2016 RDX MMC Refresh thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 07:41 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I look forward to the 13 Feb reveal. I'm glad there will be an Advance Trim although there would only be a few things from that trim that I'd want. I just hope they don't price this out of reality. I'm curious if they give the RDX the same anti-noise treatment they gave the TLX (they did a great job there) and if there will be a drive train change. That might be a stretch for an MMC but they did it on the ILX. The TLX's V-6 drive train but bump up the mileage a bit. Not long to wait.
Also if they are making any updates to the infotainment/navigation system.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Exclamation AcuraNews

Coming off a record sales year as 1 of the best-selling SUVs in its segment, Acura's RDX is set to move its already lofty bar even higher when the new 2016 model bows at the Chicago Auto Show on February 12. The new RDX sports a long list of styling and performance improvements plus desirable new luxury and safety features designed to further solidify its leadership in the compact luxury SUV segment.

The 2016 RDX artfully blends numerous fresh exterior and interior design elements to further enrich its sport and luxury qualities, all with a cohesiveness that speaks to its new capabilities. Already 1 of the quickest and most fuel-efficient V6-powered entry-luxury SUVs, the 2016 RDX takes the position a step further, adding important improvements to performance, dynamics, comfort and NVH.

Don't miss the debut of the newest Acura RDX at the Chicago Auto Show on Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 10:30 a.m. CST in the Acura booth.
The following 2 users liked this post by TSX69:
bzb123 (01-21-2015), Rocket_man (01-22-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 11:22 AM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
It almost seems impossible that new power train components won't be in the RDX with the wording of the press release. I don't know why they would spend money to improve the old engine (i.e. - "performance improvements") and or spend money to hook up the 9AT to the old V6 when they already have all of that stuff taken care of with the engine and tranny in the TLX (or even the MDX). Might as well give it the new SHAWD system too while they are at it. I don't know how they would give the RDX "performance improvements" without messing with the engine, transmission or AWD system.

But then again the ILX got a lot of stuff but it didn't get PAWS and it didn't get the IDS system.

I also don't know why Acura would choose to debut this MMC at an Auto Show unless it had big power train updates like the ILX did.

It would also be a poor showing for Acura if the Pilot has a DI engine, all new 4WD system and the 9AT and the RDX has none of those things.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:28 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69

Coming off a record sales year as 1 of the best-selling SUVs in its segment, Acura's RDX is set to move its already lofty bar even higher when the new 2016 model bows at the Chicago Auto Show on February 12. The new RDX sports a long list of styling and performance improvements plus desirable new luxury and safety features designed to further solidify its leadership in the compact luxury SUV segment.

The 2016 RDX artfully blends numerous fresh exterior and interior design elements to further enrich its sport and luxury qualities, all with a cohesiveness that speaks to its new capabilities. Already 1 of the quickest and most fuel-efficient V6-powered entry-luxury SUVs, the 2016 RDX takes the position a step further, adding important improvements to performance, dynamics, comfort and NVH.

Don't miss the debut of the newest Acura RDX at the Chicago Auto Show on Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 10:30 a.m. CST in the Acura booth.
Then the question arises again - when does a lot of changes equate to a "new" model vs a mid model refresh. With comments like "newest" I'd think that this will be billed as an all new RDX.

However - I'm not sure that this excerpt come from Acura. They would have spelled out "one".

Last edited by ceb; 01-21-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:34 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by iutodd
It almost seems impossible that new power train components won't be in the RDX with the wording of the press release. I don't know why they would spend money to improve the old engine (i.e. - "performance improvements") and or spend money to hook up the 9AT to the old V6 when they already have all of that stuff taken care of with the engine and tranny in the TLX (or even the MDX). Might as well give it the new SHAWD system too while they are at it. I don't know how they would give the RDX "performance improvements" without messing with the engine, transmission or AWD system.

But then again the ILX got a lot of stuff but it didn't get PAWS and it didn't get the IDS system.

I also don't know why Acura would choose to debut this MMC at an Auto Show unless it had big power train updates like the ILX did.

It would also be a poor showing for Acura if the Pilot has a DI engine, all new 4WD system and the 9AT and the RDX has none of those things.
They wouldn't - unless it is an all new model and then it may well have more features, engines, lighting and so forth.

What some here don't understand is that manufacturers are limited in what they can do with a refresh. The costs to certify the changes make no financial sense. Better to just come out with a new model and start the cycle over.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:47 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
From LeftlaneNews:

Acura to debut revised 2016 RDX in Chicago

Honda's Acura luxury division has confirmed that it will show an updated version of its popular RDX crossover at next month's Chicago auto show.

More of a mid-cycle update than clean-sheet refresh, the 2016 RDX will arrive with fresh styling both inside and out. Acura says the revised RDX will also boast performance and safety improvements.

No other details were given, but it's likely that the 2016 RDX will adopt Acura's latest nine-speed automatic transmission. That new gearbox will be paired to Acura's familiar 3.5L V6, although we could see a jump in the RDX's current output of 273 horsepower and 251 lb-ft of torque.

On the safety front, look for the RDX to adopt the latest technologies from the TLX sedan, such as forward collision warning and lane keeping assist.

The 2016 Acura RDX will be officially unveiled on February 12
The following 2 users liked this post by CybrRdr:
kfhughes (01-21-2015), Rocket_man (01-22-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 02:09 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
They wouldn't - unless it is an all new model and then it may well have more features, engines, lighting and so forth.

What some here don't understand is that manufacturers are limited in what they can do with a refresh. The costs to certify the changes make no financial sense. Better to just come out with a new model and start the cycle over.
Acura may spin it as an extensive MMC, rather than an all new model, but distinguishing between the two could be splitting hairs at this point. MDX V6, TLX 9-speed, jewel lights, all the latest safety nannies, new bumpers, wheels, interior upgrades, etc. Sure sounds all new, though.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:23 PM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
9 speed!, isn't that a bit much? Won't it be annoying as hell always changing gears? What about sports mode, how I'll it be set up?
Old 01-21-2015, 06:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas
9 speed!, isn't that a bit much? Won't it be annoying as hell always changing gears? What about sports mode, how I'll it be set up?
Go drive a TLX, should give you some idea.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:54 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by hondu
Acura may spin it as an extensive MMC, rather than an all new model, but distinguishing between the two could be splitting hairs at this point. MDX V6, TLX 9-speed, jewel lights, all the latest safety nannies, new bumpers, wheels, interior upgrades, etc. Sure sounds all new, though.
They have two choices - bill it as a refresh and keep changes to a minimum or bill it as "new" and go whole hog.

The issue is that the current RDX (if you go by the "normal" cycle) is due for replacement in a couple of three years. The certification and testing process for new engines, trannies, safety stuff and all that is too great of an investment for three years. If they skip the refresh and start a new cycle then they're good for six or seven years with a refresh in three years.

They introduced the CR-V as the "new CR-V" to eke out a few extra years.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:36 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by TSX69

Originally Posted by iutodd

Originally Posted by CybrRdr
From LeftlaneNews:

Acura to debut revised 2016 RDX in Chicago

Honda's Acura luxury division has confirmed that it will show an updated version of its popular RDX crossover at next month's Chicago auto show.

More of a mid-cycle update than clean-sheet refresh, the 2016 RDX will arrive with fresh styling both inside and out. Acura says the revised RDX will also boast performance and safety improvements.

No other details were given, but it's likely that the 2016 RDX will adopt Acura's latest nine-speed automatic transmission. That new gearbox will be paired to Acura's familiar 3.5L V6, although we could see a jump in the RDX's current output of 273 horsepower and 251 lb-ft of torque.

On the safety front, look for the RDX to adopt the latest technologies from the TLX sedan, such as forward collision warning and lane keeping assist.

The 2016 Acura RDX will be officially unveiled on February 12
I think all this sounds great to me. An RDX Advance might change my mind about a TLX Advance. I know, very different cars, but the RDX is easier for me to get in and out of and offers better cargo handling.

Not sure if the drive train changes will include the TLX engine, or just the 9HP on the existing engine, but even the new 9HP would give it a slight MPG boost and perhaps even 0-60 performance boost. The TLX engine would simplify their manufacturing and logistics. It would not be unreasonable given the changes they made to the ILX. We'll see in a few short weeks.

NVH reductions could mean they are giving it the foam treatment that the TLX has but hopefully it goes further than that. The quietness of the TLX is one of the features I like the most about it.

The Advance Trim should have the ventilated seats I want and solve the passenger seat height limitation of the current car.

And as others have suggested.... it may well get the same dual display system in the TLX. Some don't like that but I do.

These all sound very positive for the RDX and tells me that the new Acura management doesn't want to play catch up to its competition for the next three years like the old management would have. So I'm more optimistic to hear what Acura says on the 12th (and the 13th in Canada for the Canadian RDX).
Old 01-22-2015, 08:47 AM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
we can speculate all we want but will know for sure in 3 weeks.

I do wonder if they go the TLX route and offer 2 engines. Acura has been a laggard with new stuff and upgrades. I wonder if they will change suit with the RDX by trying to get ahead of the curve and not wait for other manufacturers to add stuff and to add stuff on other Acura models first. Most of the stuff we discuss here is out but I wonder if something new and innovative will be added that is not on any Acura or Honda vehicle yet.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:00 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Lightbulb Tov

Here is what Jeff over @ TOV had to say:
there's no 9AT nor SH-AWD in the RDX MMC and I'm pretty sure the engine remains as is. I could be wrong on the engine part, but based on what I've heard, it doesn't sound like it. Obvious stuff like jewel eyes, updated safety tech, LKAS, CMBS, ACC, etc.. is all pretty much a given.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:04 PM
Racer

I do hope they make the rear windows like that if the MDX. In the below you can see that the rear window is 1 pane of glass and not split like in the RDX. I am guessing some of the other styling differences may transfer from the MDX. In general I don't expect the body to change much for the RDX.

RDX:

MDX:
Old 01-22-2015, 09:17 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by wildeklave
I do hope they make the rear windows like that if the MDX. In the below you can see that the rear window is 1 pane of glass and not split like in the RDX. I am guessing some of the other styling differences may transfer from the MDX. In general I don't expect the body to change much for the RDX.
I can't really see this happening. If you look at the RDX rear door, the wheel arch prevents a wider rear window from going down inside the door. That is why they split it up. The MDX rear door is wider. I can't see any body panel changes other than what they might need to make the Jewel Eyes fit. Have to wait for the FMC to see body panel changes.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:21 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm starting to think a 9 speed for the RDX might just be in the works as we found out today the MDX is getting a 9 speed for 2016 and it's not even technically a mid-cycle refresh. The RDX isn't far behind the competition in fuel economy but that city economy under 20mpg is just a psychological roadblock for many people. The 9 speed could likely solve that "problem."

We have been all set to get the Lexus NX but wait time on orders and the narrow nature of the F Sport seats have us thinking we will wait and see on the RDX refresh. For some reason my wife isn't willing to drive a Lexus but is all for an Acura due to perceived "snot factor" of the Lexus. We've always liked the (perceived) understated luxury of Acura. She enjoys the MDX currently but would generally like to drive something smaller on a daily basis. The MDX would become my daily driver if we traded for an RDX. The NX would be mine if we went the Lexus route.

I personally wouldn't mind a smaller engine in the RDX refresh for fuel economy improvements but it seems that won't happen.

Things that will likely happen (yes it's all been stated elsewhere here):
- Jewel Eye lights
- nicer interior including Advance Package
- exterior tweaks/more color options
- new rim options (soooo needed)
- safety/tech features coming up to par (LKA, radar cruise, collision avoidance etc)

Things I'd like to see but am unsure about them happening:
- new transmission
- rear seat vents
- rear seats that recline (I doubt this will happen)
- quieter overall
- heated steering wheel option (an accessory at worst)

Gotta say I am intrigued. The announced small changes in the MDX recently have me more excited about the possibilities for the RDX. I'm imagining a loaded 2016 RDX will be pushing $50,000.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:45 PM
Pro

If engine/trans stay the same, I'll save me some serious $$$ by getting a 2013.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:21 AM
Pro

If engine/trans stay the same, I'll save me some serious $$$ by getting a 2013.
Based on what I've seen, it sounds like it might get a DI V6 engine, but keep the 6-speed transmission. I would still expect the extensive exterior and interior changes, along with all the added electronic gizmos to match the ILX/MDX/TLX.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:10 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by hondu
Based on what I've seen, it sounds like it might get a DI V6 engine, but keep the 6-speed transmission. I would still expect the extensive exterior and interior changes, along with all the added electronic gizmos to match the ILX/MDX/TLX.
it appears the RLX and MDX have the new engine with the 6 speed transmission while the TLX has the new transmission. Other than the true auto experts the avg buyer will not know the difference. The MKC and NX both have a 6 speed transmission.

The Cherokee, Q5, X3, and GLK have 7 and 8 speed transmissions.

Most buyers will look for a smooth ride, enough power to pass / go up hills, smooth transitions between gears, luxury badge, and most importantly gas mileage when comparing these vehicles.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:38 AM
Advanced

I also wouldn't mind seeing heated rear seats option to come along with the Advance package.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:40 AM
Advanced

it appears the RLX and MDX have the new engine with the 6 speed transmission while the TLX has the new transmission. Other than the true auto experts the avg buyer will not know the difference. The MKC and NX both have a 6 speed transmission.

The Cherokee, Q5, X3, and GLK have 7 and 8 speed transmissions.

Most buyers will look for a smooth ride, enough power to pass / go up hills, smooth transitions between gears, luxury badge, and most importantly gas mileage when comparing these vehicles.
The MDX will shortly join the TLX in receiving the 9 speed. Builds starting in February and to dealers around June.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:24 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
The RDX refresh should be a baby MDX (with 95% of MDX features, minus the third row seating). Time for Acura to stop holding back on the RDX and offer what the competition is offering, plus more.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm hoping the earth dreams engine makes it's way mated with the 9 speed transmission. power tailgate on all levels, jewel eyes, SHAWD, rear vents and this thing will be great.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:33 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
since it is understood next year will have a refresh for the rdx, what do you think will be included?

My thoughts:

Most likely-
- advanced package similar to mdx (features may include blind spot, collision warning, backup sensors,
and other safety features)
- jewel eyes headlights
- rear seat vents
- ventilated seats
- passenger seat height adjustment (a big topic recently on these boards)
- panoramic sunroof (while not necessary it is a convenience that is very popular)
- updated infotainment system (maybe the google product that honda is involved with)
the google product may help sales since lexus has the apple product. Those with android phones may
prefer a vehicle with the google product for easier syncing within their driving experience.
- other fixes to the driving experience that have been noted on these boards
(ie. If shocks, handling, or other items were upgraded in the mdx or tlx)

maybe-
- new engine (either 3.7l 300 hp version in mdx or the 3.5l 290 hp version in the tlx)
this is tricky since the current engine is very good but acura may want to keep it simple where they can
eliminate producing an extra engine by using an engine that is in another vehicle. My guess is that they
go with the 3.5l engine since it will probably have better gas mileage and show differentiation from the
mdx so they do not cannibalize sales. I wonder if the 3.5l can earn an epa rating of 30 mpg or more on
the highway.
- 2 levels of engines (2.4l version in the tlx at the low end and the 3.5 or 3.7 l engines from the tlx or
mdx on the high end)
this will allow acura to lower the price on the low end engine to compete on the low end of the luxury
market and possibly steal sales from the rav 4, escape, cherokee, santa fe sport, and potentially the
german makers. They may take sales from the lexus nx but that vehicle is new and supposedly will be
aggressively priced lower than the german makers. The goal with the lower engine (205 hp would be to
get the buyers that want luxury but are not car / engine people. They want more than what a crv or rav
4 has but don't need a 260hp + engine. This also gets 1st time buyers into an acura rdx at around 32k
for the base. Remember most small suv buyers are not car enthusiasts that even know about their
engine's performance. You can call them the soccer moms or guys with enough money that just want a
certain luxury vehicle badge. While this is not always true you can see based on the styling that it is less
aggressive in the acura models than 10 years ago.

Not likely -
- sport trim package for the sh awd similar to the f sport from lexus.
For the sh awd version have many of the advanced features as standard. Also, put in the 3.7 l engine
(even if the higher engine is the 3.5l). For trim put in a rear bumper that shows aggressive exhaust tips.
Add in additional sports exterior accent lighting. Offer upgraded premium leather, maybe even 2 tone
leather. Maybe a more sporty premium grille. This should be a premium vehicle that will have a limited
distribution to compete on the high end against the lexus f sport, bmw m trim, mercedes amg, and audi
is.
lol
Old 02-04-2015, 07:42 AM
Racer

announced this morning for the MDX changes:
http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...tech-features/

- gets the 9 speed transmission as it tries to stay ahead of the RX refresh
- gets some tech updates too

launching this week

This may be an indication on the RDX updates
Old 02-04-2015, 09:15 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have my figures crossed for a supercharged 6 and SH-AWD.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
It's a 6 speed with the d/I engine
Old 02-04-2015, 03:23 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
So, who has the actual sales numbers on AWD vs FWD for the Gen 2 RDX? Zillions of us owners(FWD) wouldn't even know if they went back to SH-AWD.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:23 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
We will know soon!

2016 RDX will be released in Toronto on Feb 13th, all will be revealed! if anyone wants to go!

Wouldn't it be wonderful if it had SHAWD! I'll bet it doesn't. Too bad I would upgrade just for that option.

CIAS 2015 - Premieres

Last edited by mtc46jw; 02-04-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:17 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Not getting the 9-speed is not bad, as that transmission has many issues with software plus the slow downshift 7-6 and 5-4 downshift issue that cannot be resolved without redesigning it due to slow dog clutches that were used for efficiency and compactness. MDX got the 9-speed and the its fuel consumption did not improve either, so a no-go on that front as well. 6 speeds was enough for a 230-mph Mclaren F1, it's plenty for 130-mph RDX.

I sure wish it had SH-AWD though, it'd go a long way towards making the RDX sporty like my 2009.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:22 PM
Pro

Now that it's out, I can say the changes made don't justify buying new, so in my case I'll be looking into getting a used 2013.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:34 PM
Pro

Now that it's out, I can say the changes made don't justify buying new, so in my case I'll be looking into getting a used 2013.
You've mentioned that...why a '13 in particular? There should be a small flood of them being turned in from the very popular lease programs(ours may be one)...say from June to the end of the year. If we buy out our lease, it would be like buying 'used', I reckon. Our mileage will likely be in the 38k range; but I supposed there are folks turning in leased units with much lower mileage. Will be interesting to see the prices if a ton of them hit the dealer lots at once.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:53 AM
Pro

A 2013 would be cheaper than a 2014..., since nothing major changed since then. The only 2 vehicles that got real changes are the pilot and the CRV, none of which interest me, I like the grunt and 0-60 of the RDX. Nothing wrong with the 2016 RDX, if I were to win the lottery, I would get a 2016, till then all I can afford is used.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:59 PM
Pro

A 2013 would be cheaper than a 2014..., since nothing major changed since then. The only 2 vehicles that got real changes are the pilot and the CRV, none of which interest me, I like the grunt and 0-60 of the RDX. Nothing wrong with the 2016 RDX, if I were to win the lottery, I would get a 2016, till then all I can afford is used.
Got it...Since we trade every couple of years, our trade-ins are remarkably clean and usually trouble free. NOT so much with our RDX, since DW customized the passenger side front bumper skin and a couple of places on the rear hatch. Also, we have a hesitation issue that the techs can't seem to figure out. We are also putting on more miles than we used to...our C70 is 14 months old and has 22000 miles !! The RDX will be 38k-40k miles at lease-end. Still might be a good value. We shall see.