limited to winter climate!
Old 02-25-2013, 12:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SF Bay Area as well ... and did not have the clunking until a trip to Tahoe. Definitely hear it now on the rear right side.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
I received a call from Acura Canada Customer Relations this morning. They are following up on the letter I sent them regarding my concerns with the rear suspension noise. As best as I was able to understand, they have the service manager and Honda engineering involved in this.
It looks like I will need to reinstall the original shocks now so that they can do the diagnosis all over again.
I'll provide an update when I have further information.
The following 3 users liked this post by hand-filer:
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (02-26-2013), GarrettinSF (02-26-2013), Patels1995 (02-28-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 11:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Keep us posted. It is nice you made the effort to help ALL RDX owners....we may benefit from your hard work and perseverance in this matter. I'll get you a large "double double" if it pans out
Old 02-26-2013, 06:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts
Update:

I put a new oem strut in my TL and the noise is completely gone. I only went around the block, so I will update again after I drive to work
Old 02-26-2013, 09:15 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by probmxstyle
Update:

I put a new oem strut in my TL and the noise is completely gone. I only went around the block, so I will update again after I drive to work
Just to clarify for everyone interested....and I did this on an earlier post.....the issue with the rear suspension on the '13 RDX's is with the rear "shock absorbers", not a "strut." The rear suspension has separate springs and shocks....thus, not a "strut." Symantec's, I know...but, important since there is a big difference in the 2 components.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Another thing I wanted to mention is that the strut I removed had a different part number than the new one I put on. I cross checked the new strut to make sure I ordered the right one and the part number is correct. Not sure if the part number is different because it came on the car new or if they revised the struts. Again, this is on a TL and not an RDX.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Another thing I wanted to mention is that the strut I removed had a different part number than the new one I put on. I cross checked the new strut to make sure I ordered the right one and the part number is correct. Not sure if the part number is different because it came on the car new or if they revised the struts. Again, this is on a TL and not an RDX.
No disrespect....but, how is this helping us who own '13 RDX's??? This thread and issue is concerning the new RDX.....not any Acura with "strut" problems.
We have shock absorber issues.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
No disrespect....but, how is this helping us who own '13 RDX's??? This thread and issue is concerning the new RDX.....not any Acura with "strut" problems.
We have shock absorber issues.
The symptoms of the issue are the same and it seems like the fix has been the same. The RDX shocks and the TL struts may use a similar internal technology that is causing the issue.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:27 PM
Burning Brakes

The symptoms of the issue are the same and it seems like the fix has been the same. The RDX shocks and the TL struts may use a similar internal technology that is causing the issue.
The 2013 RDX and ILX share the same damper (strut,shock) technology (and the associated noise problems) which is new for 2013 and unique to these 2 models.
In theory the new dampers should provide a smoother ride over small sharp bumps but firm up on larger bumps.
I'm sure once they get things sorted out they will introduce it on other models.
Glad to hear your noise issues are resolved.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:29 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Originally Posted by hand-filer
I would urge everyone that is having this problem to take their car back to the dealer to have the problem checked out. At the very least this way it will be documented and forwarded to Acura.
If it can't be resolved by the dealer, contact Acura and voice your concerns.
This is not acceptable performance for a so called luxury brand.
No one should have to put up with this or consider it as being a normal characteristic of the brand.
Mine goes in next Wednesday.
I have the same issue where the car clunks when it goes over bumps or pot holes. The first time I went, Acura replaced my left shock and i still felt the issue. SO later, i brought My car in again, and they said there is nothing wrong. I called Acura client services and they said they will check with my dealership. So i went back a 3rd time and they said bring it in some other time and we will test drive it. So the 4th time i brought it in and had a technician come with me. He did feel the bump/clunk in the rear and said he will test drive another acura tomorrow. so today he called acura relations then acura relations got back to me and said we cant do anything because the technician said it was normal since it happened in a different rdx. ACURA IS BEING REALLY PATHETIC!!! I am now filing a report to BBB.org and see what happens from there
The following users liked this post:
hand-filer (02-28-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 05:34 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Patels1995
I have the same issue where the car clunks when it goes over bumps or pot holes. The first time I went, Acura replaced my left shock and i still felt the issue. SO later, i brought My car in again, and they said there is nothing wrong. I called Acura client services and they said they will check with my dealership. So i went back a 3rd time and they said bring it in some other time and we will test drive it. So the 4th time i brought it in and had a technician come with me. He did feel the bump/clunk in the rear and said he will test drive another acura tomorrow. so today he called acura relations then acura relations got back to me and said we cant do anything because the technician said it was normal since it happened in a different rdx. ACURA IS BEING REALLY PATHETIC!!! I am now filing a report to BBB.org and see what happens from there
We are experiencing the same with our ILX's as well as Acuras lack of accountability at the present moment. Same shock/strut system for 2013 models on these to vehicles.

Please keep us posted. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Patels1995
This is good what you did. I will follow this through until I've exhausted all avenues as well.
It is absolutely not normal for a vehicle to sound like this when it's new. When parts begin to wear out then yes.
If everyone with this problem would register a formal complaint something will get done about it. Acura's market share is too small to ignore major annoyances like this
Spirited Driver (02-28-2013)
Old 03-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Can someone post the info needed to file a complaint such as an address, e-mail, website, ect. If someone posts I will do a complaint as well since I occasionaly experience the same issue when I go over sudden dips in the road
Old 03-01-2013, 07:03 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Call customer relation, the numbers are in the instruction manual....
Old 03-02-2013, 08:25 AM
Cruisin'

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Day 38 (as the owner of a new 2013 RDX):

It’s been over a month since my last post and I wanted to update everyone.

The problem is not fixed. Although to local dealer has been good to me, they are helpless to take any action on their own. They have reported the issue through their tech channels, but have had no resolution or even any suggestions back from then other that letting some air out of the tires.

I did call Acura Customer Relations to register my complaint. I got a call back from someone who said it was a normal condition of the car. We had a very nice argument. They would not even admit that others have called and complained. I was very surprised and disappointed with Acura.

Summary notes to everyone on this discussion:

1) CALL AND COMPLAIN. Although it has been said throughout this discussion, EVERYONE SHOULD CALL ACURA AND COMPLAIN. (800) 382-2238. If you have already called in the past, like myself, CALL AGAIN.

I plan to call on FRIDAY, MARCH 8. You might consider also calling on March 8. Wouldn’t it be great it they received lots of call all on the same day?

2) YOUR RDX IS NOW WORTH LESS. We should all realize that our RDXs are now going to have greater depreciation. Personally I like to think that any Honda product, especially Acura, would hold its value well above other vehicles. But unfortunately my 2013 RDX, and your RDX 2013 is now worth less than it should be, due to Acura not fixing this problem for us.

And finally,

3) UNDERSTAND THIS ISSUE BEFORE YOU PURCHASE THIS VEHICLE. Too late for mostly everyone on this discussion thread obviously, but if you are considering a 2013 RDX, or ILX, you should know about this, and test drive your actual vehicle over some bumpy roads before signing your contract.

I will continue to watch this discussion, and hope to see some action by Acura soon.

NOTE TO ACURA: WAKE UP!!!
Old 03-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ovation
Day 38 (as the owner of a new 2013 RDX):

It’s been over a month since my last post and I wanted to update everyone.

The problem is not fixed. Although to local dealer has been good to me, they are helpless to take any action on their own. They have reported the issue through their tech channels, but have had no resolution or even any suggestions back from then other that letting some air out of the tires.

I did call Acura Customer Relations to register my complaint. I got a call back from someone who said it was a normal condition of the car. We had a very nice argument. They would not even admit that others have called and complained. I was very surprised and disappointed with Acura.

Summary notes to everyone on this discussion:

1) CALL AND COMPLAIN. Although it has been said throughout this discussion, EVERYONE SHOULD CALL ACURA AND COMPLAIN. (800) 382-2238. If you have already called in the past, like myself, CALL AGAIN.

I plan to call on FRIDAY, MARCH 8. You might consider also calling on March 8. Wouldn’t it be great it they received lots of call all on the same day?

2) YOUR RDX IS NOW WORTH LESS. We should all realize that our RDXs are now going to have greater depreciation. Personally I like to think that any Honda product, especially Acura, would hold its value well above other vehicles. But unfortunately my 2013 RDX, and your RDX 2013 is now worth less than it should be, due to Acura not fixing this problem for us.

And finally,

3) UNDERSTAND THIS ISSUE BEFORE YOU PURCHASE THIS VEHICLE. Too late for mostly everyone on this discussion thread obviously, but if you are considering a 2013 RDX, or ILX, you should know about this, and test drive your actual vehicle over some bumpy roads before signing your contract.

I will continue to watch this discussion, and hope to see some action by Acura soon.

NOTE TO ACURA: WAKE UP!!!
While I completely agree with points 1 and 3, I take exception to point 2.
The car is not worthless and the problem is 100% fixable. It's all about the rear shocks! They are what is causing the noise. Once Acura wakes up and smells the coffee, they will fix the problem. If not the aftermarket will step in and do it.
I've been driving clunk free for 2 months now with the Monroe (1998 Odyssey) shocks I installed. I had some noise return but that turned out to be a lower shock mount bolt torque value issue that I have since corrected.
The car is solid and rattle free the way it should be.
If there is no resolution from Acura by May, I will do up an instruction guide complete with pictures for those that are like me and can't stand rattles and clunks.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:29 PM
Suzuka Master

hand-filer....I agree with your assessment of point #2....I felt it was a bit too strong to say the RDX would be worthless. I appreciate your willingness to post some information here to help fellow RDX owners who would like to replace their rear suspension equipment to get rid of the clunk. In light of the sale success of the RDX, Acura better wake and show good will ASAP and recognize their is an abnormality with the OEM shocks and get the problem fixed sooner than later....either it will cost them more with a TSB that will affect an enormous number (at the rate these are selling) or in their reputation.

To the Acura folks who monitors these sites....PAY ATTENTION
Old 03-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
I don't think ovation is claiming the RDX is worthless, but rather worth less, as in not as valuable. He/she is concerned about additional depreciation because of the clunking issue.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HotRodW
I don't think ovation is claiming the RDX is worthless, but rather worth less, as in not as valuable. He/she is concerned about additional depreciation because of the clunking issue.
My bad. I read too fast.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:30 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Had mine since the first of June, and so far no problems of this type at all. Live in Dallas, so not very cold, but pretty crappy streets here... Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mikey Dallas
Had mine since the first of June, and so far no problems of this type at all. Live in Dallas, so not very cold, but pretty crappy streets here... Keeping my fingers crossed.
From all the owners I've seen so far (ILX & RDX) who are experiencing these suspension noises; we all seem to live in places where the temperatures is cooler.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by HotRodW
I read it correctly but wrote it incorrectly in here. As much as I know it annoys us, I am not sure that people will be paying less if we sell our RDX because of the noise in the rear suspension. The RDX is selling like crazy and must be for a reason. I am not saying that the noise is acceptable nor should we not be annoyed by it, but its too early to determine the full impact of this noise. The same can be said about the ILX.

I am not sure how the transmission problem in the 3G affect the resale price, and quite honestly, that was a REAL problem.

Spirited Driver....I know that I am one who lives a snow/cold climate....a &*#*()*@ climate to be honest!! I never heard it until it got colder. I will be reporting once (OR IF) we ever warm up again....
Old 03-11-2013, 11:52 AM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
It's back in the 40's around my home and the clunking is really bad again. I'm thinking there's a temperature range between 35 and 50 where the issue gets bad. Colder and it seemed to improve for me. Warmer and there's no problem.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
I bought my RDX in late Sept 12. To date I haven't noticed any large clunking from the rear over crappy Chicago area roads. The temps this winter were between -10F and 50F. Do you suppose there may have been more than one vender for the rear shocks and some have problems and others don't???
Old 03-11-2013, 05:39 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by geocord
I bought my RDX in late Sept 12. To date I haven't noticed any large clunking from the rear over crappy Chicago area roads. The temps this winter were between -10F and 50F. Do you suppose there may have been more than one vender for the rear shocks and some have problems and others don't???
No, as of a few days ago anyway. I had my Serv. Director check on just that very thing. No....there has not been a vendor or part # change since the '13 RDX's have been produced. Many dealers have been changing rear shocks because owner's are complaining. Some serv. dept's. have changed some due to leaking.....which is premature for shocks with basically pretty low mileage.

I know many have complained, some directly to Acura home office. I've had the issue with mine, but, after inspecting while on the lift mine are not leaking. I'm going to wait and see what comes of all this. IF an aftermarket shock company of high quality ever makes a replacement for this shock I will buy them and put them on. I firmly believe that the shocks being put on our RDX's just are not "quite right." The have the newly designed 2 way valving system that is not working as designed....IMHO. For the most part shocks are not that expensive. IF Acura does come out with a "better shock" then I will try them.....with a warranty replacement of course!!!
Old 03-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Today I took the lead mechanic of my Acura dealership for a drive. Hit a sunken manhole cover with the left wheel. Clunk. Hit another one with the right wheel. Clunk. He said that is not normal. He mentioned that he had replaced a leaking unit in another customer's RDX recently.

The mechanic told me that Acura (Canada) knows about this problem and it is under investigation. In the mean time he is going to replace both shocks.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
No, as of a few days ago anyway. I had my Serv. Director check on just that very thing. No....there has not been a vendor or part # change since the '13 RDX's have been produced. Many dealers have been changing rear shocks because owner's are complaining. Some serv. dept's. have changed some due to leaking.....which is premature for shocks with basically pretty low mileage.

I know many have complained, some directly to Acura home office. I've had the issue with mine, but, after inspecting while on the lift mine are not leaking. I'm going to wait and see what comes of all this. IF an aftermarket shock company of high quality ever makes a replacement for this shock I will buy them and put them on. I firmly believe that the shocks being put on our RDX's just are not "quite right." The have the newly designed 2 way valving system that is not working as designed....IMHO. For the most part shocks are not that expensive. IF Acura does come out with a "better shock" then I will try them.....with a warranty replacement of course!!!
You said the the query was made about a vendor or part # change. A change in vendors is a different question than two different suppliers providing at the same time due to demand. Just a thought.

If the same exact shocks are used and one doesn't hear any noise whatsoever is it just that some shocks may be defective while others are fine??? Curiouser and curiouser.......

I have a Tundra with the sport suspension. It rolls on a sharp turn to a point and then it locks down like on rails. Pretty neat actually. I was expecting something similar when I first read about the new RDX's suspension system. But I feel no lock down when I go around a curve at speed.......just more lean. It's not a boat by any means but it's not quite what I expected either. I have to say that my 2wd V8 Tundra Sportside P/U feels sportier in the sharp curves and turns then my RDX which doesn't really bother me but I expected the RDX to at least do as well.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by geocord
You said the the query was made about a vendor or part # change. A change in vendors is a different question than two different suppliers providing at the same time due to demand. Just a thought.
My understanding is the shocks are the same....have been the same....no changes....still coming from the same supplier in Mexico.

"universal traveler" wrote a thread in the "Problems & Fixes" section on Feb. 8th....and said that Zimbrick Acura in Middleton, Wisconsin told him that there was a mid cycle change. But, again, my Mgr. called them and was told that was not true. Hmmm!!!!
Anyway, mine are not leaking.....I do have the "thumping -- loose panel noise" when hitting certain bumps.....but, for right now....it's not serious enough for me to get all bent out of shape about it until I hear more from Acura....my Mgr.....or from SOMEBODY connected to Acura who knows what the hell is going on with them.

It's certainly NOT a deal breaker concerning the decision to still "like" my RDX. We love it. Some folks on here get way out of shape and want to start looking for that "perfect SUV".....and, guess what????.....it's not out there! We have one of the best made for the money. There will be some issues at times.....this is not a huge deal.....in my "mechanical mind." LOL!! Got lot's of years of wrench turning, tech. school instructor, heavy equipment trainer, aircraft trainer, etc...to help me with knowing this is not a SERIOUS issue. Worthy enough for our attention and wanting an answer.....sure.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by I_Like_Scotch
The mechanic told me that Acura (Canada) knows about this problem and it is under investigation. In the mean time he is going to replace both shocks.
That is the second time I read about Acura Canada being aware of the problem which is a good thing. Glad that the folks at Balmoral Acura have looked after you. Being a former Thunder Bay resident, it is always nice to see some owners from the former town I lived in. I am from the East Coast but I loved the 2.5 years I spent there.....Great place and great people!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by I_Like_Scotch
Not only are they aware of it but the fix has been under development for a while now. The noise is also prevalent on a Honda model as well. My source has been advised by Honda Engineering to expect replacement dampers by the end of April or early May. And that's for our RDX's
Old 03-11-2013, 10:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by hand-filer
Not only are they aware of it but the fix has been under development for a while now. The noise is also prevalent on a Honda model as well. My source has been advised by Honda Engineering to expect replacement dampers by the end of April or early May. And that's for our RDX's
Interesting. Hear anything like this about the ILX's?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
That is the second time I read about Acura Canada being aware of the problem which is a good thing. Glad that the folks at Balmoral Acura have looked after you. Being a former Thunder Bay resident, it is always nice to see some owners from the former town I lived in. I am from the East Coast but I loved the 2.5 years I spent there.....Great place and great people!
Cool! It's not every day I come across someone on the net from Thunder Bay. Were you up here for school or work?

I have dealt with Balmoral Park for many years, even when I did not own an Acura. Fantastic service department, the best I have ever seen.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:37 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
As posted by members in the ILX forum.... I find it incredulous that there are only 7 reports of this. But maybe now Acura will address this.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...bruary_update/

We previously mentioned a thud from our ILX’s rear suspension – a sound like a ball bouncing around the cargo hold whenever the Acura went over curbing or bumps. Hoping to figure out the cause, we looked under the car but could not find an obvious culprit. We couldn’t help but conjecture that the dampers were gone, but that seemed unlikely for a brand-new Honda product. The ILX subsequently made it through its first service without raising any red flags.

After being driven around in our ILX, he confirmed that we weren’t insane.

The odd thud continued, however, so we met with master technician Dan Brinkman at Ann Arbor Acura. After being driven around in the ILX, he confirmed that we weren’t insane. That said, this was a noise Brinkman hadn’t encountered before, and he wasn’t sure what was causing it. Back at the shop, he put the ILX on a lift to take a look at its chassis. After some pulling and pushing, he found some play in the gas tank mounting. Brinkman took a chunk of foam and shoved it between the tank and its bracket, filling the gap. Simple fix, right? We were relieved—until we went on another test drive. The “thump in the trunk” persisted.

Brinkman got gung ho. He wired the ILX’s rear suspension with his “chassis ears,” devices that are placed in the vicinity of a noise to help mechanics pinpoint the source. After a couple of long drives with a fellow mechanic, Brinkman concluded that the sound we’d been hearing was coming from the rear dampers. He called Acura’s tech line and learned that seven ILX owners nationwide had experienced the same thing; they advised him to replace both rear dampers under warranty. After a call to his parts guy, Brinkman had the dampers later that day and we picked up our ILX the following morning. During the drive back to the office, we didn’t hear the annoying thud once.
hand-filer (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 12:58 PM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
. But maybe now Acura will address this.

At least it will be more difficult for them to deny it.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the thumping noise from day one I picked the car up about a month ago. I really hated the noise in the car that is otherwise so quite and runs smoothly. Temperatures in Southern Ontario are getting warmer and with it the noise has completely disappeared. She has around 1000 miles on the odometer.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:33 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
Hi Hand-Filer. I went on the Monroe web site and downloaded the following:
http://www.monroe.com/assets/downloa...engthSheet.pdf
Is this what you used to determine a close replacement for the RDX rear shock? Do you still have the "stock" unit to confirm these measurements? If the Odessy unit is the one to use, you may have solved the problems of alot of people. I had both of mine replaced, and it still makes noise over large bumps.

Quick Reply: Clunking from rear