Anyone want something bigger? - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Anyone want something bigger?

Old 08-12-2017, 06:50 AM   #1

Anyone want something bigger?

love my RDX, but I'm wishing I bought the MDX as it feels more of a SUV.

anyone else? Why did you buy the RDX and what's your next car?
cas311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:27 AM   #2

Interesting.

My wife and I went through the buying process last Fall - we test drove many of the 2 row and 3 row options out there and ended up with a new 16 CRV EXL. I feel like it's really the new "sedan" and in that regard it's great. The 3 row true SUV's are nice to drive but I felt they were pretty much like driving a minivan and the hit you take on MPG as well as the initial purchase price has to be weighed against the need for that extra space. In the end we felt the CRV was the best value based on how we would use it. But yes, in the end we use it like we would a sedan only we get the bonus of having the large "trunk" when we want.
CheeseyPoofs McNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:31 AM   #3

I think you have it right.... I have the best of both worlds with the RDX, but sometimes I want to sit a little higher, have a little more room, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut View Post
Interesting.

My wife and I went through the buying process last Fall - we test drove many of the 2 row and 3 row options out there and ended up with a new 16 CRV EXL. I feel like it's really the new "sedan" and in that regard it's great. The 3 row true SUV's are nice to drive but I felt they were pretty much like driving a minivan and the hit you take on MPG as well as the initial purchase price has to be weighed against the need for that extra space. In the end we felt the CRV was the best value based on how we would use it. But yes, in the end we use it like we would a sedan only we get the bonus of having the large "trunk" when we want.
cas311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:46 AM   #4
Registered Member

The first time I ever wished I had something bigger than the RDX was yesterday when I needed to transport a large bird cage (I just got a Green Cheeked Conure). I had to lay the cage down on its side with the bird in a separate cardboard box. But an MDX would be the last thing I would consider as I think they are ugly as hell, especially when viewed from the rear. If the tires were less recessed it would look a little better but not much.
Skidoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:08 PM   #5
Registered Member

Actually, I wouldn't mind something smaller like the CDX that may come here.
colt427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:05 PM   #6
Inveterate Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas311 View Post
anyone else?
We moved to the RDX from a 2014 Toyota Highlander. My wife hated that suv saying it was difficult for her to park and drive in general because it was so large. We'd moved up in size to that vehicle from a 2004 Highlander which is within an inch in every dimension of the RDX. She's very happy now and you know what they say about happy wives. That said, if you regularly haul more than your RDX is capable of then, for sure, move on up in size. Get what suits your particular needs.

Cheers!
Gadgetjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:26 PM   #7
Registered Member

IMHO although I don't own a 2G RDX, I think it is the perfect size for the class it's in. I owned a 1G RDX and that thing was TIGHT in trunk space (it was enough for me, but not for a couple or anyone with kids). I had a 2G RDX loaner a few times and I felt that the trunk space and overall size was perfect for the class.
RDX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:58 PM   #8
Registered Member

My wife has been pushing for a 3rd row car for a while. I got the RDX specifically because I wanted something that drove more like a car than a truck, and the MDX was also a little out of our price range (not to mention the fact that I was replacing my own car as a milestone birthday present to myself, and I didn't want to get a car that my wife would take 3-4 days a week). But I'm starting to think that maybe when it's time for her car to be replaced, we try to work something out maybe for a certified pre-owned MDX...
RockTheGlobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:36 AM   #9
Registered Member

Wife is 5-4, 102 pounds. She loves her RDX and says my MDX is too big. Hard to park. I'm 6-1 and 190 and I though I enjoy driving her RDX, it's a little small for me. Needs some shoulder room. But the RDX is a SUPER-well executed automobile. The V-6 >> super, especially out west with our big climbs. So I think it's pretty great car, and the +'s more than outweigh the -'s.
Scott in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:14 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:

Nope, love the size, don't need the expensive oversized MDX.
BLEXV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:19 PM   #11
Registered Member

I plan on getting something bigger next time. Not sure if I will get an MDX or not. Hope I don't catch flack for this, but I will be looking really hard at a Mazda CX-9 next. For the price, you get a hell of a nice car that drives well and has a great interior. But I'm also waiting to see what the next RDX will look/drive like.
CentralARguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:58 PM   #12

We test drove a CX-9 before we got the the CRV. I thought it was very upscale inside, drove nice, looks nice. It's a winner. We got some major discounts on the CRV so in the end a great value won the day otherwise the CX-9 was next on the list.
CheeseyPoofs McNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:44 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:

This is why Acura makes the MDX in the first place. The RDX fills a niche for folks who don't need three rows but want the extra storage capacity a CUV provides. The MDX feels really ungainly to me in comparison to the RDX.
chickdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:57 AM   #14
Registered Member

The RDX is perfect for my family of three with great cargo space for all the baby stuff. If, and when, our family grows, we may reconsider.
Netforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:25 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
... The RDX fills a niche for folks who don't need three rows but want the extra storage capacity a CUV provides. The MDX feels really ungainly to me in comparison to the RDX.
This is why we went with the RDX. The MDX is way more car than we need...or want.
markAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:47 AM   #16
Registered Member

I realize this is kind of silly, but I can't stand looking at the shifter coming out of the dash on the CRV! LOL.
jim_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:26 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_c View Post
I realize this is kind of silly, but I can't stand looking at the shifter coming out of the dash on the CRV! LOL.
Iím with you 100% on this. It just looks incredibly weird and misplaced.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:09 PM   #18
Get Out Of The Left Lane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markAZ View Post
This is why we went with the RDX. The MDX is way more car than we need...or want.

Couldn't agree more. We had an MDX years ago when the kids were growing up. Today the Mrs. is very happy with her RDX as we didn't need the size or MPG hit of the MDX.
NBP04TL4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:29 AM   #19
Registered Member

Had a 2001 MDX that we traded for the 2017 RDX.

Also, still have a 2007 Gen 2 MDX.

The RDX is just about 3" narrower and 3" shorter than the 2001 MDX. Little snugger, but quite comfortable.

Oh, and truth be told, I did an Exel spread sheet of many SUV interior dimensions before buying anything.

Amazingly, many share the front seat dimensions within an inch or two.
barnowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:36 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralARguy View Post
I plan on getting something bigger next time. Not sure if I will get an MDX or not. Hope I don't catch flack for this, but I will be looking really hard at a Mazda CX-9 next. For the price, you get a hell of a nice car that drives well and has a great interior. But I'm also waiting to see what the next RDX will look/drive like.
The wife is currently looking at a CX-9, itís her front-runner. Says she likes the fact that itís a three-row car and drives well but doesnít feel ilke a giant boat.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:40 PM   #21
Registered Member

my wife is 5-6 and its her car, I'm 6-4 and wish it had a little more leg room on long trips
srpuywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:55 AM   #22
Registered Member

RDX claims 42" of front leg room. MDX claims 41-1/2".

While I have never used this product, I have discussed it with a friend who might be buying one.

​​​​​​Home
Old 08-25-2017, 07:02 AM   #23
Registered Member

RDX claims 42" of leg room. MDX half an inch less.

While I've never used this product, I'd sure give it a try if need be.

​​​​​​Home