2016 Model Year Changes

Old 02-15-2015, 11:16 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any info on the 2016 RDX Canadian model? Anything different from the US model?
Old 02-15-2015, 11:55 AM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Reimroc
Any info on the 2016 RDX Canadian model? Anything different from the US model?
^ No specific info yet on '16 RDX Canadian model. Will be going to the Toronto show in a few days - will check out the new RDX and talk with the Acura reps while I'm there.
As an aside.. as a unique package the '15 MDX Canadian model gets a standard heated steering wheel and heated windshield. Who knows.. maybe Acura will decide to apply one or both of these features on the '16 RDX for Canada.

Name:  2016RDXatTorontoAutoShowimg1_zps904c5494.png
Views: 592
Size:  938.8 KB
Old 02-15-2015, 12:07 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apparently engine modifications do not include direct injection?

I assume headlights include intelligent/automatic high beams?
Old 02-15-2015, 03:09 PM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
All the wheels suck, only real improvement is the awd sytem.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:41 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Too many RDX 2016 threads going on, which one to post? I'll pick this one.

I think the overall changes are very positive and will keep the RDX fresh until its FMC. Here are my takes...

- I was hoping it would get the DI V6 engine, but the new Accord V6 with the 3/6 VMC 3 is better than the older V6 VMC 2 it had. A positive change but could have been better.
- Kept the 6AT. The 9AT might have given it better FE but the 6AT is without issues.
- The interior, specifically on the Advance is a little plain but adequate
- The Seat heating and cooling are buttons, not on the touch screen like the TLX. Many will like this, but it does not specifically say if the seats (and A/C and Heater) are linked to the remote start. In otherwords, will the ventilated seats turn on automatically when it is hot like the TLX? I suspect not. That functionality is probably in the computer and buttons are probably not controllable that way.
- No mention of MVH reductions like I was hoping. No mention of injected foam like the TLX. They do mention stiffer strut towers, but that may not lead to a quieter ride.
- Argh, the wheels. Who the heck is designing wheels for Acura lately? Maybe we can chip in and get them an eye exam. Maybe we can start a crowd source project. 'Help get an eye exam for Acura's Wheel Designer' That might get Acura's attention.

I still think it is a good update and I'll want to drive it before I decide on my next car. But I think the TLX Advance might be more to my liking than the RDX Advance. Yes two different cars, but never had a CUV. Might be nice for a change. Easy to get in and out and good storage in the back.
The new rdx come with active front and rear engine mounts which supposed to improved nvh
Old 02-15-2015, 06:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Chaptorial
^

Great post with a lot of good info. If I was to purchase the new RDX this spring it would be with the Advance package but I wasn't really happy with the wheels. Unfortunately the "optional" wheels don't look that much better. Will have to see in person to truly decide.

Looks to be similar to the MDX rear LED's.

And I bet they cheated out with incandescent brake bulbs like,the MDX, which to me is a huge disappointment.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:10 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas
The engine is a huge improvement, despite being marginal on paper.
RDX moves from Pre-2013 Accord V6 to 2013+ Accord V6
Temple of VTEC Rumors and News - TOV Dyno Test: 2013 Accord V6 Touring
RDX should feel noticably faster.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:55 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
I agree that the wheels are horrible....Acua should look at the Lincoln MKC's wheel....STUNNING!
Yes those are nice wheels. Kind of hard to screw up wheels honestly. But Acura has been putting in extra effort to screw up something that should be easy. Over achieving! Well, maybe they will look better in person.

Originally Posted by VinceCL
I'm kinda liking these wheels and wonder how they would look on a 2016 white RDX Advance?

Actually those look like they might be nice, but .5" narrower than the RDX wheels. Assuming they are 18" optional wheels and not the base 17's

Originally Posted by xedap1998
The new rdx come with active front and rear engine mounts which supposed to improved nvh
Probably more to go with the new 3/6 VCM. So it might make the VCM less noticeable, but won't do much for road noise. I was hoping for the same kind of treatments the TLX got. And maybe the ILX too.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:39 AM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by corduroygt
The engine is a huge improvement, despite being marginal on paper.
RDX moves from Pre-2013 Accord V6 to 2013+ Accord V6
Temple of VTEC Rumors and News - TOV Dyno Test: 2013 Accord V6 Touring
RDX should feel noticably faster.
I'm not counting on that...why are you?
Old 02-16-2015, 12:57 AM
Pro

I don't get all the wheel talk. Coming from Volvo, their wheel selection 'poster' looks like that's their second business! Easily a dozen models in each size...maybe more. They are now more consistent with what is standard; but it's not unusual to find two or three different styles if you look at a dozen new vehicles.

Even if Acura offers something spiffy as standard, 'you' will be driving the same as everyone else. Wouldn't hurt them to offer 3-4 styles in standard size...even carrying over some styles that have proven to be popular.

I think it would be interesting to get an insider's look at the wheel supply business.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:33 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas
^ To be honest I'm not loving the wheels on the '16 RDX either - however that in itself doesn't necessarily represent a deal breaker (for me).
What this vehicle needs is a set of great looking 19 inch wheels, not those disappointing 18's. Wheel sizes of up to 20 inches in diameter are available on the Lincoln MKC (for example), a direct competitor vehicle to the RDX. I guess Acura doesn't really give a damn (?), as the RDX sells very well despite the fact that its wheels are lacking in the appearance department.

On the topic of wheels.. I'm surprised at the amount of visible wheel-well that exists above the tires on the RDX. It looks like (to the casual viewer) there's not enough wheel/tire to fill the available space. It's not a flattering look, IMO. I'm guessing this is a typical Honda/Acura design element on their SUVs?

Name:  11-2016-acura-rdx-chicago-1_zps5cfb3690.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  36.0 KB
Old 02-16-2015, 10:57 AM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Those wheels are weird, they have 5 grey spokes, then those weird silver V shaped things that look like nothing special, also, look at the space between the caliper and the wheel, could easily upgrade to bigger brakes with all that space in there. 20" wheels and brembo brakes with bigger discs would make it look much better.

Speaking of mods, I wonder if the 2016 grille would fit a 2013?

Last edited by Joe Las Vegas; 02-16-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:04 AM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
I noticed that the brake calipers, at least on these pre-production display models, no longer have the black "ACURA" caliper covers like that were on my '14 RDX Tech.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:27 AM
Advanced

On the subject of 2016 model-year changes on the RDX.. despite the considerable number of feature additions that Acura have made on the '16 RDX, segment competitor-vehicle forums are already pointing out that the new RDX will be missing features such as heated steering wheel (available on all/most Hyundai & Kia vehicles), automatic high beams, power-folding mirrors, adjustable suspension and adjustable (sliding/reclining) rear seats. So... is Acura not doing their homework, or are they purposely limiting the features on the RDX to keep the price down, or to keep the vehicle below the MDX in terms of equipment/feature content?
Old 02-16-2015, 12:34 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
One, the RDX sells very well so I'm sure Acura doesn't feel it has to match each and every bell and whistle of competitors. They seem to capture the value customer that wants a quality vehicle with a quality drive and some luxury at a price point that is thousands less than the competition.

Now you could put heated steering wheel, heated radio volume knob, heated door handles etc. in a Hyundai or a Kia and they still wouldn't approach the quality drive that you get with the RDX or the pep from the V6. Or the quality of the leather, switchgear, etc. They are very nice vehicles when comparing to Toyota, Chevy, Ford and others but are not in the same class as Acura. Acura may be at the lower end of the luxury group but they are in it. Hyundai is not.

As far as wheels go, except for a few of the people that frequent here, I don't think most people that buy the RDX care that much about the wheels. As long as they are alloy and look decent they are fine with me. If I really cared that much I would put my money down and buy aftermarket. I like the 2013-15 wheels fine and the new ones I'm sure will be ok with the vast majority of buyers.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:23 PM
CBP TLX

IMO, the lower-end brands have to cram those features in to make their product more attractive. Regardless of what is in a "lux'd up" Hyundai/Kia I just don't see myself owning one. Lexus or Infiniti? Mmmm maybe. Hyundai/Kia? Nope. Not even in the same class... but hey that's just me.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:39 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by geocord
One, the RDX sells very well so I'm sure Acura doesn't feel it has to match each and every bell and whistle of competitors. They seem to capture the value customer that wants a quality vehicle with a quality drive and some luxury at a price point that is thousands less than the competition.

Now you could put heated steering wheel, heated radio volume knob, heated door handles etc. in a Hyundai or a Kia and they still wouldn't approach the quality drive that you get with the RDX or the pep from the V6. Or the quality of the leather, switchgear, etc. They are very nice vehicles when comparing to Toyota, Chevy, Ford and others but are not in the same class as Acura. Acura may be at the lower end of the luxury group but they are in it. Hyundai is not.

As far as wheels go, except for a few of the people that frequent here, I don't think most people that buy the RDX care that much about the wheels. As long as they are alloy and look decent they are fine with me. If I really cared that much I would put my money down and buy aftermarket. I like the 2013-15 wheels fine and the new ones I'm sure will be ok with the vast majority of buyers.
^ Geocord, the point I was attempting to make about the heated steering wheel is that virtually all of the RDX's segment competitor vehicles offer a heated steering wheel - and that it is becoming such a common & desired feature that it can even be found in more plebeian vehicles/segments that sit below that of where Acura plays. And besides - the '15 TLX can be had with a heated steering wheel.. why can't the '16 RDX? I have a heated steering wheel in my 2011 Cadillac CTS, and believe me, with the winters we've been having lately I've really come to appreciate this feature - and I would like to have it in my next vehicle as well.

You don't have to convince me on the goodness and value of Acura products - I'm already convinced of that, and I'm seriously considering buying a '16 RDX Advance. My decision would be made far easier however if Acura didn't choose to limit the number of available luxury/tech/convenience features - items that I'm willing to pay extra for.

As for the wheels.. personally I'm okay with the overall looks of the RDX, but many complain that its looks are bland, boring. With that in mind, the last thing the '16 RDX needs is unattractive wheels - wheels that would otherwise have worked to improve the vehicle's appearance.

I suspect at least a small percentage of Acura personnel peruse these forum pages. I think it's a good idea for forum members to express their view on the 'hits' AND the 'misses' when something new/updated is introduced.

Last edited by rbreeze; 02-16-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:54 PM
6th Gear

automatic high beams

>>On the subject of 2016 model-year changes the new RDX will be missing features such as... automatic high beams<<

New led headlights and no automatic high beams? That doesn't make sense.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by marose1
>>On the subject of 2016 model-year changes the new RDX will be missing features such as... automatic high beams<<

^ The Acura RLX, MDX, TLX, etc. also have latest design Jewel Eye LED headlights, but to the best of my knowledge none of these vehicles has automatic high beams. It appears it's a technology/feature that Acura has not yet adopted.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:02 PM
CBP TLX

My Acura has HID headlights and I rarely us my highbeams. Only to flash other motorist. They are very bright. The LED's are just as bright.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah for the most part, some decent changes to '16 RDX including the rear seat vents, color multi-info display in the dash and some LED lights. Wheel choices for this vehicle still sucks for sure. For my '13 RDX I installed custom 22" chrome rims which is the maximum size this vehicle can handle successfully. I'm hoping the navigation will have at least a 3D view instead of the dated top down view on current models.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:46 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I am one of the people complaining about the apparent wheel options on the 2016. The wheels were awful prior as well but I honestly don't think these are much better.

We were sold on the Lexus NX for a short while but some of the missing features disappointed us as well as the narrow seats on the F Sport. We are kind of feeling that about the Acura RDX as well now. So much so we may even check out the new generation Ford Edge (yes, I can't even believe I typed that). It has everything the Acura and Lexus have plus more as far as features - forward 360 camera, panoramic moonroof, heated rear seats, reclining rear seats, heated steering wheel (Lexus NX has), decent looking rims (up to 20"), self parking feature, rear motion activated power tailgate. Of course there's the potential reliability problem (reputation) and less of a warranty to consider ... And as stated companies like Ford almost have to include these features to compete, but I guess I'm saying it's maybe working for us. We will at least take a hard look. Ford's cooled seats also generally are actually cooled versus ventilated (Acura's are ventilated).

I guess what I'm saying is the missing heated steering wheel and very mediocre wheel options, while not a big deal, are causing some apprehension. We might have to wait until Fall and see what's all shaking. Audi's Q5 revamp should be out then too. There are so many options in this segment!
The following users liked this post:
rbreeze (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 06:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by rbreeze
On the subject of 2016 model-year changes on the RDX.. despite the considerable number of feature additions that Acura have made on the '16 RDX, segment competitor-vehicle forums are already pointing out that the new RDX will be missing features such as heated steering wheel (available on all/most Hyundai & Kia vehicles), automatic high beams, power-folding mirrors, adjustable suspension and adjustable (sliding/reclining) rear seats. So... is Acura not doing their homework, or are they purposely limiting the features on the RDX to keep the price down, or to keep the vehicle below the MDX in terms of equipment/feature content?
Heated steering is the only feature I think people would weigh heavily, folding mirrors, maybe if you live in a city or park in a tight garage. Also keep in mind that the majority of cars sold in most segments are not fully loaded cars. Even look at the online inventory and see how many Advance models there are for TLX compared to Tech or Base. In my 50 mile area of 256 cars, less than 50 are Advance.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:12 AM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Any word if the 2016 will have CarPlay? I'm assuming it will since I've seen Honda ads on TV touting CarPlay in the Civic and other vehicles but I don't see any mention in the press release about it.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Husker4theSpurs
I am one of the people complaining about the apparent wheel options on the 2016. The wheels were awful prior as well but I honestly don't think these are much better.

We were sold on the Lexus NX for a short while but some of the missing features disappointed us as well as the narrow seats on the F Sport. We are kind of feeling that about the Acura RDX as well now. So much so we may even check out the new generation Ford Edge (yes, I can't even believe I typed that). It has everything the Acura and Lexus have plus more as far as features - forward 360 camera, panoramic moonroof, heated rear seats, reclining rear seats, heated steering wheel (Lexus NX has), decent looking rims (up to 20"), self parking feature, rear motion activated power tailgate. Of course there's the potential reliability problem (reputation) and less of a warranty to consider ... And as stated companies like Ford almost have to include these features to compete, but I guess I'm saying it's maybe working for us. We will at least take a hard look. Ford's cooled seats also generally are actually cooled versus ventilated (Acura's are ventilated).

I guess what I'm saying is the missing heated steering wheel and very mediocre wheel options, while not a big deal, are causing some apprehension. We might have to wait until Fall and see what's all shaking. Audi's Q5 revamp should be out then too. There are so many options in this segment!
On paper the Edge looks solid. Better than solid, actually. The Sport trim with the 2.7L EcoBoost should offer impressive performance. If they get the refinement right, all versions should do well.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Husker4....have you considered the Lincoln MKC?
Old 02-17-2015, 06:46 PM
6th Gear

I went to the Acura Dealer today, and he contradicted my understanding concerning two features of the 2016 RDX MMC:

1. Dealer- Engine has direct injection (my understanding is multi-port injection)
2. Dealer- Auto Transmission has EIGHT speeds (my understanding is SIX speeds)
Old 02-17-2015, 07:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree, the Edge will be nice and offer a lot and the Lincoln version will offer even more I'd guess...2016 Hyundai Tuscon also looks sharp from pics I've seen for Geneva....US version will be at NY....

I have a heated steering wheel, heated and cooled seats, heated rear seats, adjustable pedals, rear sun shade, self park, etc. on my car and it is really nice. You get used to that heated steering wheel real quick in this weather and it heats up fast, just a few seconds....I'm more of a Jeep or 4Runner person but I also want all the creature comforts and tech and looking at all the new mid to small suv offerings coming out...
Old 02-17-2015, 10:13 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
Husker4....have you considered the Lincoln MKC?
I test drove it. I like its looks alright as well as the features for the money but the big problem was the back seat - very tight back there IMHO and my head was pushing on the ceiling and I'm 5'11". Again, great feature set though. Not sure I love the design language on Lincoln overall but it's getting better. Still feels like a bit of an old person's car but maybe that's old bias coming out.

We likely are waiting for the Fall at a minimum. That way we can check out the Lincoln MKX too (Ford Edge luxury version) although I'm not loving the grill on it. Sounds like it will have a great stereo option but otherwise I'm not sure what it offers over the Edge besides maybe LEDs and a bit more upscale (obviously). I worry business-wise for Ford that it isn't distinguishing its Lincoln models from the Ford models features-wise.

We currently have a 2014 Acura MDX and a 2013 Ford C Max and would be replacing the Ford. We considered some AWD sedans as well including the Acura TLX but again missing some features especially when considering something like the Lincoln MKZ and even the Ford Fusion. Basically the same deal as comparing the RDX to the MKX and Edge applies to the TLX versus the MKZ and Fusion feature wise.

Too many choices! Waiting till Fall will give the TLX a chance to add a heated steering wheel and maybe heated rear seats and get some bugs out of the 9 speed? Also will know more about the Audi Q5 as well and maybe the Lexus NX will be more readily available as well as adjusting some options since the Lexus RX re-design will also be a more known commodity. Lexus held back some option from the NX in the USA to keep from cannibalizing sales from the RX. Plus the Edge will have SYNC 3 available In the fall as well as the late arriving adaptive cruise control that they seem to have problems implementing right now.

I love autos. These decisions are getting more and more tough over the years!

Last edited by Husker4theSpurs; 02-17-2015 at 10:17 PM.
rbreeze (02-18-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 10:14 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I went to the Acura Dealer today, and he contradicted my understanding concerning two features of the 2016 RDX MMC:

1. Dealer- Engine has direct injection (my understanding is multi-port injection)
Who are you going to believe? Your dealership or Acurazine?

1. The V6 is the multi-port injected engine in the V6 Accord.
2. Sure is has 8 speeds if you count reverse and stop as speeds. Otherwise it is 6. Same as the current transmission. Honestly I think this is a plus. I haven't heard of any issues with this transmission and if they put the 9HP in the RDX at the next FMC they will have a few years to work out the issues.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:47 AM
Advanced

--------------------------------------------------
Too many choices! Waiting till Fall will give the TLX a chance to add a heated steering wheel and maybe heated rear seats and get some bugs out of the 9 speed? Also will know more about the Audi Q5 as well and maybe the Lexus NX will be more readily available as well as adjusting some options since the Lexus RX re-design will also be a more known commodity.
--------------------------------------------------
^ Husker, as info.. the TLX that's built for/shipped to Canada gets a heated steering wheel as well as heated rear seats, both items included with the Technology Package. Maybe for m-y 2016 Acura will add these items to the TLX built for the U.S. market.

I'm in agreement with your assessment of the Lincoln MKC, where its biggest issue is a tight rear seat. As well, I find rear seat entry & exit on the MKC overly challenging (even for average-sized adults) due to the arrangement/size of the rear door openings and the design of the non-flat rear floor/foot-well areas.

Besides the '16 RDX, like you I will also be be considering /having a close look at the new Ford Edge as well as new Lincoln MKX. I will be looking at both of these vehicles, as well as the '16 RDX, tomorrow at the Toronto Auto Show.

I'm guessing the redesigned '16 Lexus RX as well as all-new '16 Cadillac SRX will be revealed at the New York Auto Show in early April. I'll be interested in seeing these vehicles. I'll also be very interested in seeing the redesigned Audi Q5, but there are rumors it won't be showing up until the first half of calendar year 2016.

As you, I will probably not buy anything until at least the fall of this year; by that time a lot more will be known about what's available, as well as all the pluses & minuses of the new vehicles.
My strong preference is for a (larger-sized) compact luxury SUV/CUV with an overall length of 183-185 inches, which specifically includes vehicles such as RDX, Q5 and X3. Based on looks, feature content, etc. I could be convinced to go with a slightly longer/larger vehicle, such as the new Edge (188" in length) and new MKX (190" in length) - which are coincidentally the lengths of the current RX and SRX (respectively).

Last edited by rbreeze; 02-18-2015 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:10 AM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Already mentioned, but as usual the dealer is wrong.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:20 AM
Pro

^
My strong preference is for a (larger-sized) compact luxury SUV/CUV with an overall length of 183-185 inches, which specifically includes vehicles such as RDX, Q5 and X3. Based on looks, feature content, etc. I could be convinced to go with a slightly longer/larger vehicle, such as the new Edge (188" in length) and new MKX (190" in length) - which are coincidentally the lengths of the current RX and SRX (respectively).
Is the Volvo XC60 on your radar? IF we were to stay in the slightly larger compact group you mention, a return to the XC60 could be in the cards for us. As it stands now, I'm thinking slightly smaller for the next ute; so I'm very interested in chopping a foot or so off those upper limits you mention. Our townhouse garage ain't gettin any bigger!
Old 02-18-2015, 09:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
I like the changes to the RDX, and while we've thought about downsizing our MDX I think we'll most likely trade into a lightly used 2014-15 MDX in a year or so for the same price or less than a new RDX - I think the MDX is still the best bang for your buck when it comes to Acura
Old 02-18-2015, 10:06 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CoachRick
Is the Volvo XC60 on your radar? IF we were to stay in the slightly larger compact group you mention, a return to the XC60 could be in the cards for us. As it stands now, I'm thinking slightly smaller for the next ute; so I'm very interested in chopping a foot or so off those upper limits you mention. Our townhouse garage ain't gettin any bigger!
^ The XC60 hasn't really been on my radar (to be honest I haven't been completely enthralled with the looks of it), but at 182.8" in length the vehicle is certainly within the slightly larger compact group we're speaking of. For us (my wife and I) this tweener/"just right" larger compact group is the ideal size of luxury SUV/CUV, and it's no surprise that Porsche designed/introduced its latest offering, the Macan, to fit right smack in the middle of it (at 184.3" in length). If money/cost was no object I would very likely be buying a fully-equipped Macan.

I really wanted Acura to tick all the necessary boxes with the new/refreshed '16 RDX, but the apparent lack of a heated steering wheel, the disappointing wheels (their general appearance and insufficient size) as well as a couple of other items (such as lack of sliding and/or reclining rear seats) is giving me reason to consider other new vehicles for m-y 2016. It's silly when you think of it: the all-new '16 Honda Pilot will be available with a heated steering wheel; Acura is the luxury division of Honda, yet Acura have (apparently) chosen not to include (even as an option) a heated steering wheel for its heavily refreshed '16 RDX. Makes you wonder what they're thinking (smoking?) at Acura. It has become a VERY competitive automotive market, and the buyer has many options. Acura shouldn't be holding back on available features for their line of luxury vehicles, especially when buyers are willing to pay extra for the extras. Acura can do this and still be more affordable /charge less (remain the value leader) as compared to their principle competition.

Last edited by rbreeze; 02-18-2015 at 10:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rbreeze:
Comfy (02-23-2015), wildeklave (02-18-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 01:38 PM
6th Gear

^ The XC60 hasn't really been on my radar (to be honest I haven't been completely enthralled with the looks of it), but at 182.8" in length the vehicle is certainly within the slightly larger compact group we're speaking of. For us (my wife and I) this tweener/"just right" larger compact group is the ideal size of luxury SUV/CUV, and it's no surprise that Porsche designed/introduced its latest offering, the Macan, to fit right smack in the middle of it (at 184.3" in length). If money/cost was no object I would very likely be buying a fully-equipped Macan.

I really wanted Acura to tick all the necessary boxes with the new/refreshed '16 RDX, but the apparent lack of a heated steering wheel, the disappointing wheels (their general appearance and insufficient size) as well as a couple of other items (such as lack of sliding and/or reclining rear seats) is giving me reason to consider other new vehicles for m-y 2016. It's silly when you think of it: the all-new '16 Honda Pilot will be available with a heated steering wheel; Acura is the luxury division of Honda, yet Acura have (apparently) chosen not to include (even as an option) a heated steering wheel for its heavily refreshed '16 RDX. Makes you wonder what they're thinking (smoking?) at Acura. It has become a VERY competitive automotive market, and the buyer has many options. Acura shouldn't be holding back on available features for their line of luxury vehicles, especially when buyers are willing to pay extra for the extras. Acura can do this and still be more affordable /charge less (remain the value leader) as compared to their principle competition.
I agree! Acura is the luxury brand and yes, it makes sense to make a CSUV 5-seater and an SUV 7-seater, but ALL of the luxury features (except possibly engine size) should be available on both models, if not standard, then as an option.
Comfy (02-23-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 02:44 PM
Pro

I have to say it...Rain-sensing wipers and Automatic High Beams are two more reasons I feel we have at least one foot in that proverbial 'handbasket' . Really? How much more detached do we want to be?
Sculldog3 (02-18-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 03:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CoachRick
I have to say it...Rain-sensing wipers and Automatic High Beams are two more reasons I feel we have at least one foot in that proverbial 'handbasket' . Really? How much more detached do we want to be?
^ Ha-ha! As in.. "going to hell in a handbasket"? Actually I'm quite a fan of rain-sensing wipers (had the feature in 2 previous cars) and happy to see this being available on the '16 RDX. As for automatic high beams.. living in the city I'd hardly ever use/need the feature, but I bet those people who live out in rural areas - who drive a lot at night, mostly on 2-lane/2-way secondary roads & highways - would really like to have this feature working for them.

Last edited by rbreeze; 02-18-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
^ Ha-ha! As in.. "going to hell in a handbasket"? Actually I'm quite a fan of rain-sensing wipers (had the feature in 2 previous cars) and happy to see this being available on the '16 RDX. As for automatic high beams.. living in the city I'd hardly ever use/need the feature, but I bet those people who live out in rural areas - who drive a lot at night, mostly on 2-lane/2-way secondary roads & highways - would really like to have this feature working for them.
I agree on the rain-sensing wipers, but auto high beams are quite overrated in my opinion. I had them on my last BMW, and they simply don't work as advertised in any environment. Constantly overriding the feature to avoid blinding oncoming traffic or to see properly on a deserted road was quite frustrating, and I was happy to be rid of them. Now adaptive headlights, on the other hand, are a clever and useful feature I fully endorse. Being able to see around corners is not at all the gimmick I expected it to be.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Direct injection or not?

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Already mentioned, but as usual the dealer is wrong.
I have been watching this thread for a while and it has been very informative. I was waiting for the RDX announcement and I am quite happy with the new additions.

Soon after the announcement, I listened to the announcement from Mike Accavitti, Acura Division Senior Vice President and General Manager on Youtube:

I clearly remembered that he mentionned the new 3.5 l I-VTEC Direct Injection engine.

Now, when I listen to it again, the part where he says Direct Injection is partly muted. If you listen carefuly, you car hear his saying it. Go to 10:45 and listen to the next seconds.

Since it has been muted on the official Acura Youtube channel, we can assume that it is NOT direct injection.

But the dealer is right, it was originally announced as Direct Injection.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 Model Year Changes