2016 RDX Advance vs. 2019 - Pre-buyers remorse? About to buy in a few hours!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 07:52 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 RDX Advance vs. 2019 - Pre-buyers remorse? About to buy in a few hours!

Hi!

We currently have the 2008 RDX SH-AWD with 102k miles. We are about to buy a 2016 RDX Advance AWD that looks awesome. It was a corporate fleet car with 42k miles. I assume most are highway miles. It has AcuraWatch, ventilated seats, remote start, roof rails/crossbars, running boards, fog lights and towing package. Price is $29.9k before taxes/fees. My OTD will be $32k.

As we all know, the infotainment system is going to look so obsolete in 2019. Freaking out thinking that we should wait until we can get a used 2019. We typically don't buy new...

I plan on installing NavTool in the RDX for smartphone mirroring so we dont have to use the built in system. I haven't experienced using Nav on it though. We had a 2016 RDX loaner once and the V6 engine was awesome. Just not a fan of the jerkiness of the turbo (I know the '19 is expected to have the 2.0L turbo).

Just pre-buying nervousness I guess. Haven't bought a car this expensive yet.

Thanks for reading!
Old 08-26-2017, 10:08 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I'd say that if you feel the price is excellent, go for it. Keep it for 3-4 years and look at a used '20, which will have any 're-design' bugs all worked out. I bought a first year model once....never again, new or used. We love our '17 Advance. The infotainment system is not perfect and has a steeper learning curve (very thick manual!) than many; however, once you figure it out, it's pretty darn decent, in my opinion.

We all get a little nervous on a major purchase. Once you get it and start enjoying the ride, you'll be happy you went through with the purchase....and, like you said, that V6 is a very nice engine, especially coupled with that smooth 6 spd auto.

Good luck, enjoy, and post once you've bought the vehicle, with your impressions!

BTW: what color?
The following users liked this post:
lexus9810 (08-27-2017)
Old 08-26-2017, 03:35 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
42K is a lot of miles for a 16. I'd talk down the price if I were you. I got my 17 Advance for 39K OTD.
lexus9810 (08-27-2017)
Old 08-26-2017, 08:44 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's not a bad deal for that car, but 42K miles is a helluva lot of miles for a 2016.

The Advance package is nice to have, but I just bought a 2016 RDX AWD w/ Tech + AcuraWatch with 13K miles for the same price ($29.9k) last month. For that price, I would personally rather lose the Advance package and have those miles back.
lexus9810 (08-27-2017)
Old 08-26-2017, 09:50 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Interesting story as I also went from a 2008 RDX to a 2016 RDX Advance. Only difference is I bought mine new. I agree with the other posters that $32K seems a bit high for 42k miles. I agree, I think you can do better. Not only that, since it was a fleet car those 42k miles were most likely beat on, guaranteed! I wouldn’t feel comfortable buying it. Keep shopping IMO.
lexus9810 (08-27-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 01:10 AM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Ya, 42k mi is a lot, but there are loads of lease/fleet return Acura Certified RDXs out there. I would never buy one of these new, it's just too easy to save $10-12K on a very low mileage unit. Good luck!!
lexus9810 (08-27-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 09:48 AM
10th Gear

Hey guys,

So, we ended up getting it even though it had the higher miles. This one is for the wife. I drive a Lexus IS250 that I got with about 40k miles that has about 140k now after ~8 years. It drives like its still new and looks great still. I'm hoping we can do the same for this car and not be lured in by the 2020+ models for a while.

We found out it was owned by Honda by their district managers to drive between regional dealerships. This one was owned/services in Alabama where I live. I assume they stayed in SE US. When I was researching prices within 150 miles of me, you could get a non-tech or tech (like 1) for around $32-35 with half the miles before taxes/fees at a major dealer. Carvana probably has the best deals currently. I could've gotten one with about half the miles for $2k more or so. At least it still has ~8k in full warranty and powertrain for a few more years. I don't know why but I think my Nashville/Birmingham/Atlanta are is just expensive for cars aside from those tiny dealers which I have trust issues with.

I really wanted the Advance package with roof rails/crossbars for the driver assist and ventilated seats. Anyway, I'm just justifying it my mind because I'm super biased about it now haha. We love it though! That V6 engine is sweet.The infotainment system is actually pretty good. I love the in-gauge turn-by-turn directions. ACC w/LKAS is pretty badass even though its hard to trust on hard turns. The ELS sound system is great too.

Here are some pics:

Old 08-27-2017, 01:35 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Congrats on your "new to you" 2016 RDX Advance! It looks mint and in very good condition. Good luck with it and enjoy it. I love mine. Mine is also the black pearl.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:30 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Very Nice! I debated on that color.
i personally like the ACC, the ventilated seats and the smooth torque of a V6...
but am mildly put off with the poor gas mileage and the tech features already could use an update.
In the end im happy if my wife is happy...she uses the rdx as her daily driver because she likes to sit up high.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:10 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Himecraig
Very Nice! I debated on that color.
i personally like the ACC, the ventilated seats and the smooth torque of a V6...
but am mildly put off with the poor gas mileage and the tech features already could use an update.
In the end im happy if my wife is happy...she uses the rdx as her daily driver because she likes to sit up high.
Think our wives are the same haha. I thought it had a pretty good gas mileage for a luxury V6 SUV.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:42 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Yours looks just like our '17 Advance only with Parchment interior. Yes there's a learning curve and yes the two-screen system is ancient, but who cares? Not us, we're loving it and enjoy "throwing it around" in urban traffic and curvy country roads. Love the ACC and blind spot monitoring. Only 8K miles so far.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:57 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I have a 14 Tech and 17 Elite (your Advance), and the tech systems are very good, in fact the 17 has many features that the 14 does not have and is a good improvement. We also had a 2011 RDX and the 14 and 17 is far superior, especially the powertrain and gas mileage. Regarding the big manual, it is quite small but there is a disc with all the info. Its not hard to learn the system though.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:58 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by CanTex
Yours looks just like our '17 Advance only with Parchment interior. Yes there's a learning curve and yes the two-screen system is ancient, but who cares? Not us, we're loving it and enjoy "throwing it around" in urban traffic and curvy country roads. Love the ACC and blind spot monitoring. Only 8K miles so far.
Totally agree. It might not be pretty but it gets what you need done. Ours has 42k but it looks like it could have just 8k too
Old 08-29-2017, 01:55 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!

Enjoy!
Old 08-30-2017, 07:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good choice. The new 2019 RDX will be powered by Honda's turbo 4 cyl. with less horsepower than the discontinued 279hp V6.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:23 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by vetdude
Good choice. The new 2019 RDX will be powered by Honda's turbo 4 cyl. with less horsepower than the discontinued 279hp V6.
What is your source of information here?

If they do go to an I4, I suspect the overall package will be just as quick. An HP decrease can be made up for with usable torque, which would likely exceed the output of the current V6. In it's current form as a comfort-first design, the RDX doesn't need any more power, IMO (of course all of us car guys would not argue with more power lol). Not without a better suspension package at least. That would start to remind me of the V6 RAV4s, which can be a little scary with all that power in a shaky tin box.

Last edited by Kaputnik; 08-30-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:26 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
What is your source of information here?

If they do go to an I4, I suspect the overall package will be just as quick. An HP decrease can be made up for with usable torque, which would likely exceed the output of the current V6. In it's current form as a comfort-first design, the RDX doesn't need any more power, IMO (of course all of us car guys would not argue with more power lol). Not without a better suspension package at least. That would start to remind me of the V6 RAV4s, which can be a little scary with all that power in a shaky tin box.
MOTOR TREND magazine: "Expect the next gen RDX to ride on a new platform and be powered by a 2.0-liter turbo-four with about 260 horsepower:"

PS: Love the power of our 2017 RDX with the 279hp v6, especially when needed on on-ramps...and no waiting for a turbo to "spool up" [turbo lag].

Last edited by vetdude; 08-31-2017 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:55 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought the 2017 RDX because I wanted a SUV with a V6 and automatic transmission. My wife has owned three cars now with V6's and CVT's and I haven't liked any of them (all Nissan's). In my opinion (for what that's worth), a turbo-four with a decent torque curve may not feel noticeably different from a V6 if it has a decent transmission to go with it. My last car (not a SUV) had a turbo-four with 260 hp and 295 ft-lb torque and the torque to scoot around in city driving and accelerating for on ramps was actually quite good and even in the heavier RDX I think it would be comparable to the current V6 under ideal conditions. While turbo lag was virtually non-existent on my old car, the heat soak in summer time was very real which is the main reason I went away from a turbocharged 4 and back to a NA V6.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:16 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by bmllr8
I bought the 2017 RDX because I wanted a SUV with a V6 and automatic transmission. My wife has owned three cars now with V6's and CVT's and I haven't liked any of them (all Nissan's). In my opinion (for what that's worth), a turbo-four with a decent torque curve may not feel noticeably different from a V6 if it has a decent transmission to go with it. My last car (not a SUV) had a turbo-four with 260 hp and 295 ft-lb torque and the torque to scoot around in city driving and accelerating for on ramps was actually quite good and even in the heavier RDX I think it would be comparable to the current V6 under ideal conditions. While turbo lag was virtually non-existent on my old car, the heat soak in summer time was very real which is the main reason I went away from a turbocharged 4 and back to a NA V6.
In short, I'd be thrilled with an RDX A-spec that gave just three three things - a more bolstered and firmer front seat, tighter suspension, nicer wheels with a more performance tire profile.

Last edited by Kaputnik; 08-31-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:21 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
In short, I'd be thrilled with an RDX A-spec that gave just three three things - a more bolstered and firmer front seat, tighter suspension, nicer wheels with a more performance tire profile.
It's not out of the question. The TLX got an A-Spec and the RDX is selling more units - if they're going to offer it now is the time!
Old 08-31-2017, 11:24 AM
Intermediate

I'd love to see that too, possibly with a slightly nicer instrument cluster as well. I am surprised they haven't tried to do something with this given how popular the car is, or maybe my thinking is backward and it is already selling good enough so the added variation of an A-spec RDX may not make Acura much more money?
Old 08-31-2017, 12:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
i think you overpaid at least 3-5k for that car. just my 2c
Old 08-31-2017, 01:16 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bmllr8
After owning two 4-cylinder cars in past years (my 1st car being a '61 40hp VW beetle), I swore I'd never own another one again. As far as turbochargers go, ever research the cost to repair those things, as well as the premature damage they can do to an engine if not maintained to the letter, like more frequent oil changes? $3,000 for a new turbo.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:19 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by aIRpeACE
i think you overpaid at least 3-5k for that car. just my 2c
His choice and he loves the RDX...that's all that matters. Plus, by the pictures, it's got every option one could get - roof rails and crossbars, trailer hitch, running boards.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:48 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vetdude
After owning two 4-cylinder cars in past years (my 1st car being a '61 40hp VW beetle), I swore I'd never own another one again. As far as turbochargers go, ever research the cost to repair those things, as well as the premature damage they can do to an engine if not maintained to the letter, like more frequent oil changes? $3,000 for a new turbo.
I fully agree with your sentiments. Turbo replacements are quite expensive which is one reason why I was happy to get out of my last car before any serious repairs were needed. Another reason why I prefer the V6 over a turbo-four is that everything is just so much more linear and smooth compared to the rush of the turbo kicking in it 3500 RPM.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:26 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by lexus9810
Hey guys,

So, we ended up getting it even though it had the higher miles. This one is for the wife. I drive a Lexus IS250 that I got with about 40k miles that has about 140k now after ~8 years. It drives like its still new and looks great still. I'm hoping we can do the same for thimodels for a while.

We found out it was owned by Honda by their district managers to drive between regional dealerships. This one was owned/services in Alabama where I live. I assume they stayed in SE US. When I was researching prices within 150 miles of me, you could get a non-tech or tech (like 1) for around $32-35 with half the miles before taxes/fees at a major dealer. Carvana probably has the best deals currently. I could've gotten one with about half the miles for $2k more or so. At least it still has ~8k in full warranty and powertrain for a few more years. I don't know why but I think my Nashville/Birmingham/Atlanta are is just expensive for cars aside from those tiny dealers which I have trust issues with.

I really wanted the Advance package with roof rails/crossbars for the driver assist and ventilated seats. Anyway, I'm just justifying it my mind because I'm super biased about it now haha. We love it though! That V6 engine is sweet.The infotainment system is actually pretty good. I love the in-gauge turn-by-turn directions. ACC w/LKAS is pretty badass even though its hard to trust on hard turns. The ELS sound system is great too.

Here are some pics:

Wow congratulations. That's an awesome looking cool car. Very nicely maintained. Now that you have bought it, just forget about the price paid and ignore those who think you overpaid. You did the best you can and got the best car out there. That's what matters. Well done. Congratulations again.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:38 PM
Pro

Ya, congrats OP. I think the RDX looks so sharp in black, same for the interior.

Last edited by Kaputnik; 08-31-2017 at 06:41 PM.