2016 RDX Tech package worth it?

Old 12-30-2015, 09:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
2016 RDX Tech package worth it?

Hey guys,

There are a lot of threads about the value of the tech package for the 2013-2015, however, now that the 2016 comes standard with HIDs (an absolutely must IMO), I am hard pressed to figure out if the tech package is still worth it. I plan on leasing, then maybe buying at the end of the lease. I only want the navi/dual screen component of the tech package, but it will effectively cost me $50/mo (tech package = $50/mo premium for an apples to apples lease, zero down, and a $2k higher buy-out price)

We sat in both the base and tech. The passenger seat height in the base is not an issue. All we really want are HIDs, back up camera, power liftgate and navigation. I actually do not want the BLIS system, as it is an absolute annoyance in NY/NJ traffic. If we got the tech, i would actually turn off the BLIS. Although, the screen setup on the Base model is bothersome - feels like a CRV Zipcar.

So how good is the navi? Is it $50/mo good? I could get a new Garmin every 2 months for that. I suppose if the feedback is if people with the 2016 navi system still find themselves using Google Maps on their smartphone, then I think I would have my answer...go base...

Any pics/ideas of Garmin setups? Like a stand mounted garmin that would rest inside of the "ashtray" cubby in front of the shifter?

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 12-30-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:30 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Well, this is a situation where you "think" you don't want something that you've never had. But, like many features on newer cars, once you've had a car with a certain feature, you'll never buy another without it.

I can still remember my first automatic transmission car. And, the first one with cruise control. And, the first one with some kind of audio beyond AM radio. And, my first one with electric adjustable outside mirrors. And, my first one with a rear-view mirror that dimmed. And, my first one with a compass. And, my first one with emergency flashers.

I wouldn't think of buying a car without those features, but I surely didn't appreciate their value until I "lived" with the for a while.

The Tech and Safety packages on the RDX are ABSOLUTE BARGAINS.

I didn't expect lane keeping would be important to me either. I thought "keyless" entry and start were a solution looking for a problem. I thought I could live without a backup camera. I thought adaptive cruise was a stupid idea. I thought automatic braking couldn't possibly have any value. But, now, after living with these features for six months, I absolutely could not be without them. The back-up camera is WONDERFUL!!! The adaptive cruise "sees" idiots before I do. The automatic braking reacts to someone doing something stupid quicker than I can. And, the LKAS holds the car against the crown of the road so I no longer have sore arms after driving long distances.

The sum of all the features on the RDX Advanced results in a driving experience that's very different -- and much improved -- from older technologies. And, let me say it again, these things come at an absolute bargain price.

You'll keep a Honda for ten years (at least). Your amortization thinking ought to be done with that horizon in mind. You'll like the car more. You'll keep it longer. You'll be safer. Any addition cost (which is minimal on Hondas) will not be felt over this ten year period. But, the value of these features will be appreciated every, single day that you own the car. If you amortize the 4K$ over 10 years, it works out to $400 per year. If some part of that tech saves you from a close encounter of the sheet-metal variety over that time, it will save you many times what it cost. It will save wear and tear on your body. It will enhance your peace of mind (which is priceless, BTW). Your insurance company will reward you.

Ironically, relative to your question, the Nav is one of the clunkiest features of the tech array. You can read it all over the web -- your phone does a way better job of navigation than does the current generation of Honda Nav.

In my view, a person is penny wise and pound foolish to get any Acura without all of the tech.

The price of the tech does not add significantly to the price of the total package. If you're above your head on the price of the car, you can either suck it up or get a four banger from Honda, Nissan, Mazda, or Subaru. Frankly, buying any car on time/credit is a very bad idea in terms of your financial future. But, if you've got to do that, at least get a car that you'll keep so you don't have to go through this again for another decade.

Last edited by Desert Ridge; 12-30-2015 at 11:45 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Desert Ridge:
5 Acuras (12-31-2015), Comfy (12-31-2015), Rekstrom (01-02-2016), The Dark Knight (12-30-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 12:57 PM
Safety Car

Really good write up.

I wholeheartedly agree. It is actually partially why I am avoiding diving into such an array of additional features. Once you get things that you never had before, you / the wife will want them forever ...and god forbid you get a euro down the road...and get accustomed to all of these tech features...ouch...kinda setting yourself up for disappointment, unless you continue to go with value-friendly tech packages offered by acura and a handful of others.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 12-30-2015 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:27 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
We have the 2016 Advance. It took me 1 day to turn off the BLIS / Lane departure as I thought they were nothing more than a PITA. I like the backup camera and the sensors telling you that you're getting close to an object (although I could do without the sensors), but I don't use much else. When we travel we usually fly and rent a car, then we use the nav on the iPhone. We tried the nav here one time in an area we were not real familiar with and on the trip to and on the return trip from a restaurant, the nav tried to turn us into a retention pond. The pond was about 30 feet from the road. Had it been dark we'd have gone right into the water if we listened to the nav.
The following users liked this post:
The Dark Knight (12-30-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 01:50 PM
Safety Car

^^ thanks

So do you regret getting the Advance trim level?
Old 12-30-2015, 02:02 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I would go with Tech. It's better to have it there then to find a way to add it on later (I know you probably don't want them). I have a 2016 MDX SH-AWD Advance and love the BLIS. Especially in the city in the Bay Area where traffic jams occurs daily, the system saved me multiple times (BLIS, CMBS, LKAS, Sensors front and back). The systems also saved me from my long road trip from OH to CA so pretty happy with Acura and its technologies.

The navigation I'm used to it especially coming from a TL SH-AWD Tech. Nothing too exciting but it's good to have if the phone doesn't get a signal or the Garmin just flat out dies.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
^^ thanks

So do you regret getting the Advance trim level?

My wife chose this car for a 60th birthday present. I gave no input. With that said, if I was going to participate in what we bought this would not have been a vehicle that I would have considered
Old 12-30-2015, 08:26 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The LED headlights are standard and are worth every penny. As for the tech package, the screen set up on the base was small as we were going from a 2014 Accord which has a comparable screen to the tech. The BLIS is nice as well as the rear cross traffic alert. I think the tech is worth it.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:14 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JDMMonkeyTuning
The LED headlights are standard and are worth every penny. As for the tech package, the screen set up on the base was small as we were going from a 2014 Accord which has a comparable screen to the tech. The BLIS is nice as well as the rear cross traffic alert. I think the tech is worth it.
The Rear Cross Traffic Alert is a must in a SUV or any car! I was surprise how much I use this when large diesel trucks block my view as I'm backing out. I still do the normal turn your head back and slowly back out. However, there are cars that rush through the parking no matter how slow you back out.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:24 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I actually found that the Tech package was right in my 'sweet spot'. The Tech package contained everything I wanted. The Advance package contained nothing I felt I had to have.

I quickly fell in love with the Blind Spot Information System and Read Cross Traffic Monitor. I don't think I could live without them now.

The Voice Recognition function greatly reduces the workload of entering addresses into the Nav.

The Rear Camera With Guidelines makes backing out of a tight space a LOT easier.

Regarding the Nav: There is some controversy going on in a couple other threads about the Nav, but I an VERY pleased with it. I came out of a Mercedes-Benz E350 (with nav) and also use an iPhone. To me, the RDX Tech Nav is head and shoulders above anything else I've used. I really like that I can just SAY an address instead of being heads-down in the controls. I love the turn-by turn directions, both on the screen and the voice prompts. There are probably better nav systems out there but this one is clearly the best I've used. The voice command and intuitive controls really minimize the amount of time I have to take my eyes off the road.

Last edited by dbarnhart; 12-31-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:04 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A few features not yet mentioned if comparing straight Base (not Base w/ AcuraWatch) to Tech:

- Leather vs. leatherette (vinyl) seats
- 10 speaker ELS audio vs 7 speaker Acura audio
- Acuralink Next Gen

Add that with Blind Spot and Rear Cross Traffic Monitor, and the $50/month seems well worth it. I know you mentioned that you wouldn't use BSI, but the Rear Cross Traffic Monitor is amazing.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
I personally think you should go with whatever you can afford. If you can afford the more expensive model, get it. Many options you thought were luxuries or were stupid will become favorites. If you plan to keep it after the lease, resale will be much better on the higher trims vs base.

I personally thought heated steering wheel and cooled seats were a gimmick, but good god when it gets below minus 10, I extremely appreciated having a heated wheel. The cooled seats I found were amazing for when my back got sweaty late at night. Smart key is amazing, period.

Now more back on topic, you may learn that you love the blind spot monitors, and rear cross traffic alert is very nice. Even if the navi sucks, it looks nice in the dash and personally the 10 speaker sound system is much better than the crappy 7 speaker setup. For an extra $50 a month, you would do yourself a huge favour down the road
Old 12-31-2015, 02:50 PM
Racer

I agree with you RDX10. I think my favorite thing in our RDX is the stereo. It's the best I've had in a car. Our advance didn't come with a heated steering wheel. We had an Altima that had that and although I never used it my wife did like it and misses it. I think the key is to see compare what you want and what you need to determine what to buy (or lease).
Old 12-31-2015, 04:51 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
I personally think you should go with whatever you can afford. If you can afford the more expensive model, get it. Many options you thought were luxuries or were stupid will become favorites. If you plan to keep it after the lease, resale will be much better on the higher trims vs base.

I personally thought heated steering wheel and cooled seats were a gimmick, but good god when it gets below minus 10, I extremely appreciated having a heated wheel. The cooled seats I found were amazing for when my back got sweaty late at night. Smart key is amazing, period.

Now more back on topic, you may learn that you love the blind spot monitors, and rear cross traffic alert is very nice. Even if the navi sucks, it looks nice in the dash and personally the 10 speaker sound system is much better than the crappy 7 speaker setup. For an extra $50 a month, you would do yourself a huge favour down the road
What year/trim do you have that it came with a heated steering wheel?!
Old 01-01-2016, 05:24 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Ridge
Well, this is a situation where you "think" you don't want something that you've never had. But, like many features on newer cars, once you've had a car with a certain feature, you'll never buy another without it.

I can still remember my first automatic transmission car. And, the first one with cruise control. And, the first one with some kind of audio beyond AM radio. And, my first one with electric adjustable outside mirrors. And, my first one with a rear-view mirror that dimmed. And, my first one with a compass. And, my first one with emergency flashers.

I wouldn't think of buying a car without those features, but I surely didn't appreciate their value until I "lived" with the for a while.

The Tech and Safety packages on the RDX are ABSOLUTE BARGAINS.

I didn't expect lane keeping would be important to me either. I thought "keyless" entry and start were a solution looking for a problem. I thought I could live without a backup camera. I thought adaptive cruise was a stupid idea. I thought automatic braking couldn't possibly have any value. But, now, after living with these features for six months, I absolutely could not be without them. The back-up camera is WONDERFUL!!! The adaptive cruise "sees" idiots before I do. The automatic braking reacts to someone doing something stupid quicker than I can. And, the LKAS holds the car against the crown of the road so I no longer have sore arms after driving long distances.

The sum of all the features on the RDX Advanced results in a driving experience that's very different -- and much improved -- from older technologies. And, let me say it again, these things come at an absolute bargain price.

You'll keep a Honda for ten years (at least). Your amortization thinking ought to be done with that horizon in mind. You'll like the car more. You'll keep it longer. You'll be safer. Any addition cost (which is minimal on Hondas) will not be felt over this ten year period. But, the value of these features will be appreciated every, single day that you own the car. If you amortize the 4K$ over 10 years, it works out to $400 per year. If some part of that tech saves you from a close encounter of the sheet-metal variety over that time, it will save you many times what it cost. It will save wear and tear on your body. It will enhance your peace of mind (which is priceless, BTW). Your insurance company will reward you.

Ironically, relative to your question, the Nav is one of the clunkiest features of the tech array. You can read it all over the web -- your phone does a way better job of navigation than does the current generation of Honda Nav.

In my view, a person is penny wise and pound foolish to get any Acura without all of the tech.

The price of the tech does not add significantly to the price of the total package. If you're above your head on the price of the car, you can either suck it up or get a four banger from Honda, Nissan, Mazda, or Subaru. Frankly, buying any car on time/credit is a very bad idea in terms of your financial future. But, if you've got to do that, at least get a car that you'll keep so you don't have to go through this again for another decade.
Excellent thread by OP.
Awesome reply by desert ridge. "Thumbsup".
DaBlues5 (02-26-2021)
Old 01-02-2016, 10:58 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Value

I agree with Desert Ridge. I have come to really appreciate features I used to do without. I'm not a huge fan of the nanny features, as I pay attention when I drive, but the tech package is great. And I agree that if it just about Nav, get a Garmin. But I spend a lot of time commuting and it is nice that my car is a pleasant place to spend two hours a day. The ELS stereo and Sirius XM are great.

Remember that if you keep the car 10 years, the gee whiz stuff today will seem out of date in 2025. I still think a lot of features you think are superfluous will be looked at commonly as necessities in that time.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:43 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
My thinking is -- if you're going to get a "luxury" car, but not get the "luxury" features, what's the point? You can get a moderately equipped CRV for a lot less and accomplish the same thing.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:43 AM
Safety Car

Thanks guys. Probably leaning on a base. Based on the responses, it sounds like the navi isnt amazing. Most of the other features are more safety luxuries. Although the ELS system sounds very tempting.

We will keep the car in the drive-way M-F while we walk to the train station. That means the car will be mostly limited to weekend driving (let's say 10x a month). Assuming we use navi half the time, that's 5x a month, for a cost of $50/mo. That's like if the car had a vending machine slot, you need to insert a $10 bill every time you use the navi. Which could be worth it, but not if we are still using our smartphones as a substitute (based on other's reactions).

On the other hand, if you put enough routine miles on the car, then all of these comforts seem much more appealing. If our work/commute situation changes, i.e. the car needs to be used daily, then yes, I think we will go tech package.

But based on the above rationale, i.e. cost of car per use, it kind of begs the question as to why get a luxury car at all.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 01-04-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:11 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Thanks guys. Probably leaning on a base. Based on the responses, it sounds like the navi isnt amazing. Most of the other features are more safety luxuries. Although the ELS system sounds very tempting.

We will keep the car in the drive-way M-F while we walk to the train station. That means the car will be mostly limited to weekend driving (let's say 10x a month). Assuming we use navi half the time, that's 5x a month, for a cost of $50/mo. That's like if the car had a vending machine slot, you need to insert a $10 bill every time you use the navi. Which could be worth it, but not if we are still using our smartphones as a substitute (based on other's reactions).

On the other hand, if you put enough routine miles on the car, then all of these comforts seem much more appealing. If our work/commute situation changes, i.e. the car needs to be used daily, then yes, I think we will go tech package.

But based on the above rationale, i.e. cost of car per use, it kind of begs the question as to why get a luxury car at all.
A Yugo might be a better choice.

Seriously though, you may want to consider if a RDX really is a good choice. While a car never is a good fiscal choice, using a car like an RDX as a short distance commuter car that sits in a lot all day long is something you really need to think twice about. If you are looking for a SUV then you'd be better off with a CR-V or a used RDX. The electronic nannies make the 2016 and without those features it isn't much different from earlier models.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:00 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Forget about RDX, You make it sound like even owning any car as less desirable.
Seriously you do not even start or move the car on Monday to Fridays? Are your work hours that long? Do you ever need to go out on days other than weekends?
Just kidding. You need to take a long vacation though
Your analogy about coin slot vending machine is a bit flawed. You need to take into consideration the depreciation as well. Then you'll see that simply keeping the car in your drive way a week would cost you over a hundred dollars. May be around twenty dollars everyday whether you drive it or not .

Last edited by Comfy; 01-04-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:08 PM
Safety Car

^^

Yup. We are moving to the burbs; and currently house shopping. Looking for homes in walking distance to a station, as there is a long waiting list to get parking at the station (1+ yr), and we would both commute via foot to the train. Figure we would be gone from 7am to 8-10pm daily. The RDX would literally sit in the driveway M-F, with the occasional late night errand. Otherwise, it would be for weekend use. Wife may change offices to the burbs nearby, so the RDX would step up to her commuter car. Otherwise, for the foreseeable future, car would sit at home during the week. It may be 5,000 miles/yr for the first year, but 15,000 miles/yr in the later years. We could potentially use all of our miles, or if few miles used we could pocket a few grand off our buyout sale; or we could buyout ourselves and keep the car.

The lease is about $390/mo, zero down, 10k/yr. Starting a family soon, and NJ requires rear facing seat for 2 years. RDX came out on top as the most legroom for a compact car, so we are sticking with that.

Prefer to have cheap lease, and then see what happens with family growth 3 years from now. The lease buyout for an RDX is very attractive given where CPOs trade.

Already done the numbers, and this seems to make sense. Where I fall short is whether the tech package makes sense; and in this case, it doesnt seem worth it.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 01-04-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:56 PM
Safety Car

kind of funny, but this is a really strange perspective

As a current city dweller, with no car, i always weigh in the cost of having a car versus not. It ultimately boils down to "cost per use". After using Zipcar for so many years, you get accustomed to gauging where you need to be, and whether it is worth the transportation $$ get there. I.e. do I want to spend $100 to get a car for 6 hours to go to that person's Saturday party in suburbia? It comes down to $100 a week (one Zipcar use, once every weekend), to fullfill 100% of my car needs; which is less than owning/leasing/parking a car in the city.

Now that we are moving out to the suburbs, I wont have access to Zipcar, and will need a car in my driveway, but I am only getting weekend use out of it. My mind is still trained to think - how much is this coming down to per ride.

Just like Zipcar - do you get the Nissan Versa for $15.75/hr, or do you feel like getting an 3-series for $21/hr for luxury enjoyment. I am at the cross-roads now, of saying - okay, I will now NEED a car, but will use it 10x a month, as opposed to previously being in the city and renting a Zipcar 4x a month. It comes down to -- what is my tolerance on a lease payment in terms of how it translates to $$/per ride.

I know this is getting way off topic - just thought it was an interesting perspective.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 01-04-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by The Dark Knight
What year/trim do you have that it came with a heated steering wheel?!
Notice where I said "back on topic" as in to say talking about the rdx specifically. The heated steering wheel is not offered on the rdx whereas a 2011 kia sportage or the new 2016 tucson have both the heated wheel and panoramic sunroofs....just saying.

kind of funny, but this is a really strange perspective

As a current city dweller, with no car, i always weigh in the cost of having a car versus not. It ultimately boils down to "cost per use". After using Zipcar for so many years, you get accustomed to gauging where you need to be, and whether it is worth the transportation $$ get there. I.e. do I want to spend $100 to get a car for 6 hours to go to that person's Saturday party in suburbia? It comes down to $100 a week (one Zipcar use, once every weekend), to fullfill 100% of my car needs; which is less than owning/leasing/parking a car in the city.

Now that we are moving out to the suburbs, I wont have access to Zipcar, and will need a car in my driveway, but I am only getting weekend use out of it. My mind is still trained to think - how much is this coming down to per ride.

Just like Zipcar - do you get the Nissan Versa for $15.75/hr, or do you feel like getting an 3-series for $21/hr for luxury enjoyment. I am at the cross-roads now, of saying - okay, I will now NEED a car, but will use it 10x a month, as opposed to previously being in the city and renting a Zipcar 4x a month. It comes down to -- what is my tolerance on a lease payment in terms of how it translates to $$/per ride.

I know this is getting way off topic - just thought it was an interesting perspective.
Then why are you looking at an rdx? You strike me as someone who is trying to get the best bang for the buck. So in this regard, you really should consider the aforementioned korean brands, really nice tech for a really nice price. There are also other companies to consider as well. Why buy a premium car and not get any premium features when you can get a "normal car" with nicer features for a lower price?
Old 01-04-2016, 07:40 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RDX10
Notice where I said "back on topic" as in to say talking about the rdx specifically. The heated steering wheel is not offered on the rdx whereas a 2011 kia sportage or the new 2016 tucson have both the heated wheel and panoramic sunroofs....just saying.

Then why are you looking at an rdx? You strike me as someone who is trying to get the best bang for the buck. So in this regard, you really should consider the aforementioned korean brands, really nice tech for a really nice price. There are also other companies to consider as well. Why buy a premium car and not get any premium features when you can get a "normal car" with nicer features for a lower price?
I started my search there - with a 2016 Tucson and Santa Fe. Big fan of Tucson, but to be honest, the lease on a RDX is pretty hard to beat given the MSRP, brand, and residual.

What I have found is that you have significant leverage during buy-out situations when you have a Japanese luxury car (Acura/Lexus/Infiniti) and lower tier cars (G-Series, TLX, RDX, IS, ES, etc). CPO market is inflated for those that want bottom dollar, lightly configured luxury cars that still have a lot of worry free miles. If we go under the anticipated mileage, we would likely find ourselves in a very good spot during buyout. Maybe $2-3k in dealer cash for a buyout, which amortizes down to a huge savings in lease payments (close to $100/mo). Or, alternatively, buying out a low mileage car to keep, at $4-5k under the market value.

Note: See the other thread, with the guy that has a 13 RDX Tech, 17k miles, and a $22.5k buyout. A dealer would CPO that and sell it close to $30k; that will likely bear fruit for the lessee. Probably cant do that with a Korean lease.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 01-04-2016 at 07:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ThermonMermon:
Comfy (01-05-2016), The Dark Knight (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 10:23 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I started my search there - with a 2016 Tucson and Santa Fe. Big fan of Tucson, but to be honest, the lease on a RDX is pretty hard to beat given the MSRP, brand, and residual.

What I have found is that you have significant leverage during buy-out situations when you have a Japanese luxury car (Acura/Lexus/Infiniti) and lower tier cars (G-Series, TLX, RDX, IS, ES, etc). CPO market is inflated for those that want bottom dollar, lightly configured luxury cars that still have a lot of worry free miles. If we go under the anticipated mileage, we would likely find ourselves in a very good spot during buyout. Maybe $2-3k in dealer cash for a buyout, which amortizes down to a huge savings in lease payments (close to $100/mo). Or, alternatively, buying out a low mileage car to keep, at $4-5k under the market value.

Note: See the other thread, with the guy that has a 13 RDX Tech, 17k miles, and a $22.5k buyout. A dealer would CPO that and sell it close to $30k; that will likely bear fruit for the lessee. Probably cant do that with a Korean lease.
Did you cross shop the RDX with the CX-5? I'm between those two right now.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:24 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Great calculations. You really did the math well.
Since you are moving to the suburbs, a sedan is probably out of the equation. You need an SUV, period.. Nice to see that you have zero'ed in on the RDX after looking at all possibilities. If I remember correctly you were looking for a Lexus at some point.
Why not buy the RDX outright? It would be cheaper than leasing and then buying anyways.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts

In all honesty, I would not lease an 2016 Acura and would pick up a used car instead. You'll be paying a lot of money in insurance and leasing just to have a car to use 2x a week.

You can buy a used MDX or RDX for nearly half the payment and still come out ahead. 2007+ MDX come standard with HID and SH-AWD.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:34 AM
Suzuka Master

I can't argue with a man who does his math so well, you seem to have this really figured out! My point was only in terms of outright purchase, like if you plan on keeping the car after, then you could finance a tucson for much cheaper than an rdx and save quite a bit, it is also easy on the eyes and may be more fuel efficient too. But I guess if you want to lease, I can see your point,
Old 01-05-2016, 03:43 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by csmeance
In all honesty, I would not lease an 2016 Acura and would pick up a used car instead. You'll be paying a lot of money in insurance and leasing just to have a car to use 2x a week.

You can buy a used MDX or RDX for nearly half the payment and still come out ahead. 2007+ MDX come standard with HID and SH-AWD.
Need newer, bulletproof car, as it's only car in stable. Also want a newer car if I'm putting in my future first born. Flexibility is nice in 3 years if we need something bigger, I.e. second dog or second kid, or wife ends up commuting with the car.

Also see above the methodology on gaming the system. If you do it right, find the right car, and negotiation a lease on the front end and back end, it will cost the lessee less money than the guy buying the CPO on the back end. Plus the lessee has flexibility in ditching the car after three years or keeping it. Think about it, zero down, 390/mo and your left with a car that could get you 3k in cash at the end of the lease, because dealers are milking the CPO market for off lease cars.

Would you rather be the lessee guy sitting pretty, or the guy getting hosed on the CPO purchase of 30k on a car that just had a 23k buyout option.

Pick the right brand, right residual, and you could wash rinse repeat.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:22 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by The Dark Knight
Did you cross shop the RDX with the CX-5? I'm between those two right now.
We looked at:

2016 Tucson Ultimate - Nice package. $35k sticker for $32k. Leases horribly. Used market hasnt materialized yet, so need to finance new. $5k down, with a $500/mo payment over 5 years for a Hyundai. Eh, then you outgrow it, and need to sell a 5 year old Hyundai on the open market. We passed.

2016 NX - Same lease deal as RDX Base. $389/mo, zero down. That is a GREAT deal, and will have a super buyout price. Inside way too small, not family friendly. Trunk would be a one stroller, and nothing more.

CX-5- Nice package at GT trim, good handling. Wife thought it was too plain.

2016 Outback - By far the best value. I would get this in a heartbeat. $32k gets you most luxuries, and the interior is nicer than the RDX, with better mileage. This is a no brainer on paper, however, wife thinks Subarus are lesbian cars. She would occasionally drive to client meetings and case trials with atty partners, so the mantra of the car is somewhat important.

RDX - Good lease deals, good buyout prices. Class leading rear seat legroom really avoids the "oh shit, my rear facing baby seat takes up too much space, and I need to trade in". NJ is instituting rear facing seats up to 2 years. Ever see how much space a rear facing 2 year old takes up? You damn near need a minivan or full size SUV; or in this case, an RDX. RDX really fit the mold of a one-car-fits-all, in terms of the spacial layout, gas mileage, etc. Baby hauler? Check. Commuter car (if need be)? Check. Client meeting appropriate? Check. You get the idea

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 01-05-2016 at 04:35 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:18 PM
Suzuka Master

We looked at:

2016 Tucson Ultimate - Nice package. $35k sticker for $32k. Leases horribly. Used market hasnt materialized yet, so need to finance new. $5k down, with a $500/mo payment over 5 years for a Hyundai. Eh, then you outgrow it, and need to sell a 5 year old Hyundai on the open market. We passed.

2016 NX - Same lease deal as RDX Base. $389/mo, zero down. That is a GREAT deal, and will have a super buyout price. Inside way too small, not family friendly. Trunk would be a one stroller, and nothing more.

CX-5- Nice package at GT trim, good handling. Wife thought it was too plain.

2016 Outback - By far the best value. I would get this in a heartbeat. $32k gets you most luxuries, and the interior is nicer than the RDX, with better mileage. This is a no brainer on paper, however, wife thinks Subarus are lesbian cars. She would occasionally drive to client meetings and case trials with atty partners, so the mantra of the car is somewhat important.

RDX - Good lease deals, good buyout prices. Class leading rear seat legroom really avoids the "oh shit, my rear facing baby seat takes up too much space, and I need to trade in". NJ is instituting rear facing seats up to 2 years. Ever see how much space a rear facing 2 year old takes up? You damn near need a minivan or full size SUV; or in this case, an RDX. RDX really fit the mold of a one-car-fits-all, in terms of the spacial layout, gas mileage, etc. Baby hauler? Check. Commuter car (if need be)? Check. Client meeting appropriate? Check. You get the idea
Loooooool lesbian car...tell that to wrx sti drivers...ouch!
Old 01-05-2016, 10:21 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Ah...ha. We all found that out the hard way.... We do the grinding research on cars and when its time to buy eventually the ladies decide what car to get.....
Old 01-05-2016, 11:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Comfy
Ah...ha. We all found that out the hard way.... We do the grinding research on cars and when its time to buy eventually the ladies decide what car to get.....
I guess subaru never helped themselves out by naming one of their cars tribeca....an area known for lesbians.....yikes!
Old 01-11-2016, 01:07 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Now that we've learned more about your life-style, it seems the RDX is not the best choice for you. I got an RDX because I travel long distances and carry a lot of crap with me when I do.

But, for suburban big-box hopping and occasional trips to the lake, a Subaru Outback four-banger would be a much better choice for you, as would a CRV or Mazda.

It seems the kind of appliance you need is something less expensive than any RDX model.

The V-6 comes in handy when quick acceleration from 70 to 90 is necessary for getting past the goof-balls. Other than that, it is a waste of gas and money. I'm willing to pay that, again, because I travel long distances with the car every week. But, it seems that is not the place where you are in your life right now.

Be sure the real issue is the car. 90% of divorces are preceded within six months by a new car purchase.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:10 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Desert Ridge
Now that we've learned more about your life-style, it seems the RDX is not the best choice for you. I got an RDX because I travel long distances and carry a lot of crap with me when I do.

But, for suburban big-box hopping and occasional trips to the lake, a Subaru Outback four-banger would be a much better choice for you, as would a CRV or Mazda.

It seems the kind of appliance you need is something less expensive than any RDX model.

The V-6 comes in handy when quick acceleration from 70 to 90 is necessary for getting past the goof-balls. Other than that, it is a waste of gas and money. I'm willing to pay that, again, because I travel long distances with the car every week. But, it seems that is not the place where you are in your life right now.

Be sure the real issue is the car. 90% of divorces are preceded within six months by a new car purchase.
How does divorce come into play here??
Old 01-12-2016, 08:44 PM
Suzuka Master

How does divorce come into play here??
X2

What the actual hell?
Old 01-16-2016, 02:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
navigation and more importantly HID make it worth it.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:37 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Informative thread on the exact topic I'm interested in. I've settled on the RDX as the best value in the small/mid-size SUV that meets my particular needs. This will be a ski car in the winter and a road trip car in the summer, sometimes pulling a 1,500 lb. trailer, so a 4-banger isn't an option and a V6 preferred over a turbo. Choices are limited, most requiring the addition of multiple trim levels. For example, to get leather in a Mercedes GLC, you need to add 2 trim "bundles" costing $3,220, including ambient interior lighting and illuminated front door sills. Turns out that to spec out the Mercedes GLC to meet what I consider to be modest needs would add 40% to the cost of the base model. Much the same for the Audi and Lexus.

The point here is that when compared to other car companies, Acura's trim packages really seem to be a good value - with accessories whose value may not be apparent until the owner puts them to use. So, thanks to all of you. I will upgrade to the tech package with a no-regrets attitude, and based on your feedback, I'll expect to be surprised how much I like some of the new options.
Comfy (01-18-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 07:14 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
As a long-time Mercedes-Benz owner, let me add my $.02 regarding the GLC. I looked at the GLC. There is a rule that goes back at least to the early 1990's: Never buy the first two years of a new chassis number - meaning it normally takes about 2 years for MB to get the bugs worked out.

And you are right, In order to get a GLC to the same level of amenities as an RDX Tech you end up with a price tag about $10K higher than the RDX.

There is a third issue if you intend to keep the car a long time: Almost every MB has one or more of what I call 'ticking time bombs' - Serious problems that are debilitatingly expensive to fix and do not appear until long after the extended warranty runs out. (Let me tell you sometime about the $4K gas tank in my E350) This has been true of every MB I've owned. Never own a late model MB without an extended warranty, and when that warranty expires be prepared to move on.

I've owned my 2016 RDX Tech for about 6 weeks. The more I drive it the more I love it.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:30 AM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Did you look at the CR-V and/or Pilot?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 RDX Tech package worth it?