Caliper painting 2014 RDX TECH AWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 08:30 AM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Caliper painting 2014 RDX TECH AWD

So its been three years and my calipers are looking like crap. So I decided to paint them. Make sure to mask everything you don't want painted. Put masking tape over rubber boots covering the caliper pins. Also use high quality rust oleum Caliper Paint. Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Caliper painting 2014 RDX TECH AWD-img_0611.jpg   Caliper painting 2014 RDX TECH AWD-img_0612.jpg  
Old 04-29-2017, 08:49 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I did the same thing to my TSX, RDX and MDX. I went with black to hide the brake dust a little better.
The following users liked this post:
Acc20yrs (04-29-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 09:02 AM
Racer

This is how they looked before painting

This is how crappy they looked before painting tthem.
Attached Thumbnails Caliper painting 2014 RDX TECH AWD-img_0615.jpg   Caliper painting 2014 RDX TECH AWD-img_0614.jpg  
Old 04-29-2017, 09:57 AM
Racer

Finished product

This is how the finished product looks like. Pretty good I think.
Attached Thumbnails Caliper painting 2014 RDX TECH AWD-img_0618.jpg   Caliper painting 2014 RDX TECH AWD-img_0617.jpg   Caliper painting 2014 RDX TECH AWD-img_0613.jpg  
Old 04-29-2017, 10:47 AM
Racer

900 degree caliper paimt

This is the caliper paint I used, got it at Home Depot.
Attached Thumbnails Caliper painting 2014 RDX TECH AWD-img_0616.jpg  
Old 04-29-2017, 10:56 AM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts
Nice job Acc20! I did the same but used Duplicolor brush on ceramic and took my calipers and brackets off (didn't disconnect the brake hose though). That saves a 'lot' of masking and it's easier to get everything cleaned up.

Whatever way it's done the end result is totally worth it.

Cheers
The following users liked this post:
Acc20yrs (04-29-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 01:05 PM
Racer

Thanks

Originally Posted by Gadgetjq
Nice job Acc20! I did the same but used Duplicolor brush on ceramic and took my calipers and brackets off (didn't disconnect the brake hose though). That saves a 'lot' of masking and it's easier to get everything cleaned up.

Whatever way it's done the end result is totally worth it.

Cheers
Thank you. I am not savy enough to dismantle the calipers but I hear what you are saying :-)

Last edited by Acc20yrs; 04-29-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:15 PM
Racer

Thanks

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I did the same thing to my TSX, RDX and MDX. I went with black to hide the brake dust a little better.
Black should be very nice too! Thanks for your post! :-)
Old 04-29-2017, 10:11 PM
Racer

This paint is break dust resistant!
Old 04-30-2017, 09:10 AM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Very nice, my 2014 looks like your before picture. One thing, and I know it's stupid, but I really like the Acura cap cover on the front brakes. Too bad they nixed that for my 2017.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:05 AM
Racer

Acura cap

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
Very nice, my 2014 looks like your before picture. One thing, and I know it's stupid, but I really like the Acura cap cover on the front brakes. Too bad they nixed that for my 2017.
Hi yes I completely agree the Acura caliper cap is nice, I don't know why Acura did away with it on later models. I would think you can still order them online and add them yourself. It's just two bolts for what I could see. Anyway, if your calipers are looking like mine did, paint them, they will look nicer an probably protect the metal as well. Thanks for stopping by and for your comment! :-)
Old 04-30-2017, 11:08 AM
Racer

Another thing I did (about five months ago) was replace the stock rotors with drilled and slotted ones for added cooling. I also like the look of them, so far I have not seen any other RDX (around my town at least) with these rotors on it.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Just a couple pointers:

1. Make sure to sand all the rust off. If you don't, it will eventually resurface, regardless of how much paint you out over top. Il be honest, I don't know the science behind it (you would think the paint traps the rust in), but it will appear again. If the brakes are fairly new, you should be able to get away with sanding by hand (in your case, it looks to be removable by hand). If the rust is substantial (like 5+ years of corrosion), you'll need power tools or air tools, such as a die grinder, to remove it.

Yes, it sucks, but the #1 rule when it comes to painting is the better you prep your surface prior to painting, the better the paint will look and last. Also, wear a N95 rated mask when you are sanding. Don't inhale that stuff!! They are readily available at any hardware store, wherever they have ear plugs and safety glasses. The masks are cheap too. Like $5-7.

2. Holy paint runs, batman! It looks like you were spraying the paint on really heavy. It's better to do multiple, thin layered coats. I struggled with this when I started painting, but learned over time to consistently hold the paint can about 12" away. Your first two coats will be very thin. Don't worry. They are actually acting as an adhesion layer, and will let the subsequent coats layer on thicker. Wait about 10-15 minutes between coats.

3. It's a good idea to remove the calipers when painting them. You can hang them with a wire through one of the mounting holes. Why? Anywhere you weren't able to hit with paint will continue corroding, and will spray underneath the newly painted surfaces, causing the paint to flake off over time.

Also, push the brake piston all the way in, and then cover it with tape also. No need to paint it or the rubber seals.

4. It's a good idea to tape off the wheel studs. When you go to screw the lug nuts back on, you are effectively trapping paint chips in there, which may ruin the threads on the stud or lug nut. If you do paint them, no biggie. With just your hand, screw the lug nut on until it gets tight. Then back it off all the way, blow out the paint that accumulated, and do it again. It may take 5 times to get it all the way on. The last thing you want is to strip a thread. It's not guaranteed to happen, but it sucks if it does.

5. Consider covering everything you painted with clear coat. It will add strength to the paint, a bit of gloss and will keep the paint looking good, longer.

otherwise, happy modding! I bought those same caliper covers for my TL, but, I painted mine to match the rest of my brakes. I lightly sanded them to get good paint adhesion, then painted them. I applied a high temperature vinyl "ACURA" decal over top, to give it that OEM look again. The decals are readily available on eBay... Just make sure you aren't paying a fortune for them... some sellers are a complete rip off!!
Old 04-30-2017, 02:30 PM
Racer

Thanks for the pointers

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Just a couple pointers:

1. Make sure to sand all the rust off. If you don't, it will eventually resurface, regardless of how much paint you out over top. Il be honest, I don't know the science behind it (you would think the paint traps the rust in), but it will appear again. If the brakes are fairly new, you should be able to get away with sanding by hand (in your case, it looks to be removable by hand). If the rust is substantial (like 5+ years of corrosion), you'll need power tools or air tools, such as a die grinder, to remove it.

Yes, it sucks, but the #1 rule when it comes to painting is the better you prep your surface prior to painting, the better the paint will look and last. Also, wear a N95 rated mask when you are sanding. Don't inhale that stuff!! They are readily available at any hardware store, wherever they have ear plugs and safety glasses. The masks are cheap too. Like $5-7.

2. Holy paint runs, batman! It looks like you were spraying the paint on really heavy. It's better to do multiple, thin layered coats. I struggled with this when I started painting, but learned over time to consistently hold the paint can about 12" away. Your first two coats will be very thin. Don't worry. They are actually acting as an adhesion layer, and will let the subsequent coats layer on thicker. Wait about 10-15 minutes between coats.

3. It's a good idea to remove the calipers when painting them. You can hang them with a wire through one of the mounting holes. Why? Anywhere you weren't able to hit with paint will continue corroding, and will spray underneath the newly painted surfaces, causing the paint to flake off over time.

Also, push the brake piston all the way in, and then cover it with tape also. No need to paint it or the rubber seals.

4. It's a good idea to tape off the wheel studs. When you go to screw the lug nuts back on, you are effectively trapping paint chips in there, which may ruin the threads on the stud or lug nut. If you do paint them, no biggie. With just your hand, screw the lug nut on until it gets tight. Then back it off all the way, blow out the paint that accumulated, and do it again. It may take 5 times to get it all the way on. The last thing you want is to strip a thread. It's not guaranteed to happen, but it sucks if it does.

5. Consider covering everything you painted with clear coat. It will add strength to the paint, a bit of gloss and will keep the paint looking good, longer.

otherwise, happy modding! I bought those same caliper covers for my TL, but, I painted mine to match the rest of my brakes. I lightly sanded them to get good paint adhesion, then painted them. I applied a high temperature vinyl "ACURA" decal over top, to give it that OEM look again. The decals are readily available on eBay... Just make sure you aren't paying a fortune for them... some sellers are a complete rip off!!
Thanks for the pointers Tacobello! I saw the paint run but I didn't care because it is right behind the rim base and you can't see it with the wheel on. Other than that everything came out to my satisfaction. Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Happy modding!