2016 Acura RDX - luxury or just an expensive honda?

Old 05-03-2016, 02:18 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
There is nothing wrong with driving a tarted up Honda. Most Lexus have Toyota counterparts and - when my 91 year old mom was given a Toyota rental while her Lexus was being serviced - she said that everything felt so familiar and it was almost as nice as the Lexus.

There are few similarities between the CR-V and the RDX. The drivetrain is different, the fit and finish is superior on the Acura and the driving feel is different. Why should anyone care if it on the same (or similar) platform?
Old 05-03-2016, 02:30 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
There is nothing wrong with driving a tarted up Honda.
There are few similarities between the CR-V and the RDX. The drivetrain is different, the fit and finish is superior on the Acura and the driving feel is different. Why should anyone care if it on the same (or similar) platform?
Exactly, that's what I feel too. Having driven both vehicles prior to purchasing I decided on the RDX based on its merits and not the Acura badge itself. (Even though having a premium badge doesn't hurt ).
Old 05-03-2016, 02:31 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
There is nothing wrong with driving a tarted up Honda. Most Lexus have Toyota counterparts and - when my 91 year old mom was given a Toyota rental while her Lexus was being serviced - she said that everything felt so familiar and it was almost as nice as the Lexus.

I totally agree. My son drives a Lexus GS350 and it is nothing more than a glorified camry.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:35 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by snorf
I totally agree. My son drives a Lexus GS350 and it is nothing more than a glorified camry.
Really?
C'mon!
A GS350 is a totally different vehicle than a Camry.Even the ES350 is a much better,smoother,quieter and more comfortable riding vehicle than the Camry.
BTW,the new generation '13+ ES350 is now on a Avalon platform.
I've owned both Lexus and Toyota models.There's a difference.

Last edited by colt427; 05-03-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:30 PM
Racer

His GS350 is a 2012. The new camry offers technology that wasn't even available in 2012. A lot of his technology is essentially for show as it really serves no purpose. His screen does lots of things, but of little or no real value. As to the ride - IMHO they ride about the same. His GS350 has more power than the 6 cyl camry, but it also has about 35 more hp. But in reality I am not the least bit impressed with his 60,000? camry.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:40 PM
Racer

His GS350 is a 2012. The new camry offers technology that wasn't even available in 2012. A lot of his technology is essentially for show as it really serves no purpose. His screen does lots of things, but of little or no real value. As to the ride - IMHO they ride about the same. His GS350 has more power than the 6 cyl camry, but it also has about 35 more hp. But in reality I am not the least bit impressed with his 60,000? camry.
A GS 350 is not a Camry in any way other than it has 4 wheels.
Direct injection, more sports oriented, more luxury, maybe AWD in your son's model etc.
The pre '13 ES 350 was Camry based but much more luxurious,less. The ES ride is smoother and quieter and more options available.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:48 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Guys. One is FWD and the other is RWD. Big difference for those that matter. It's not just electronic technology. There's much more involved in the suspension, NVH levels, materials used, overall sense of refinement and quietness.
A little bit more difference than between CRV and RDX if I may say. That's what this thread is all about.

Last edited by Comfy; 05-03-2016 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Comfy
Guys. One is FWD and the other is RWD. Big difference for those that matter. It's not just electronic technology. There's much more involved in the suspension, NVH levels, materials used, overall sense of refinement and quietness.
A little bit more difference than between CRV and RDX if I may say. That's what this thread is all about.
Yes, RWD too.
I agree with your CRV and RDX point.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Aren't the camry and gs on completely different platforms? Like as you mentioned, one is a transverse platform and the other longitudinal. Not to mention they don't share any panels and probably VERY VERY little parts.

Also as you said, on that token, the crv is much closer to an rdx, than the camry is to the gs. There is nothing wrong with sharing platforms across different brands, but it bothers me when there is not enough differentiation. The rdx (here in Canada) goes for almost double the price of a crv, and honestly, I don't feel like it is worth it. But that is just me. Had they retained the SHAWD (like they should have) and kept the sporty nature, I would have been in complete support. I think the new rdx is really attractive, but I did drive one and was very disappointed.

Anyways, as they say...opinions are like.........
Old 05-04-2016, 03:58 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Aren't the camry and gs on completely different platforms? Like as you mentioned, one is a transverse platform and the other longitudinal. Not to mention they don't share any panels and probably VERY VERY little parts.

Also as you said, on that token, the crv is much closer to an rdx, than the camry is to the gs. There is nothing wrong with sharing platforms across different brands, but it bothers me when there is not enough differentiation. The rdx (here in Canada) goes for almost double the price of a crv, and honestly, I don't feel like it is worth it. But that is just me. Had they retained the SHAWD (like they should have) and kept the sporty nature, I would have been in complete support. I think the new rdx is really attractive, but I did drive one and was very disappointed.

Anyways, as they say...opinions are like.........
Not sure where is "The rdx (here in Canada) goes for almost double the price of a crv" coming from, a CR-V touring MSRP is 37090 and a RDX Elite is 46790, even if you want to compare lower trim, I would say RDX vs CR-V ex (you cannot compare a RDX with a CR-V lx, since even the RDX base model has so many features that only CR-V ex+ level has), is 42190 vs 32290.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CrimsonElan
Not sure where is "The rdx (here in Canada) goes for almost double the price of a crv" coming from, a CR-V touring MSRP is 37090 and a RDX Elite is 46790, even if you want to compare lower trim, I would say RDX vs CR-V ex (you cannot compare a RDX with a CR-V lx, since even the RDX base model has so many features that only CR-V ex+ level has), is 42190 vs 32290.
The rdx goes upto 52k, not 46k, and I did say "almost" double. However you want to cut it, I don't think the rdx is 10-14k nicer than a crv, and certainly at that price point, could find much nicer options (would even consider year old used cars for that price over a new rdx).

This isn't intended to attack the rdx, becuse it is not a bad car at all. Truth be told, I even considered leasing a brand new elite a couple weeks ago, but the driving dynamics and suspension softness instantly cut it off the list for me, coupled with a few things on the interior that I could not accept in 2016. Now if they gave shawd back and retuned the suspension, I would be all over it. A sweet V6, good handling, and very nice looks? What is there to hate?
Old 05-04-2016, 06:28 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The rdx goes upto 52k, not 46k, and I did say "almost" double. However you want to cut it, I don't think the rdx is 10-14k nicer than a crv, and certainly at that price point, could find much nicer options (would even consider year old used cars for that price over a new rdx).

This isn't intended to attack the rdx, becuse it is not a bad car at all. Truth be told, I even considered leasing a brand new elite a couple weeks ago, but the driving dynamics and suspension softness instantly cut it off the list for me, coupled with a few things on the interior that I could not accept in 2016. Now if they gave shawd back and retuned the suspension, I would be all over it. A sweet V6, good handling, and very nice looks? What is there to hate?
Again a CR-V touring MSRP goes up to 40k+ if you add freight. 52k/40k = 130%, not sure how is it "almost" double the price.
Yes, before my 2016 RDX I was driving a CR-V (I still miss something on it after I got my RDX, such as double deck cargo, hydraulic steering, ...) and we have multiple BMW leases (328 then 535 then x3 35i)in house, I do admit x3 35i is more fun to drive than RDX, but I do not want to have 2 leases at same time, which does not make any sense financially, also I will never purchase a German vehicle, and with the same feature, x3 35i is at least 15k more than RDX, and I do not think it is 15k nicer than a RDX.

Last edited by CrimsonElan; 05-04-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CrimsonElan
Again a CR-V touring MSRP goes up to 40k+ if you add freight. 52k/40k = 130%, not sure how is it "almost" double the price.
Yes, before my 2016 RDX I was driving a CR-V (I still miss something on it after I got my RDX, such as double deck cargo, hydraulic steering, ...) and we have multiple BMW leases (328 then 535 then x3 35i)in house, I do admit x3 35i is more fun to drive than RDX, but I do not want to have 2 leases at same time, which does not make any sense financially, also I will never purchase a German vehicle, and with the same feature, x3 35i is at least 15k more than RDX, and I do not think it is 15k nicer than a RDX.
I am not really going to fight about wording, I thought the crv was cheaper than that tbh (also would never pay that much for a crv either tbh). I made my point, and you have 150% the right to stand by yours.

What everyone looks for in a car is obviously very different. Some people could not give any less of a shit about sportiness. They simply want a V6 and smooth ride, and possibly a couple minor frills and that is good enough. Other people want sport, big engines...etc.

Originally, I really hated the new rdx. But I don't have a right to hate it really, there is a lot to like about it. All I can say is that it simply does not work for me. If my wife wanted one in the future, I would not hesitate to buy her one. But for ME, it does not work, and that really counts for nothing for everyone else.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:36 AM
Racer

I am not really going to fight about wording, I thought the crv was cheaper than that tbh (also would never pay that much for a crv either tbh). I made my point, and you have 150% the right to stand by yours.

What everyone looks for in a car is obviously very different. Some people could not give any less of a shit about sportiness. They simply want a V6 and smooth ride, and possibly a couple minor frills and that is good enough. Other people want sport, big engines...etc.

Originally, I really hated the new rdx. But I don't have a right to hate it really, there is a lot to like about it. All I can say is that it simply does not work for me. If my wife wanted one in the future, I would not hesitate to buy her one. But for ME, it does not work, and that really counts for nothing for everyone else.

You summed up my thoughts on cars pretty well. As I previously posted, I think of my son's GS350 as nothing but a glorified camry. It's rear wheel drive - big deal - almost all cars used to be rear wheel drive. It still gets you to the same location. My wife chose the RDX and I'm fine with that. I would not even have considered the RDX. There's nothing really "wrong" with it, but it's not a car I'd have shopped for. It has good power with a 6 cyl and a mostly smooth ride (I hear the rear clunking when going over some bigger bumps). It would be nice if it didn't have the wind noise, but that's been a Honda/acura feature for many many years - perhaps a source of pride for Honda to the point they won't get rid of it. It has some nice tech features - most of which I don't use, but it lacks some tech features that are in mainstream sedans that would be nice to have. The interior materials are rather cheap for a car in this price range, too. In my eyes it is an upgraded CR-V, but I pretty much knew that when we bought it. It's good transportation, but in reality it's a soccer mom car. I don't know who all it appeals to, but it was the car of choice for my wife when she turned 60.

Last edited by snorf; 05-05-2016 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:09 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally, I really hated the new rdx. But I don't have a right to hate it really, there is a lot to like about it. All I can say is that it simply does not work for me.
I figured that was the case. At some point I also wondered if your username could be more appropriate if it were "MKC10" . But to each his own. It's great that we have so many choices now a days.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:11 PM
Suzuka Master

You summed up my thoughts on cars pretty well. As I previously posted, I think of my son's GS350 as nothing but a glorified camry. It's rear wheel drive - big deal - almost all cars used to be rear wheel drive. It still gets you to the same location. My wife chose the RDX and I'm fine with that. I would not even have considered the RDX. There's nothing really "wrong" with it, but it's not a car I'd have shopped for. It has good power with a 6 cyl and a mostly smooth ride (I hear the rear clunking when going over some bigger bumps). It would be nice if it didn't have the wind noise, but that's been a Honda/acura feature for many many years - perhaps a source of pride for Honda to the point they won't get rid of it. It has some nice tech features - most of which I don't use, but it lacks some tech features that are in mainstream sedans that would be nice to have. The interior materials are rather cheap for a car in this price range, too. In my eyes it is an upgraded CR-V, but I pretty much knew that when we bought it. It's good transportation, but in reality it's a soccer mom car. I don't know who all it appeals to, but it was the car of choice for my wife when she turned 60.

Literally agree with everything you have said 100%, and is exactly my sentiments, especially about feeling like an upgraded crv. But people like their rdx's, so it really does not affect me if they choose to buy one.

I figured that was the case. At some point I also wondered if your username could be more appropriate if it were "MKC10" . But to each his own. It's great that we have so many choices now a days.
Oh come on! I only mentioned it like 3 times on 3 different but relevant posts! To be honest, if Acura wants to take this space seriously, they need to bench mark the mkc (and lexus nx). It has a lot of features that I think HAVE TO BE on the next gen rdx and drives almost as well as a q5, but without the price tag.

At the end of the day, would we call it a dressed up ford escape (and nx as a dressed up rav4)? I don't know, there is just the intangibles about how a car makes you "feel" that applies differently to everyone else. With the RDX, I could see the crv base easily, but if I never knew the nx, rx, mkx, mkc...etc were based on econobox roots, I would have never known. That is what really divides it for me.

Again, not here to put the rdx down, just using it to prove a point.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:40 PM
Racer

I just got back from a week in Missouri. My rental was a Kia Optima. A friend owns one, but this is the first time I've actually spent much time in one. The base model. I miss the cross traffic alert, but that was about it. The steering was great, but, then it was a sedan and not an SUV. The biggest shocker to me by far was how quiet the car was! No wind noise at all. None. Our RDX - like Hondas and acuras for many years - has a lot of wind noise from the A-pillars. It sounds like the window is opened a crack. (I've driven 4 2016 RDXs and every one of them had the same noise.) Two cigarette lighters (aka power supplies) in the front were nice, but I didn't use either of them. I also liked the lid over the USB/power supply area. It was as nice as the one in the RDX, but was spring loaded - push it to in to open it, tap it once to close it. I found that to be a nice feature. It really makes me wonder how/why Honda can't/won't produce a car without a lot of wind noise.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:27 PM
Suzuka Master

I just got back from a week in Missouri. My rental was a Kia Optima. A friend owns one, but this is the first time I've actually spent much time in one. The base model. I miss the cross traffic alert, but that was about it. The steering was great, but, then it was a sedan and not an SUV. The biggest shocker to me by far was how quiet the car was! No wind noise at all. None. Our RDX - like Hondas and acuras for many years - has a lot of wind noise from the A-pillars. It sounds like the window is opened a crack. (I've driven 4 2016 RDXs and every one of them had the same noise.) Two cigarette lighters (aka power supplies) in the front were nice, but I didn't use either of them. I also liked the lid over the USB/power supply area. It was as nice as the one in the RDX, but was spring loaded - push it to in to open it, tap it once to close it. I found that to be a nice feature. It really makes me wonder how/why Honda can't/won't produce a car without a lot of wind noise.
The wind noise is also something I really can not understand either. Even the 2016 mdx I had for a few days was very disappointing. It was not overly loud to the point where I couldn't stand it, but it just wasn't really good enough either. I expected to be incredibly impressed, especially with the noise cancellation technology.

The interior quality on the mdx is actually pretty good, so I don't think it is a case of honda being cheap. But obviously something they are doing in terms of noise dampening is wrong. Lately they have been trying to be the new-old-lexus, but the cabin noise doesn't really show it.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:07 PM
Racer

Another thing this base kia optima model had that surprised me was the three modes for the drivetrain - standard, eco and sport. I found it odd that the baseline kia would have this while it's not even available the Acura RDX.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Another thing this base kia optima model had that surprised me was the three modes for the drivetrain - standard, eco and sport. I found it odd that the baseline kia would have this while it's not even available the Acura RDX.
Try driving the new sorento in sx trim, there are TONS of things present that are not even available on the rdx. For example: pano roof, heated steering wheel, smart opening power lift gate, napa leather seats, 14 way driver seat, lcd electronic dash cluster, 360 degree camera...etc. The interior quality on the Sorento even challenges that of the mdx IMHO and the noise levels are incredibly quiet.

I don't know how they are doing it at the price point they are doing it at.
The following users liked this post:
TacoBello (05-30-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 02:38 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
The problem with buying a Kia is that you wind up with a Kia.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:33 PM
Racer

Try driving the new sorento in sx trim, there are TONS of things present that are not even available on the rdx. For example: pano roof, heated steering wheel, smart opening power lift gate, napa leather seats, 14 way driver seat, lcd electronic dash cluster, 360 degree camera...etc. The interior quality on the Sorento even challenges that of the mdx IMHO and the noise levels are incredibly quiet.

I don't know how they are doing it at the price point they are doing it at.

I have a friend with a kia Sorrento and I agree with you. In fact, I think it's nicer than the MDX.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dirleton
I could just as easily say the problem with driving an acura is that it is just a fancy honda....and honda just isn't what it used to be these days.

I have a friend with a kia Sorrento and I agree with you. In fact, I think it's nicer than the MDX.
I didn't want to say nicer because I didn't want to start a flame war pissing contest on an Acura forum. But I agree, feels much more impressive inside. This gen mdx doesn't drive smaller like the last gen did.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:01 PM
Racer

I could just as easily say the problem with driving an acura is that it is just a fancy honda....and honda just isn't what it used to be these days.

I didn't want to say nicer because I didn't want to start a flame war pissing contest on an Acura forum. But I agree, feels much more impressive inside. This gen mdx doesn't drive smaller like the last gen did.
I don't think it would start a flame pissing contest. There's nothing wrong with giving an honest opinion. If people disagree with it they can post their opinion. I don't think it's supposed to be a fanboy site, but a site for exchange of information and views. In all honesty, I think acura has pretty much lost its way. Not just in SUVs, but in sedans as well. They are several years behind in technology OR they simply don't offer what mainstream manufacturers offer in standard sedans. I think many people buy them because they are Honda products OR they are thinking more of resale than they are thinking about what they bought.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
Buying a KIA quickly confirmed what a disappointment the Acura was.

Last edited by hand-filer; 05-29-2016 at 10:22 PM.
TacoBello (05-30-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 10:20 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Different strokes ------------
Old 05-30-2016, 04:27 AM
Suzuka Master

I don't think it would start a flame pissing contest. There's nothing wrong with giving an honest opinion. If people disagree with it they can post their opinion. I don't think it's supposed to be a fanboy site, but a site for exchange of information and views. In all honesty, I think acura has pretty much lost its way. Not just in SUVs, but in sedans as well. They are several years behind in technology OR they simply don't offer what mainstream manufacturers offer in standard sedans. I think many people buy them because they are Honda products OR they are thinking more of resale than they are thinking about what they bought.
We have a couple members on here who always seem ready to pounce everytime I show an ounce of dissonance to the Acura brand. While I really don't care if they agree or not, just not in the mood to go there because I STILL have not bought a car since selling my rdx yet (nearly 3 months ago....been using the family's 09 santa fe) and therefore I don't even feel like I really "belong" on the site.

But what the hell, I'll dive in a little lol. I absolutely agree, Honda has let the Acura brand completely slide, and I feel this has been going on since around 2006-2007. In 2005 Acura came out with the Acura rl, which in my opinion was an amazing car for the time. Cooled/heated seats, adaptive headlights, smart key, shawd...etc. It was ultra competitive vs the german competitors.

Then we get the second gen acura mdx which I still think looks really good, but they let the ball drop. While the germans had cooled seats, smart key, pano roof, heated steering wheels, blind spot detection...etc, Acura was still peddling along with very very basic stuff.

Now comes in the latest gen of Acuras, they took out shawd from the rdx, tlx can't even touch the germans, ilx (quite possibly the worst Acura I have ever ever sat in, sluggish as hell) can't hold a candle to the 3 series, a4/3, c-class...etc. Rlx (do they even still make it?...) enough said. While the 2g mdx could really tango once rolling, the 3g feels larger than it is, I had one for a few day loaner during service and was severely dissapointed. The ONLY acura product that is really holding its' own right now is the NSX. But at the price it is going for, they can't really afford to mess that one up.

The kia optima/hyundai sonata offer panoramic sunroofs while no acura product does. The kia k900 has a V8 engine good for 420 ponies and is rwd, while no Acura product does/is (you can argue that with the hybrid tech, a V8 is not necessary, but I really disagree on this one). The mid level 2011 kia optima offered an lcd dash cluster....I don't think the rlx even does. The civic has apple car play while no current acura product does. The x5 has had 22 way seats since 2006, you can't even get more than 10-12 way seats on the mdx.

I also agree 100% that people are currently buying acura products because they have solid resale value, the "perception" of reliability, and a strong price point advantage (in most cases). Quite frankly I used to laugh at anyone considering a Lincoln over an Acura....but looking at the latest Acura products, I don't know why I would take them over a Lincoln.

While I do understand that Acura is a entry level premium brand, not a true luxury brand, their cars really don't even live up to that name when you can buy mainstream vehicles with better features, options, technology, and interiors. Acura wants to fill the void left by lexus's move towards "sporty" but they still show their vehicles on the track in commercials. I don't know about any of you, but I would be scared to ride in a current gen RDX on the track. From spending a few hours in a loaner, I couldn't wait to get back into my car. Imagine that, I was driving an almost brand new 2016 rdx and missed my 10 year old rdx.

I am sorry for the atrociously long post. I happen to really like the acura brand, I really became a fanboy after owning my 07 rdx, so it really sucks to see where they have become vs where they were.

Last edited by RDX10; 05-30-2016 at 04:29 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:35 AM
Racer

We have a couple members on here who always seem ready to pounce everytime I show an ounce of dissonance to the Acura brand. While I really don't care if they agree or not, just not in the mood to go there because I STILL have not bought a car since selling my rdx yet (nearly 3 months ago....been using the family's 09 santa fe) and therefore I don't even feel like I really "belong" on the site.

But what the hell, I'll dive in a little lol. I absolutely agree, Honda has let the Acura brand completely slide, and I feel this has been going on since around 2006-2007. In 2005 Acura came out with the Acura rl, which in my opinion was an amazing car for the time. Cooled/heated seats, adaptive headlights, smart key, shawd...etc. It was ultra competitive vs the german competitors.

Then we get the second gen acura mdx which I still think looks really good, but they let the ball drop. While the germans had cooled seats, smart key, pano roof, heated steering wheels, blind spot detection...etc, Acura was still peddling along with very very basic stuff.

Now comes in the latest gen of Acuras, they took out shawd from the rdx, tlx can't even touch the germans, ilx (quite possibly the worst Acura I have ever ever sat in, sluggish as hell) can't hold a candle to the 3 series, a4/3, c-class...etc. Rlx (do they even still make it?...) enough said. While the 2g mdx could really tango once rolling, the 3g feels larger than it is, I had one for a few day loaner during service and was severely dissapointed. The ONLY acura product that is really holding its' own right now is the NSX. But at the price it is going for, they can't really afford to mess that one up.

The kia optima/hyundai sonata offer panoramic sunroofs while no acura product does. The kia k900 has a V8 engine good for 420 ponies and is rwd, while no Acura product does/is (you can argue that with the hybrid tech, a V8 is not necessary, but I really disagree on this one). The mid level 2011 kia optima offered an lcd dash cluster....I don't think the rlx even does. The civic has apple car play while no current acura product does. The x5 has had 22 way seats since 2006, you can't even get more than 10-12 way seats on the mdx.

I also agree 100% that people are currently buying acura products because they have solid resale value, the "perception" of reliability, and a strong price point advantage (in most cases). Quite frankly I used to laugh at anyone considering a Lincoln over an Acura....but looking at the latest Acura products, I don't know why I would take them over a Lincoln.

While I do understand that Acura is a entry level premium brand, not a true luxury brand, their cars really don't even live up to that name when you can buy mainstream vehicles with better features, options, technology, and interiors. Acura wants to fill the void left by lexus's move towards "sporty" but they still show their vehicles on the track in commercials. I don't know about any of you, but I would be scared to ride in a current gen RDX on the track. From spending a few hours in a loaner, I couldn't wait to get back into my car. Imagine that, I was driving an almost brand new 2016 rdx and missed my 10 year old rdx.

I am sorry for the atrociously long post. I happen to really like the acura brand, I really became a fanboy after owning my 07 rdx, so it really sucks to see where they have become vs where they were.
I agree with much of your post.
As far as options,Lexus is in the same when it comes to options and Lexus is a much more successful spin off than Acura.
With the dismal amount of Acura car sales,I'm surprised Acura is still in business.

I do agree Honda has dropped the ball when it comes to Acura.Probably a lack of Acura profitability thing.

I find the RDX just ok but far from great but a decent vehicle for the cost when discounted big.A lot of pluses but also a lot of negatives.
Will I get another?Probably not.

I don't have any interest in a KIA but am sorry I didn't look at Lincoln closer or go for a few more dollars and get a Q5.I am leasing so a German vehicle isn't an issue.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by colt427
I agree with much of your post.
As far as options,Lexus is in the same when it comes to options and Lexus is a much more successful spin off than Acura.
With the dismal amount of Acura car sales,I'm surprised Acura is still in business.

I do agree Honda has dropped the ball when it comes to Acura.Probably a lack of Acura profitability thing.

I find the RDX just ok but far from great but a decent vehicle for the cost when discounted big.A lot of pluses but also a lot of negatives.
Will I get another?Probably not.

I don't have any interest in a KIA but am sorry I didn't look at Lincoln closer or go for a few more dollars and get a Q5.I am leasing so a German vehicle isn't an issue.
It is because lexus does not skip on the details and cost cut deliberately. The rx uses soft touch materials all the way down the doors, dash, glove box cover even, while the mdx has hard plastics about halfway down the doors and dash. What looks like aluminum and wood in the rx really is aluminum and wood. In Acura products it is mostly plastic. Lexus really "feels" like a luxury car when you are inside, and no wind noise, something Acura can't ever seem to get right. While Acura's feel like spruced up honda's. The latest gen Lexus vehicles have jumped forward with tech and features while the Acura products lag about 5-10 years behind.

You can really feel the honda underpinnings, with lexus you really can't.

I really don't know why they dropped the ball. Looking around, I see TONS of mdx's and rdx's (RARELY a Tlx, ILX, and never ever seen an rlx on the road yet). While crossovers are really popular right now, I think Acura has fallen asleep with their sedans. It almost feels like they are trying to get as money out as possible and then will drop the brand. The new civic and accord look better than their acura counterparts. All that is missing is the awd.

The current gen rdx has been doing much better than the last gen (I almost completely attribute this to dumbing down the looks and a good price. But if anyone were to really cross shop against direct competitors, the rdx starts falling apart. The latest model finally has tech features that should have been available in 2013, but seriously can't beleive anyone paid 40+ for a premium car so severely lacking in features back in 2013.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:53 PM
Racer

It is because lexus does not skip on the details and cost cut deliberately. The rx uses soft touch materials all the way down the doors, dash, glove box cover even, while the mdx has hard plastics about halfway down the doors and dash. What looks like aluminum and wood in the rx really is aluminum and wood. In Acura products it is mostly plastic. Lexus really "feels" like a luxury car when you are inside, and no wind noise, something Acura can't ever seem to get right. While Acura's feel like spruced up honda's. The latest gen Lexus vehicles have jumped forward with tech and features while the Acura products lag about 5-10 years behind.

I really don't know why they dropped the ball. Looking around, I see TONS of mdx's and rdx's (RARELY a Tlx, ILX, and never ever seen an rlx on the road yet). While crossovers are really popular right now, I think Acura has fallen asleep with their sedans. It almost feels like they are trying to get as money out as possible and then will drop the brand. The new civic and accord look better than their acura counterparts. All that is missing is the awd.

The current gen rdx has been doing much better than the last gen (I almost completely attribute this to dumbing down the looks and a good price. But if anyone were to really cross shop against direct competitors, the rdx starts falling apart. The latest model finally has tech features that should have been available in 2013, but seriously can't beleive anyone paid 40+ for a premium car so severely lacking in features back in 2013.
Being fair,a comparably equipped RX350 is around $14K more.The NX200T about $4K more than the RDX.
A RDX Advance bought at around $40K isn't bad at all,IMO.Though keeping SH-AWD would be much better.

You're right about the car line.
Funny how a new Civic Touring is $9K less than the ILX Technology Plus and A-SPEC.

The RLX is a joke at $60+K list.
$10K-$12K off and the RLX still doesn't sell.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by colt427
Being fair,a comparably equipped RX350 is around $14K more.The NX200T about $4K more than the RDX.
A RDX Advance bought at around $40K isn't bad at all,IMO.Though keeping SH-AWD would be much better.

You're right about the car line.
Funny how a new Civic Touring is $9K less than the ILX Technology Plus and A-SPEC.

The RLX is a joke at $60+K list.
$10K-$12K off and the RLX still doesn't sell.
In Canada, the top spec rdx is 54k iirc. The top spec rx is about 60-64k iirc. But I don't compare the rdx to the rx, not a fair comparo at all. I compare it to the mdx (even though size class isn't exactly equal). But even with that comparison, it shits all over the mdx in terms of quality and luxury.

I have not seen an rlx on the road yet. My neighbours own ferraris, lambos, Porsches, cadillacs, 7-series, s-class's...etc. But not a single rlx or acura product....I think that says a lot. Someone a couple blocks down owns a 2010-2012 acura rl though. The only rl I have ever seen in my life.

Edit: Holy cow I was wrong, the new rx goes for 74k and that isn't even the hybrid model. Ouch!

Last edited by RDX10; 05-30-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Different strokes ------------
It's funny you say this- and I bet you've never sat or driven a new Sorento even. You're just perpetuating the old stigma of 1980s Hyundai, while still largely uninformed, and you believe it so strongly because your friends and family likely say the same thing. I will admit, I was 100% the same as you. I wouldn't touch a Hyundai or Kia even if you paid me to. I hated those companies. Until the wife needed a new car. And we drove the Camry, the Accord, the 6. And ended up buying the Sonata. Because holy shit was it good.

And yet, year after year, that company keeps raising the bar. And the cars grow in price every year also to match. Those cars are seriously something solid these days and I bet in 5 years they will be even better. I also don't know how they do it, but they show little signs of stopping.

And funny enough, while there are plenty of haters still out there- because c'mon, it's "just" a Kia- more and more people are buying them. H/K is transforming one buyer at a time and they continually build upon where they previously had flaws. And those who do end up in an H/K product generally think to themselves "heh, people may think this is a piece of shit, but I saved 5-10k and have a fan-fucking-tastic vehicle now. Yay me!"

It may take some time. Maybe another decade. But you'll eventually see the light
hand-filer (05-30-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 05:43 PM
Team Owner

I have not seen an rlx on the road yet. My neighbours own ferraris, lambos, Porsches, cadillacs, 7-series, s-class's...etc. But not a single rlx or acura product....I think that says a lot. Someone a couple blocks down owns a 2010-2012 acura rl though. The only rl I have ever seen in my life.

Edit: Holy cow I was wrong, the new rx goes for 74k and that isn't even the hybrid model. Ouch!
Hey now- we live in the same city and I've seen some RLXs around. Very few, mind you. To date, I've maybe seen 4 on the road, and not a single one of them was an SH model. I doubt there is a single one here in the city even. Which would make me even more nervous- why would I want to drive a car that NO one else has? When it comes to maintenance or repairs, good luck getting raped by the dealer. It also doesn't help that there is likely zero technicians in town who know how to work on them... Because there are none to work on. Just food for thought
Old 05-30-2016, 06:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
It may take some time. Maybe another decade. But you'll eventually see the light
He's already 66 so maybe not.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Hey now- we live in the same city and I've seen some RLXs around. Very few, mind you. To date, I've maybe seen 4 on the road, and not a single one of them was an SH model. I doubt there is a single one here in the city even. Which would make me even more nervous- why would I want to drive a car that NO one else has? When it comes to maintenance or repairs, good luck getting raped by the dealer. It also doesn't help that there is likely zero technicians in town who know how to work on them... Because there are none to work on. Just food for thought
Hey I didn't say we don't have any in town. I said "I" have never seen any in my life even once. Or maybe they are so shit boring to look at that I never even paid attention when one was on the road near me, unlike when a comparable german rolls by and you kinda have to stop and stare. I am sure you have seen that sweet af RS5 rolling around.

You would think people buying an rlx would want the awd version due to our usually shitty winters. I guess no one wants to pay "that much" for an rlx

Btw I completely agree with everything you said about the kia and hyundai brand. We own an 09 santa fe, still rock solid 8 years later and not a single hickup.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
You're comparing the RDX with the wrong car though, you should be comparing the RX with the MDX. The 2017 MDX vs the 2017 RX350, do an objective comparison and you will see the 2017 MDX is the superior vehicle (and less expensive too).

The Lexus counterpart of the RDX is the NX. The NX has a weak 4 cylinder engine (235 horsepower) compared to the RDX's powerful 279 horsepower full V6. A fully loaded RDX in Canada is about $50,000. A fully loaded NX is about $60,000. A fully loaded RX is about $70,000. The RDX is more spacious, has better lights, and is faster than both the NX and the RX. The 2017 RX 0 to 100 km/h is about 8 seconds. The RDX is about 6 seconds. That's a significant speed difference. The fully loaded RDX has two big screens for control and navigation, the NX and RX only have one and it looks like an ugly tablet plastered on the dash. The control system for the RX is a weird joystick/trackman. The RDX has touch screen, dial knob, and voice commands. Lexus also has the ugliest grills invented thus far. The grill takes up 80 or 90% of the front, makes it look weird. Lexus's main advantage is the quiet cabin and a few more options (heated steering wheel, panoramic sun roof). Where it really counts (engine, acceleration, overall looks, lighting system, command and control screens) and adjusting for the price differential, the Acura's are ahead of the game. If I wanted to spend $70,000 on a car (and I almost did), I would get the Porsche Macan. Leg room is a little small in the back, and maintenance and repair would bleed you dry, but the Porsche Macan is a nice $70,000 vehicle. Not saying the Lexus is no good, they are excellent vehicles. But why buy a Lexus when you can get an Acura?

Old 05-31-2016, 11:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Acura is a luxury brand, similar to Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes except the prices are a lot better. The main issue with Acura's are wind noise. Most everything else is awesome.

Hyundai and Kia may make some decent vehicles, but at the end of the day they're Hyundai's and Kia's. They're good cars to get you from place to place, and if you don't want to spend a lot of money on a car. But to compare them to Acura is not a good comparison. I have a 2016 fully loaded RDX Elite, and girls take notice. The most expensive neighbourhoods in my country (Canada) have plenty of Acura's. Many households have more than one. If I were to drive around in a Hyundai and Kia, girls would laugh at me (even if I drove a Hyundai Genesis or a Kia K900 because girls don't know much about cars). If I were married with kids etc., I wouldn't mind driving a Hyundai or Kia, those are good family vehicles. But if I want a cool car that will attract beautiful women, I need a luxury brand like Acura. Sure, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc. would work as well, but I don't want to pay way more for an equivalent product. Acura is giving you a great reliable luxury brand at a great price.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rockyboy
Acura is a luxury brand, similar to Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes except the prices are a lot better. The main issue with Acura's are wind noise. Most everything else is awesome.

Hyundai and Kia may make some decent vehicles, but at the end of the day they're Hyundai's and Kia's. They're good cars to get you from place to place, and if you don't want to spend a lot of money on a car. But to compare them to Acura is not a good comparison. I have a 2016 fully loaded RDX Elite, and girls take notice. The most expensive neighbourhoods in my country (Canada) have plenty of Acura's. Many households have more than one. If I were to drive around in a Hyundai and Kia, girls would laugh at me (even if I drove a Hyundai Genesis or a Kia K900 because girls don't know much about cars). If I were married with kids etc., I wouldn't mind driving a Hyundai or Kia, those are good family vehicles. But if I want a cool car that will attract beautiful women, I need a luxury brand like Acura. Sure, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc. would work as well, but I don't want to pay way more for an equivalent product. Acura is giving you a great reliable luxury brand at a great price.
I just about managed to garner the slightest sliver of respect for you due to your previous post, then you bring up the girl bullshit. Once a troll, always a troll. And for the record, the kia and hyundai products are light years ahead of the Acura's in terms of tech and features, they even ride better, drive better, and, are quieter! I would plop down 60k on a new genesis any day of the week over a comparable dressed up accord.

Acura's play no where even close to the same field as Mercedes, lexus, bmw, and audi. You can keep saying that till you turn blue in the face, but no one cares to be seen in fancy accords and crv's. People buy modern Acura's because they are reliable and are cheap. So many decide to buy an Acura rather than a top level mainstream brand vehicle because of price and the Acura badge looks prettier than a honda, toyota, kia...etc badge.

And last but not least, there is no chance in hell you were cross shopping a macan and rdx and chose an rdx. I mean really.
The following 2 users liked this post by RDX10:
colt427 (05-31-2016), YeuEmMaiMai (06-04-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 12:19 PM
Team Owner

You're right... Kias and Hyundais are still... Kias and Hyundais.

And Acuras are still.. Acuras... Which isn't exactly any better
Old 05-31-2016, 12:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Personally, I like the K900 and the Genesis (especially when it becomes a separate division from Hyundai) but Acura is still considered a more marquee brand (especially in the eyes of single women looking at a man's car), and reliability is still higher.

I did consider the Porsche Macan while I was doing research on which vehicle to get. I narrowed it down to the Porsche Macan, BMW X4, Lexus RX350, Mercedes GLA and the Acura RDX. I got the Acura because it was BY FAR the best value and most intelligent choice for purchase. I was close to getting the Macan but decided not to mainly because the maintenance and repair costs are way too high. Sure it would be fun to drive around in, but when it comes time for maintenance, do I really want that burden? I opted for the Acura RDX, a cool vehicle I feel great in and leaves me with no worries.

I just about managed to garner the slightest sliver of respect for you due to your previous post, then you bring up the girl bullshit. Once a troll, always a troll. And for the record, the kia and hyundai products are light years ahead of the Acura's in terms of tech and features, they even ride better, drive better, and, are quieter! I would plop down 60k on a new genesis any day of the week over a comparable dressed up accord.

Acura's play no where even close to the same field as Mercedes, lexus, bmw, and audi. You can keep saying that till you turn blue in the face, but no one cares to be seen in fancy accords and crv's. People buy modern Acura's because they are reliable and are cheap. So many decide to buy an Acura rather than a top level mainstream brand vehicle because of price and the Acura badge looks prettier than a honda, toyota, kia...etc badge.

And last but not least, there is no chance in hell you were cross shopping a macan and rdx and chose an rdx. I mean really.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 Acura RDX - luxury or just an expensive honda?