2019 Acura RDX will be the first Acura to have a full REDESIGN!!! Proto pics page 12

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 06:11 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
LOL...indeed we did.
Hey, if we can't laugh at ourselves...
am I right?

At the end of the day, in all of these threads...people will always defend their big purchases with varying degrees of intensity and rage. Nobody wants to feel stupid for dropping $35K on something and having someone else talk shit about it. I love cars, but I don't take it personally if other people don't like the ones I choose.
Then again, I've been on the internet long enough to grow pretty callous. I laugh at almost everything now and stick to ramblings unless there's a thread with a concise question that needs answer aND the OP doesn't come across like a privileged millennial with no manners.

Now get off my lawn!
Old 09-22-2017, 12:48 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
At the end of the day, you're still going to be paying $10k+ if you want an Audi or a BMW or a Mercedes that has all the features of an RDX Advance. Plain and simple. That statement remains true. You guys can whine all you want and piss in your little, um, "DEUCE" bags (whatever the hell that is), but at the end of day, logic dictates that you'll be bringing that extra $10k+ to the dealership of your choice. Now suck it up and get over it.

Please turn in your final tests at the end of the semester so I can grade them:
https://www.amazon.com/Puzzle-Barons-Logic-Puzzles-brain-challenging/dp/1615640320/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1506000011&sr=8-2&keywords=logic+problems https://www.amazon.com/Puzzle-Barons-Logic-Puzzles-brain-challenging/dp/1615640320/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1506000011&sr=8-2&keywords=logic+problems
Old 09-22-2017, 08:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyvn
at the end of the day, you're still going to be paying $10k+ if you want an audi or a bmw or a mercedes that has all the features of an rdx advance. Plain and simple. That statement remains true. You guys can whine all you want and piss in your little, um, "deuce" bags (whatever the hell that is), but at the end of day, logic dictates that you'll be bringing that extra $10k+ to the dealership of your choice. Now suck it up and get over it.

Please turn in your final tests at the end of the semester so i can grade them: https://www.amazon.com/puzzle-barons...logic+problems
Old 09-22-2017, 09:05 AM

I guess the next logical step would be to decide if German quality and driving feel is worth the extra $10k.
I guess if you're already at 40, what's 50k?!? If you can afford it, obviously.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
Yup. It's like talking to a wall.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rockstar143
LOL...indeed we did.
Hey, if we can't laugh at ourselves...
am I right?

At the end of the day, in all of these threads...people will always defend their big purchases with varying degrees of intensity and rage. Nobody wants to feel stupid for dropping $35K on something and having someone else talk shit about it. I love cars, but I don't take it personally if other people don't like the ones I choose.
Then again, I've been on the internet long enough to grow pretty callous. I laugh at almost everything now and stick to ramblings unless there's a thread with a concise question that needs answer aND the OP doesn't come across like a privileged millennial with no manners.

Now get off my lawn!
Lol I agree 100%, you have to be able to laugh at your ownself. I'm not trying to insult anyones purchase here, and I agree a lot of people tend to get defensive when they like a vehicle or have put a lot of money. But it's stupid as fuck to continually argue that you're saving 10k for the same features when there is obviously more to it than 10k difference for the same features. I wasn't arguing about the 10k difference (whether it exists or not) I was simply stating that there are also other reasons there is a 10k difference but it's like talking to a child throwing a tantrum so I'm done wasting time on him.

Also no I'm not getting off your lawn grandpa
The following users liked this post:
rockstar143 (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 12:12 PM

the crazy part is, I'm not that old!
Well...I have had what I consider a good variety of cars.
So far, as far as how the car drives...I'll likely be going with a performance German car down the line.
The other beauty part of it being overpriced...is that they ALSO take the biggest depreciation hit.
I'm sure there's an equilibrium point where, say 2 years down the line, the German and Japanese SUV are similarly priced in the used market.

SQ5...yes please.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:32 PM
Advanced

Actually, my son and I liked the SQ5 interior more than the Q5. Perhaps they are in essence the same, and perhaps it was just the trim choices that we preferred, but it was def nicer. But again, we're adding even another $15k or something over the cost of a normal Q5? Gets super pricey.

My son is hoping that they come out with an SQ3. As I mentioned upthread, and maybe it was just the particular car we saw on the showroom, but we much preferred the interior of the Q3 over the Q5. If they came with a SQ3 with a more powerful engine, that might be a real consideration.

For RDX: you wrote: "But it's stupid as fuck to continually argue that you're saving 10k for the same features when there is obviously more to it than 10k difference for the same features." Another Logic class failure. I never argued that I was saving $10k for the same features. That wouldn't be true, because as you have all pointed out, there are other differentiators (and advantages) to the Audi/BMW/Merc. Instead, I argued that, to get all the features carried on an RDX Advance, you'd have to pay $10k via Audi/BMW/Merc. There's a difference between the two statements, and if you don't see the difference, then you don't understand basic Logic. It's ok. I failed Literature.
rockstar143 (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 12:35 PM
Suzuka Master

the crazy part is, I'm not that old!
Well...I have had what I consider a good variety of cars.
So far, as far as how the car drives...I'll likely be going with a performance German car down the line.
The other beauty part of it being overpriced...is that they ALSO take the biggest depreciation hit.
I'm sure there's an equilibrium point where, say 2 years down the line, the German and Japanese SUV are similarly priced in the used market.

SQ5...yes please.
I'm on mobile so I don't know if your age is displayed, but iirc you're like 32?

I always had nothing but German cars myself (3 touaregs and 2 X5's) and I always told myself I would stick to nothing but German or European cars (almost bought a older range rover sport and XC90). It's the clean lines and timeless designs that really draw me in, it's the attention to detail and the build quality as well. That's all before I ever get behind the wheel. I then owned a the RDX, MDX, and Sorento. The RDX drove amazingly (best driver of anything I ever owned) but was cramped and slightly ugly in the front), the MDX was more roomy but crap kept going wrong so it was time to go too, then the Sorento drove very well (not nearly as well as the RDX and a bit worse than the MDX) but I just got bored of it.

Ultimately after my foray into the non-german field I learned that I have been spoiled AF by German vehicles and that asian vehicles will not do it for me. There is just this sort of almost "connected" feeling you get when driving a German car. Even the best handling performance sedan out of Asia still feels like a machine and an appliance to me. Quality aside, the Germans really know how to make you feel special when driving their vehicles, I haven't felt that way driving anything asian but the RDX was VERY close.

Oh and SQ5
Old 09-22-2017, 12:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Actually, my son and I liked the SQ5 interior more than the Q5. Perhaps they are in essence the same, and perhaps it was just the trim choices that we preferred, but it was def nicer. But again, we're adding even another $15k or something over the cost of a normal Q5? Gets super pricey.

My son is hoping that they come out with an SQ3. As I mentioned upthread, and maybe it was just the particular car we saw on the showroom, but we much preferred the interior of the Q3 over the Q5. If they came with a SQ3 with a more powerful engine, that might be a real consideration.

For RDX: you wrote: "But it's stupid as fuck to continually argue that you're saving 10k for the same features when there is obviously more to it than 10k difference for the same features." Another Logic class failure. I never argued that I was saving $10k for the same features. That wouldn't be true, because as you have all pointed out, there are other differentiators (and advantages) to the Audi/BMW/Merc. Instead, I argued that, to get all the features carried on an RDX Advance, you'd have to pay $10k via Audi/BMW/Merc. There's a difference between the two statements, and if you don't see the difference, then you don't understand basic Logic. It's ok. I failed Literature.
Clearly we are never going to be on the same page with this. Enjoy your weekend.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by RDX10
There is just this sort of almost "connected" feeling you get when driving a German car. :
I'm 38.
I grew up on Hondas.
My buddy lent me his 2012 S5 in a 6MT for a week...I've never been the same since.
I currently own an S2000, CTS-V Wagon and a beater high mileage Audi A3 Sport Wagon in 6MT and I'm embarrassed to admit that
I reach for the keys for the Audi VERY often.

I've had loaner TLX and RDX and that's exactly right...they have all the right parts, but they FEEL like rolling computers. IN this day and age, yes...you get all the same things in almost all the cars. Air up your ass, a screen that's too big in a thing you should be doing everything but watching a screen in...4 tires if you're lucky and most of them still include a steering wheel.

But that's it...most manufacturers are shooting for more autonomous and more twitter feed connectivity and are forgetting that we are sitting in that thing to DRIVE.

That's not for everyone, I get that...cars are different things to different people. But to me, feeling solid, the suspension, handling, power, MANUAL DAMMNNNNN TRANSMISSION!, looks...all matter...and German cars get it right. Doesn't mean nothing else does too...but consistently, there's a reason you're paying more for that German (over)engineering maintenance nightmare.

I think the Q3 dimensions are okay but look feminine to me...that Q5 with the roof racks...looks hard! Plus, more power? GoAPR...2.0T and like $1500 for stage 2 tuning and a downpipe and you won't need to go any quicker in that.
RDX10 (09-23-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 06:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
there always the xc60 if you dont want something german and lots of features
Old 09-22-2017, 07:57 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as I'm concerned it just needs to go up a hill fast and last 10 plus years. I just need to get to work and go kitesurfing!🤣
Old 09-23-2017, 01:13 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RDX10
Clearly we are never going to be on the same page with this. Enjoy your weekend.

Hahaha! Ok, let's see if you can understand some basic Logic.

1) A person can get the same features of an Audi Q5 for $10k+ less by buying an Acura RDX Advance. FALSE.

2) To get all the features offered by an Acura RDX Advance in an Audi Q5, a person must spend $10k+ more. TRUE.

I've always and only stated Number 2, but for some reason, the Logic-challenged on this board seem to think 1 and 2 are the same statement. If you think you might be one of those persons, you really might consider the Amazon book I've referenced. One might find Logic helpful in all sorts of areas of life!
Old 09-23-2017, 01:50 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly I just consider my RDX a CRV with the 8,000 dollar "tail lights that don't look like crap option."
And worth every penny not to have that god awful rear view.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:00 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm 38.
I grew up on Hondas.
My buddy lent me his 2012 S5 in a 6MT for a week...I've never been the same since.
I currently own an S2000, CTS-V Wagon and a beater high mileage Audi A3 Sport Wagon in 6MT and I'm embarrassed to admit that
I reach for the keys for the Audi VERY often.

I've had loaner TLX and RDX and that's exactly right...they have all the right parts, but they FEEL like rolling computers. IN this day and age, yes...you get all the same things in almost all the cars. Air up your ass, a screen that's too big in a thing you should be doing everything but watching a screen in...4 tires if you're lucky and most of them still include a steering wheel.

But that's it...most manufacturers are shooting for more autonomous and more twitter feed connectivity and are forgetting that we are sitting in that thing to DRIVE.

That's not for everyone, I get that...cars are different things to different people. But to me, feeling solid, the suspension, handling, power, MANUAL DAMMNNNNN TRANSMISSION!, looks...all matter...and German cars get it right. Doesn't mean nothing else does too...but consistently, there's a reason you're paying more for that German (over)engineering maintenance nightmare.

I think the Q3 dimensions are okay but look feminine to me...that Q5 with the roof racks...looks hard! Plus, more power? GoAPR...2.0T and like $1500 for stage 2 tuning and a downpipe and you won't need to go any quicker in that.
38 is nothing at all lol.

I have always had German cars but I got tired of the upkeep so I decided to dip my toes into the Asian automobile pool. The RDX gave the driving experieince I craved but not the luxury, the MDX was a significant step down in handling and a half step up in luxury. IMHO the 1G RDX and the MDX represent the best handling Asian crossovers (next to the infiniti FX/Qx70) but they still lack that soul and connected feeling.

I hear you on wanting to feel the road, Germans so far are the only ones who know how to make you feel the road without feeling the harshness. Everyone else seems to think the car has to have struts and shocks made of solid iron in order to be sporty. It's that Germanic over-dampened feeling that I love along with just right steering and this feeling of being "just right".

I like the Q3 (LOVE the RSQ3) but I agree it is somewhat feminine but more than that I really don't like the FWD based architecture (even though it is a VERY good platform. FWIW that Q3 also comes with a 2.0T that can be APR tuned. However that 3.0T in the SQ5 is SICK.

1) A person can get the same features of an Audi Q5 for $10k+ less by buying an Acura RDX Advance. FALSE.

2) To get all the features offered by an Acura RDX Advance in an Audi Q5, a person must spend $10k+ more. TRUE.

I've always and only stated Number 2, but for some reason, the Logic-challenged on this board seem to think 1 and 2 are the same statement. If you think you might be one of those persons, you really might consider the Amazon book I've referenced. One might find Logic helpful in all sorts of areas of life!
OK and I have stated neither number 1 nor number 2. I did not disagree with you that the Q5 costs 10K more to get all the features of the RDX, all I did say was that the Q5 has extra things that also account for the 10K difference. That is all. What you are stating and what I am stating are not in conflict with each other AT ALL. So now go take your own logic classes and a reading comprehension class too. HotRod did say that there was a less than 10K difference or something along those lines. I however did not not and am not making that statement. In fact I live in Canada and our price structures are different than you guys (the RDX Advance trim goes for a whopping 54k here) so I cannot even comment on price. Beyond this I am not sure how else I can explain this to you and for someone who keeps telling people to "get over it" you can't seem to let it go.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Hey....I heard that the 2019 Acura RDX will be the first with a full redesign!
Old 09-23-2017, 09:20 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by quantum7
Hey....I heard that the 2019 Acura RDX will be the first with a full redesign!
Hahahahahaha!
Old 09-23-2017, 09:58 AM
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts
My tire guy told me that many places in the U.S. will refuse to sell you one or two tires for an AWD vehicle, because otherwise, they open themselves up to lawsuits when the AWD system breaks down from using differing tires. With that in mind, I will probably NEVER own an AWD vehicle, because I have no interest in constantly replacing 4 tires at at time. Way too much $$$
Not to get too far off topic but .....
Replacing just one tire on AWD or FWD is not usually recommended. Replacing two (on both axles) is almost always OK as long as the other two (on the other axle) are good, with adequate treadlife.

Passing on an AWD for this reason seems like overkill. How many times have you actually had a blowout that requires replacing only 1 tire? Planning your car purchase for that type of unlikely eventuality would be like skipping a sunroof because of the risk of grapefruit sized hail coming through the glass. AWD is a great feature for many drivers.
quantum7 (09-23-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 10:12 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Scott in AZ
Not to get too far off topic but .....
Replacing just one tire on AWD or FWD is not usually recommended. Replacing two (on both axles) is almost always OK as long as the other two (on the other axle) are good, with adequate treadlife.

Passing on an AWD for this reason seems like overkill. How many times have you actually had a blowout that requires replacing only 1 tire? Planning your car purchase for that type of unlikely eventuality would be like skipping a sunroof because of the risk of grapefruit sized hail coming through the glass. AWD is a great feature for many drivers.
Scott, perhaps, but I live in Los Angeles, and on more occasions than I care to remember, I've been replacing one tire for one reason or another. So, I don't quite look at it as the grapefruit sized hail. I've spoken to my trusted tire guys, who have said that it is possible to damage the car (and/or its warranty?) by not adhering to the guidelines set forth in the car's instruction manual. Secondarily, in the case of an RDX, it adds $1500 to the price of the car. Third, you do get slightly worse gas mileage.

So let's look at the advantages. Traction. Ok. Do I need that in everyday L.A. driving? No snow. Only occasional rain; rain during which, in all my years of driving, I've never had an accident. Off-roading. None really to speak of. I get the sense that AWD also has advantages to "enthusiast" driving; taking hard corners, fast acceleration. Well, that's not really me, either. Maybe there are other advantages of which I am not aware?
Old 09-23-2017, 10:20 AM
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts
Good points. I agree that in LA or PHX (and much of the Sun Belt), AWD is unnecessary, and adds new price and maintenance cost. Those reasons (in my opinion) are better reasons to pass on AWD than tires. We live in PHX and have an AWD MDX as well as a 2WD RDX, mainly because wife wanted to spend a little less money. We're up in Prescott at 6000' and use the MDX for occasional snowy weather. Both SUVS have been great., by the way.

And I did some homework on replacing four versus two tires, and you are also correct. At least more correct than me:

"Finally, if you own an all-wheel drive vehicle, the first step before buying a new tire or pair of tires (short of installing four new ones) is to read the vehicle’s owner’s manual. Many makes of all-wheel drive vehicles will stipulate that all four tires must be of the same size, brand, model, and state of wear. Any deviation could result in an all-wheel drive system failure due to the stress placed on it from rotating dissimilar overall diameter tires."
- Consumer Reports, 2009 Tire Guide

Last edited by Scott in AZ; 09-23-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts

Since you refuse to let this go and seem hell-bent on the specifics, let's evaluate exactly what you originally stated. You did not say "To get all the features offered by an Acura RDX Advance in an Audi Q5, a person must spend $10k+ more." as you repeatedly claim, but rather you stated, and I quote:

"They [the Q5 and X3] are $10k more minimum than a similarly equipped RDX."

Your words exactly. And again, IT IS NOT TRUE. It is well-documented that they are not similarly-equipped. A Q5 Premium Plus is as close as you can get to "similarly-equipped", and it is not priced $10k higher. And even in Premium Plus trim, the Q5 still comes with features/benefits you cannot get on the RDX.

Last edited by HotRodW; 09-23-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:06 PM
Advanced

Rod,we are coming at this from two different points of view. After I wrote that, and because you and others rightfully pointed out that there's no way to "similarly equip" them (yes, true), I clarified the intent of my statement that to get everything included on an ADVANCE, you need to spend $10k+ more via Audi/B/M. (yes, also true).

In my particular case, I'd like a vehicle to include all the safety features of the ADVANCE (it's a shame those features are not standard on every Acura), and to get those in the Audi, one has to go Prestige w/Driver Assist package. Living in L.A., I also want the ventilated seats (available only on the RDX ADVANCE package - again too bad not offered on lower RDX trims - and available as the Warm Weather package on the Audi).
Old 09-23-2017, 07:03 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Stop the madness! This thread is ridiculous. I have a 2016 RDX Advance and love it. Yeah, other shit out there may be better in some ways but you’re going to pay a serious premium for it. IMO the RDX is a best bang for the buck deal. Also, I love that it’s basically a Honda which means ultra reliability. That’s very important to me.

I’ve been an exclusive Acura owner/driver since 1994 model year. Five Acura’s later I now have my 2016 RDX Advance. They’ve all been ultra reliable, very minimal issues, and the small issues I did have were always covered under warrantee. Even oil changes are free for the life of the car.

Like you all, I’m hoping Acura really kicks ass with the 2019 model. In anticipation…
Old 09-23-2017, 11:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX
Stop the madness! This thread is ridiculous. I have a 2016 RDX Advance and love it. Yeah, other shit out there may be better in some ways but you’re going to pay a serious premium for it. IMO the RDX is a best bang for the buck deal. Also, I love that it’s basically a Honda which means ultra reliability. That’s very important to me.

I’ve been an exclusive Acura owner/driver since 1994 model year. Five Acura’s later I now have my 2016 RDX Advance. They’ve all been ultra reliable, very minimal issues, and the small issues I did have were always covered under warrantee. Even oil changes are free for the life of the car.

Like you all, I’m hoping Acura really kicks ass with the 2019 model. In anticipation…
I fully agree with you. It's literally getting to the point where we are arguing about semantics and it no longer has anything to do with the thread.

I would not buy a 2G RDX because it doesn't drive the way I like my cars to drive and is missing a couple features that I really like. But ultimately it is an OK car and does provide some decent value when compared to some more premium competitors because whether we agree or not (I don't but it doesn't matter) the RDX competes with the Q5 and X3 and GLC and feature vs feature the RDX is a compelling alternative based on value and other merits as well.

Now coming back to the thread topic, I am excited that the RDX is going to be the first car to represent all of Acuras latest tricks and features. IMHO Honda has skipped like 3 steps forward with their latest generation of vehicles from a technology, style, and features point of view. I mean hell I've seen about 7 reviews on the new CRV and it is unanimously agreed that the CRV drives as well as the class leader the CX5 but it's much faster too and that's gotta hurt Mazda. So if Honda could jump so far in one generation, I have faith that Acura will also take a large jump with the next generation. My one and only reservation is that I would like Honda to stop neutering the Acura lineup with a 300hp cap/trying to stay at or around 300hp all the time. 300hp is pretty much common place among mainstream crossovers and sedans these days so either up the power or provide better ways of making that power (think sport hybrid here).
Old 09-24-2017, 12:02 AM
Advanced

Hahaha, yes, let's stop the madness!

The interesting thing with the RDX is the various opinions and desires that Acura (or any car manufacturer, for that matter) has to address and hope to fulfill (at least somewhat). Some of the people have posted on this thread that the 1G RDX was a great driving car that was (at least partially) neutered in the 2G. Meanwhile, there are others that prefer an auto that is at least a bit more geared towards comfort than a sporty drive.

One thing I already know is that I'm not a huge fan of the new Acura grill, and I think it's probable (at least from the camo pics) that we'll see that on the new RDX. Another thing I'm not crazy about is the trend towards 2.0L Turbo engines, and by all accounts, that is a likely move for Acura to make on the 2019 RDX. I've sat in the new CR-V, and it is quite nice, so at least Honda has upped the game. Hopefully, the RDX 2019 will be a winner overall.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
i thought that post 217 would send the message.....
Old 09-24-2017, 10:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by quantum7
i thought that post 217 would send the message.....
Here's hoping that we got over it
Old 09-24-2017, 12:36 PM
Advanced

Haha, I had hoped so, too, Quantum7. But HotRod, just like in The Godfather, just had to get in there to break the peace.

Hey, I heard that the RDX is gonna be redesigned for 2019. You guys hear anything about that?
Old 10-04-2017, 09:13 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Haha, I had hoped so, too, Quantum7. But HotRod, just like in The Godfather, just had to get in there to break the peace.

Hey, I heard that the RDX is gonna be redesigned for 2019. You guys hear anything about that?
You're either an engineer or an attorney. Your point of you made complete sense and this is coming from someone who owned BMWs up until the last 2 cars.There's a reason I switched to Japanese automakers which is something you clearly proved.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:49 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a previous owner of 2014 RDX Tech AWD, I absolutely loved the car and its interior comfort, especially leg/knee room. Acceleration, plush stable handling, exterior/interior design and ergonomics - all wonderful. 2G RDX does offer amazing value and there is nothing even close in its price range that offers similar features, reliability and fuel economy. Things to improve: weak ELS sound system, navigation was extremely outdated.

I don't know why German cars are so praised here. I drove 2016 Q5 and 2016 Q3, I liked Q3 way more. It is cheaper, interior is way more smooth and ergonomic. Audi is also very comfortable inside - enough leg room, sufficient seat width. But Q3 is somewhat weak with acceleration and a bit rough over bumps. I also took 2016 BMW X1 for a test drive - what an overpriced garbage. Tiny seats, tiny interior, but costs huge money for what it is. I also don't get why BMW cars have this incline/decline floor up front? I just don't get it. 2016 BMW X3 is way better than X1, but price gets to insanity for what it is when nicely packaged. One thing BMW does well is handling and acceleration, but that's it. I tried to drive 2016 MB GLA, but lack of ample leg room and tiny front door opening just did not feel right. MB GLK was weird and badly overpriced, GLC looks way better, but I did not drive it yet.

AWD: as someone who had lived in Wisconsin, Alaska and DC area for a total of 12 adult years (excluding other years in FL), I can absolutely say that AWD/4WD is an absolute waste of money. Unless you live somewhere in the deep country with unpaved roads. AWD brings extra price, extra weight, extra fuel consumption, extra maintenance, extra cogs that could fail etc. For those people that may not know this: they do not use salt on the roads in Alaska, except some rare occasions on super steep hills, but even that is super rare. Roads in Anchorage are icy for around 5 months every year. Most people use winter tires, many use studded tires. I tried to last a winter with winter tires and a winter without them in my 2014 RDX. What did I learn? Michelin All-seasons did generally well, but slipped badly on ice. All-wheel drive was a joke, I would slip and slide with all 4 wheels everywhere. Now when I had a winter with winter tires (studless Hankook iPike) everything changed. My car was almost glued to the road, I barely ever slipped, even on ice. People love pickups in Alaska, but in Anchorage many people drive Civics and Corollas and do just fine because they use winter tires.

TL;DR: AWD is a useless marketing scam that is used to make extra money. 95% of people do not need AWD, but they buy it because in many areas 95% of RDXs are only offered with AWD (like DC area, where it snows twice a year). Buy front wheel drive RDX and an extra set of winter tires. You will spend $450 on a set of tires, but you will save around $2000+ total: AWD option + extra gas + extra maintenance over the years. Winter tires will provide stable traction, safety, acceleration and (the most important thing) safe braking. They will extend the life of your OEM tires, places like Costco will mount them for a low price.

I am waiting for 2019 RDX and may actually buy it. If new Acura interior is going to be as good as 2018 Accord, it will be a big win. I just hope they don't make a wide center console which kills the legroom, just like new 2017 Lexus RX - terrible legroom. I also hope RDX will be offered in front wheel drive. I will not buy an AWD car again, unless it is Tesla where AWD just makes sense.

Last edited by Stanuwmad; 10-04-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:05 PM
Advanced

Stanuwmad, great post. (However, your statement that "...there is nothing even close in its price range..." is likely to wake the angry dragons again, who just have to point out ad nauseam that "it's not an apples to apples comparison". You might want to don your flame retardant suit.)

Agreed on nearly counts. I pointed out my similar feel that the Q3 was preferable to the Q5 in many areas. If only Audi comes out with an SQ3. Now that would be a consideration.

I finally leased a 2018 RDX, and I love it, although I haven't even taken the time to read the manual, so I haven't dialed in everything I eventually will. I've never had sport paddles before, so I'm enjoying that part of it. I wish the dash instrumentation in front of me were blue or something a little sexier than pretty much white.

I'm actually a recording engineer by trade and haven't taken the time to properly dial in the ELS Sound system. I can only do this by burning a CD of something that I mixed and then adjusting the sound. I know Elliot Scheiner pretty well (ELS), and we engineers typically go for a more "meat and potatoes strength" type of sound, rather than a super hi-fi sound found on many high end home stereo set ups. Not suggesting that one approach is better than the other; just making a comment that different sound systems will strike different people in different ways. I'll comment further once I've taken the time to dial in, however, my viewpoint may be inconsistent with the viewpoints of the masses anyway.

I've been driving a 2005 Acura TL for the last 12 years, so using that as a reference, I like having the 6 speeds of the RDX. Sport mode strikes me quite similarly in both vehicles, although in what little time I've used it on the RDX thus far, I feel that the TL *may* have a little more oomph. That could also be because I haven't much been on the open road with the RDX, and in L.A. traffic, it's not often I get to let the RDX unwind in Sport Mode.

My current plan is to stick with this for two years...once the new one comes out next year, if I like it, I will likely wait a year for it to work its bugs out and get in on the second year of the new model. I agree that Honda is upping the game with the new CR-V and Accord, so hopefully Acura's next swipe at the RDX will be a positive one.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:13 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Originally Posted by Stanuwmad
As a previous owner of 2014 RDX Tech AWD, I absolutely loved the car and its interior comfort, especially leg/knee room. Acceleration, plush stable handling, exterior/interior design and ergonomics - all wonderful. 2G RDX does offer amazing value and there is nothing even close in its price range that offers similar features, reliability and fuel economy. Things to improve: weak ELS sound system, navigation was extremely outdated.

I don't know why German cars are so praised here. I drove 2016 Q5 and 2016 Q3, I liked Q3 way more. It is cheaper, interior is way more smooth and ergonomic. Audi is also very comfortable inside - enough leg room, sufficient seat width. But Q3 is somewhat weak with acceleration and a bit rough over bumps. I also took 2016 BMW X1 for a test drive - what an overpriced garbage. Tiny seats, tiny interior, but costs huge money for what it is. I also don't get why BMW cars have this incline/decline floor up front? I just don't get it. 2016 BMW X3 is way better than X1, but price gets to insanity for what it is when nicely packaged. One thing BMW does well is handling and acceleration, but that's it. I tried to drive 2016 MB GLA, but lack of ample leg room and tiny front door opening just did not feel right. MB GLK was weird and badly overpriced, GLC looks way better, but I did not drive it yet.

AWD: as someone who had lived in Wisconsin, Alaska and DC area for a total of 12 adult years (excluding other years in FL), I can absolutely say that AWD/4WD is an absolute waste of money. Unless you live somewhere in the deep country with unpaved roads. AWD brings extra price, extra weight, extra fuel consumption, extra maintenance, extra cogs that could fail etc. For those people that may not know this: they do not use salt on the roads in Alaska, except some rare occasions on super steep hills, but even that is super rare. Roads in Anchorage are icy for around 5 months every year. Most people use winter tires, many use studded tires. I tried to last a winter with winter tires and a winter without them in my 2014 RDX. What did I learn? Michelin All-seasons did generally well, but slipped badly on ice. All-wheel drive was a joke, I would slip and slide with all 4 wheels everywhere. Now when I had a winter with winter tires (studless Hankook iPike) everything changed. My car was almost glued to the road, I barely ever slipped, even on ice. People love pickups in Alaska, but in Anchorage many people drive Civics and Corollas and do just fine because they use winter tires.

TL;DR: AWD is a useless marketing scam that is used to make extra money. 95% of people do not need AWD, but they buy it because in many areas 95% of RDXs are only offered with AWD (like DC area, where it snows twice a year). Buy front wheel drive RDX and an extra set of winter tires. You will spend $450 on a set of tires, but you will save around $2000+ total: AWD option + extra gas + extra maintenance over the years. Winter tires will provide stable traction, safety, acceleration and (the most important thing) safe braking. They will extend the life of your OEM tires, places like Costco will mount them for a low price.

I am waiting for 2019 RDX and may actually buy it. If new Acura interior is going to be as good as 2018 Accord, it will be a big win. I just hope they don't make a wide center console which kills the legroom, just like new 2017 Lexus RX - terrible legroom. I also hope RDX will be offered in front wheel drive. I will not buy an AWD car again, unless it is Tesla where AWD just makes sense.
Quote: “AWD is a useless marketing scam that is used to make extra money.” Seriously? Granted, you had a 2014 and its AWD is semi-weak compared to the 2016+ RDX. The AWD was much improved for 2016+ models. I ripped through some nice snowy unpaved roads and hills last winter in my 2016 RDX AWD with OEM tires and it did awesome.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:20 PM
Advanced

Quote: “AWD is a useless marketing scam that is used to make extra money.” Seriously? Granted, you had a 2014 and its AWD is semi-weak compared to the 2016+ RDX. The AWD was much improved for 2016+ models. I ripped through some nice snowy unpaved roads and hills last winter in my 2016 RDX AWD with OEM tires and it did awesome.
You are missing the point. I drove my 2014 RDX from DC to Alaska in November on my OEM tires and I did awesome as well. The point is: AWD is not needed for an everyday driver. RDX is not a serious off-road vehicle, if you live somewhere far in the woods, you are better off buying Toyota Tundra. I spent years in Wisconsin driving front wheel drive Honda Accord with OEM all-season Michelins and I was just fine. Winter tires is just a way better investment compared to AWD. I drove 2016 RDX Tech without AWD, it felt amazing. Light, easy and fast without that extra weight.

I am trying to show another point of view here. It just feels crazy to me that dealers ONLY sell AWD RDX in DC area. If you want to buy front wheel drive RDX, you are better off flying to Texas or Florida. I just see an enormous ignorance of the population that just buy AWD "because it is safer" or whatever else comes to their mind.

Last edited by Stanuwmad; 10-04-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:28 PM
Advanced

The thing that kind of ticks me off is that so many manufacturers are now offering AWD vehicles ONLY. If my memory serves, the Q3 comes in either variant, but the Q5 is AWD only. I think the BMW SUV's are AWD only.

I went with FWD in my RDX, but that's because I'm in L.A. and you're right, the RDX isn't a real off-road vehicle anyway. Didn't make sense for me.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:36 PM
Advanced

The thing that kind of ticks me off is that so many manufacturers are now offering AWD vehicles ONLY. If my memory serves, the Q3 comes in either variant, but the Q5 is AWD only. I think the BMW SUV's are AWD only.

I went with FWD in my RDX, but that's because I'm in L.A. and you're right, the RDX isn't a real off-road vehicle anyway. Didn't make sense for me.
The reality is: 75% of RDXs sold in the US should really be front wheel drive, but it is the opposite. I agree, many SUVs are all-wheel drive only, which is dumb IMO. It is just seriously sad to read online forums where people demand AWD and swear by it. I just don't get it. It feels like people are brainwashed to want AWD. There are just so many more other areas to spend this money that would go towards AWD.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:42 PM
Advanced

Stanuwmad, great post. (However, your statement that "...there is nothing even close in its price range..." is likely to wake the angry dragons again, who just have to point out ad nauseam that "it's not an apples to apples comparison". You might want to don your flame retardant suit.)

Agreed on nearly counts. I pointed out my similar feel that the Q3 was preferable to the Q5 in many areas. If only Audi comes out with an SQ3. Now that would be a consideration.

I finally leased a 2018 RDX, and I love it, although I haven't even taken the time to read the manual, so I haven't dialed in everything I eventually will. I've never had sport paddles before, so I'm enjoying that part of it. I wish the dash instrumentation in front of me were blue or something a little sexier than pretty much white.

I'm actually a recording engineer by trade and haven't taken the time to properly dial in the ELS Sound system. I can only do this by burning a CD of something that I mixed and then adjusting the sound. I know Elliot Scheiner pretty well (ELS), and we engineers typically go for a more "meat and potatoes strength" type of sound, rather than a super hi-fi sound found on many high end home stereo set ups. Not suggesting that one approach is better than the other; just making a comment that different sound systems will strike different people in different ways. I'll comment further once I've taken the time to dial in, however, my viewpoint may be inconsistent with the viewpoints of the masses anyway.

I've been driving a 2005 Acura TL for the last 12 years, so using that as a reference, I like having the 6 speeds of the RDX. Sport mode strikes me quite similarly in both vehicles, although in what little time I've used it on the RDX thus far, I feel that the TL *may* have a little more oomph. That could also be because I haven't much been on the open road with the RDX, and in L.A. traffic, it's not often I get to let the RDX unwind in Sport Mode.

My current plan is to stick with this for two years...once the new one comes out next year, if I like it, I will likely wait a year for it to work its bugs out and get in on the second year of the new model. I agree that Honda is upping the game with the new CR-V and Accord, so hopefully Acura's next swipe at the RDX will be a positive one.
Something I also disliked about RDX audio was ANC system. I think it gave me migraines, I am totally serious. Now that I have a car without any noise cancellation, I feel way better. I know you can turn it off in factory setup menu on newer TLX. I hope the same thing will be an option on the RDX. If not, I will manually unplug it. Again, Honda cars have good sound insulation, I feel like they include noise cancellation because it sounds cool and because other cars have it. So some average Joe would be happy to see it in a laundry list of features.

If you ever see Mr. Scheiner, tell him to use a better amp on the next RDX. I had ELS audio system in my also now gone 2014 TSX Tech, it was AMAZING. Deep sub, clear highs and mids. I was in audio heaven. Oh, 2014 TSX did not have any noise cancellation, so it could be another reason why ELS was better on it.

Last edited by Stanuwmad; 10-04-2017 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:53 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

But.. what is wrong with AWD or any variant of it? Damn, Acura’s SH-AWD is/was awesome and hoping they bring it back for 2019 RDX. In any case, AWD is peace of mind. That little extra grip when needed when the roads go crap.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:57 PM
Advanced

But.. what is wrong with AWD or any variant of it? Damn, Acura’s SH-AWD is/was awesome and hoping they bring it back for 2019 RDX. In any case, AWD is peace of mind. That little extra grip when needed when the roads go crap.
When roads go crap you have winter tires. Way better piece of mind than AWD with stock OEM tires and way cheaper too. Yes, Hybrid SH-AWD is nice, but why is it so desired again? I don't see it.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:08 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stanuwmad
Something I also disliked about RDX audio was ANC system. I think it gave me migraines, I am totally serious. Now that I have a car without any noise cancellation, I feel way better. I know you can turn it off in factory setup menu on newer TLX. I hope the same thing will be an option on the RDX. If not, I will manually unplug it. Again, Honda cars have good sound insulation, I feel like they include noise cancellation because it sounds cool and because other cars have it. So some average Joe would be happy to see it in a laundry list of features.

If you ever see Mr. Scheiner, tell him to use a better amp on the next RDX. I had ELS audio system in my also now gone 2014 TSX Tech, it was AMAZING. Deep sub, clear highs and mids. I was in audio heaven. Oh, 2014 TSX did not have any noise cancellation, so it could be another reason why ELS was better on it.
haha! I didn't even know that I was listening to ANC! hahaha! I'll pay closer attention! (I haven't checked...are you sure it can't be turned off? Not that I even noticed it).

My TL had a great sound system...but again, I have to load up a CD that I mixed to make audio comparisons with the RDX. If I ultimately find the RDX system lacking, I'll let Elliot know that the next one needs to be better! (PS, it could also be the physical shape of your TSX and my TL -both sedans, right? - offers a better possibility for sound.).

Quick Reply: 2019 Acura RDX will be the first Acura to have a full REDESIGN!!! Proto pics page 12