Brief review: Acura RDX vs Lexus NX vs Porsche Macan S

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 10:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brief review: Acura RDX vs Lexus NX vs Porsche Macan S

I test drove an 2016 Acura RDX Tech back to back with a 2015 Lexus NX 200t F-Sport. The 2015 Porsche Macan S was also on my list but my local Porsche dealer only had one and a customer had just recently purchased it, so I wasn't allowed to drive it. (I did sit in it, check out the interior, play with the infotainment and start the engine.)

Some relevant facts about me:

I'm 6'2, 200 lbs and currently drive a 2001 Honda Accord Coupe (V6 EX-L) which I purchased new.

My thoughts:

Ride quality: I drove a 15 mile loop consisting of highway and streets in various conditions. I found the suspension on the RDX to be slightly stiffer. The RDX also had a noisier interior. Steering feel in both was about the same. (Good.)

Random observation: The NX had a much tighter turning radius.

Seats: Granted, I didn't go on any long road trips, but based on my limited exposure I'd say the Porsche had the most comfortable seats, followed by the NX with the RDX coming in 3rd. (For the record, the Porsche was equipped with the 14-way seats.)

For each of the cars, to test the rear seats for comfort I sat behind myself. Shockingly, I found that he rear seats in the NX were the most comfortable of the 3 cars. This was despite the fact that it has far less rear leg space than the RDX. The reason? The rear seats in the NX recline.

Interior: Aesthetically speaking, the NX has a better interior than the Porsche and a far better interior than the RDX. The RDX was just a sea of black and what texture changes existed weren't enough to break it up. There was also far too much hard plastic that was visible. This was made all the more apparent having just driven the NX just an hour prior. The RDX is the cheaper of the three vehicles and this is where it shows. The Porsche had the Luxor Beige interior and while it had next to no hard plastics showing, it was very monochromatic. Porsche offers dual-tone interiors with contrast stitching at additional cost, however.

In terms of space, the RDX had the most spacious interior by far. Sitting behind myself in the RDX, I still had several inches of space in front of my knees. In the NX, my knees touched the front seat back. In the Macan? My knees were *in* the front seat back.

Oh, one thing that took me by surprise: I found the Porsche headunit to be rather ugly and detracted from the rest of the dash.

Engine: The V6 in the RDX was much smoother than the turbo I4 in the NX. That isn't to say that the I4 was bad - as far as 4-bangers are concerned, it was pretty good. But, you know what they say: There's no replacement for displacement. Or cylinder count. One thing that the NX had in it favor that I found I liked was the fact that you could alter the throttle response by changing the drive mode from ECO to Normal to Sport.

As far as the Porsche is concerned: It had a pretty badass sounding exhaust when you started the engine (or when you hit the throttle) otherwise it would settle down to a reasonable level as to not be too obnoxious. Nice.

Speaking of exhaust notes: The RDX had a nice one, too. Gotta love that V6.

Transmission: They both had 6 speeds. In terms of smoothness, they both seemed to be on par with each other. However, the NX allowed you to adjust shift points via it's "Drive Mode Select" feature. Something I found myself liking.

Infotainment: In each car, I played with the nav, the hands free and the audio interface and, well, they all suck. It's just a question of degree and how.

As far as physical interfaces are concerned, I liked the haptic touchpad in the NX the most. It uses gestures that everyone that has used a laptop should be familiar with and it's placement was ideal. (Just underneath your hand when resting your elbow on the center console.) I thought the knob in the RDX was horribly placed - I had to lean forward a bit to use it. The Porsche was slightly better than the RDX here due to it's use of a touch screen - instead of using a stupid knob you could just click on the UI element you wanted directly. Less fuss that way.

As far as software / user experience is concerned, again, they all suck. The RDX probably had the most organized menus of the 3, followed by the Porsche. The NX was a bit schizophrenic here. This would probably be less of an issue once you got used to each systems layout.

The Voice Recognition in the RDX wasn't all that great. I used it to enter an address for the nav system. It's definitely an improvement over the 2015 model in that you don't need to wait for the system to finish talking. However, I had to tap the "talk" button more than I should have, it wasn't that quick and I had to repeat myself a couple times anyway. Meh.

Speaking of navigation: It's a $3000 option on the Porsche. If you find yourself special ordering a Macan, do yourself a favor and skip it.

On the NX, the upgraded audio system is part of the nav package. A $2100 option.

Audio:

I consider myself a bit of an audio snob and am picky about sound. I played the same two tracks in each car over their bluetooth interfaces at low to moderate volumes from my HTC One (M7) running stock Android 5.1. I used PowerAmp to play the music. One track was an orchestral piece the other was EDM. Both are very dynamic tracks. I made sure that all the EQ settings were zeroed out. Unfortunately, I didn't have a cable with me to test using each cars aux jack.

That said, the ELS system in the RDX was the best sounding of the bunch. However, this was marred by the fact that the ELS system was also the laggiest: Changing tracks took a couple of seconds to register whereas on the other two systems it was instant. After changing tracks a few times, this got really irritating. Of course, this problem would go away by using an aux jack, but still...

The "premium" system in the NX was decent. Not bad, but not great either. It's definitely a step up from the factory system in my Accord due to the integrated sub.

The Porsche had the "upgraded" Bose audio. In typical Bose fashion, the subwoofer didn't blend with the rest of the speakers. (Something the other two systems accomplished well.) This could be due to a bad crossover frequency setting. However, it's more likely that Bose just cheaped out on the sub and it's not able to cover the frequency range that it should. What really gets my goat here is that the Bose "upgrade" costs $1400. What. The. Fuck?

On a personal note: I'm surprised at how far bluetooth audio as come. I played with bluetooth audio a few years ago and the quality was horrible. (Compression artifacts were easily audible.)

In conclusion:

Prior to my test drives today, I'd thought I'd choose the RDX over the NX. As of today, that is no longer the case. If I'm spending more than $40,000 on a vehicle, I want one with a nice interior. The interior of the RDX is merely "adequate". In fact, taken as a whole, the RDX serves as a reminder (to me) that Acura isn't really a luxury brand but merely a premium one. For my needs and desires, the only thing the RDX really has going for it is the engine. Unfortunately for Acura, that's probably not going to be enough for me to spend my dollars in their product when the time comes.

As far as the Porsche Macan S is concerned, I'm scheduled to take one out for a test drive in a few weeks. A year ago I lusted after the Macan. Now? Not so much. The pricing on options borders on offensive, the trunk is small, the back seat borders on unusable, it's reliability is unknown, and maintenance won't be cheap. It has loads of performance, however that is largely wasted on me. I don't plan on taking the thing to a racetrack and my Accord is fast enough for my tastes. (0-60 in 7.0 sec when new.)

Unless my Accord breaks down tomorrow, I'll be waiting until November for the Mercedes GLC. If it did break down tomorrow, I'll get a Lexus NX 200t F-Sport.

Last edited by FrostyZoob; 06-20-2015 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:28 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm curious what is the price differences in these models with the break downs you mentioned. Is this Canadian or US? I felt I may have been interested in the NX F-Sport, but I seemed to only end up with thousands more to get the same stuff out of the NX. I also am partial to the space. The RDX is going to support 3 dogs; and probably kids in the next few years... Perhaps I was more wowed by it because when you sit in a Hyundai and then in an RDX, it looks beautiful. I'm also not a huge fan of the NX looks.. I guess just to each their own.
The following users liked this post:
5 Acuras (06-20-2015)
Old 06-21-2015, 06:44 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nicer review.
I landed up driving all the German and Japanese SUVs in the marker.
Wanted to remain within the $40K, 6 cylinder and cross-over boundary, hence went with the RDX.
Have had it for 2 weeks and liking it thus far.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:28 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jennifra
I'm curious what is the price differences in these models with the break downs you mentioned. Is this Canadian or US? I felt I may have been interested in the NX F-Sport, but I seemed to only end up with thousands more to get the same stuff out of the NX. I also am partial to the space. The RDX is going to support 3 dogs; and probably kids in the next few years...
I'm in the US.

As for the price, the NX I specc'd (with all the major options included) was about $3k more than an RDX Advance AWD. As far as I can tell, this gets you as close to feature parity as you could get between these two models.

I can see why you'd think you're spending "thousands more to get the same stuff out of the NX" but look closer and you'll realize that you're getting your moneys worth out of that additional $3k:
  • Dual-tone interior with contrast stitching
  • Larger moonroof
  • Standard roof rails
  • Adjustable rear seats
  • Higher tow rating (2000 vs 1500 lbs)
  • Quieter interior
With 3 dogs and kids, the RDX is a no brainer. I don't have pets and I don't plan on having kids, so my priorities are different. If the RDX had the interior of, say, the TLX or MDX, I might have a different tune. Even if it did cost more.

The NX exterior is polarizing, definitely.

Perhaps I was more wowed by it because when you sit in a Hyundai and then in an RDX, it looks beautiful. I'm also not a huge fan of the NX looks.. I guess just to each their own.
You're comparing an Acura to a Hyundai. A Hyundai. I'm not knocking you, but this says a lot about Acura and none of it is good.

Last edited by FrostyZoob; 06-21-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:34 AM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by FrostyZoob
I'm in the US.
  • Dual-tone interior with contrast stitching
  • Larger moonroof
  • Standard roof rails
  • Adjustable rear seats
  • Higher tow rating (2000 vs 1500 lbs)
  • Quieter interior
You should mention also the flaws that come with the NX such almost half trunk space and turbo lag, and less powerful engine.
In my opinion the smaller moonroof is actually an advantage here in Texas.
Also, I wonder how many people tow with a small SUV like the NX or RDX, that's not a deal breaker for those who look in this segment.

That being said, I was really close to buy the NX, beautiful car.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:59 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Of those three, I'd definitely pick the 2016 RDX. The extra space and the V6 put it over the top with me. For my needs, the RDX is about as small as is practical. Personally, I hate sunroofs for a variety of reasons, so smaller (or none) is an advantage to me.

The Porsche is a cool SUV, but as has been mentioned, the price with just a couple of options becomes obscene.

I just don't find the NX attractive at all from the A-pillar forward, but I can see why someone whose priority is not space might choose one over an RDX.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:35 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Murrow
I just don't find the NX attractive at all from the A-pillar forward, but I can see why someone whose priority is not space might choose one over an RDX.
I don't find the entire exterior attractive at all! I wonder what the target demographic is for the NX. If it were a bunch of old farts that did not like the design, I could understand, but I'm a mid-30's single guy and while it's anecdotal at best, general consensus with people around my age that I know wouldn't purchase the NX for the exterior style alone.

Lexus does seem to have a more premium interior, but if premium interior was my goal, I'd head on over to the Germans. That said, given the option between the RDX and NX, I'd rather stare at the RDX interior all day any day.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by yeoyes

Lexus does seem to have a more premium interior, but if premium interior was my goal, I'd head on over to the Germans. That said, given the option between the RDX and NX, I'd rather stare at the RDX interior all day any day.

I myself wouldn't even bother looking at the Germans. Lexus interiors are fantastic and the bullet proof reliability Lexus is known for would have me choosing them over the Germans.

The only hate I have for Lexus is that they refuse to utilize a manual transmission in their sporty cars, and I understand why, but it still sucks. For an SUV it makes no difference and as such, I would easily choose this car over any other competitor of theirs.

Overall, I'm finding it harder and harder not to buy a Lexus next. They really got their shit together these days. While I can understand their styling isn't for everyone, I very much enjoy it these days. To be fair though, it did take me awhile to get used to it though.

I find Acura interiors do nothing for me these days. There's toot much bland, wasted space. Their dashes just look empty to me. I never thought I'd choose a Lexus over an Acura, but since Acura lost their sportiness, I have a hard time choosing them over any other manufacturer- they just don't stand out to me

Edit: you should sit inside both cars and make that claim about the interiors. You're likely the first person I've heard say they like the RDX over the NX. Being a honda biased forum, I'm sure there are others who feel the same, but outside of here, I dunno...

Last edited by TacoBello; 06-21-2015 at 12:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TacoBello:
Jakes_tl (06-24-2015), weather (06-21-2015)
Old 06-21-2015, 12:49 PM
Instructor

Somewhat critical review on the Lexus NT:

So all in all what do I think of the NX 200t F-Sport? I think that this car is a great start, and that it has a solid powerplant that proved to be quite capable of hauling all two tons of the car and my portly posterior around town in quite a zippy manner. The car has a good ride height, and doesn’t suffer from too much understeer or body roll in the corners. It has tech gadgets galore, and a satisfactorily spacious interior that is both compact and quiet as well. But I get the feeling that Lexus went so far out of the box on this one that they may have forgotten who their target audience was in the first place.

The F-Sport version of the NX suffers from an identity crisis of epic proportions. It cannot appeal to most mothers, due to a general lack of space, overly stiff suspension, and tech features that are merely unnecessary. The paddle shifters and tiptronic shift knob are nice and sporty, but moms don’t want to worry about downshifting when they are cruising around the ‘burbs. And with features like a little pop-out hand-held mirror in the center console, it is pretty obvious that Lexus wants to target the female demographic. Lord knows I wouldn’t have any need for a small detachable Lexus mirror.

While this car is certainly compact, sporty, and super stylish by some people’s standards, it cannot make up its mind if it wants to be aggressive or refined half the time. This makes me wonder how many people are going to be interested in coughing up the extra cash for a car that is still just a crossover at the end of the day. Sure, it has features galore and tech to back it up, but most people don’t buy a small SUV for sports car-like characteristics. Just the sound of it borderlines on being an oxymoron.
Full article here: Here?s What You Can Expect from Lexus? New Turbocharged NX
Old 06-21-2015, 01:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TacoBello

Edit: you should sit inside both cars and make that claim about the interiors. You're likely the first person I've heard say they like the RDX over the NX. Being a honda biased forum, I'm sure there are others who feel the same, but outside of here, I dunno...
I've sat in both. The NX felt cramped and I'm sort of on the small side (5'7" 165lbs). I have nothing against Lexus. My friend purchased an RX model several months ago and it's a great car for its purpose. My parents also have the LX model. It's the most comfortable and boring car for long roadtrips.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I definitely prefer NX's design over RDX's, both interior and exterior. I found it more modern and edgier. But that is just my personal taste. However, I do prefer RDX's V6 and larger cargo space like other's have said, and would pick RDX for these two reasons alone. Had NX have V6 and about same cargo space, I would be willing to pay a bit higher price for it.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:22 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Isn't the macan gonna be 60k with a couple options?
Old 06-21-2015, 02:34 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I like the idea of the NX. I just wish the shrinkage on the inside matched up with a comparable reduction in footprint and overall size. Seems they went out of their way to bulk up the front end and keep the length much closer to the RX than necessary.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I do find it interesting that you're considering the Macan, but not the GLK, X3, Q5 and especially the new GLC. The Macan is pretty big price jump from Lexus and Acura.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:16 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HotRodW
Thanks for sharing. I do find it interesting that you're considering the Macan, but not the GLK, X3, Q5 and especially the new GLC. The Macan is pretty big price jump from Lexus and Acura.
RE: The Macan. Considered would be more accurate. See the end of my first post for why. As for the rest, I have considered those too:
  • GLK - Too old. Replaced by the GLC this November.
  • X3 - No ventilated seats. Everyone seems to have one. Interiors aren't that great, IMO. Especially for the price.
  • Q5 - Too old. Due for a refresh next year. Assuming I'm in the market then, I might consider it. (I had considered a used one, but it's difficult to find one with ventilated seats. A lot of whats on the used market - in my area anyway - were lease specials with the 2.0T engine and next to no options on them.)
  • GLC - I *am* considering one. (Again, see the end of the first post.)
Old 06-21-2015, 07:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
RE: The Macan. Considered would be more accurate. See the end of my first post for why. As for the rest, I have considered those too:
  • GLK - Too old. Replaced by the GLC this November.
  • X3 - No ventilated seats. Everyone seems to have one. Interiors aren't that great, IMO. Especially for the price.
  • Q5 - Too old. Due for a refresh next year. Assuming I'm in the market then, I might consider it. (I had considered a used one, but it's difficult to find one with ventilated seats. A lot of whats on the used market - in my area anyway - were lease specials with the 2.0T engine and next to no options on them.)
  • GLC - I *am* considering one. (Again, see the end of the first post.)
Sorry - I totally missed the comment about the GLC. I think it's going to do really well, although I'm a little disappointed it's going to lose its unique styling. I agree about the X3. Like most BMW's, it's overrated anyway. The Q5 is getting a bit dated, but it's still a great driver, and MMI remains one of the better infotainment systems available. I also like the powertrain choices. One advantage of buying a model late in a model run is reliability. The Q5 is really solid in that respect. I'm concerned about production of the all new model moving to Mexico.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:48 PM
Advanced

I'm in the US.
You're comparing an Acura to a Hyundai. A Hyundai. I'm not knocking you, but this says a lot about Acura and none of it is good.
I am making this comparison because my current vehicle is a Hyundai, and the vehicles I was initially in the market for on my upgrade were the Hyundai Santa Fe and etc... UNTIL I sat in the Acura for the first time, completely changing my idea of what I wanted. So i'm merely expressing that for me, the interior of the RDX was beautiful and miles above the Hyundai I have been in/checked out. I don't understand why that doesn't say anything good for Acura?

I don't find the entire exterior attractive at all! I wonder what the target demographic is for the NX. If it were a bunch of old farts that did not like the design, I could understand, but I'm a mid-30's single guy and while it's anecdotal at best, general consensus with people around my age that I know wouldn't purchase the NX for the exterior style alone.

I'm 27 as well, and not a fan of the NX Exterior on the F-Sport (Which is what i'd want if I had gone that way) However, i'm not sure that the RDX interior is exactly nicer than the NX. The NX interior is very impressive, but ultimately I couldn't choose the NX for something so cosmetic, when I was in the market for the space and RDX offers so much more.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:28 PM
Instructor

I'm 27 as well, and not a fan of the NX Exterior on the F-Sport (Which is what i'd want if I had gone that way) However, i'm not sure that the RDX interior is exactly nicer than the NX. The NX interior is very impressive, but ultimately I couldn't choose the NX for something so cosmetic, when I was in the market for the space and RDX offers so much more.
Maybe I should rephrase. Quality-wise, yes, Lexus seems to have the upper hand. But if you look at the interior photo, I'd rather sit and stair at the RDX all day than the NX. It's probably because the Navigation system on the NX sticks out like a sore thumb for me, plus I'm not feeling the whole analog clock (Mercedes, you too). Plus, the NX is missing an easy access center console to empty out your pockets (keys, wallet, cell phone, etc). I'd hate to open and close the armrest every time I enter and leave the car.

One thing that I do envy about the NX is that it has one-touch power windows for all 4 windows compared to the RDX which only allows one-touch for the front 2 windows only.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
the advance RDX is such great value. so much equipment for $43k. ill give the interior nod to the NX. i think RDX wins when it comes to power train, size, value and exterior styling.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:58 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Wow that grey Acura interior looks bland and plastic.

I love that NX interior, (but still on the fence on the exterior). With no kids or dogs, the NX F-sport seems more in line with our next step. Also the NX is bred with the more sporty heritage of the original RDX. The new RDX, while an excellent vehicle, is probably too family oriented for me, although wifey could care less.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaputnik
Wow that grey Acura interior looks bland and plastic.

I love that NX interior, (but still on the fence on the exterior). With no kids or dogs, the NX F-sport seems more in line with our next step. Also the NX is bred with the more sporty heritage of the original RDX. The new RDX, while an excellent vehicle, is probably too family oriented for me, although wifey could care less.
sporty huh? Lexus NX Reviews - Lexus NX Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver read that
Old 06-22-2015, 12:48 AM
Intermediate

I am making this comparison because my current vehicle is a Hyundai, and the vehicles I was initially in the market for on my upgrade were the Hyundai Santa Fe and etc... UNTIL I sat in the Acura for the first time, completely changing my idea of what I wanted. So i'm merely expressing that for me, the interior of the RDX was beautiful and miles above the Hyundai I have been in/checked out. I don't understand why that doesn't say anything good for Acura?
Because Hyundai isn't exactly a benchmark in the luxury segment. Nor does it have the cachet that the major German brands have. Acura would like to be considered a luxury brand on par with Mercedes and BMW and you just compared it to a mainstream Korean brand that, until 10 - 15 years ago, was synonymous with "cheap". It's not exactly a compliment to Acura. (If you were an auto manufacturer and consumers were comparing your product to one from a competitor who you considered inferior, wouldn't you be worried? Especially if you working hard to be perceived as "upmarket"?)

On a separate note: If you like what the RDX has to offer, you really owe it to yourself to check out the new Nissan Murano. It's got similar toys, arguably a better drivetrain, and in my opinion a nicer interior. It's also bigger than the RDX. Edmunds.com has one in their long term fleet right now.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:06 AM
Intermediate

The greystone interior in the RDX is it's most attractive color due to the fact that there's some contrasting bits to break up the monotony. Lets compare the RDX interior in black to the NX interior in red (which are the combos I drove):

2016 Acura RDX in Ebony

2015 Lexus NX 200t in Rioja Red

The RDX is an endless sea of black. It was worse in person. The hard plastic bits were difficult to ignore as well.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
thanks for the review. very informative and on point.

it's a very tough choice to make between Acura and Lexus.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:45 AM
Intermediate

Correction folks. The image of the RDX interior I posted is, in fact, the interior of the ILX.

Here is the interior of the 2016 RDX in Ebony:

At least the ILX has contrasting pillars and headliner. The RDX? Nope, more Ebony.

Looking at doors in the above picture, I'm reminded (yet again) that the Lexus offers real stitching. The RDX? Molded stitching in soft touch plastic.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:16 AM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx
Or at least that seemed to be the intention on Lexus' part...
Old 06-22-2015, 10:23 AM
Team Owner

Correction folks. The image of the RDX interior I posted is, in fact, the interior of the ILX.
Its horrendously sad when you can't tell the difference between an SUV interior and a Civic with leather seats. Seriously Acura? That's the best you can do? Might as well put an RLX interior up as well. You can't tell the difference with that in the mix either..

Of course, all the nay sayers will say I'm crazy...
Old 06-22-2015, 12:45 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Because Hyundai isn't exactly a benchmark in the luxury segment. Nor does it have the cachet that the major German brands have. Acura would like to be considered a luxury brand on par with Mercedes and BMW and you just compared it to a mainstream Korean brand that, until 10 - 15 years ago, was synonymous with "cheap". It's not exactly a compliment to Acura. (If you were an auto manufacturer and consumers were comparing your product to one from a competitor who you considered inferior, wouldn't you be worried? Especially if you working hard to be perceived as "upmarket"?)
Well over on the Lexus forum someone was cross-shopping a Subaru Forester to a Lexus NX. Does Lexus now have to worry that their brand is not "Luxury" enough? I don't think so. People will always cross shop all sorts of brands for whatever reason, it does not really mean anything.

Btw, we put an order in for the Lexus NX F Sport with Rioja Red interior. We are in our 30's and really like the look of it in and out. Not all will agree and that is a okay.
TacoBello (06-23-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 02:53 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CybrRdr
Well over on the Lexus forum someone was cross-shopping a Subaru Forester to a Lexus NX. Does Lexus now have to worry that their brand is not "Luxury" enough? I don't think so. People will always cross shop all sorts of brands for whatever reason, it does not really mean anything.
If Lexus wants the fat profit margins that come with having a luxury nameplate then yes, they should worry.

Incidentally, you've nailed why the RLX is a sales failure. The Acura brand doesn't have the prestige and the RLX as a vehicle doesn't do enough to differentiate itself from it's pedestrian Honda roots to justify it's pricetag. In other words, it's not "luxury" enough!
Old 06-22-2015, 05:37 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
If Lexus wants the fat profit margins that come with having a luxury nameplate then yes, they should worry.

Incidentally, you've nailed why the RLX is a sales failure. The Acura brand doesn't have the prestige and the RLX as a vehicle doesn't do enough to differentiate itself from it's pedestrian Honda roots to justify it's pricetag. In other words, it's not "luxury" enough!
Actually it's not prestige but the fact that the RLX is just not a very competitive product.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:33 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the interior of the 2016 RDX in Ebony:

At least the ILX has contrasting pillars and headliner. The RDX? Nope, more Ebony.

Looking at doors in the above picture, I'm reminded (yet again) that the Lexus offers real stitching. The RDX? Molded stitching in soft touch plastic.
Actually, Acura put up a misleading picture. The 2016 RDX has contrasting pillars and headliner like the ILX.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:35 PM
Team Owner

so what you're saying is there really is no difference between the RDX and ILX interiors, besides the chrome trim around the air vents...
Old 06-23-2015, 06:43 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I have seen the NX in person and to me the interior is top notch, until you consider that there is an i-pad sticking out of the dash. It looks like such an afterthought as opposed to the RDX having it as part of the dash that looks like it was thought of at the same time the dash was being designed. I have seen this in Mercedes as well. I just don't like it.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Personally speaking, I think this comparison is a little bit like apples, oranges, and bananas. The RDX is a mid size suv, the nx a compact suv and the macan a RWD based sport suv.

But I do understand that they can and will be cross shopped. I am a little dissapointed in Acura, they used to have this sporty edge to their vehicles. They were a "sport luxury brand", now I view them as a "premium brand + sport". Lexus has snuck up in the last few years and pulled the wool over Acura's eyes.

Imho lexus has always produced very solid vehicles with good quality materials. Acura was more of a hit or miss, the 4th gen tl had a pretty nice interior whereas the first gen rdx was mostly pretty cheap imho. Acura needs to go back to producing more edgy vehicles (it is working for lexus, hyundai, infiniti...etc pretty well).

I see the new RLX and think ummmm....this is acura's 50+k vehicle? It is so un-unique and so uninspired in its' design. I would buy a hyundai genesis over it any day of the week.

To the other members mentioning the fact that Acura is being compared to a Hyundai, I believe that member isn't trying to argue about Hyundai's merits. They are simply arguing that 6 years ago, the words hyundai and Acura wouldn't even be mentioned but now it seems like hyundai is producing vehicles at least comparable to the acura (just fyi I would buy a Hyundai santa fe sport 2.0t over the rdx pretty much any day of the week) and therefore shows how far back acura has fallen.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RDX10
Personally speaking, I think this comparison is a little bit like apples, oranges, and bananas. The RDX is a mid size suv, the nx a compact suv and the macan a RWD based sport suv.

But I do understand that they can and will be cross shopped. I am a little dissapointed in Acura, they used to have this sporty edge to their vehicles. They were a "sport luxury brand", now I view them as a "premium brand + sport". Lexus has snuck up in the last few years and pulled the wool over Acura's eyes.

Imho lexus has always produced very solid vehicles with good quality materials. Acura was more of a hit or miss, the 4th gen tl had a pretty nice interior whereas the first gen rdx was mostly pretty cheap imho. Acura needs to go back to producing more edgy vehicles (it is working for lexus, hyundai, infiniti...etc pretty well).

I see the new RLX and think ummmm....this is acura's 50+k vehicle? It is so un-unique and so uninspired in its' design. I would buy a hyundai genesis over it any day of the week.

To the other members mentioning the fact that Acura is being compared to a Hyundai, I believe that member isn't trying to argue about Hyundai's merits. They are simply arguing that 6 years ago, the words hyundai and Acura wouldn't even be mentioned but now it seems like hyundai is producing vehicles at least comparable to the acura (just fyi I would buy a Hyundai santa fe sport 2.0t over the rdx pretty much any day of the week) and therefore shows how far back acura has fallen.
Ok I can definitely agree Hyundai has made a lot of head way in these last years, I had a 2013 Hyundai Elantra before upgrading to the 2016 RDX, it was a great car. But I have to completely disagree on the Santa Fe to the RDX.. I test drove the highest model Santa Fe back to back with the 2016 RDX, and there is not a comparison on that level imo. The RDX stood out in every way to me, ESPECIALLY how it felt to drive and sit in. I'm extremely happy with my decision in the 16 RDX, and while I spent a lot more than the Santa Fe would have cost me, I would have been ultimately disappointed in the Santa Fe if I had made that choice.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:09 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Ok I can definitely agree Hyundai has made a lot of head way in these last years, I had a 2013 Hyundai Elantra before upgrading to the 2016 RDX, it was a great car. But I have to completely disagree on the Santa Fe to the RDX.. I test drove the highest model Santa Fe back to back with the 2016 RDX, and there is not a comparison on that level imo. The RDX stood out in every way to me, ESPECIALLY how it felt to drive and sit in. I'm extremely happy with my decision in the 16 RDX, and while I spent a lot more than the Santa Fe would have cost me, I would have been ultimately disappointed in the Santa Fe if I had made that choice.
+ this...
We all agree that Acura needs to work harder though..
Old 06-23-2015, 10:32 PM
Suzuka Master

I agree with you on this for sure, Hyundai can't seem to get the steering feel in their vehicles right. I drove a 2014 genesis V6 with the AWD and it still felt a little floaty and the steering, although tight, was not very communicative at all. However the quality of the interior was actually pretty amazing and I was really really impressed, it felt and looked like true luxury.

Originally Posted by Comfy
+ this...
We all agree that Acura needs to work harder though..
I also agree, Acura still has the chance to dig itself back up and be on top. They have a world class AWD system, they just need more dedicated luxury platforms, more style, more tech, and lastly better quality interiors.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:20 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CybrRdr
Actually it's not prestige but the fact that the RLX is just not a very competitive product.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I feel that it's both of those things (lack of prestige and lack of competitive product).

Originally Posted by Garry1104
Actually, Acura put up a misleading picture. The 2016 RDX has contrasting pillars and headliner like the ILX.
Ha! I must've been so overwhelmed by the sea of black plastics that I don't even remember the contrasting pillars and headliners.

Originally Posted by RDX10
Yes, this

Along similar lines: I used to think of Acura as a "tech forward" brand, but are they the first to bring Android Auto and Apple CarPlay to market? Nope. Who is? Hyundai! Go figure!

I'm extremely happy with my decision in the 16 RDX, and while I spent a lot more than the Santa Fe would have cost me, I would have been ultimately disappointed in the Santa Fe if I had made that choice.
I didn't realize you'd made a purchase already. In the end, all that matters is that you're happy.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:59 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts

I believe the NX has a higher quality interior as seen in the choice of interior materials used (I really hope the shiny bits are Aluminum and not painted plastic). But I have always loved the integrated navi placement of Acuras and the cheapish looking Chinese tablet sticking out in NX doesn't do it any good.
I would choose NX if space, front grill and money were no object to me .
Old 06-24-2015, 02:52 PM
Suzuka Master

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I feel that it's both of those things (lack of prestige and lack of competitive product).

Ha! I must've been so overwhelmed by the sea of black plastics that I don't even remember the contrasting pillars and headliners.

Yes, this

Along similar lines: I used to think of Acura as a "tech forward" brand, but are they the first to bring Android Auto and Apple CarPlay to market? Nope. Who is? Hyundai! Go figure!

I didn't realize you'd made a purchase already. In the end, all that matters is that you're happy.
I totally agree, I used to see them as a a very sporty company, now its all meh. Their engines are no longer impressive, their handling is about class average and the interior and exterior style is being beat by vehicles half as expensive.

Originally Posted by Comfy
I believe the NX has a higher quality interior as seen in the choice of interior materials used (I really hope the shiny bits are Aluminum and not painted plastic). But I have always loved the integrated navi placement of Acuras and the cheapish looking Chinese tablet sticking out in NX doesn't do it any good.
I would choose NX if space, front grill and money were no object to me .
That tablet look is actually becoming common place on many new cars. Many Audi's, lexus, bmws, mercedes vehicles have this layout. I don't know if I like it or not, I think it would block the view of the road and really bother me QUICK but it is also easier to see and more logically where you would look when you are driving. Not half way down the dash or even lower. Though admittedly, acura does place their navi screens pretty nice and high as well.
Comfy (06-27-2015)

Quick Reply: Brief review: Acura RDX vs Lexus NX vs Porsche Macan S