2019 Acura RDX will be the first Acura to have a full REDESIGN!!! Proto pics page 12

Old 10-05-2017, 07:15 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyvn
haha! I didn't even know that I was listening to ANC! hahaha! I'll pay closer attention! (I haven't checked...are you sure it can't be turned off? Not that I even noticed it).

My TL had a great sound system...but again, I have to load up a CD that I mixed to make audio comparisons with the RDX. If I ultimately find the RDX system lacking, I'll let Elliot know that the next one needs to be better! (PS, it could also be the physical shape of your TSX and my TL -both sedans, right? - offers a better possibility for sound.).
I think the disconnect with the current ELS setup comes from the type of music you like. I'm a classic rock (Fleetwood Mac etc etc) and smooth jazz (Lee Ritenour etc etc) guy and I think the ELS tuned system in my TLX sounds great! The people who tend to be unhappy with it are the ones who want that low end thump that just isn't there. For most of the classic rock genre it's superb!
The following 2 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
Comfy (10-06-2017), Doobiewah (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 09:01 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
I think the disconnect with the current ELS setup comes from the type of music you like. I'm a classic rock (Fleetwood Mac etc etc) and smooth jazz (Lee Ritenour etc etc) guy and I think the ELS tuned system in my TLX sounds great! The people who tend to be unhappy with it are the ones who want that low end thump that just isn't there. For most of the classic rock genre it's superb!
I have exactly the same flash drive that I had in TSX and RDX with all kinds of music, from hip hop to classics. ELS system in TSX was way better than RDX. I believe it does have something to do with a sedan having a better fit for the sound stage. However, Mazda CX-5 Bose system sounds wonderful. Even Chevrolet Suburban Bose system is top notch. So it can be done in an SUV.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:19 AM
Intermediate

And the ELS in my 17 RDX sounds much better than the ELS in my 07 MDX.

The MDX is now where's near as quiet inside.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX
But.. what is wrong with AWD or any variant of it? Damn, Acura’s SH-AWD is/was awesome and hoping they bring it back for 2019 RDX. In any case, AWD is peace of mind. That little extra grip when needed when the roads go crap.

Originally Posted by Stanuwmad
When roads go crap you have winter tires. Way better piece of mind than AWD with stock OEM tires and way cheaper too. Yes, Hybrid SH-AWD is nice, but why is it so desired again? I don't see it.
You're doing what everyone who doesn't care for AWD does. You're creating a false dichotomy of either winter tires and FWD or all seasons and AWD. There is simply no way in hell a FWD car with winter tires will outhandle the same car with the same winter tires but AWD. You do not need to live out in the middle of nowhere to appreciate the advantages that AWD provide. Furthermore when it comes to SH-AWD (it comes in a non-hybrid form too you know) it aids in BOTH dry and wet handling. It is a sport AWD system. Go test a 2010-2012 RDX or MDX with FWD and then go test one with SH-AWD and come back and tell us you can't feel a difference on a good windy road. The crap system on the 2G RDX is a part time slip and grip system that can't hold and candle to the SH-AWD system and doesn't provide anywhere near the levels of handling as SH-AWD does.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:37 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RDX10

You're doing what everyone who doesn't care for AWD does. You're creating a false dichotomy of either winter tires and FWD or all seasons and AWD. There is simply no way in hell a FWD car with winter tires will outhandle the same car with the same winter tires but AWD. You do not need to live out in the middle of nowhere to appreciate the advantages that AWD provide. Furthermore when it comes to SH-AWD (it comes in a non-hybrid form too you know) it aids in BOTH dry and wet handling. It is a sport AWD system. Go test a 2010-2012 RDX or MDX with FWD and then go test one with SH-AWD and come back and tell us you can't feel a difference on a good windy road. The crap system on the 2G RDX is a part time slip and grip system that can't hold and candle to the SH-AWD system and doesn't provide anywhere near the levels of handling as SH-AWD does.
Again, you did not read what I wrote. I said money wise winter tires make much more sense and provide better traction, especially on icy roads. One thing AWD will not give you: better braking distance. I know this too well, since I almost rear-ended a few cars in Alaska when I had my OEM tires.
There was a reason why I mentioned people in Anchorage are able to drive on icy roads for 5-6 months using Corollas and Civics. Because not many people are true enthusiasts, but their front wheel drive compacts still drive fine during harsh winters. Your average Joe or your average Jane will not be taking tight turns on windy roads, people buy RDX as a comfortable commuter vehicle for everyday city/suburban driving. How many people will take their RDX to the racetrack?

Just FYI: 2010-2012 RDX had AWD only, no front wheel drive option was offered at all. I test drove 2016 MDX Tech with SH-AWD and without it. New MDX is fast, I can definitely feel some extra horses, but I did not care about SH-AWD. Two years ago I even did go to test drive a low mileage 2010 Acura ZDX that also had a fancy AWD, it was terrible - heavy, bulky and slow. That 3.7 V6 did not help it, although navigation screen and overall interior design was nice on ZDX (nice for its time, but forget about rear seats - low roof slope makes rear seats only good for little kids). I think RDX drives sporty enough, extra weight from AWD actually makes it less sporty. As you may know, real sports cars are trying to be light and lose every extra pound/kg. But we are diving into philosophy here. If you want AWD, by all means go buy it. I just don't think most people even try to drive a front wheel version or understand that extra safety does not equal AWD. I also think it is just a pure discrimination to offer AWD only RDX in DC area, when there are guys like me that will want a regular front wheel drive.

Last edited by Stanuwmad; 10-06-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:32 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Just FYI: 2010-2012 RDX had AWD only, no front wheel drive option was offered at all.
Only to clarify, not to nit-pick. All 2007-2009 RDXs were equipped with SH-AWD. In the 2010-12 RDX, SH-AWD became an option, with FWD available as a base configuration. Plenty of these owners on the 1G forums.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:48 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
Only to clarify, not to nit-pick. All 2007-2009 RDXs were equipped with SH-AWD. In the 2010-12 RDX, SH-AWD became an option, with FWD available as a base configuration. Plenty of these owners on the 1G forums.
Well, snap. I did not look at the refreshed 1G RDX, so I just learned something new. I also did not drive 1G RDX since I hated that front grill "only a mother would love" and its mileage was beyond terrible. Do you still have yours? I am in no way picking on you here.

Last edited by Stanuwmad; 10-06-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:57 AM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Well, snap. I did not look at the refreshed 1G RDX, so I just learned something new. I also did not drive 1G RDX since I hated that front grill "only a mother would love" and its mileage was beyond terrible. Do you still have yours? I am in no way picking on you here.
Yep, still have it, and I love it - just so much fun to drive. 21.2 mpg over the 3 years I've owned it. But ya, that refreshed 1G starting in 2010 did indeed have a hideous grill.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:35 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
The title of this thread and the contents have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rocket_man:
can80an (11-19-2017), russianDude (11-13-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 03:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
As I posted in another thread, I just moved from my '15 RDX AWD Tech to a '17 MDX SH-AWD Tech. My biggest gripe was the AWD system in the RDX. I'm a pretty seasoned winter driver, having had my license for over 44 years here in NH driving a myriad of vehicles in RWD, FWD, 4WD and AWD. I've manually engaged hubs, changed from RWD to AWD with a shifter in the cab, and with the touch of a button. I'll first agree that snow tires are your best friend in the winter, regardless of what you drive. No questions. Nokian tires probably has built another factory in part due to income they've gotten from me over the years.

But where I live, the back roads with hills, seemingly permanent ice, and curves to no end, really show the value of the AWD system along with the snow tires. For years, I drove most of the traditional AWD systems and always got thru. Then I made the "mistake" in 2013 of leasing an MDX base. The car was nice, albeit missing some features I wanted, but the SH-AWD was like nothing I ever drove before. Trying to break traction in any single wheel (with or without snow tires) was a tough thing to do, and the phrase "traction like a mountain goat" was something I typically used when describing it. At the same time my wife got a '12 TL SH-AWD Tech, and to this day is still smiling each time she drives it - both in the summer with stock Michelin tires, and in the winter with dedicated 17" Nokian Hakka R's on the 4 corners.

I decided about 30 months ago that I wanted more features, but didn't wanna spring for the MDX. So I figured the RDX with it's AWD system would do as well, so I moved to that car. My experiences with that AWD system, especially last winter, have been shared in some posts on the RDX forum. Needless to say, I really wanted something with SH-AWD this time around. Instead of waiting for the '19 redesign to see if they put it back in, I decided to bail to an MDX, and that's what's now in my garage.

The point? I agree that tires are the main improvement in the winter. And maybe some AWD systems are marketing hype. But after you've driven a couple of winters in an SH-AWD vehicle with dedicated snow tires, you never want anything else. Even some of the Subaru folks (pretty prevalent here in NH) had trouble on roads I would climb right up....

andy
The following users liked this post:
ostrich (10-23-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 06:31 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Andy, in your experience with any of these SH or non-SH AWD systems, do you replace single tires at a time? Of if one, would you replace two of them or all four of them?
Old 10-09-2017, 10:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
Andy, in your experience with any of these SH or non-SH AWD systems, do you replace single tires at a time? Of if one, would you replace two of them or all four of them?
My rule of thumb on a normal AWD system is to replace in pairs, since typically the speed on the same axle comes into play. However, with something like the SH-AWD (or even the Subaru Sequential AWD) I'd err on the side of making sure all 4 are of the same type/age/diameter. I can't speak technically about those AWD systems, but given how they treat each wheel independently, I'd imagine something with even a slightly different diameter might be an issue.

andy
Old 10-10-2017, 02:29 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by andysinnh
My rule of thumb on a normal AWD system is to replace in pairs, since typically the speed on the same axle comes into play. However, with something like the SH-AWD (or even the Subaru Sequential AWD) I'd err on the side of making sure all 4 are of the same type/age/diameter. I can't speak technically about those AWD systems, but given how they treat each wheel independently, I'd imagine something with even a slightly different diameter might be an issue.

andy
Interesting; thanks for your take on it.

Because I'm in Southern California where there is no snow unless you drive to the mountains, I'm sad to say that replacing tires would be an expensive proposition here, especially given the amount of mileage Los Angelenos put on their cars each year. I'd really love to have the SH-AWD just for the traction but couldn't justify the tire expense.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:55 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
So what are the odds that we will see the 2019 at the Los Angeles Auto show? I've seen one article that made mention of it but nothing else. Anyone heard anything promising?
Old 11-02-2017, 11:25 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Would it be reasonable to assume that the 2018 TLX redesign would foreshadow the 2019 RDX redesign? I really like the interior and infotainment improvements. Plus it comes in a 6 with SH-AWD. As manufacturers move to global platforms, would this be the most direct sedan comparison in the Acura family?
Old 11-02-2017, 11:32 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by mattski
Would it be reasonable to assume that the 2018 TLX redesign would foreshadow the 2019 RDX redesign? I really like the interior and infotainment improvements. Plus it comes in a 6 with SH-AWD. As manufacturers move to global platforms, would this be the most direct sedan comparison in the Acura family?
the TLX only got a "refresh" for it's Mid-Model Change.
the RDX will get completely new sheetmetal, going for the corporate "Precision concept" look

in 2014, the MDX was the first to wear the corporate jewel eyes.
now, in 2019 we'll see the new direction Acura is gonna go with for the RDX
Old 11-02-2017, 12:59 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Interesting; thanks for your take on it.

Because I'm in Southern California where there is no snow unless you drive to the mountains, I'm sad to say that replacing tires would be an expensive proposition here, especially given the amount of mileage Los Angelenos put on their cars each year. I'd really love to have the SH-AWD just for the traction but couldn't justify the tire expense.
Having sh-awd will work equally as effective in winter and summer if you love to drive and like pushing your vehicle to its limits when the road gets a twisty. I find sh-awd makes the MDX drive like a smaller vehicle and it feels more stable in corners. I don't switch between summer/winter tires and just stick with ultra all season Conti DWS 06 in New Mexico. I put over 20,000 miles per year with southern trip from SoCal, Houston, New Orleans, and Jacksonville; but, the majority of my trip are to CA, AZ, NV, and CO. I have a set of snow chains for extreme mountain driving when I make trips to Colorado; but, sh-awd+Conti DWS were more than a match for the conditions. Whatever the posted speed limit is for a curve, I can usually go 10-20 mph above that because of sh-awd. You will have less braking before a curve, you will need less HP out of curve because you have carried more speed in, and you will have improved overall mpgs and smoother ride without all that braking/harder accleration.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by justnspace
the TLX only got a "refresh" for it's Mid-Model Change.
the RDX will get completely new sheetmetal, going for the corporate "Precision concept" look

in 2014, the MDX was the first to wear the corporate jewel eyes.
now, in 2019 we'll see the new direction Acura is gonna go with for the RDX
Good point. I guess I was looking at the infotainment and new shift button set-up in the TLX. If we look to the new Accord, that 2.0 turbo engine may be tasked propelling the new RDX. Seems to get positive reviews and apparently has little lag (my biggest pet peeve about turbos in general).
justnspace (11-02-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 10:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
The wait is over...finally Acura has announced that the 2019 RDX will be the first vehicle in the Acura lineup to have the new Diamond Pentagon Grill, Precision Cockpit Infotainment and many more
I would have to dislike a lot on my 2017 RDX for me to change it, and even then, I live with the car till it dies of old age. I drove my Honda CR-V for almost 15 years and I hated the fuel economy and high reving engine at cruise. Marketing people hate consumers like me. LOL

But I am thinking about adding a new Porsche 911 GT3 to the garage.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:35 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Tech
I would have to dislike a lot on my 2017 RDX for me to change it, and even then, I live with the car till it dies of old age. I drove my Honda CR-V for almost 15 years and I hated the fuel economy and high reving engine at cruise. Marketing people hate consumers like me. LOL

Enjoy the V-6+6AT in your 17 RDX. I wouldn't be surprised if everything will be 1.0L supercharged/turbo hybrid electric powertrain with 15AT for +$50,000 for a base model by the time your 17 RDX is ready for trade +15 years later..
Old 11-03-2017, 11:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Enjoy the V-6+6AT in your 17 RDX.
Exactly why I bought it and its my first V6 and first car with an automagic transmission.

I passed on the Macan, X3, NX mostly because of the four-cylinder turbos and the styling of the RX350 did nothing for me.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:23 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you have a gt3 allocation?
Old 11-03-2017, 03:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by verpan
Do you have a gt3 allocation?
No, why?
Old 11-03-2017, 04:27 PM
Advanced

I drove my 91Accord for 120k and that 140hp 4-banger was sweet and smooth as butter on the highway. I think it comes down to hp-weight ratio, as well as the engine itself. Honda makes some of the best. I drive 6cyl now and like the power and quiet, but if they can make an equivalent performer in a 4, I’ll buy it .
Old 11-03-2017, 04:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mattski
I drove my 91Accord for 120k and that 140hp 4-banger was sweet and smooth as butter on the highway.
So was my 1999 CR-V, but 3000 RPM at 100 KPH in top gear was unacceptable for an engine that had 147 HP. My neighbour's 2000 Accord would rev 2500 RPM at 100 KPH with only 3 HP more. It is why I went to a VW Diesel in 2013. But VW bought it back and I could not turn down the deal.

I lived with it for 14 years. My friend has it now. It runs great and is still 100% rust-free.
russianDude (11-13-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 06:33 AM
Advanced

No, why?
Just curious, you said you were looking at getting a new gt3.
justnspace (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 06:54 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
No, why?
because you kinda have to be on a list to get one.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Just curious, you said you were looking at getting a new gt3.
I asked because I wanted a 911R when they came out and was told that they only went to those exclusive customers that already bought a 918, or in my books, Porsche poseurs and speculators, not true enthusiasts. I'll get a GT3, but only after I get the engine and transmission back into my 993. The GT3 will see the track. I'll never track my ultra mint 993; can't replace it if something happened to it.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:33 PM
Advanced

I asked because I wanted a 911R when they came out and was told that they only went to those exclusive customers that already bought a 918, or in my books, Porsche poseurs and speculators, not true enthusiasts. I'll get a GT3, but only after I get the engine and transmission back into my 993. The GT3 will see the track. I'll never track my ultra mint 993; can't replace it if something happened to it.
I won't even question that strange logic. I will leave that to the p car forums.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:41 PM
Burning Brakes

I won't even question that strange logic. I will leave that to the p car forums.
What part?

As for the p-car forums, I don't waste much time there anymore. There are a few people in the 993 folder that actually know something and that I will go to regarding suspension info, the rest of the car I know inside-out. I can tell you stories of some of the threads on RL where the info supplied was dead wrong from members and even a guru (shop owner who also preps track cars).
Old 11-06-2017, 03:29 PM
Advanced

What part?

As for the p-car forums, I don't waste much time there anymore. There are a few people in the 993 folder that actually know something and that I will go to regarding suspension info, the rest of the car I know inside-out. I can tell you stories of some of the threads on RL where the info supplied was dead wrong from members and even a guru (shop owner who also preps track cars).
Why are you willing to take the risk to track a new GT3 but will not track a 993? How 'mint' can it be such that the value proposition makes sense? https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...le/porsche/993
Old 11-06-2017, 03:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Why are you willing to take the risk to track a new GT3 but will not track a 993? How 'mint' can it be such that the value proposition makes sense? https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...le/porsche/993
You have a point, but I like it more than a new one, plus I put a lot of TLC and passion into it. Then there are the sentimental aspects.
Plus I can replace a new car today. It is tough finding a 20 year old car that hasn't been butchered by DIYers.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:47 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a newb here and lurked on this thread, and other threads here, before opting to purchase a 2018 RDX. Thanks for the good info here that influenced my decision. I thought about waiting for the new redesign, I'm not too keen on the beak look, but opted to buy now due to the fact it's a regular 6-speed tranny and v6. Though not confirmed, I didn't want a new engine like a turbo'd 4banger and/or a CVT trans. So I got over the beak look and bought now.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:11 AM
Intermediate

That's why we bought in 2017.

Thought the 2018 would have those changes, and wanted no part of it.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
I expect the 2019 RDX to have a 4-cylinder, but I do not expect it to have a CVT. The base powertrain will likely be some variation of the Accord's 2.0T/10-speed combo, with an option for a Sport Hybrid variant.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:36 AM
Intermediate

Agreed, but I'd still rather have the 6 speed.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:35 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by barnowl
And the ELS in my 17 RDX sounds much better than the ELS in my 07 MDX.

The MDX is now where's near as quiet inside.
We had an 11 Tech (same as your 07 for the stereo), and the 14 and 17 I have a way better stereo, period.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:37 AM
Intermediate

I'd agree with that.

I enjoyed the stereo in the 07, until I experienced the stereo in the 17.

Don't get me wrong, the 07 still sounds great, as it was state of the art 10 years ago.

But the 17 is better.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:10 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX2018
I'm a newb here and lurked on this thread, and other threads here, before opting to purchase a 2018 RDX. Thanks for the good info here that influenced my decision. I thought about waiting for the new redesign, I'm not too keen on the beak look, but opted to buy now due to the fact it's a regular 6-speed tranny and v6. Though not confirmed, I didn't want a new engine like a turbo'd 4banger and/or a CVT trans. So I got over the beak look and bought now.

the “beak” can be hidden so it’s less of a polarizing look. I dipped mine black.

2019 Acura RDX will be the first Acura to have a full REDESIGN!!! Proto pics page 12-eijddme.jpg

Last edited by Acura604; 11-21-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a 2016 RDX AWD base model. I had a 2016 TLX V6 TECH SH-AWD. If the new RDX comes with that craptastic 9 or 10 speed transmission, I will never be buying another ACURA. Love the super smooth power train in the RDX. The TLX was a total nightmare. Sold it after only 6 months. Lost my arse on it also. Just a horrible horrible car.

My RDX had a way nicer stereo sound with much fuller bass. The TLX sounded empty.

I got tired of driving down the road in my TLX and out of no where would get shaking and vibrations. It was so bad the passenger belt buckle would start smacking the center console. I never figured out if it was the transmission or the SH-AWD causing the vibration issues. It was all NORMAL according to the dealer. Well not to me and my 35 years of driving cars was anything like that normal, especially in a car that cost this much and is billed as semi luxury or where ever they place it.

The slip and grip in the RDX is not as good as the SH-AWD but it will do. The RDX has been rattle free and very quiet. The TLX was rattling and just a miserable purchase.

And to have cars at this price point with no heated steering wheel is a joke.

My 2016 KIA SX-L is way nicer than the TLX. Thumping 540 watt Harmon Kardon stereo. Panoramic roof. 360 camera. RACC. Heated steering wheel and rear seats. Ventilated front seats. NAV that blows ACURA out of the water. Phone ease of use. Flat bottom steering wheel. Painted calibers. Power folding mirrors. Active headlights. No auto start/stop garbage. Brake hold that I engage when I want it. A back up camera that actually shows in color instead of blurred brown. Yes a KIA. Don't knock it until you try it. Good power, good gas mileage, better warranty, comes with Michelins, smooth and quiet. And a smooth shifting normal 6 speed transmission. Killer leg room front and REAR. LIMO like leg room. Huge trunk. Nappa leather seats. AND it runs on REGULAR even with a TURBO. I paid $10k less for the KIA than my crappy ACURA. Figured I saved back enough to make it work from the loss I took from ACURA.

Last edited by dboz; 11-21-2017 at 09:25 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2019 Acura RDX will be the first Acura to have a full REDESIGN!!! Proto pics page 12