Annoying door warning beep...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 07:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Annoying door warning beep...

On my '16 RDX, there is a beeping noise EVERY time I open the drivers door, whether from inside the vehicle or outside. None of the other doors turn on this beep where their doors are opened. I've looked in the manual, but can't find anything about this warning. Is there a way to disable it short of just cutting the wire.
The following users liked this post:
Nan (11-07-2023)
Old 05-07-2017, 08:44 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
I also have a 2016 RDX, but I don't think I have heard the type of beep you are describing. Perhaps you could provide a better description?

Is the beep coming from inside the vehicle, or is it from outside the vehicle (similar to the beep that occurs when you press the lock button on the door handle)

Is it a single beep, or is it two or more beeps?

Does it only occur when you open a locked door (i.e. when you touch the backside of the handle to enter) or does it also beep as well as when the door is already unlocked?
Old 05-08-2017, 05:12 AM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
I also have a 2016 RDX, but I don't think I have heard the type of beep you are describing. Perhaps you could provide a better description?

Is the beep coming from inside the vehicle, or is it from outside the vehicle (similar to the beep that occurs when you press the lock button on the door handle)

Is it a single beep, or is it two or more beeps?

Does it only occur when you open a locked door (i.e. when you touch the backside of the handle to enter) or does it also beep as well as when the door is already unlocked?
I too have a 2016 RDX. The vehicle does make lots of beeps regarding to what you’re doing. But, as RDX-Rick asks, can you provide a better description?

With that said, the RDX does have a proximity sensor and will make a bunch of rapid multiple beeps if you exit the car with the key fob in your pocket, close the door, and the car is still running. Maybe that’s what you’re talking about? If so, it’s normal.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:26 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX
I too have a 2016 RDX. The vehicle does make lots of beeps regarding to what you’re doing. But, as RDX-Rick asks, can you provide a better description?

With that said, the RDX does have a proximity sensor and will make a bunch of rapid multiple beeps if you exit the car with the key fob in your pocket, close the door, and the car is still running. Maybe that’s what you’re talking about? If so, it’s normal.
My wife puts her purse in the trunk of the TLX when we go to the gym. Slams the lid, trunk pops open. Slams harder, lid pops open. After 5 or 6 times I'll remind her to take the car key out of her purse. Very entertaining.

On the RDX you can hear a clunk when the car immediately unlocks itself after you lock it if the driver's key is still inside.

As to the problem at hand, even with all the beeps and warnings on our Advance model, we hear no beeps. Maybe try another setting on the steering wheel, the Info button, way down in the menus.

Last edited by CanTex; 05-08-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:56 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
There is a small beep when you unlock the car (central locking and unlocking) but that is present regardless of opening the driver or passenger door / or remote control. Is that what you are referring to or is it something else.
But this doesn't happen if the car is already unlocked and you open the driver door.
There is a constant chime in other makes / models such as Mercedes when you open the driver door every single time (regardless of if it's locked or unlocked), but that is by design. I haven't noticed it in my RDX.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:39 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Small beeps once after unlocking and opening the door also in my old 2006 Odyssey Touring, so I guess it's factory setting that you cannot cancel...
Old 05-08-2017, 02:52 PM
Intermediate

Beep beep beep

The beeping noice (chime?) is continuous once the driver's door is opened, either from an locked or unlocked state. It doesn't stop until the door is fully closed. As I already stated, none of the other doors make this sound. The noise seems to be coming from behind the driver's instrument panel which probably doesn't mean anything other than that's where the noise is generated.

The open door beeps whether the key is in my pocket or in the house. I guess I'll have to take a trip down to my local Acura dealer and see if this is normal. However, judging from some of the replies above, other RDX's don't make this sound when the door is opened.
Nan (11-07-2023)
Old 05-08-2017, 05:46 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by Starflyer
The beeping noice (chime?) is continuous once the driver's door is opened, either from an locked or unlocked state. It doesn't stop until the door is fully closed. As I already stated, none of the other doors make this sound. The noise seems to be coming from behind the driver's instrument panel which probably doesn't mean anything other than that's where the noise is generated.

The open door beeps whether the key is in my pocket or in the house. I guess I'll have to take a trip down to my local Acura dealer and see if this is normal. However, judging from some of the replies above, other RDX's don't make this sound when the door is opened.
I see what you mean. This happens only when you open the door while the ignition is in accessory mode. This is completely normal as I understand. Generally used to help drivers to remember to turn the ignition off as the car "thinks" you are trying to leave without turning the car fully off when opening driver door. I assume all RDXs make this sound in that particular situation.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Starflyer

If you leave the key inside the car, it won't make that sound. But then someone can drive off with your car...
Old 05-09-2017, 07:00 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by rockyboy
If you leave the key inside the car, it won't make that sound. But then someone can drive off with your car...
Rockyboy. I know what you mean, but he is not talking about that very loud beep which happens after alll the doors are closed, ignition is on,!but keys are outside....
The beep which the OP is talking about happens when the ignition is in accessory mode and driver door is open (regardless of the position of the key). This chime is continuous and will stop only when the driver door is closed. You can check it on your RDX right now if you can.
p.s. I don't find this chime annoying but very well understand if it bothers kids / babies sleeping inside the car.
Nan (11-07-2023)
Old 05-10-2017, 07:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
I see. I never leave my car door open for that long so it never bothers me
Old 05-10-2017, 08:12 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

This chime / beep is so unobtrusive that only the OP has even noticed it to be annoying.so far. Just shut the driver door and save the visit to your dealer. What else can I say.?
Old 06-20-2017, 02:41 PM
Intermediate

OK, stupid me! I finally discovered what is causing the BEEP (and it is loud). And should be. From the REAL owner's manual which I had to request after buying the vehicle new in '15. Page 15 in the manual.

"Why does the beeper sound when I open the door?"

Answer, The beeper sounds when:

The exterior lights are left on OR
The power mode is in ACCESSORY.

So, sometime in the last few months or perhaps the last year, I inadvertently turned the headlight switch from auto to on and have been driving that way ever since the beeping started. Once again, the beeping only occured with the driver's door open so no beeping while driving. In this condition back in the ole days, this would guaranted a dead battery. However, Accura automatically turns the headlights off after a few minutes when the engine is off.

I'm writing it all off to "senioritis". Thanks for all the inputs...
Old 06-20-2017, 03:14 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
LOL - I was just going to "chime" in and say that our 2016 RDX Advance doesn't seem to make the same noise as being described unless OP has the headlights set to On. Glad you got it sorted out.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:55 PM
Intermediate

Smile

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
LOL - I was just going to "chime" in and say that our 2016 RDX Advance doesn't seem to make the same noise as being described unless OP has the headlights set to On. Glad you got it sorted out.
Could be worse if I went into my local Acura dealer and was told what causes the beeping. If that happened, about the only thing I could have do to save face would be to say "Just checking to see if you knew".

I don't think I've own a vehicle since '99 that didn't have "auto" headlights" and that include a Pontiac, Durango, Jeep, VW, Mini, Ford Flex, Range Rover, and the Acura. YES, I admit I trade in too often. AFAIK, the Acura looks the same in the day with the driving iighs on as it does at night on low beam.