2019 Acura RDX will be the first Acura to have a full REDESIGN!!! Proto pics page 12

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 03:24 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
Watching that video, the trackpad looks very user friendly and intuitive to me. Touch the pad according to the same spot on the screen. Its not like moving a cursor around or rotating the dial left/right like now.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:19 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
The new RDX looks awesome, and I may be interested when my 17 comes off lease.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Here's a pretty good video showing how the new infotainment system works:

The following users liked this post:
Rolf65 (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 09:21 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
One good thing that might result from the touchpad with the small wrist rest pad is it could be a spot to rest your hand since the gear shifter is gone (depending on center console height). I'm a left elbow on the window sill and right hand on the gear shift kinda guy when I'm chillin' when cruising.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:43 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Mr Gold, is it time to trade the 2008 RDX in for the 2019 RDX? It will be interesting once it comes out what the reviews will say when compared to the turbo 1G. Is it faster, does it handle better in Sport + mode, how much better is gas mileage, is the ELS stereo much better? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my FWD 2011, but am tempted to get the SH-AWD you all talk about even though I live in Florida. Problem is of course, I have 51K miles on mine, and I think a long way to go if I am only putting 4K miles on it per year. Sadly, I will have to live through others, as I can't spend $45K on a new vehicle seeing how I just purchased the 2011 four years ago.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:50 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by MTD
Watching that video, the trackpad looks very user friendly and intuitive to me. Touch the pad according to the same spot on the screen. Its not like moving a cursor around or rotating the dial left/right like now.
Glad to see it's not like a mouse. It's more like a remote touch screen.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:07 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am curious, if any of you either has the X3 or is planning to cross shop the new RDX against any of the German competitors, besides value, what else does the RDX 2019 compare to the competitors. More technologically advance?
Old 01-18-2018, 01:02 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hulk369
I am curious, if any of you either has the X3 or is planning to cross shop the new RDX against any of the German competitors, besides value, what else does the RDX 2019 compare to the competitors. More technologically advance?
I currentlu have a 2014 Audi Q5 and will be replacing it this year or early next year. I keep moving cars on and off my list but I'll definitely be looking at the new RDX as well as the new Infiniti Qx50. Maybe the Lincoln Nautilus? Will probably not get a new Audi and not shopping the X3 at all.

-Fletch
cheffip (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 01:23 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Originally Posted by hues10
Mr Gold, is it time to trade the 2008 RDX in for the 2019 RDX? It will be interesting once it comes out what the reviews will say when compared to the turbo 1G. Is it faster, does it handle better in Sport + mode, how much better is gas mileage, is the ELS stereo much better? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my FWD 2011, but am tempted to get the SH-AWD you all talk about even though I live in Florida. Problem is of course, I have 51K miles on mine, and I think a long way to go if I am only putting 4K miles on it per year. Sadly, I will have to live through others, as I can't spend $45K on a new vehicle seeing how I just purchased the 2011 four years ago.
My 08 RDX tech (Hondata, ETS intercooler, Heat Shield gasket, K/N drop-in filter, Eibach springs, Progress RSB) has +146,000 miles; but, it runs perfectly and just as strong as if she had 120,000 less miles on her. The prototype checks all my boxes and a few extra boxes I didn't know I even needed (just waiting to see if I can get that Red with the Ebony interior). I've been a Honda/Acura fan long enough to know not to purchase 1st model years unless I'm going to trade or lease short term. Acura is pretty good at eliminating a lot of bugs by the second model year and the vehicles are almost bulletproof by the MMC. A touch worried with the amount of technology on the RDX. The RDX could have the most tech per price compared to any vehicle in Acura's current line-up. I'm going to wait until I get some solid details of any A-Spec/Type-S/Type-R/sh-sh-awd RDX models first. before putting my 08 RDX out to the stud farm.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
One good thing that might result from the touchpad with the small wrist rest pad is it could be a spot to rest your hand since the gear shifter is gone (depending on center console height). I'm a left elbow on the window sill and right hand on the gear shift kinda guy when I'm chillin' when cruising.
Good call. I really prefer a shifter vs buttons, but this might work too. The touchpad actually might work pretty well since it is not like the Lexus mouse version. Left elbow position is also important. I have a dent in my 07 TL where my elbow fits perfectly. I have test driven cars with the elbow usually too high so I know what you mean.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:54 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
2019 RDX Intro letter to dealers:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qy04gl3yh6...31125.pdf?dl=0
a35tl (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 04:56 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
"wider track (+3 cm), longer wheelbase (+6.3 cm) and shortened front overhang, with wheels pushed to the corner"

It's funny how they don't specify numbers for front overhang reduction, probably just a few mm or they would tell us.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:58 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by quantum7
Good call. I really prefer a shifter vs buttons, but this might work too. The touchpad actually might work pretty well since it is not like the Lexus mouse version. Left elbow position is also important. I have a dent in my 07 TL where my elbow fits perfectly. I have test driven cars with the elbow usually too high so I know what you mean.
OK, my head is spinning here with all this nifty new stuff. Did I miss the part about address-entry into the nav system? Is the screen a touch-screen (with longer reach)? I have never had much success with voice control so that's out. Am I going to have to use the (optional at extra cost) AcuraLink app on my iPhone?

This whole RDX thing presents a dilemma for me. I have finally convinced the spousal unit that we do indeed need a second car (retired but there are still schedule conflicts), so I should either dive in now for another brand, or somehow put up with our one-car life until summer? Oh the anguish of it all. This RDX, in the prototype's red, sure looks like what I need, if I can wait. ("Patience, children, Santa doesn't come for another seven days.")
Old 01-18-2018, 05:03 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura604
Few members here were concerned that the metal and wood, and the 16-way power seat would go the way of the dodo on the production model, but glad to see it will be available! What it doesn't say is if those higher end materials and 16-way power seat will only be available on the top trim, with the the lower trims receiving faux materials and perhaps a 12-way seat.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:53 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

LOL, this is what the sales rep sent to me AFTER she sent me that pdf.

I can take a factory order in your preference of colour combo, subject to pricing, terms and specs once they arrive, if you wish to be one of the first to take delivery? I will keep you posted as we go. This is going to knock it out of the ballpark for us, I believe?

Kind regards,
Old 01-18-2018, 06:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Thumbs up RoadShow

Old 01-18-2018, 06:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
This is literally EXACTLY what I was thinking about. I was disappointed that I would have nowhere to put my hand while driving but that little pad/handle thing looks like a good compromise. I am still not a fan of the buttons but I think I would be able to compromise around it.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:51 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hulk369
I've been cross shopping with the X3, Q5 and some others. One of the biggest advantages this new RDX should have is comfy seats. The german CUV's have small, hard seats up front, no matter what options you select. The german base models don't have perforations in the leather either, so the seats are hot in the summer unless you pay $$$ for ventilated seats. The current gen RDX also feels more roomy inside, which I would think would translate to the new one as well.

The tech in both the new X3 and Q5 is state-of-the-art, but only the BMW models have touchscreen as an input method, which in my book is an advantage (Love my 3G TL touchscreen). I was wishing that Acura would provide touch as an optional method too but it looks not to be the case. Touchscreens become key if you're using Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.

Overall though, this new gen RDX should be much more comparable to the "premium" brands, especially if the driving dynamics are as good as the exterior looks.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:54 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
Few members here were concerned that the metal and wood, and the 16-way power seat would go the way of the dodo on the production model, but glad to see it will be available! What it doesn't say is if those higher end materials and 16-way power seat will only be available on the top trim, with the the lower trims receiving faux materials and perhaps a 12-way seat.
Seems unlikely based on the current gen version that ventilated Nappa seats would be standard unless they simply want to drive the car upmarket. They would be missing out on base model buyers. But who knows the current Acura strategy? We will know soon enough when order guides emerge.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by chickdr
Seems unlikely based on the current gen version that ventilated Nappa seats would be standard unless they simply want to drive the car upmarket. They would be missing out on base model buyers. But who knows the current Acura strategy? We will know soon enough when order guides emerge.
Would it be fair to expect all those options on the base model? You can’t even get 16 way seats on the Q5 (or Q7 IIRC). I also would not be surprised to see the price increase by a few thousand because IMHO the elite/advance model finally makes sense given the possible options. Now what I am really hoping for is that Acura will not split everything up into ala carte options. Time will tell.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Would it be fair to expect all those options on the base model? You can’t even get 16 way seats on the Q5 (or Q7 IIRC). I also would not be surprised to see the price increase by a few thousand because IMHO the elite/advance model finally makes sense given the possible options. Now what I am really hoping for is that Acura will not split everything up into ala carte options. Time will tell.
I don't think you'll ever see a la carte from Honda/Acura. It's too costly from a manufacturing perspective. I'm not happy about it, but I can understand it. What I can't understand is their inflexibility when it comes to color combinations. You shouldn't be forced to take whatever interior color happens to be paired with your preferred exterior color, or vice versa. Especially in a so-called luxury brand.
RDX10 (01-20-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 08:08 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nut854
I've been cross shopping with the X3, Q5 and some others. One of the biggest advantages this new RDX should have is comfy seats. The german CUV's have small, hard seats up front, no matter what options you select. The german base models don't have perforations in the leather either, so the seats are hot in the summer unless you pay $$$ for ventilated seats. The current gen RDX also feels more roomy inside, which I would think would translate to the new one as well.

The tech in both the new X3 and Q5 is state-of-the-art, but only the BMW models have touchscreen as an input method, which in my book is an advantage (Love my 3G TL touchscreen). I was wishing that Acura would provide touch as an optional method too but it looks not to be the case. Touchscreens become key if you're using Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.

Overall though, this new gen RDX should be much more comparable to the "premium" brands, especially if the driving dynamics are as good as the exterior looks.
I do like how the german cars drive, but I agree, they are hard and look cheap specially for the price. I also don't think I need a hard ride for a daily, I need more comfort and luxury than sport, but it also is sporty when you put into sport or sport+ thats an added advantage. Also the price and maintenance of german cars are so high specially once the warranty is over.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:47 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
At the moment if the new RDX remain the same +/-5% for the production mode (we all know that the tires and side mirrors and a few other items won't appear in prod model.) It's better than any SUV in the market in this segment. It offers everything that consumers need plus very beautiful design, premium material and decent features. There is no way Acura will be able to make everyone happy...but the RDX is definitely a great product coming from Acura brand in a long time. Time to cheer and appreciate
jyrtl (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 09:18 AM
MTD
Racer

I'll be interested to see how the Canadian versions differ from the US. We sometimes have more options and more models to choose from. Also, A-Spec at launch, nice.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:31 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
At the moment if the new RDX remain the same +/-5% for the production mode (we all know that the tires and side mirrors and a few other items won't appear in prod model.) It's better than any SUV in the market in this segment. It offers everything that consumers need plus very beautiful design, premium material and decent features. There is no way Acura will be able to make everyone happy...but the RDX is definitely a great product coming from Acura brand in a long time. Time to cheer and appreciate
The good news is that this is *the* hot segment right now and they seem to have both acknowledged it and answered the bell by responding with something that's, thus far, been very well received. Assuming the production model is indeed 95% of this that bodes well for the next gen TLX.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:19 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

While this 2019 is hot hot hot... trying to justify a trade in will be difficult. My 2017 Elite is completely paid off, just gas and servicings to do on it and insurance.

No matter what the amount, I'm not really wanting any more car payments.... and knowing acura dealers, they will lowball the trade value.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 236 Posts
Having just seen the 2019 RDX on the Acura site, I am in luck having bought my 2017.

The things I do not like about it...at all...
  • the body panels behind the rear side windows coming together (the chrome and painted panels). If that wasn't an issue, I would have bought an RX350 which looks like s**t.
  • the excess cookie cutter panels under the headlights. Its tough enough to clean the ones around my fog lights.
  • the "silly" looks-like-an-add-on nav/info screen, or I would have bought an X3 or Q5.
  • the panoramic sunroof.
  • the excess chrome around the front bumper. No thanks; why I do not own certain brands of motorcycles...I hate chrome.
  • and of course the engine or I would have bought the Macan or X3.
Not that I would trade. I keep my cars till they die, as in 15 years. But it is always nice to get exactly what I wanted, which is why I bought the 2nd gen RDX.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by HotRodW
I don't think you'll ever see a la carte from Honda/Acura. It's too costly from a manufacturing perspective. I'm not happy about it, but I can understand it. What I can't understand is their inflexibility when it comes to color combinations. You shouldn't be forced to take whatever interior color happens to be paired with your preferred exterior color, or vice versa. Especially in a so-called luxury brand.
Yeah you are totally correct. I highly doubt Acura would go that route especially given their size. In terms of the color options, I hate when ANY manufacturer limits exterior and interior color choices based on one or the other. I understand your gripes about Acura doing it, but even lexus limits color choices like that. At least in Canada we tend to get luckier (i.e white on black) but it’s still ridiculous.

Originally Posted by MTD
I'll be interested to see how the Canadian versions differ from the US. We sometimes have more options and more models to choose from. Also, A-Spec at launch, nice.
Yup, and one of the reasons I have a lot of love for Acura and Honda in the Canadian market. In Canada (can’t tell if you’re from here) most car companies tend to give us shit choices compared to the U.S market but Acura really cares about out market and we get some very nice choices like TLX Elite A-spec or even a 4 cylinder TLX A-Spec, we were first to get real wood on the MDX and RLX, as well as first to get power foldingmirrors and heated rear seats....etc. So I really appreciate that.
HotRodW (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 07:30 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Tech
Having just seen the 2019 RDX on the Acura site, I am in luck having bought my 2017.

• the body panels behind the rear side windows coming together (the chrome and painted panels). If that wasn't an issue, I would have bought an RX350 which looks like s**t.
  • the excess cookie cutter panels under the headlights. Its tough enough to clean the ones around my fog lights.
  • the "silly" looks-like-an-add-on nav/info screen, or I would have bought an X3 or Q5.
  • the panoramic sunroof.
  • the excess chrome around the front bumper. No thanks; why I do not own certain brands of motorcycles...I hate chrome.
Not that I would trade. I keep my cars till they die, as in 15 years. But it is always nice to get exactly what I wanted, which is why I bought the 2nd gen RDX.
All your points are valid but I guess Acura can’t just make cars for 10% of the market and the + -90% of the market really liked the new RDX. I think it’s a gem if the pricing remains around the same. This is a home run even before it’s official release.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:32 PM
AZ Community Team

Yeah you are totally correct. I highly doubt Acura would go that route especially given their size. In terms of the color options, I hate when ANY manufacturer limits exterior and interior color choices based on one or the other. I understand your gripes about Acura doing it, but even lexus limits color choices like that. At least in Canada we tend to get luckier (i.e white on black) but it’s still ridiculous.

Yup, and one of the reasons I have a lot of love for Acura and Honda in the Canadian market. In Canada (can’t tell if you’re from here) most car companies tend to give us shit choices compared to the U.S market but Acura really cares about out market and we get some very nice choices like TLX Elite A-spec or even a 4 cylinder TLX A-Spec, we were first to get real wood on the MDX and RLX, as well as first to get power foldingmirrors and heated rear seats....etc. So I really appreciate that.
Acura offers a lot more to the CDN market and sells almost the same as Lexus and 40% more than Infiniti. All I can say the US and CDN markets aren’t the same for Acura.
RDX10 (01-20-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 07:37 PM
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Tech

• the panoramic sunroof.
To each their own, but...

In cognitive science, choice-supportive bias or post-purchase rationalization is the tendency to retroactively ascribe positive attributes to an option one has selected. It is a cognitive bias. For example, if a person chooses option A instead of option B, they are likely to ignore or downplay the faults of option A while amplifying those of option B. Conversely, they are also likely to notice and amplify the advantages of option A and not notice or de-emphasize those of option B

I personally think that the bumpers may be toned down some more along with the chrome when it hits production. Or perhaps the ASPEC model will have blacked out trimmings
The following 3 users liked this post by whiteGSR:
a35tl (01-20-2018), TacoBello (01-20-2018), Tech (01-20-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 08:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Acura offers a lot more to the CDN market and sells almost the same as Lexus and 40% more than Infiniti. All I can say the US and CDN markets aren’t the same for Acura.
I really don’t have a solid explanation as to why this is the case honestly. Possibly because Acura has a lot of AWD models (RDX and MDX come standard with AWD) and Canadians tend to love that. Though I have to say in my personal experience people here don’t consider Acura a luxury brand, moreso equivalent to other mainstream brands. But that’s just my experience.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:38 PM
MTD
Racer

Im from Ontario. My A-Spec Elite is my current ride, but the wife wants to trade her MDX in for this new RDX. Honda and Acuras are very popular cars here, so maybe Honda realizes this and therefore offers us more variants. Doing some price comparisons, Acuras are usually much cheaper then some of their Euro counterparts too. For what I paid for my loaded TLX, only a mid model 3-series would have been comparable. Im very good friends with y local Acura sales Manager, so I'll be sure to post any info he has for me as soon as I can get it.
RDX10 (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 03:56 AM
jyrtl

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
While this 2019 is hot hot hot... trying to justify a trade in will be difficult. My 2017 Elite is completely paid off, just gas and servicings to do on it and insurance.

No matter what the amount, I'm not really wanting any more car payments.... and knowing acura dealers, they will lowball the trade value.
don't do it the prototype of the tlx was hot and aggressive in 2014 with all the great bulges. unless the rdx looks that good in the wild but wait 3 to 4 months later which I should have done to get a better deal. your car looks great already
Old 01-20-2018, 04:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MTD
Im from Ontario. My A-Spec Elite is my current ride, but the wife wants to trade her MDX in for this new RDX. Honda and Acuras are very popular cars here, so maybe Honda realizes this and therefore offers us more variants. Doing some price comparisons, Acuras are usually much cheaper then some of their Euro counterparts too. For what I paid for my loaded TLX, only a mid model 3-series would have been comparable. Im very good friends with y local Acura sales Manager, so I'll be sure to post any info he has for me as soon as I can get it.
Haha I see you are already benefiting from our superior Canadian Acura options with that A-Spec Elite lol. I agree that Hondas and Acuras are very popular here. You are most likely right that it is the price advantage over other premium/luxury options. The MDX for example starts at 50k and tops out at 75k while offering a lot of great standard features, the Q7 starts at 70kish and I believe comes with vinyl and a 4 cylinder. So there absolutely is a value proposition. Hell I see like 10 RDX’s in a 20 minute drive so people do love them here. Just a little aside, I can’t wait to see the next generation MDX, TLX, and RLX if this RDX is any indication of things to come. Especially since the MDX sits at the top of the range next to the RLX so it should see even cooler tech and features than this RDX (assuming a lot of it goes through).
Old 01-20-2018, 07:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
Did I read press release correctly that new RDX will be stiffer ride than 2nd gen?
that would be really cool, that’s why I am still driving 1st gen RDX, can’t stand soft rides
Old 01-20-2018, 09:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
Did I read press release correctly that new RDX will be stiffer ride than 2nd gen?
that would be really cool, that’s why I am still driving 1st gen RDX, can’t stand soft rides
You might prefer a stiffer ride, but the general public does not. Adaptable dampers are the key to satisfying everyone. Assuming they are in fact offered, it won't surprise me if you'll need to step up to a higher trim level to get them. I'm quite certain models without them will be geared toward comfort.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
Aspec should be a bit stiffer but not by much. But you are the small minority who wants a rough ride.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx
Aspec should be a bit stiffer but not by much. But you are the small minority who wants a rough ride.
Depends how stiff. Drivers of upscale vehicles often want to feel connected to the road, but not too connected.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
You might prefer a stiffer ride, but the general public does not. Adaptable dampers are the key to satisfying everyone. Assuming they are in fact offered, it won't surprise me if you'll need to step up to a higher trim level to get them. I'm quite certain models without them will be geared toward comfort.
Adaptive dampers will be offered, they were mentioned in the press release. But they might be offered only in top trim package such as Advance, which could make it expensive. This is what it said:“The all-new, third generation RDX has been reengineered on a new, Acura-exclusive platform featuring a lighter and dramatically stiffened body“This sounds like overall tighter suspension than current generation.

Quick Reply: 2019 Acura RDX will be the first Acura to have a full REDESIGN!!! Proto pics page 12