Annoyed with Acura/Honda

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 12:24 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry Annoyed with Acura/Honda

Is anyone else mad that the 15 CRV has a bunch of stuff that we should already have?... Air vents(ON ALL MODELS!!).. ACC.. LDW.. COME ON!!! I get that it's a newer car but still the "luxury division" of Honda should really be better than Honda. I don't know why I'm so angry right now but seeing a video of the CRV made me . The only reason I got a Acura was because I thought that Honda wouldn't be such a...

Anyone else feel the same?
Old 10-16-2014, 06:08 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by AcucaDude

Is anyone else mad that the 15 CRV has a bunch of stuff that we should already have?... Air vents(ON ALL MODELS!!).. ACC.. LDW.. COME ON!!! I get that it's a newer car but still the "luxury division" of Honda should really be better than Honda. I don't know why I'm so angry right now but seeing a video of the CRV made me . The only reason I got a Acura was because I thought that Honda wouldn't be such a...

Pretty sure the 16 RDX will get those features.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:59 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Dont blow a gasket!

this has been the trend for acura for a very long time...
the Accord always receives the new tech first.
then the Acura line up gets it.

it has to do with the model year interval, as Acura is on a 5 year model year change.
the Honda models always refresh a year earlier.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:06 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
It is funny that everyone is talking about the air vents when there is a strong feeling by many that the vents aren't needed.

Are you saying "we need rear vents" because you actually feel that they are required to keep the cabin temps properly regulated or are you just jumping on the bandwagon?

Newer tech isn't always required. More features aren't always better. You need to consider the tradeoffs.

Further, the lines between a mid model year refresh and a new model are blurring. Is the CRV a new model (with exterior changes, interior changes and new tech) or a refresh. After the 2012 Civic was touted as a new model, the 2013 (with minimal visual changes, some interior improvements, no new tech but a few tweaks) was again a "new" model.

Me? I'd call the '10 to '11 TSX a refresh with minor body tweaks (unless you are an acuraphile you won't notice the changes) and a couple of tech tweaks (increased resolution on the nav) but I'd call the CRV a new model. Aside from the similarities outside, the car really is different enough - certainly more so than the '12 to '13 Civic.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:52 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
I was not happy with RDX before purchasing it since it didn't have rear vents but after having it for a while I realize that I'm not missing much. My daughter who sits in the rear middle seat always asks me to shut down the rear vents in my other car since it is always either too hot or too cold for her. Now in the RDX she uses the cubby hole in that place to rest her feet.
The rear vents are something like heated steering wheels- useful only in the first few minutes of a trip.
But yes I understand if there are a full set of passengers in the rear seat all the time, it may be more useful.
BTW when are we likely to see the updated MMY refreshed RDX?

Last edited by Comfy; 10-16-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:08 AM
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Air vents are a big deal, depending on how you use your car. I live in a climate where it goes from -40 degrees Celsius in the winter to +40 in the peak of summer, if you often have back seat passenger it will be a significant difference for them when you first enter the cabin if it's very hot or cold out.

The lack of heated rear seats, heated steering wheel and jewel eyes has me postpone considering the RDX until the MMC. You're absolutely right, it's sad that the CRV has available features the RDX doesn't even offer. Honda does not have to wait until the MMC to include these features.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
I have tint on all of my cars and it helps them cool off quicker (heat rejection) use lower AC settings and overall much more comfortable.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:33 PM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
The CR-V won the Motor Trend SUV of the year. Was announced today.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:01 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Still no HID's (even though the Touring comes with projector-beam headlamps, still no name brand audio system (try going from the ELS to a "premium audio system") and 85 more horses in the RDX.. I'll leave the fancy gadgets behind..
Old 10-16-2014, 07:25 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AXMACD
Still no HID's (even though the Touring comes with projector-beam headlamps, still no name brand audio system (try going from the ELS to a "premium audio system") and 85 more horses in the RDX.. I'll leave the fancy gadgets behind..

I have to agree.. I sat in a base rdx and I swear it said 'premium sound system' but it was utter trash next to one with tech package (i.e. ELS). Just lifeless...

Can I add another random thought which is probably baseless.. Maybe the reason Acura gets tech later is they wait for it to be a little better proven? any new feature is... well.. new and will undoubtedly have some growing pains, maybe Acura waits for it to be refined then adds it.. Okay you don't get all the BRAND NEW bells and whistles, but you also don't get to be a guinea pig, and isn't that what we expect from Acura? is quality that lasts a while? Think about the V6 VCM Honda had originally in their auto's and it had major problems for the first few years, but then got taken care of and now Acura has it.. would you have wanted to have an Acura with this engine if it debuted with Honda and had the same problems?

Shrug, I'm sure it has nothing to do with the reality, just a random thought that maybe has 'some' factoring into their reasoning...

Last edited by electricview; 10-16-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:02 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

I hope Acura doesn't go the way like Lincoln did for ford. (Getting all the updates later in life). I would rather have Acura go the German way (such as Audi which gets all the innovations which trickle down to VW later on). This is how they should treat a luxury brand and people will view it with renewed interest if it were to happen in this order.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:11 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AcucaDude

It's all good. 99% of people would probably still take an RDX over a CRV (ride comfort, engine, luxury look, etc.). That's not to ding the CRV in any way, it's still an awesome entry level SUV.

Enjoy your 273 Ponies and remember, the grass is always greener on the other side....
Old 10-17-2014, 06:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by AXMACD
you know that cars suck for audio, right? who cares about name brand, I would rather have a radio that sounded good vs having a name brand like Bose that sounds like ass
Old 10-17-2014, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Comfy
I hope Acura doesn't go the way like Lincoln did for ford. (Getting all the updates later in life). I would rather have Acura go the German way (such as Audi which gets all the innovations which trickle down to VW later on). This is how they should treat a luxury brand and people will view it with renewed interest if it were to happen in this order.

?

the accord got new things before the TL did.

this isnt something new that acura/honda does...
Old 10-17-2014, 08:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My wifes 2011 crv se model has a better radio than my 2014 rdx. Hers also holds 6 cd's. Don't really think you need rear a/c in this car though & I live in Houston.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:34 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by justnspace
?

the accord got new things before the TL did.

this isnt something new that acura/honda does...
It's sad to see Acura go the Ford way of doing things. Lincoln as a brand is failing and one of the core reasons attributed to this is step motherly treatment by Ford. I hope they realize the vicious cycle they are jumping into.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:43 AM

<-----as an enthusiast, this is why I think the TLX is just mediocre.

and we shouldnt accept this from Acura..
Old 10-17-2014, 09:32 AM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Lol... Seriously??? People are upset that CR-V got an update before RDX?

The current 4th Gen CR-V has been out since 2011 model year. It finally got it's MMC for 2015.

The 2nd Gen RDX has been out since 2013 model year and is expected to get a MMC for 2016.

Relax people!
The following 2 users liked this post by CybrRdr:
5 Acuras (10-17-2014), justnspace (10-17-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 09:41 AM

^its the life cycle of each vehicle.

Honda's have always came out before Acura's
Old 10-17-2014, 12:28 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by dawudih
My wifes 2011 crv se model has a better radio than my 2014 rdx. Hers also holds 6 cd's. Don't really think you need rear a/c in this car though & I live in Houston.
Do you have a base or a Tech RDX? The base radio does sound pretty crappy when you go from ELS to a "Premium Audio System" like I did last week (I had an ILX loaner with and without ELS and noticed a HUGE difference). I've had 6-disc changers in all my vehicles since 2002 until now, my Civic has a 8-disc changer in the trunk and I never use it anymore. I use my iPod or my iPhone for music.. the RDX has a 15 GB hard drive anyway which is more than enough room to store 6 discs worth of music.

On another note.. who ever is in charge of wheel design needs to be fired. Honda used to put out some nice wheel designs but what they've been coming out with lately is awful. The Acura wheels aren't that bad.. but the rims on the SI, Civic EX and 15' CRV's are awful. I would rather a 14' than be stuck with that wheel design. Hopefully they put out some nice "accessory" wheels for the CRV.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:26 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
I would rather have a radio that sounded good vs having a name brand like Bose that sounds like ass
LOL! Thank you for that "audio-video" image!
Old 10-17-2014, 02:49 PM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
this is where Honda / Acura is behind. They are holding back upgrades and keeping to a 5 year upgrade schedule with a refresh in the 3rd year.

The RDX should have gotten some upgrades for 2014 and some more for 2015.

Now you have the Escape, Cherokee, MKC, NX, and now the CRV with modern tech that is not available in the RDX.

Things like LED DRLs, collision warning, parking sensors, and blind spot warnings are all offered in the after market and would require limited testing if done by Acura. These are the things that some look for when buying a luxury car vs. a mainstream model.

A friend of mine leased a 2013 Escape after giving back a 3 series BMW on lease. She looked at Acura, BMW, and Audi but decided on the Escape because the others didn't have all the features she wanted. Things like a fast engine and sport handling did not matter to her but more or less a remote starter (couldn't get in a BMW lease), comfy ride and sensors to help her pulling in and out of her garage mattered to her. Plus it was a 3 year lease so in the next 15 or so months she can get the latest model that will be better than her current vehicle. If Ford doesn't have it then maybe BMW, Acura, or Lexus will.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:41 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by CybrRdr
Lol... Seriously??? People are upset that CR-V got an update before RDX?

The current 4th Gen CR-V has been out since 2011 model year. It finally got it's MMC for 2015.

The 2nd Gen RDX has been out since 2013 model year and is expected to get a MMC for 2016.

Relax people!
That's not the point. The 2013 RDX should have already had certain features that the new model MDX, RLX and TLX started with. It was an all new model that was limited to the same technology as the previous one.

I had the 2007 RDX, and the new RDX is still using the ancient NAV system for example. The only advancement between Gen 1 and Gen 2 was push button start, VCM, and power lift gate. But the new MDX, RLX and TLX got the next generation NAV and apps, blind spot monitor, collision warning, lane assist, touch screen console, LED lights all over, etc. etc.

Yes, the 2016 RDX will have all this, but this technology was available way before 2016 or even 2013. If Acura wants to be taken seriously as a luxury brand they need to change their approach!!! We all go shafted. I'll never buy another Acura.
The following users liked this post:
McMilli501 (10-18-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 08:28 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by electricview
I have to agree.. I sat in a base rdx and I swear it said 'premium sound system' but it was utter trash next to one with tech package (i.e. ELS). Just lifeless...
My 2008 base RDX has the 6 CD changer so-called "Premium" system. I realize it is not top end or as good as the ELS, but I totally disagree on the utter trash part. It's a long way from that for sure - in fact I'm surprised how many people say how nice it sounds. Now they must have cars with the really crappy sound.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:36 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by ottoman101
That's not the point. The 2013 RDX should have already had certain features that the new model MDX, RLX and TLX started with. It was an all new model that was limited to the same technology as the previous one.

I had the 2007 RDX, and the new RDX is still using the ancient NAV system for example. The only advancement between Gen 1 and Gen 2 was push button start, VCM, and power lift gate. But the new MDX, RLX and TLX got the next generation NAV and apps, blind spot monitor, collision warning, lane assist, touch screen console, LED lights all over, etc. etc.

Yes, the 2016 RDX will have all this, but this technology was available way before 2016 or even 2013. If Acura wants to be taken seriously as a luxury brand they need to change their approach!!! We all go shafted. I'll never buy another Acura.
Why do you feel you got shafted? Did you not do any research before you bought the vehicle? Acura did not make you buy the car, so why blame them? I think there are a lot more important features for a vehicle than all the latest techno bling and big brother nannies.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:09 PM
CBP TLX

Originally Posted by hondu
Why do you feel you got shafted? Did you not do any research before you bought the vehicle? Acura did not make you buy the car, so why blame them? I think there are a lot more important features for a vehicle than all the latest techno bling and big brother nannies.
Agreed. Sounds like buyer remorse / tech envy.

I had purchased a 2014 RDX Tech a year ago for my wife. I knew what I was getting when I bought it... Honda Reliability, Quality and Safety. It got t-boned in an accident by a big Tahoe. So it did it's job by protecting us. Now that it's gone, we do miss it and looking to get another Acura for her.

Hope the next brand the OP purchases makes them happy.

Last edited by CybrRdr; 10-18-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:59 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also feel disappointed with Acura, if this is supposed to be a "Premium" version of the 2015, why the CRV has more technology features than the RDX.
I wrote a message to Acura and this was their response:

We greatly appreciate the investment you have made with your RDX along with
the privilege of responding to your message. Our client's satisfaction is
of utmost importance to us and we regret to learn of the disappointment you
have experienced. The current generation Acura RDX was redesigned for the
2013 model year and included the most current technology available at the
time. It is our pleasure to note your valuable feedback which assists us in
fully understanding our client's perspectives.

In the event you have further comments or questions, we welcome you to
contact us. You are also able to reach us at #800-382-2238, option #6 or on
Twitter @AcuraClientCare.

Kind regards,

Acura Client Relations
I don't know if we can join and ask for some recall or reinbursemente.... or I don't know if I can return the car (It's only have 2k miles on) or work on some deal but I feel really frustrated paying this car for 5 years
Old 10-18-2014, 07:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by driveros
I don't know if we can join and ask for some recall or reinbursemente.... or I don't know if I can return the car (It's only have 2k miles on) or work on some deal but I feel really frustrated paying this car for 5 years
Can we safely assume that you were happy with the car when you purchased it?

As much as Acura appreciates your business, the chances of anyone getting anything as slim to none. If you're that unhappy, trade it. If you want a Honda, go buy one.

Everyone has their own criteria - when I made a list of what was important to me, there were several that made the list. When we drove all of them, the Acura was the obvious choice. My list had nothing that was technology-related other than the standard items readily available - and if I started a new list today, it still wouldn't contain the technology in the Honda.

I took a ride in the latest Tesla week before last. This one didn't have the self-driving features turned on yet but they were clearly in the car already. At it takes for these to be enabled is a simple software switch.

It did have some neat features - it would read the speed limit signs as we drove by then and show them on the driver's main screen. If you went over that limit, the speedo indicators would change colors and put a line on the speedo at that particular limit.

What's the next step? Well, right now, the self-driving will supposedly work on private property but when it's available on public streets, I can imagine a Tesla doing exactly what it's supposed to do: drive the speed limit and maintain it's lane without driver input. That all sounds good until your stuck behind one much like being stuck behind a Prius on the HOV lane doing the speed limit.

Guess I'm just a Luddite.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:43 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by driveros
I also feel disappointed with Acura, if this is supposed to be a "Premium" version of the 2015, why the CRV has more technology features than the RDX.
I wrote a message to Acura and this was their response:

I'm sorry, but this post is just plain asinine. You want them to re-imburse you? For what? This is what is wrong with people today. You bought a great car, be happy with your purchase and what it has, not with what it doesn't.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:27 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by hondu
I actually don't care about the blind spot, lane assist, touch screen, LED lights, etc., but these definitely should have at least been optional features for a luxury brand in 2013. The only features I'd prefer the RDX had from the start is the latest navigation, better traffic, and apps features that the MDX and RLX got in 2014. These are features I use everyday. Instead we got the old version which I had in my 2007 RDX. I still have to use my IPhone to check traffic on side streets. But not if I had an 2014 MDX. It would be nice if they let us upgrade to the latest system. It's just software.

I knew what I was buying when I was buying it, but then when you see the other models getting the good stuff only a year later it bothers me, and turns me off entirely to the companies sales strategy. The way I see it they sold us an incomplete car. This 2016 MMC is going to probably be a huge overhaul of missing features that they left out on purpose. I'm not going to buy their cars if they will be outdated at the MMC.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:49 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

This was much better explanation than your previous rant . Anyway we understand. Acura says they didn't have that tech in 2013 (as per previous post by driveros). We hope they rectify their mistake and make up for it in the coming update (now we all know that you have the tech and some more...).
Lets not go overboard by asking for recall / reimbursement. That's not the way it works. They are under no obligation to do that anyway.
I believe that Acura being a responsible company will live up to it's name this time by incorporating the latest available tech in the upcoming refresh. Otherwise they might lose some market share .
Old 10-19-2014, 06:14 PM
Intermediate

Slight correction:

Otherwise they *will* lose some market share .
Old 10-19-2014, 06:55 PM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
The truth is that Honda is the flagship brand for Honda Motor Company. Based on the sales numbers, Acura is a failure for the company as far as profitability, while Honda is the company's bread and butter.

It's essential that the Honda models do well for Honda, while Acura, even if any particular model sells well, barely registers a blip in the marketing bottom line for the corporation. Alternatively, if an Acura model flops, it also really doesn't make a substantial difference in the Company's bottom line. Honda doing well is a must have for the corporation, while Acura is a nice to have, but not must have.

That's why the Honda model will always have the latest and greatest to stay ahead of the competition, while Acura should have the newest cutting edge features, but frequently never does. For a tiny company like Honda, they simply can't afford to man both fronts at the same time.

Until Acura becomes successful enough to be too big to fail, Honda will always offer more value, with more of the latest tech (such as Lanewatch) than Acura.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:18 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by hddnav
The truth is that Honda is the flagship brand for Honda Motor Company. Based on the sales numbers, Acura is a failure for the company as far as profitability, while Honda is the company's bread and butter.
Honda must be doing well through the Acura MDX. I swear every third car here in Marin is an MDX.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:57 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
Honda must be doing well through the Acura MDX. I swear every third car here in Marin is an MDX.
You may be correct - MDX sales have been strong. From a recent release:

Acura
Less than two months on the market and without full supply of the three-model lineup at dealerships, the all-new 2015 Acura TLX luxury performance sedan sparked an 18.8 percent sales surge for the luxury brand, boosting division sales to 13,832 for September over the same month in 2013. TLX sales were second only to the Acura MDX within the entire division, followed by another record performance by the RDX, with the luxury SUVs pushing Acura truck sales to a new September record.
  • The hot-selling new TLX posted sales of 3,884 in September to become Acura's best-selling sedan and second best-selling vehicle, already approaching segment leaders in only its first full month on the market.
  • ILX sales were also up in September, adding 7.4 percent with sales of 1,464 units.
  • Acura truck sales set a new September record, rising 6.8 percent on sales of 8,097 vehicles.
  • Acura's RDX rose 6.9 percent to post its best-ever September for the brand on sales of 3,230 units.
  • MDX sales increased 7.2 percent with 4,864 units sold in September, continuing to solidify its place as the best-selling three-row luxury SUV in America.
"With the MDX and RDX as the best one-two punch in the luxury SUV segment, the TLX is proving to be the knockout punch we've been looking for in the luxury sedan arena," said Mike Accavitti, Acura division senior vice president and general manager. "The TLX is attracting so much attention online and showroom traffic at our dealers that we don't yet know the car's true potential."
I imagine they're well on their way of incorporating the technology that was released with the CRV but they're also celebrating their (relative) success also with the current line of "truck" offerings. Across the entire division, they lost a little ground - thank goodness for the MDX.

Last edited by k7baixo; 10-20-2014 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:52 AM
Pro

I have to ask, how do you know this? I don't believe Honda publishes the profitability of Acura in its financial statements. Are you just assuming this and trying to state it as fact? Their sales numbers have not been too bad considering they eliminated the TL/TSX at the same time. The RDX and MDX sales have been pretty solid.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:38 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by k7baixo
Acura's RDX rose 6.9 percent to post its best-ever September for the brand on sales of 3,230 units.
There you go. In spite of all it's shortcomings RDX is doing well simply because it's a nice upscale vehicle and good value for money. It'll be better next year.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:23 AM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There you go. In spite of all it's shortcomings RDX is doing well simply because it's a nice upscale vehicle and good value for money. It'll be better next year.
To get a better picture of how well RDX is doing here are some more numbers.

September 2014 U.S. SUV And Crossover Sales Rankings - Top 90 Best-Selling SUVs In America - Every SUV Ranked - GOOD CAR BAD CAR
Old 10-20-2014, 09:47 AM
CBP TLX

That's why the Honda model will always have the latest and greatest to stay ahead of the competition, while Acura should have the newest cutting edge features, but frequently never does. For a tiny company like Honda, they simply can't afford to man both fronts at the same time.
So explain why the MDX always gets updated before the Pilot? It's 2015 model year and the Pilot still is that same as it was in 2009.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:12 AM
CBP TLX

Originally Posted by ottoman101
The only features I'd prefer the RDX had from the start is the latest navigation, better traffic, and apps features that the MDX and RLX got in 2014. These are features I use everyday. Instead we got the old version which I had in my 2007 RDX. I still have to use my IPhone to check traffic on side streets. But not if I had an 2014 MDX. It would be nice if they let us upgrade to the latest system. It's just software.

I knew what I was buying when I was buying it, but then when you see the other models getting the good stuff only a year later it bothers me, and turns me off entirely to the companies sales strategy. The way I see it they sold us an incomplete car. This 2016 MMC is going to probably be a huge overhaul of missing features that they left out on purpose. I'm not going to buy their cars if they will be outdated at the MMC.
I agree that the Acuralink Gen 1 Nav system is no good. In fact my wife hates it. But it's not like the Gen 2 system is any better. If fact most car nav systems are plain garbage compared to phone systems. I have an Android phone and Google Maps is just far superior than anything any car manufacturer can offer... that is just a sad fact.

As far is being annoyed that your RDX will be outdated by the time the MCC comes around. I can understand your frustration but the fact is all car companies do this, it's just not isolated to Honda/Acura. The ILX and RDX where the last of the previous generation before Acura revamped their lineup starting with the RLX, MDX, TLX, etc. The upcoming MMC for the ILX and RDX will update them to match the rest of the lineup.

On the bright side, Acura holds excellent residual value so you can trade in your car for whatever latest greatest tech model you so desire. I got a $36k valuation for my totaled 2014 RDX with 14k miles from the insurance company.

Last edited by CybrRdr; 10-20-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Annoyed with Acura/Honda