any news about passenger-side airbags?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 05:26 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
any news about passenger-side airbags?

Hi,

A while ago, there was talk about Acura replacing the front airbag on the passenger side. I have not heard anything lately. Have they started doing that yet? We got our driver-side front airbag replaced last year, but I have not heard anything or received any notice about our passenger-side front airbag. Have others had it replaced yet?

Gregg
Old 10-27-2017, 10:26 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
That is something new I’m hearing.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:32 AM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by vbgregg
We got our driver-side front airbag replaced last year, but I have not heard anything or received any notice about our passenger-side front airbag.
If you're talking about the Takata recall your passenger side airbag might not be affected. You don't say what year your RDX is (and haven't created a sig with that info) so visit this link and look up your specific vehicle. If your passenger side bag is listed, call your Acura dealership to schedule the fix.

Cheers!
Old 10-28-2017, 04:33 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Thanks. I checked and supposedly there are no safety recalls for our 2013 RDX Tech FWD. I guess I just assumed that all 2013 RDX vehicles were affected, since earlier threads had mentioned passenger-side front airbags.

Gregg
Old 11-02-2017, 11:25 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My understanding is that the 2017 model RDX (I own one) was built with front passenger airbags made by Takata. The inflators used phase-stabilized ammonium nitrate (PSAN) propellant, sometimes referred to as desiccated. Takata was given until 2019 to prove that there was no safety issue with these specific inflators. But, since Takata has declared bankruptcy, I doubt they'll be around by then. Personally, I received a card from Takata in the mail today. It begins "Important Legal Notice For Owners Of Vehicles With Takata Airbag Inflators". It states in part that I may have claims against the Debtors (Re: Takata, in the future I guess). The mailing advises I should register my email address to receive notices on the Chapter 11 cases. I'm hoping NHTSA will be looking out for owners.