2nd Gen shock absorber replacement video

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 05:18 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2nd Gen shock absorber replacement video

All,
I have had a very uncomfortable ride and it was originating from rear. The dealer did mention that the one of them was going bad. Its a 2013 RDX with 110 K miles. I bought some KYB gas adjust shocks and replaced both.. Here's the video of left one being replaced.
I apologize about the volume and quality of the video before out.. This will basically give others the idea of how to go around doing. The cost of the both the shocks was around ~$140 as opposed to the $500+ what the dealer was charging for replacing one.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:06 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
So ,are the KYB's are smoother ride or still "choppy" like the OEM's?
Old 10-07-2017, 06:32 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Brown13
So ,are the KYB's are smoother ride or still "choppy" like the OEM's?
Choppy? The RDX, for it's size, in my opinion as well as Edmund's, has great ride quality. And the KYBs are not going to be a soft cushy ride. I have installed them on a previous vehicle to provide better handling and they are commonly used on 60-70's musclecar restorations where the owner doesn't want to use the standard aftermarket offerings from companies like Gabriel. It sucks that there doesn't seem to be a different source for aftermarket shocks.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:16 PM
Cruisin'

Prior to this installation I changed yhe rear shocks on my civic @150 K with KYB . Even at 160 K miles on the clock of the civic, it gave a way smoother ride as compared to my RDX with comparitively 50 K miles lesser. Yes I sat at the passenger side and I could litterally fall asleep. At the driver side the ride has improved considerably but its rides on clouds when i am on the passenger side. So yes KYB is the way to go... if I Could get hold of their complete strut assembly it would help me a lot.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:33 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by DOMonX
Prior to this installation I changed yhe rear shocks on my civic @150 K with KYB . Even at 160 K miles on the clock of the civic, it gave a way smoother ride as compared to my RDX with comparitively 50 K miles lesser. Yes I sat at the passenger side and I could litterally fall asleep. At the driver side the ride has improved considerably but its rides on clouds when i am on the passenger side. So yes KYB is the way to go... if I Could get hold of their complete strut assembly it would help me a lot.
That's great to know ! Thanks for posting the video too....
Old 10-11-2017, 06:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 236 Posts
The dealer did mention that the one of them was going bad.
I wonder how he determined that? I did not see any leakage on the one in your pic.

I had 118,000 miles on my Honda CR-V when I figured at that mileage the original shocks would be done. The KYBs that I installed gave a worse ride. Go figure!
Old 10-11-2017, 06:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 236 Posts
By the way, you always tighten rubber shock bushings like the one on the bottom of that shock, when the vehicle is on the ground.

The reason you do this is so that the rubber in that bushing is not pre-loaded when the suspension is set with the vehicle on the ground.
Doing otherwise will reduce the life of the rubber bushing.

All you have to do is loosen that bolt and then retorque it with all four wheels on the ground.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:20 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Tech
I wonder how he determined that? I did not see any leakage on the one in your pic.

I had 118,000 miles on my Honda CR-V when I figured at that mileage the original shocks would be done. The KYBs that I installed gave a worse ride. Go figure!
the one on the other side squeaked slightly while going over the bumps and it wasn’t coming from the bushing area. I was expecting some fluid leak when I took it off. Moreover i took it for a test drive after replacing just the right side (not in the video ) and yes no more sounds, it gave a smoother ride.

well regarding KYB ‘s I just changed the fronts of the civic with complete strut this past weekend. Handling was exceptional. Everyone has the personal opinions and I just shared mine of the KYB since the original one on the rear shocks of that civic were KYB and being under the same Honda umbrella, decided to go with these
Old 10-17-2017, 03:22 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Tech
By the way, you always tighten rubber shock bushings like the one on the bottom of that shock, when the vehicle is on the ground.

The reason you do this is so that the rubber in that bushing is not pre-loaded when the suspension is set with the vehicle on the ground.
Doing otherwise will reduce the life of the rubber bushing.

All you have to do is loosen that bolt and then retorque it with all four wheels on the ground.
I didn’t tighten them while the wheels were on the ground . But I will loosen them and re tighten them. Thanks for the tip
Old 10-17-2017, 04:46 PM
Cruisin'

I didn’t tighten them while the wheels were on the ground . But I will loosen them and re tighten them. Thanks for the tip
*did tighten them
Old 10-26-2017, 02:57 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
you wouldnt happen to have the Model # of the shocks that were purchased? KG4510?
Old 11-19-2017, 08:50 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by auskip07
you wouldnt happen to have the Model # of the shocks that were purchased? KG4510?
sorry for the delayed response it’s kyb554406
The following users liked this post:
auskip07 (12-01-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 11:49 AM
Advanced

Replaced mine just a few minutes ago. I decided to use the OEM metal top washer because it was so much sturdier than the ones supplied in the KYB kit. Ill report back on how the ride compares.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:33 PM
Advanced

rattle/clunk is gone. feels normal but i didnt buy the car new so all i know is the rattle