awd w/ intelligent control vs sh-awd

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 04:08 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
awd w/ intelligent control vs sh-awd

Owned a first gen a few years ago and thought my new second gen had sh-awd until I noticed the mid doesn't show torque distribution then that that awd badge doesn't say sh. I can't find hardly any info on the intelligent control awd. From what I gather the system still controls front to back distribution in a similar manner but not independently from side to side on the rear. I could be wrong though. Does anyone have any further insite to the operation of the system I would appreciate the info
Old 01-01-2018, 06:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by bfaucett
Owned a first gen a few years ago and thought my new second gen had sh-awd until I noticed the mid doesn't show torque distribution then that that awd badge doesn't say sh. I can't find hardly any info on the intelligent control awd. From what I gather the system still controls front to back distribution in a similar manner but not independently from side to side on the rear. I could be wrong though. Does anyone have any further insite to the operation of the system I would appreciate the info
Acura should be ashamed of themselves for the junk they call an AWD system in the 2G RDX. Even compared to other “slip and grip” systems it is embarrassing. So let me explain.

The 2013-present RDX no longer has SH-AWD. It now has a system from the CRV where it runs 100% in FWD mode and when the front wheels slip it sends a maximum of 25% of power to the rear for 2013-2015 RDX’s and this was revised in 2013 to allow a maximum of 40% to the rear. Supposedly in 2016 they also tuned the system to allow more power to go to the rear during cornering but it can’t ever hold a candle to SH-AWD. Now I am sure they use some mild braking to allow very mild torque vectoring sideways but it is absolutely nothing like the 100% left to right rear vectoring of the 1G RDX or other SH-AWD systems.

What I find especially sad is that it could only send 25% or 40% to the rear whereas every other mainstream crossover with the “slip and grip” system can send 50% or more! You’ll read many threads in here of people getting stuck in pitiful amounts of snow and yes tires are a huge factor in a lot of those cases, but a lot of people complained that they did not feel the rear was getting much power which makes sense for 25%-40% only going to the rear.

Last edited by RDX10; 01-01-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:10 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RDX10
Acura should be ashamed of themselves for the junk they call an AWD system in the 2G RDX. Even compared to other “slip and grip” systems it is embarrassing. So let me explain.

The 2013-present RDX no longer has SH-AWD. It now has a system from the CRV where it runs 100% in FWD mode and when the front wheels slip it sends a maximum of 25% of power to the rear for 2013-2015 RDX’s and this was revised in 2013 to allow a maximum of 40% to the rear. Supposedly in 2016 they also tuned the system to allow more power to go to the rear during cornering but it can’t ever hold a candle to SH-AWD. Now I am sure they use some mild braking to allow very mild torque vectoring sideways but it is absolutely nothing like the 100% left to right rear vectoring of the 1G RDX or other SH-AWD systems.

What I find especially sad is that it could only send 25% or 40% to the rear whereas every other mainstream crossover with the “slip and grip” system can send 50% or more! You’ll read many threads in here of people getting stuck in pitiful amounts of snow and yes tires are a huge factor in a lot of those cases, but a lot of people complained that they did not feel the rear was getting much power which makes sense for 25%-40% only going to the rear.

that's really disappointing. I found some info on it after posting. I can't believe they would go with such a second rate system to save a few bucks. How much could it really save? Few hundred five tops. My road is currently solid ice and I went WOT from a roll and I was actually pleased with how well it did in a straight line. My driving style has toned down a bit so maybe the rear vectoring won't bother me.

I was already kinda regretting going with the 2g instead of a 1g because of lack of bolt ons and disappointing tuning results. I loved the nimble sporty feel of the 1g but couldn't find any with low miles. The 2g is definitely lacking the nimble feel comparatively
Old 01-03-2018, 09:23 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Some of us that really loved the 1G RDX with sh-awd are looking forward to 3rd Gen RDX with 2.0T+10AT and (big) maybe they might bring back sh-awd. This was one of the reasons I've kept my 08 RDX tech with 145,000 miles and waited for the 3rd Gen RDX.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:41 PM
Advanced

Unfortunately an upgrade to a 3g isn't in the future for at least a few years. We downgraded from a loaded 17 duramax and the it's unbelievable how much of a joke the "tech package" is on an Acura that's only 4 yrs old. I should have got a 1g and found a cpo 19 in a couple yrs but have been spoiled by warranties over the past couple yrs and didn't want to be replacing parts on a car with 100k
Old 01-03-2018, 11:40 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
I here ya all! Just turned 60k on my 2008 and still love it! Hope the 3G brings some pleasant surprises, like SH-AWD again.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:11 AM
Suzuka Master

that's really disappointing. I found some info on it after posting. I can't believe they would go with such a second rate system to save a few bucks. How much could it really save? Few hundred five tops. My road is currently solid ice and I went WOT from a roll and I was actually pleased with how well it did in a straight line. My driving style has toned down a bit so maybe the rear vectoring won't bother me.

I was already kinda regretting going with the 2g instead of a 1g because of lack of bolt ons and disappointing tuning results. I loved the nimble sporty feel of the 1g but couldn't find any with low miles. The 2g is definitely lacking the nimble feel comparatively
They did the switch for a few reasons, first off was to save money. The next reason was to reduce weight, and the final reason was to improve fuel economy. Even at $500, multiply that by the number of RDX's sold and it's a huge chunk of change. In normal day to day driving (especially if you drive in a mellow manner) you won't really feel a big difference between the new AWD and SH-AWD in something the size/weight of the RDX. Judging by sales, it would appear that most people don't care either. Perhaps what adds insult to injury is that the current pilot and rigeline HAVE SH-AWD and an Acura model that had it before now doesn't? How is that logical?

The 1G is the best performance bargain in the crossover market in the last 10 years PERIOD.

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Some of us that really loved the 1G RDX with sh-awd are looking forward to 3rd Gen RDX with 2.0T+10AT and (big) maybe they might bring back sh-awd. This was one of the reasons I've kept my 08 RDX tech with 145,000 miles and waited for the 3rd Gen RDX.
Not holding my breath for SH-AWD but would be so happy to have it back.

Unfortunately an upgrade to a 3g isn't in the future for at least a few years. We downgraded from a loaded 17 duramax and the it's unbelievable how much of a joke the "tech package" is on an Acura that's only 4 yrs old. I should have got a 1g and found a cpo 19 in a couple yrs but have been spoiled by warranties over the past couple yrs and didn't want to be replacing parts on a car with 100k
Honestly the "tech: package in the 2013-2015 RDX is a flat out joke. What does it add again? HID's, nav, backup cam, and power lift gate? WOOOOW holy cow! so advanced....

IMHO you were probably better off with a 1G but it's all good, the 2G still has a lot of positive merits. In terms of warranty, the 1G RDX is the most solid used vehicle money can buy. Very little issues even with 2007 models and it is the only used vehicle I have ever bought that I had ZERO issues with whatsoever. Your fears of no warranty were unfounded IMHO.

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
I here ya all! Just turned 60k on my 2008 and still love it! Hope the 3G brings some pleasant surprises, like SH-AWD again.
You only have 60k on your 2008? Impressive! There was a GORGEOUS 2009 tech with 129k kms or roughly 80k miles and I was stupid and snoozed so it sold quickly. Still shaking my head because the 2009 tech is the best of the 1G's IMHO (all the features without that ugly front and rear of the 2010-2012 models).
Old 01-04-2018, 11:02 AM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
[QUOTE=RDX10;16157945 You only have 60k on your 2008? Impressive! There was a GORGEOUS 2009 tech with 129k kms or roughly 80k miles and I was stupid and snoozed so it sold quickly. Still shaking my head because the 2009 tech is the best of the 1G's IMHO (all the features without that ugly front and rear of the 2010-2012 models).[/QUOTE]

Just rolled past 60k mi a couple of weeks ago. I live a mile from work, and here in California there is no excuse not to walk. My RDX still feels new. Outdated, yes.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:29 AM
Advanced

My 1g had a little over 100k when I traded it. Only issue I had with it in the yr and a half we had it was the ignition switch the morning we traded it haha. Lowest mile 1g I could find when I was looking was 129k. Anything over 100k is at the very least gonna start needing wear items replaced like brakes, batt, alt etc. I'm too busy to be replacing parts and if I do have time it's spent working on my truck not a car
Old 01-04-2018, 01:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
Just rolled past 60k mi a couple of weeks ago. I live a mile from work, and here in California there is no excuse not to walk. My RDX still feels new. Outdated, yes.
Kinda a side topic but I dream of moving to California some day. I know they only show the positive sides on TV but I am just enamoured by the landscape, the ocean, seemingly endless beaches, the cars, the spanish architecture. I could literally go on for days. Just the idea of leaving Canada (and my parents/siblings/extended family) makes me somewhat queasy. But when I get married I’m going to see if it’s something my wife would be willing to do and we’d do it asap.

My 1g had a little over 100k when I traded it. Only issue I had with it in the yr and a half we had it was the ignition switch the morning we traded it haha. Lowest mile 1g I could find when I was looking was 129k. Anything over 100k is at the very least gonna start needing wear items replaced like brakes, batt, alt etc. I'm too busy to be replacing parts and if I do have time it's spent working on my truck not a car
So you definitely see what I mean when I say it is the most solid vehicle ever. I hear you on maintenance stuff being needed past 100k and I agree. I’m looking for a 2008/2009 tech with around 60k miles right now. FWIW the 2G is a very solid car too and you will hopefully see many many years of trouble free comfortable miles in it. Really you can’t go wrong with the 2G if you’re looking for comfort and reliability!
Old 01-04-2018, 01:46 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
acura is marketing an exclusive powertrain for the 3rd gen RDX.
RDX10 stated that the Pilot and Ridgline have SHAWD, we could probably infer that the RDX will get the SHSHAWD from the MDX and RLX.

the User Nexx who works for acura, has Also stated that it'll have a pano-roof. and possibly some turbos.
it's likely we'll see SHSHAWD for the 3rd gen RDX
Old 01-04-2018, 03:29 PM
mrgold35

The Pilot and Ridgeline have all the mechanical pieces for sh-awd; but, the software is only programmed for awd only (no left/right/front/back TQ vectoring) duties.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by justnspace
acura is marketing an exclusive powertrain for the 3rd gen RDX.
RDX10 stated that the Pilot and Ridgline have SHAWD, we could probably infer that the RDX will get the SHSHAWD from the MDX and RLX.

the User Nexx who works for acura, has Also stated that it'll have a pano-roof. and possibly some turbos.
it's likely we'll see SHSHAWD for the 3rd gen RDX
That was exclusive platform not drivetrain but they also said the 1G was exclusive vs the CRV at the time because it had a couple extra subframe supports so don’t take that too far.

The Pilot and Ridgeline have all the mechanical pieces for sh-awd; but, the software is only programmed for awd only (no left/right/front/back TQ vectoring) duties.
Are you sure about that? I can swear I read an article on temple of vtec and seen multiple reviews stating that there is torque vectoring across the rear axles. Now I’m not sure if it works the same in curves but it can send power the same way SH-AWD does. Why would they put the hardware in and then stop short of software?
Old 01-04-2018, 06:07 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by RDX10
Are you sure about that? I can swear I read an article on temple of vtec and seen multiple reviews stating that there is torque vectoring across the rear axles. Now I’m not sure if it works the same in curves but it can send power the same way SH-AWD does. Why would they put the hardware in and then stop short of software?
Hey RDX10, you are right about Honda i-VTM4 is just a renamed sh-awd system. I've read it was originally going to be just awd without the programming before the new pilot and ridgelines hit the road.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Hey RDX10, you are right about Honda i-VTM4 is just a renamed sh-awd system. I've read it was originally going to be just awd without the programming before the new pilot and ridgelines hit the road.
Hey no worries! Thank you for coming back and correcting yourself because I was over here rethinking myself haha. Mind boggling that Honda thought an 8 passenger boat like the pilot would get use out of SH-AWD but the 2G RDX would not. Like I wish I could sit with Acura execs and ask them what the hell they were thinking.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:22 PM
Cruisin'

Just to throw some more fuel to the fire, Nexx did respond to another user in the 2019 redesign thread who stated: "All the upgrades with sport edition, 10AT, turbo 4, or wheel base will not matter to me unless it comes with sh-awd""
Nexx's response was, "Sometimes you get what you wish for...."

Based on this, I'm going to assume that it WILL have Sh-AWD...
Old 01-04-2018, 09:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TNTransplant
Just to throw some more fuel to the fire, Nexx did respond to another user in the 2019 redesign thread who stated: "All the upgrades with sport edition, 10AT, turbo 4, or wheel base will not matter to me unless it comes with sh-awd""
Nexx's response was, "Sometimes you get what you wish for...."

Based on this, I'm going to assume that it WILL have Sh-AWD...
Not calling nexx a liar, but he sells Acuras so I never personally take his word as 100% truth on anything Acura related. With that said, with the pilot and ridgeline having SH-AWD I find it hard to believe Acura would stop short of the RDX. It’s almost a given.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:56 AM
mrgold35

I had to take the kid's TSX in yesterday to get the cabin heater checked out (just air bubble in cooling system from a bad hose on the overflow reservoir). I usually small talk to the assistant sales manager and he said his manager has seen the production 3rd Gen RDX in person during a regional meeting and it has sh-awd. From my experience, sales floor folks know about the least amount about their products they sell (one level above the receptionist usually). I asked the service manager and he didn't know much details about the new RDX. I figured he would be a better source since his mechanics would need re-fresh training on the upgrades pretty soon for the RDX.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:30 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
the thing about nexx is that he's under an embargo.
I'm assuming he doesnt want to be known as the leaker and get fired.

most of the stuff he says has come true, and with new leadership under the helm, acura could be on the rise!
we just have to wait and see, like always.
hopefully, it doesnt take 10 years to right the ship

edit* I seem to have the open waters on my mind. Ahoy, matey!!
Old 01-05-2018, 10:46 AM
Suzuka Master

I had to take the kid's TSX in yesterday to get the cabin heater checked out (just air bubble in cooling system from a bad hose on the overflow reservoir). I usually small talk to the assistant sales manager and he said his manager has seen the production 3rd Gen RDX in person during a regional meeting and it has sh-awd. From my experience, sales floor folks know about the least amount about their products they sell (one level above the receptionist usually). I asked the service manager and he didn't know much details about the new RDX. I figured he would be a better source since his mechanics would need re-fresh training on the upgrades pretty soon for the RDX.
Yeah I take sales-floor talk with a grain of salt but there has been many cases of the sales-floor talk being correct so fingrs crossed that we can skip over these Acura dark ages and forget about it in a couple years. 10 days to go and I can hardly wait!

Originally Posted by justnspace
the thing about nexx is that he's under an embargo.
I'm assuming he doesnt want to be known as the leaker and get fired.

most of the stuff he says has come true, and with new leadership under the helm, acura could be on the rise!
we just have to wait and see, like always.
hopefully, it doesnt take 10 years to right the ship

edit* I seem to have the open waters on my mind. Ahoy, matey!!
Hahah I didn’t even notice all the boat inuendo until you mentioned it. Well played good sir.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
I also heard from one of the sales managers at my local dealer that the '19 RDX will have SH-AWD, based on their recent visits from corporate Acura folk to the dealership. Guess we'll know in a little over a week whether all this speculation is true. As some know, I made the jump to a '17 MDX to get the SH-AWD from my '15 RDX, and I'm as happy as I can be with how this winter is going vs previous ones in the RDX. I just didn't wanna wait until the RDX came out to get the SH-AWD upgrade......
Old 01-05-2018, 01:12 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by andysinnh
I also heard from one of the sales managers at my local dealer that the '19 RDX will have SH-AWD, based on their recent visits from corporate Acura folk to the dealership. Guess we'll know in a little over a week whether all this speculation is true. As some know, I made the jump to a '17 MDX to get the SH-AWD from my '15 RDX, and I'm as happy as I can be with how this winter is going vs previous ones in the RDX. I just didn't wanna wait until the RDX came out to get the SH-AWD upgrade......
Comparing the sh-awd between my 08 RDX and 11 MDX and they are programmed differently. My RDX is mostly fwd when accelerating with at most 50/50 split normally and I have to push the RDX extremely hard in the corners to get the sh-awd to engage 1-2 bars above the opposite rear wheel. I've seen 70% rear wheel drive in certain situations and I can get 1-4 bars to one rear wheel almost on every turn. I even get 1-4 bar sh-awd engagement on at a right turn a stop sign in the MDX with no "sh" engagement on the same turn with the RDX. I'm thinking the MDX is the only vehicle that has this aggressive sh-awd programming from the Acura line-up.

The MDX extra weight, higher center of gravity, lower TQ, and softer suspension setting still keeps my RDX ahead of my MDX when the road gets twisty. You still might be ahead in the sh-awd department with your MDX unless you need the smaller size of the 3rd Gen RDX.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Comparing the sh-awd between my 08 RDX and 11 MDX and they are programmed differently. My RDX is mostly fwd when accelerating with at most 50/50 split normally and I have to push the RDX extremely hard in the corners to get the sh-awd to engage 1-2 bars above the opposite rear wheel. I've seen 70% rear wheel drive in certain situations and I can get 1-4 bars to one rear wheel almost on every turn. I even get 1-4 bar sh-awd engagement on at a right turn a stop sign in the MDX with no "sh" engagement on the same turn with the RDX. I'm thinking the MDX is the only vehicle that has this aggressive sh-awd programming from the Acura line-up.

The MDX extra weight, higher center of gravity, lower TQ, and softer suspension setting still keeps my RDX ahead of my MDX when the road gets twisty. You still might be ahead in the sh-awd department with your MDX unless you need the smaller size of the 3rd Gen RDX.
Yup I noticed this too, getting the SH-AWD to fully activate in the RDX is incredibly hard actually. You need to drive it like a psycho to make it activate. The MDX on the other hand has zero issues sending power left and right during cornering even on mild turns at low speeds. Something I noticed when I had my RDX was that the SH-AWD was directly linked to the Turbo activation. The only time SH-AWD would activate fully was when I was hard cornering with the turbo fully spooled. Otherwise good luck. On the flip side, I distinctly remember one time during winter I was stopped on a sheet of ice at an intersection, the SH-AWD system literally sent 70% of the power to one rear wheel instantly when it realized the other wheels had no grip. The speed and effectiveness of the system activation was absolutely brilliant. It was the most drama free experience possible. I was beyond impressed. I guess it didn’t hurt that I had michillen X-Ice2 tires on either :wink: FWIW the 3G MDX has even better SH-AWD activation that the 2G, I had a 2016 loaner and the drive was absolutely amazing. It was almost sending power before I needed it!