2016 Acura RDX - luxury or just an expensive honda?

Old 04-20-2016, 01:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
you can call it whatever you like. at the end of the day it gets you from point a to point b
Old 04-20-2016, 03:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by aIRpeACE
you can call it whatever you like. at the end of the day it gets you from point a to point b
So can a mitsubishi mirage, a bycicle, and your own feet. Some people don't consider a vehicle an appliance. While others only want their vehicle to be like an appliance.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:38 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyboy
... You have a few like the Porsche Macan that has better power and handlig but low reliability and high repair costs and smaller cabin. That's why I didn't get the Porsche.
When I got to here I decided to stop reading
The following users liked this post:
Comfy (04-21-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 12:11 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by mindanalyzer
When I got to here I decided to stop reading
We knew that you would see the light after reading those sacred words from RDX's ideological guru. .
Old 04-21-2016, 03:45 PM
Instructor

Getting divorce

I am getting a divorce and as such, I am in the meat market. I have heard of the RDX being a chick magnet, so I am entertaining the idea of dumping the X3 for a RDX elite (who knew?). Btw this time I am aiming for 8.5+/10; meaning no walrus/manatees are going to be considered.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:22 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by mindanalyzer
I am getting a divorce and as such, I am in the meat market. I have heard of the RDX being a chick magnet, so I am entertaining the idea of dumping the X3 for a RDX elite (who knew?). Btw this time I am aiming for 8.5+/10; meaning no walrus/manatees are going to be considered.
I'm not sure how many soccer moms will be interested in your RDX. If you're interested in same sex dating perhaps you'll have a some luck.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by snorf
I'm not sure how many soccer moms will be interested in your RDX. If you're interested in same sex dating perhaps you'll have a some luck.
I'm not into same sex dating these days ... Unless it is with my nigga rockyboy
snorf (04-22-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 07:57 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
@dboz

Originally Posted by dboz
I am a noob to ACURA. Just got a close out RDX AWD base on a killer lease deal. Anyway, I came across this thread during my vehicle research but decided to chime in since I actually pulled the trigger.

thanks for taking the time to write up your response. all good points and many I agree with.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:54 PM
Racer

It's much nicer than the 4 cyl CR-V, but it lacks a lot of features commonly found in cheaper cars. Digital mph readout in the civic, apple play in the civic and perhaps the accord, apple play in the corolla, heated and vented rear seats as in numerous mainstream sedans, heated steering wheel as in many mainstream sedans. Emergency braking to a stop in other sedans. This is by no means a total list, but it gives you an idea of some of the technology in much cheaper mainstream cars that is not even an option on the top of the line RDX. I think acura usually lags behind the industry by perhaps 4 or 5 years in many areas, but the name recognition sells a lot of cars for them. I don't think it's a luxury car or a sporty car, but just a better car than the CR-V. Even though acura is supposed to be Honda's premium line I think it is more of an afterthought for Honda or they just use the "B" team with acura.

Last edited by snorf; 04-25-2016 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:19 PM
Suzuka Master

It's much nicer than the 4 cyl CR-V, but it lacks a lot of features commonly found in cheaper cars. Digital mph readout in the civic, apple play in the civic and perhaps the accord, apple play in the corolla, heated and vented rear seats as in numerous mainstream sedans, heated steering wheel as in many mainstream sedans. Emergency braking to a stop in other sedans. This is by no means a total list, but it gives you an idea of some of the technology in much cheaper mainstream cars that is not even an option on the top of the line RDX. I think acura usually lags behind the industry by perhaps 4 or 5 years in many areas, but the name recognition sells a lot of cars for them. I don't think it's a luxury car or a sporty car, but just a better car than the CR-V. Even though acura is supposed to be Honda's premium line I think it is more of an afterthought for Honda or they just use the "B" team with acura.
I agree with everything you said above, especially about not being luxury or sporty, just nicer.

But I disagree about the vented rear seats, you can't even get them in most luxury suv's (barring cayenne and ml). What mainstream sedan has them?

But I also completely agree about the heated wheel, that is a huge overlook. Hell, I can get a heated wheel in a $13k kia or Hyundai or shitty jeep. Some toyotas have heated wheels and heated wheels have been around since I think late 90's...no reason why 20 years later, and Acura still comes without it even optional!

Needless to say, the bean counters at acrua need to be fired.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:29 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

I would compare it among the newer Buicks if you are talking GM as a comparison of Honda.
Slightly nicer and sportier but not among the leading pack and well worth the difference from its cheaper siblings.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:07 PM
Racer

[QUOTE=RDX10;15736127]I
But I disagree about the vented rear seats, you can't even get them in most luxury suv's (barring cayenne and ml). What mainstream sedan has them?
QUOTE]

You may be right about the vented rear seats. I have a friend with a Kia Optima and the rear seats in it are heated. IDK if the sonata has the same feature or not.

Additionally, there is no shortage of mainstream cars with multiple USB ports. My friend's optima had TWO of them for the rear seat passengers. Again, USB ports for rear seat passengers isn't even an option in the RDX.

Mine wasn't a complete list of what is available on mainstream cars and not available on the RDX, but I just hit some of the ones that would be nice to have in a car.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Comfy
I would compare it among the newer Buicks if you are talking GM as a comparison of Honda.
Slightly nicer and sportier but not among the leading pack and well worth the difference from its cheaper siblings.

I think you got it pretty much on the mark.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RDX is a pretty much a completely different platform from any Hondas. It is developed almost entirely in Japan.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Eugene Carroll
RDX is a pretty much a completely different platform from any Hondas. It is developed almost entirely in Japan.
no

The RDX is based off of the CRV platform and shares the exact same unit body construction with some reinforcements for the V6

If you retain the pushbutton on the dash from the base CRV, you just might be a CRV in Acura clothes..

Same for ILX and Civic...
Old 04-28-2016, 12:03 AM
Suzuka Master

What? No! Not even close! The RDX is a fancy crv with Acura cloths and a accord drivetrain. Not that it is a bad car at all, but really, this statement is absolute bollocks.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:25 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by RDX10
What? No! Not even close! The RDX is a fancy crv with Acura cloths and a accord drivetrain. Not that it is a bad car at all, but really, this statement is absolute bollocks.
I don't know where you got your information but it's incorrect. The RDX has more in common with the European Accord platform than the CRV.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:28 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
no

The RDX is based off of the CRV platform and shares the exact same unit body construction with some reinforcements for the V6

If you retain the pushbutton on the dash from the base CRV, you just might be a CRV in Acura clothes..

Same for ILX and Civic...
You are incorrect. There are TWO Platforms for both Civic and Accord, US and World. Acuras are based off of the European platforms. US Hondas have a cheaper platform. In many countries what we buy as Acuras are just badged as 'Hondas.'
Old 04-28-2016, 07:49 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

I don't know where this conversation is even going. For all I know I believe the RDX is a reskinned / restyled/ significantly upgraded version of CRV.
I don't care what platform it is derived from but I believe both should be the same.
I'm also aware that the European accord and American accord are different cars. The TSX used to be the European/ Japanese Accord. (In Japan both models were present and the American accord was called Aspire there). Now don't know what's happening in that aspect. But that's beyond the scope of this discussion.
Let's stick with RDX here.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:59 AM
Cruisin'

I think it depends on where you are. In Europe, Acuras are more like Hondas, because Acuras are all based off of European platforms, which are different. In North America, there are significant differences between Acuras and Hondas.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:39 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Yes it depends and I admit that I don't have further details. Does it say anywhere officially that the RDX is not based on CRV and is derived from a different (Euro accord) platform? I doubt so.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:32 AM
Cruisin'

Yes it depends and I admit that I don't have further details. Does it say anywhere officially that the RDX is not based on CRV and is derived from a different (Euro accord) platform? I doubt so.
Well, we could look component by component. For example Acura suspension has active, amplitude reactive dampers & hydraulic bushings. The CR-V has a more traditional suspension with solid bushings, IIRC.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:58 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

That's is the same as sharing a platform but using all upgraded components for their premium brands. Nothing wrong with that, after all Audi and Lexus do similar things.
No one is saying that Acura doesn't use better components. It does and it shows (that's why we bought the RDX in the first place ). I thought the discussion was about the base platform which we believe is the same in CRV and RDX.
Now if it is really true that RDX uses a different platform (as you say it is), then more power to us. .
Old 04-29-2016, 04:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
You are incorrect. There are TWO Platforms for both Civic and Accord, US and World. Acuras are based off of the European platforms. US Hondas have a cheaper platform. In many countries what we buy as Acuras are just badged as 'Hondas.'
Do I really have to do this?

2013 Acura RDX Photos and Info ? News ? Car and Driver

Originally Posted by Car and Driver
If the 2013 RDX’s proportions look familiar, that’s because it utilizes the same basic platform as the latest Honda CR-V (the last RDX also shared much with the previous CR-V). The RDX still remains recognizable as an Acura, but its styling is more mature than before. It now looks like a shrunken version of the MDX. The mechanical-eagle-beak grille has been toned down to match the look currently seen on the rest of Acura’s lineup.
the RDX has always been based off of the CR-V platform

BTW the euro accord IS oops was the TSX....
Old 04-29-2016, 12:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Thank you for this. I really have no idea where he was getting his info from, but I thought I would no longer get involved because he seemed so set lol
Old 05-02-2016, 07:52 AM
Cruisin'

Thank you for this. I really have no idea where he was getting his info from, but I thought I would no longer get involved because he seemed so set lol
Yes, and I'm still set. The car magazines don't understand Honda's "platform" system. They keep getting it wrong.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:55 AM
Cruisin'

I get my info from people I know who actually develop the CR-V. They don't even communicate with the RDX people.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:59 AM
Cruisin'

You can do whatever you want, but you're incorrect. The two vehicles share very few major components, and very little joint development occurs between them. This isn't like the Pontiac/Buick/Oldsmobile days of old. Platform doesn't mean what it used to.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:00 AM
Racer

I get my info from people I know who actually develop the CR-V. They don't even communicate with the RDX people.
LOL! I actually think you may be right. When looking at what other manufacturers offer in mainstream sedans as standard equipment and those things not even available on the top of the line RDX, I'm beginning to believe the people who develop the RDX (a Honda-proclaimed premium car) don't have a lot of communication with the automobile world in general.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:09 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

LOL! I actually think you may be right. When looking at what other manufacturers offer in mainstream sedans as standard equipment and those things not even available on the top of the line RDX, I'm beginning to believe the people who develop the RDX (a Honda-proclaimed premium car) don't have a lot of communication with the automobile world in general.
That was funny.
I would still like to see some hard evidence that says that CRV and RDX are totally different platforms though.
Eugene's anecdotal "evidence" is appreciated but still not enough to convince us in general.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:13 AM
Cruisin'

That's is the same as sharing a platform but using all upgraded components for their premium brands. Nothing wrong with that, after all Audi and Lexus do similar things.
No one is saying that Acura doesn't use better components. It does and it shows (that's why we bought the RDX in the first place ). I thought the discussion was about the base platform which we believe is the same in CRV and RDX.
Now if it is really true that RDX uses a different platform (as you say it is), then more power to us. .
It's similar but not the same. Once you change enough parts it's a different vehicle. Even the the mounts are different (like for engine & exhaust) They may even hang in the same place but they're not the same part. Just because the one will fit on the production line of the other doesn't make them "just another version" of that car. Them's fighting words.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:16 AM
Racer

Just a quick google gets you the info on the CR-V and RDX platform (singular):

(from 2013) The five-seat crossover is based on the same unibody structure that underpins the immensely popular Honda CR-V — which comes only with 4 cylinders — and assembled alongside the CR-V in East Liberty, Ohio.

(from 2015) If that sounds pretty good, you’re going to be getting a pretty good little luxury SUV. Though it shares a platform with the Honda CR-V, the Acura RDX has an exclusive 273-horsepower, 3.5-liter V-6 engine that ought to run forever.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:22 AM
Cruisin'

(from 2013) The five-seat crossover is based on the same unibody structure that underpins the immensely popular Honda CR-V — which comes only with 4 cylinders — and assembled alongside the CR-V in East Liberty, Ohio.

(from 2015) If that sounds pretty good, you’re going to be getting a pretty good little luxury SUV. Though it shares a platform with the Honda CR-V, the Acura RDX has an exclusive 273-horsepower, 3.5-liter V-6 engine that ought to run forever.

Yes, but "platform" doesn't mean what people think it means anymore. It means only the most basic thing about how it fits in the production line. Like it means the bolts for the V6 on one are spaced the same as the other. But if you look at the part numbers, probably 85% or more are different part numbers. They were developed in different places by different people. That's all I'm trying to communicate.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:40 AM
Cruisin'

That's the exact kind of over-simplification that really pisses of car developers. Tell the guy who spends his whole life working on the hydraulic engine mounts for the Acura that they're just "fancy Honda parts" and he's likely to slap you in the head.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:54 AM
Racer

That's the exact kind of over-simplification that really pisses of car developers. Tell the guy who spends his whole life working on the hydraulic engine mounts for the Acura that they're just "fancy Honda parts" and he's likely to slap you in the head.
I won't waste time even commenting on this. I think you have it fixed in your mind and everyone else just simply "doesn't get it". That's fine.

I can, however, give you two examples that I'm aware of - and there are MANY more (how did they get chevy engines in oldsmobiles?, etc):

1) I have two cousins who used to work at the GM plant in Lordstown. When asked what was the difference between a GM and a chevy pickup the answer was - essentially nothing. If the truck came down the line with the hood on it they were to put "GMC" on the vehicle. Part numbers were different, but were the same parts. It was the same truck with a significant price difference.

2) Years ago I had a diesel rabbit. The starter was going out on it and I wanted to replace it. It was $300 for the diesel rabbit starter and $80 for the gas rabbit starter. The ONLY difference between the starters was the part numbers - they were the same starter.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:31 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
I won't waste time even commenting on this. I think you have it fixed in your mind and everyone else just simply "doesn't get it". That's fine.

I can, however, give you two examples that I'm aware of - and there are MANY more (how did they get chevy engines in oldsmobiles?, etc):

1) I have two cousins who used to work at the GM plant in Lordstown. When asked what was the difference between a GM and a chevy pickup the answer was - essentially nothing. If the truck came down the line with the hood on it they were to put "GMC" on the vehicle. Part numbers were different, but were the same parts. It was the same truck with a significant price difference.

2) Years ago I had a diesel rabbit. The starter was going out on it and I wanted to replace it. It was $300 for the diesel rabbit starter and $80 for the gas rabbit starter. The ONLY difference between the starters was the part numbers - they were the same starter.
Didn't I share my experience with my 98 Yukon? It said 1500 on one side (the Chevy Tahoe designation) and 350 on the other side (the GMC designation). The dealer wanted to fix it but I wouldn't let them.
snorf (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 12:05 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Let's speak hypothetically. Take a CRV unibody frame (or whatever it is called now). Attach the hydraulic dampers, V6 engine, all upgraded interior and exterior body parts which the RDX has. So will it ride like an RDX then? Or we won't be able to fix the Acura goodies to the CRV frame?
That's what I understand by "platform".

Last edited by Comfy; 05-02-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:15 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
I got to believe the RDX is very 'CR-V like'.
It's all about profit.Especially with a Acura line (car line,anyway) that's not selling that well.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:19 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Let's speak hypothetically. Take a CRV unibody frame (or whatever it is called now). Attach the hydraulic dampers, V6 engine, all upgraded interior and exterior body parts which the RDX has. So will it ride like an RDX then? Or we won't be able to fix the Acura goodies to the CRV frame?
That's what I understand by "platform".
It isn't quite that easy to define "platform". In theory (and in practice) you can shorten/lengthen a platform and still have the same platform.

The Touareg, Audi Q and Porsche Cayenne "shared" the same platform but you couldn't bolt all the bits from one on the other.

The current Ford midsize platform for example, is used on the following cars

2002–2008 Mazda 6 (GG)
2006–present Besturn B70
2006–2012 Ford Fusion (CD338)
2006–2012 Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ (CD378)
2006–2011 Mercury Milan (CD338)
2007–present Mazda CX-9
2007–2014 Ford Edge crossover SUV (U387)
2007–present Lincoln MKX crossover SUV (U388)
2008–2012 Mazda 6 (GH)
2009–present Besturn B50

The SUVs and sedans share few parts but are on the same platform.

FWIW, the Besturn (a Chinese manufacturer) has the habit of catching on fire turning the car into a Best... - get it?
Old 05-03-2016, 08:35 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Thanks. I feel that CRV and RDX have more in common than between a sedan and SUV.
Eugene may need to look into stretching/ altering platforms to fit individual models.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 Acura RDX - luxury or just an expensive honda?