2016 Acura RDX - luxury or just an expensive honda?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 09:47 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
The "luxury" distinction means nothing to me. It's a car. An appliance. You either "get" Honda cars, or you don't. If you don't, fine. I'm sure you can find a forum where people share your personal views about the role of an automobile in your life.

No car is a Mercedes Benz that doesn't have the tri-point star on the front. One wonders how many Mercedes Benz cars have been sacrificed by engineers trying to reverse engineer their products. Certainly, Honda is among the companies who disassemble MB cars. Just as certainly, Honda pays royalties to MB for use of their various patents and copyrights -- just like every other manufacturer.

My new Acura is not my first Honda. The reliability and collection of features for the money paid of my other Hondas has me in the position of being unable to justify any other brand as a good value.

I need to get from point A to point B, reliably and economically. So, Honda keeps getting my money. If I had a different set of requirements for a car, I'd get a different car.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:01 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyboy
Here is an example why the Acura is luxury.

Driving today, I turned the base and subwoofer to max on my sound system. The surround sound is INCREDIBLE!! It's at least as good as or better than any competing vehicle's sound system. I also have the sound configured so the volume automatically gets louder as I speed up and lower as I slow down. That's luxury! Also, I talk to my vehicle to tell it what to do with the sound system. It listens to my voice. That's luxury!
Wow. My 8 year old Mazda does the same. LUXURY!

I feel great having the Acura badge, especially since it looks like the Batman symbol on the front fascia!
You really are on some bad, bad drugs. I'm guessing you were battling off the throngs of women trying to "get with you" this morning because of your RDX also, weren't you?

Last edited by TacoBello; 09-15-2015 at 10:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TacoBello:
04WDPSeDaN (09-15-2015), snorf (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 10:08 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I think the work "luxury" is one of those words that has been over used and lost its meaning. If the RDX has common features you can find with any manufacturer in the general price range or cheaper; I'm not sure it can be a true luxury item. Most luxury brands have a bunch of totally useless items that cost a fortune and add no practical value to original functionality. Like Granite trim for Mercedes, leather vents for Porsche, or Rolls Royce starlight headliner or lambs wool floor mats or wine/champagne back seat cooler.

I would consider Acura to have "unique styling" or "enhanced/preferred driver functionality package (comfort/safety/drive-ability/etc...)". Everything on my Acura's does serve a performance/comfort/safety purpose with Honda/Acura reliability tossed on top.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:36 AM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by shahram72
Being the owner of a new CRV, I hope they added a ton of sound deadening to the RDX. The CRV is no luxury car and I don't know how they made it ride like one. Its a nice, but small cheap car. The expensive ones with leather make me laugh. The Touring is really funny. $33K for THIS CAR? Yeah, it's way more gussied up than my LX, but I sat in it. Same horrible seats, just covered in leather. And there is no extra sound deadening and no driveline improvements. It's a joke. You have to be sensory impaired to think that car is luxury. I have seen an RDX up close, it's very different. I'll bet it feels very different as well. If you like it, you made the right choice. My point is, I'll get the base model of a simple car. If I am going to load it up with options, I'll just get the next level car up, which often comes with half those options in it's base model. Just got some MSW wheels in for my LX today, which will take the major cheap look aspect away. Can't wait to see them mounted! Oh, and since you guys don't know me in this section, I also own an '05 Acura RL, so I know what a luxury car is, at least for Acura.

After reading your post I couldn't help myself so I took a trip to the Honda dealership and drove a CRV. (I had never driven or ridden in one.) WOW! What a difference! That CRV was so noisy! And I think it was pretty cheap on the inside, too. Not to insult CR-V owners, but that thing was a piece of crap. So I retract my statement that the RDX is basically a 6 cyl CRV. The RDX is a major step up from that CRV. It has some shortcomings, but all cars do. I'm hoping to get the wind noise taken care of when I go to the dealership and the poorly thought out / outdated recording method to the hard drive is no big worry. There are many ways to listen to music on the RDX, but I've noticed that the sound quality of CDs (and CDs recorded to the hard drive) is better than the sound quality from my iTunes collection (probably the bit rate of the recording).

I am, however, hoping that the reliability of the acura is better than our 2000 accord. We bought it new and took excellent care of it. (The current owner is a friend of mine and that 2000 accord still looks like new.) The accord, however, is the only car I ever had to have a transmission put in. In fact, before it hit 80,000 miles it had the original plus three (3) replacement transmissions in it. (1998-2002 Hondas had serious transmission issues) It is also the only car I've ever owned that had to have a motor mount replaced.

Is the RDX a luxury vehicle? IDK. But compared to the CR-V it is. I do think there is a difference between the mindset of Toyota and Honda when it comes to their luxury lines, however. To Toyota, Lexus is a priority. To Honda, it was just something they had to do. It appears that Honda (acura) has opted to up its game on acura in the past couple of years with its new products - ILT, TLX, etc.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:42 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Here is an example why the Acura is luxury.

Driving today, I turned the base and subwoofer to max on my sound system. The surround sound is INCREDIBLE!! It's at least as good as or better than any competing vehicle's sound system. I also have the sound configured so the volume automatically gets louder as I speed up and lower as I slow down. That's luxury! Also, I talk to my vehicle to tell it what to do with the sound system. It listens to my voice. That's luxury!
It seems like RockX is misguided about sound system in cars. When you turn everything on full blast, of course you will hear everything. Your system is screwed if you can't hear anything. A 10 year old Acura RSX with stock sound system can do that too, and so is any sound system offered by other competitors. The key is can you hear the same depth when the volume is at the minimum (e.g., 5) vs the volume is at max (e.g. 30). RDX is great, but not close enough. I can hardly hear any low notes and sub when the volume is low. If I turn the volume up, then I can hear the music when I stand outside the car. I don't know about you, but I certainly do not want to wake up the neighbors in the morning or at night when I drive to my house.

P.S. A good leader works side by side with the team members and not just bark orders (e.g. voice commands) at them.

I feel great having the Acura badge, especially since it looks like the Batman symbol on the front fascia!
Just slap an Acura badge on anything and everything becomes a luxury item. (Typical of Fanboys).

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Those 80's vehicles you mention, if true, were ahead of their time if they had that luxury feature. But I'm sure the sound quality doesn't compare to the RDX. The sound is actually better than when you're at the Princess of Wales theatre watching a musical.
Wow. My 8 year old Mazda Miata does the same. LUXURY!
My 10 year old RSX does the same thing except it has a modified stereo system with sub and caps and 5 channel amp.

Last edited by RSX_Takashi; 09-15-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:23 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by snorf
BTW - I think the RDX IS a nice car with a lot of nice features. But I think it's pretty much just an expensive Honda - a CR-V with a 6 cyl. I don't think of it as a luxury. The sticker on ours was about $43k. I don't think it was worth anywhere near that, but the price wasn't really an issue. I really didn't care what we bought. My wife was turning 60 and it was her birthday present. It was cheaper than a Cessna.
/thread
The following users liked this post:
04WDPSeDaN (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 11:50 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Honda has newer features than the RDX and is way less price. The biggest difference is the V6 and 6AT versus 4 and CVT.

The CR-V has held its resale better than the RDX traditionally as well.

We have one of each...and I know the toys are far better in the CR-V, but if you tow or are frequently loaded and needing the extra HP, then the RDX is it.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:59 AM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
I think the work "luxury" is one of those words that has been over used and lost its meaning. .... Most luxury brands have a bunch of totally useless items that cost a fortune and add no practical value to original functionality. Like Granite trim for Mercedes, leather vents for Porsche, or Rolls Royce starlight headliner or lambs wool floor mats or wine/champagne back seat cooler.
That is a pretty good summary of the industry. In the computer software business we call it "BLOATWARE".

For example Norton Anti Virus was a very highly rated piece of software when it was first introduced. In order to sell more product the next year, the developers kept adding new "features". To many professional IT folks it was debatable as to the value of the "features", but Norton kept coming up with new ideas every year regardless. At some point the software became so bloated that people needed to purchase faster computers just to handle the job of running the anti virus software. As time went on, Norton fell from the position of most highly recommended software to the piece of software to be most avoided.

As the base model cars are equipped with more and more options, the luxury brands are forced to add even more options in order to be considered a premium brand. The car engineers are adding anything they can dream up just to keep their list of options bigger than the next guy. So you might say that automobiles are also suffering from bloatware. People are paying extra for options that are almost useless in many cases. Unless the owner of these cars is a true "enthusiast", I think many of these options are never used, and are disabled when possible (e.g. read some of the threads on CMBS and LKAS).
Old 09-15-2015, 12:20 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by snorf
After reading your post I couldn't help myself so I took a trip to the Honda dealership and drove a CRV. (I had never driven or ridden in one.) WOW! What a difference! That CRV was so noisy! And I think it was pretty cheap on the inside, too. Not to insult CR-V owners, but that thing was a piece of crap. So I retract my statement that the RDX is basically a 6 cyl CRV. The RDX is a major step up from that CRV. It has some shortcomings, but all cars do. I'm hoping to get the wind noise taken care of when I go to the dealership and the poorly thought out / outdated recording method to the hard drive is no big worry. There are many ways to listen to music on the RDX, but I've noticed that the sound quality of CDs (and CDs recorded to the hard drive) is better than the sound quality from my iTunes collection (probably the bit rate of the recording).

I am, however, hoping that the reliability of the acura is better than our 2000 accord. We bought it new and took excellent care of it. (The current owner is a friend of mine and that 2000 accord still looks like new.) The accord, however, is the only car I ever had to have a transmission put in. In fact, before it hit 80,000 miles it had the original plus three (3) replacement transmissions in it. (1998-2002 Hondas had serious transmission issues) It is also the only car I've ever owned that had to have a motor mount replaced.

Is the RDX a luxury vehicle? IDK. But compared to the CR-V it is. I do think there is a difference between the mindset of Toyota and Honda when it comes to their luxury lines, however. To Toyota, Lexus is a priority. To Honda, it was just something they had to do. It appears that Honda (acura) has opted to up its game on acura in the past couple of years with its new products - ILT, TLX, etc.

Same story we had when we bought my wife's 2015 RDX Base model. She originally wanted a CRV EX-L. We test drove it, and she was already ready to negotiate to get it. She's sold on the CRV. But I forced her to test drive the RDX. The moment she sat inside and drove it, she forgot about the CRV. Way better.

Also, we got the 2015 Acura RDX base model at a lower price than a CRV Touring. She said she does not need all the extra features in the CRV Touring.

We also test drove the CX-5 and Audi Q3. And for the $37k price of the Q3 without the back up camera, we did not even think about talking to the dealer to negotiate. CX-5 is nice but not RDX nice.

Luxury depends on the financial status of a person. It does not mean MB, BMW, Lexus are luxury. For a millionaire who has a Bentley or Rolls Royce, those are just regular cars. But for us, who used to drive a Civic and Rav4, the MDX and RDX we have right now are luxury.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by visiter555
The Honda has newer features than the RDX and is way less price. The biggest difference is the V6 and 6AT versus 4 and CVT.

The CR-V has held its resale better than the RDX traditionally as well.

We have one of each...and I know the toys are far better in the CR-V, but if you tow or are frequently loaded and needing the extra HP, then the RDX is it.
The CR-V is targeted for individuals who would like a mini-SUV but with minimum interest in extra amenities. In addition, off road capabilities (Exclude driving over curbs) are not needed but would like a car that offers higher clearance from the ground. It's more like a "go-to" car to take people from A to B and may be haul some light cargo. It is always been mated with a 2.4 L I4 engine so it is more fuel efficient compared to a V6.

Keep in mind that most people who purchase a CR-V will just get the base model or the mid level model. Once you move higher in the CR-V food chain you are closing in the entry level RDX price range.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:40 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Not luxury. Acura just put LED lights on the RDX.... a few years behind Kia. They just added blind spot monitoring, lane departure avoidance, and collision warnings... things that Toyota and Nissan already had a few years earlier.

The US version of the RDX doesnt have a windshield washer fluid sensor, or wipers that park automatically when you shut the car off.

Nope...definitely not a luxury brand. They are not leading... they are following!!!
Old 09-15-2015, 02:56 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Those 80's vehicles you mention, if true, were ahead of their time if they had that luxury feature. But I'm sure the sound quality doesn't compare to the RDX. The sound is actually better than when you're at the Princess of Wales theatre watching a musical.
Acura ELS is considered to be one of the best OE systems available. Audio in the 80's was a completely different thing and audio quality in a car was considered nearly impossible. That certainly wasn't a hallmark of a luxury car then either. This, including the color and wheels, is what my car looked like - except that it was LHD

and the installed radio, a Blaupunkt (not Becker of course) Berlin with the gooseneck control arm

Last edited by ceb; 09-15-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Acura has industry leading LED headlights (and tail lights) that not only are the best looking headlights in the class but are closest in the class to natural sunlight. Most of the luxury brands don't offer LED head lights as standard equipment, and some lines LED is not available at all. In terms of Kia, their best car is the K900 and if you count Hyundai, the Genesis. Those two vehicles I do consider as luxury. There are a few Genesis in my neighbourhood (haven't seen a K900 yet). One thing that stands out, people rip off the Hyundai emblem and stick on something else in its place.

As for Toyota and Nissan, show me one of their vehicles that has all the sensors that the 2016 RDX has. How about LED lights? The thing is, let's say for example you buy a fully loaded Toyota Venza. It will cost almost as much as the base RDX and still have less luxury features and inferior driving dynamics. And the Venza is Toyota's best overall vehicle in terms of value but they're discontinuing it soon. You would have to look at Lexus or Infiniti to compare to the RDX. The 2016 RDX is still an overall superior vehicle to its direct competitors such as the Lexus NX and even the Lexus RX and Infiniti QX50 and QX60. If you compare feature for feature, the RDX still comes out on top. C'mon, look at the 0 to 100 km time of the 2016 RDX. It's as fast as some sports cars! If you add in value per dollar paid, the RDX leaps far ahead. Every time I drive my vehicle, I appreciate the smooth driving and the POWER. This thing has POWER!!!

Originally Posted by ottoman101
Not luxury. Acura just put LED lights on the RDX.... a few years behind Kia. They just added blind spot monitoring, lane departure avoidance, and collision warnings... things that Toyota and Nissan already had a few years earlier.

The US version of the RDX doesnt have a windshield washer fluid sensor, or wipers that park automatically when you shut the car off.

Nope...definitely not a luxury brand. They are not leading... they are following!!!
Old 09-15-2015, 05:15 PM
Burning Brakes

The ELS sound system in the 2016 RDX is amazing. I really don't understand what some people are complaining about. Maybe the radio station they're tuning into doesn't have good reception. What people need to do is two things:

1) Adjust these settings:

Base: turn to +6 (maximum)
Subwoofer: turn to +6 (maximum)
Surround sound: Make sure it is on.
Center, balance and fade: put it in the middle.
SVC: +3

2) Pop in a good music CD and turn the volume to 10-12 or so.

Follow these steps and you and the ELS sound system will become one.

Originally Posted by ceb
Acura ELS is considered to be one of the best OE systems available. Audio in the 80's was a completely different thing and audio quality in a car was considered nearly impossible. That certainly wasn't a hallmark of a luxury car then either. This, including the color and wheels, is what my car looked like - except that it was LHD

and the installed radio, a Blaupunkt (not Becker of course) Berlin with the gooseneck control arm
Old 09-15-2015, 05:38 PM
Instructor

Acura has industry leading LED headlights (and tail lights) that not only are the best looking headlights in the class but are closest in the class to natural sunlight. Most of the luxury brands don't offer LED head lights as standard equipment, and some lines LED is not available at all. In terms of Kia, their best car is the K900 and if you count Hyundai, the Genesis. Those two vehicles I do consider as luxury. There are a few Genesis in my neighbourhood (haven't seen a K900 yet). One thing that stands out, people rip off the Hyundai emblem and stick on something else in its place.

As for Toyota and Nissan, show me one of their vehicles that has all the sensors that the 2016 RDX has. How about LED lights? The thing is, let's say for example you buy a fully loaded Toyota Venza. It will cost almost as much as the base RDX and still have less luxury features and inferior driving dynamics. And the Venza is Toyota's best overall vehicle in terms of value but they're discontinuing it soon. You would have to look at Lexus or Infiniti to compare to the RDX. The 2016 RDX is still an overall superior vehicle to its direct competitors such as the Lexus NX and even the Lexus RX and Infiniti QX50 and QX60. If you compare feature for feature, the RDX still comes out on top. C'mon, look at the 0 to 100 km time of the 2016 RDX. It's as fast as some sports cars! If you add in value per dollar paid, the RDX leaps far ahead. Every time I drive my vehicle, I appreciate the smooth driving and the POWER. This thing has POWER!!!
Once again, all propaganda and no substance and meat. Where do you live? DPRK!? You can save all the "best in class" and "industry leading" information to yourself. We don't care and do not need to be reminded of it. By referencing it shows your lack of confidence yourself and need meaningless marketing words to back yourself up.

I don't mean to break it to you, LED headlights and fog lights have been on cars for a long time. Heck, hypermilers put LED lights on their cars to save money and fuel back in 2007. MB had LED lights as their fog lights for a long time. It is not ground breaking technology like you made it sound. If you gotten your head out of your buttocks long enough you would have known.

You make claims that RDX is fast; however, all you focus is on numbers printed on the brochure. Fast as some sports cars!? Ha! I like you see you take on a Ford Mustang at a red light. I would like to see you take on a BMW 2 series. May be a S2K? I also like to see you take on a well tuned Turbo 4 vehicle and you will understand what I mean after you breathe in some dust.

Furthermore, most buyers looking for SUVs are not interested in racing them. If you care so much about 0-100 time for your car, why not buy a real sports car? It seems like you only cares about what's written on the brochure and do not take into consideration of real life driving.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:41 PM
Instructor

The ELS sound system in the 2016 RDX is amazing. I really don't understand what some people are complaining about. Maybe the radio station they're tuning into doesn't have good reception. What people need to do is two things:

With your settings, all I hear is THUMP and THUMP. Where is the mid? Where is the HIGH? Where is the tremble? It might work for your kind of music (hard rock cafe or mid base crisis) but many of us don't listen to that kind of music.

If Acura put in a software graphic equalizer, then I can fine tune the system.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
As for Toyota and Nissan, show me one of their vehicles that has all the sensors that the 2016 RDX has. How about LED lights?
You're making too much of the LED lights. They're standard equipment on the Corolla for crying out loud. I suspect it won't be long until Toyota offers them on every model, and Toyota is far from a Pioneer in the industry.

2016 Toyota Corolla | Elevate your drive
Old 09-15-2015, 05:49 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by RSX_Takashi
May be a S2K? I also like to see you take on a well tuned Turbo 4 vehicle and you will understand what I mean after you breathe in some dust.

As an owner of both, damn right he'll be breathing dust!

PS - Now that is industry-leading luxury.

Last edited by Kaputnik; 09-15-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:15 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Luxury is like Beauty...Fit and finish...settle down people
Old 09-15-2015, 07:23 PM
Instructor

C'mon, look at the 0 to 100 km time of the 2016 RDX. It's as fast as some sports cars! ... Every time I drive my vehicle, I appreciate the smooth driving and the POWER. This thing has POWER!!!
Where can you find the 0 to 100 km (or quarter mile) numbers? It is not documented in the Acura website and in the brochure. I looked in the CA website and USA website and it is not documented anywhere. I know it is not customary for Acura (and probably Honda) to mention anything about quarter mile results and most testing is done by 3rd party. I really want to know where you are getting the numbers from and on and how you base your car as being "Fast".

P.S. "POWER" is meaningless without actual data to support it. Once again, you are making things up.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
Whoa! Something wrong with your hearing bruh. You need to make an appointment with an audiologist to find out what's up with your hearing issues.
Elliot Scheiner would be appalled at how you are abusing his wonderful system.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Some car review sites have tested it. The 0 to 60 mph time ranges from 5.8 seconds to 6.5 seconds. If you look at numbers of other cars in the class and even sedans and sports cars, this time is FAST. No wonder I'm finding that when the red light turns green, and just lightly tapping the gas, I accelerate faster than most cars beside me.

Where can you find the 0 to 100 km (or quarter mile) numbers? It is not documented in the Acura website and in the brochure. I looked in the CA website and USA website and it is not documented anywhere. I know it is not customary for Acura (and probably Honda) to mention anything about quarter mile results and most testing is done by 3rd party. I really want to know where you are getting the numbers from and on and how you base your car as being "Fast".

P.S. "POWER" is meaningless without actual data to support it. Once again, you are making things up.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Lol I don't turn it that loud all the time. Just wanted to show people how to experience the power of the ELS sound system.

Originally Posted by hand-filer
Whoa! Something wrong with your hearing bruh. You need to make an appointment with an audiologist to find out what's up with your hearing issues.
Elliot Scheiner would be appalled at how you are abusing his wonderful system.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:12 PM
Burning Brakes

With 0 to 60 mph times from 5.8 to 6.5 seconds, the 2016 RDX is faster than the Lexus RX, Lexus NX, audi q3, similar to the v6 audi q5. It is faster than the BMW X3 28i. For the BMW to be faster you need to pay a lot more for the 35i engine.

And you can name many more SUVs and even sedans and sports cars that would be defeated by the 2016 RDX in a race.

Originally Posted by Kaputnik

As an owner of both, damn right he'll be breathing dust!

PS - Now that is industry-leading luxury.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
You missed my point......entirely.

Lol I don't turn it that loud all the time. Just wanted to show people how to experience the power of the ELS sound system.
rbreeze (09-30-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 08:26 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Why does it seem like Rocky sounds like a 13 year old talking about his parents' car.

The RDX is a fine vehicle. It has a world class (for OE in this pricerange) audio system (as long as you keep the levels relatively flat), decent acceleration and braking and good fit and finish - but it isn't the world's greatest vehicle like rocky makes it out to be.
RSX_Takashi (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 08:30 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
its interesting how ppl define luxury

if you watch modern marvel's how its made car segments, alot of cost comes from special leather hides from special cattle (not sure if PETA would approve) and hand stitched

but unless you're sitting on your bare @$$, how u gonna appreciate it ?

if they put in luxurious gold as the metal trim, does it make the car drive better ?

do they put in tempur-pedic seats ?

does any of it matter ?

its no longer luxury segment, but more of whats fancy

i do think most luxury segments fall into that trap of their company counterparts
Old 09-15-2015, 08:30 PM
Burning Brakes

That's a great feature Toyota is offering in the 2016 Corolla. It's not comparable to the Acura headlights though. It takes more effort to design and build the Jewel Eye headlights which are like 10 headlights in one for the RDX and you get cool LED daytime running lights also. Much more expensive headlights than the Toyota. I wouldn't buy the Corolla though because it has 132 horsepower. I could see it being useful in a town where you don't use the highway much but for highway driving more power is better.

Originally Posted by HotRodW
You're making too much of the LED lights. They're standard equipment on the Corolla for crying out loud. I suspect it won't be long until Toyota offers them on every model, and Toyota is far from a Pioneer in the industry.

2016 Toyota Corolla | Elevate your drive
Old 09-15-2015, 08:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Let's be clear: the 2016 RDX IS the OVERALL greatest vehicle in its class (luxury compact SUV or compact SUV). After you factor in all its mechanical, sensory, and computer features, highest safety ratings achieved, renowned reliability, best resale value, and reasonably honest pricing. Tell me a single vehicle that is better than the 2016 RDX overall? You can't. Because this is the best overall! You're simply the best!!! Better than all the rest! Nerrr nerrrrr!!

Originally Posted by ceb
Why does it seem like Rocky sounds like a 13 year old talking about his parents' car.

The RDX is a fine vehicle. It has a world class (for OE in this pricerange) audio system (as long as you keep the levels relatively flat), decent acceleration and braking and good fit and finish - but it isn't the world's greatest vehicle like rocky makes it out to be.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:39 PM
Burning Brakes

You're right. That's where the 2016 RDX shines. It's intelligently designed. They put in the luxury features that are most useful and functional. For example, I don't need a leather wrapped dash. I sit on the seat not on the dash.

Originally Posted by sopmodm14
its interesting how ppl define luxury

if you watch modern marvel's how its made car segments, alot of cost comes from special leather hides from special cattle (not sure if PETA would approve) and hand stitched

but unless you're sitting on your bare @$$, how u gonna appreciate it ?

if they put in luxurious gold as the metal trim, does it make the car drive better ?

do they put in tempur-pedic seats ?

does any of it matter ?

its no longer luxury segment, but more of whats fancy

i do think most luxury segments fall into that trap of their company counterparts
Old 09-15-2015, 10:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaputnik
Such are the threads of bored car-guys discussing a new, problem-free, soccer-mom car with no aftermarket performance support. We all know the RDX is excellent, but not much to talk about.... . Be thankful guys aren't flaming each other in the "how to strap in a child-seat" thread.

At least we have performance mods, dyno tests, and plenty starting to go wrong with our aging cars to distract us over on the first gen side.
Haha I feel so much more civilized on the gen 1 part of the forum....nearly every thread on this side of the RDX forum has people arguing over seriously non-existent problems. Thank goodness for the turbo and SH-AWD!

Sidenote: Rockyboy is something else. No further comment.
The following 2 users liked this post by RDX10:
Comfy (09-27-2015), Kaputnik (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 10:40 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
The wind noise comes from the glass. The glass on the sides are not acoustic and do not keep the noise level to minimum
Old 09-15-2015, 11:12 PM
Instructor

Some car review sites have tested it. The 0 to 60 mph time ranges from 5.8 seconds to 6.5 seconds. If you look at numbers of other cars in the class and even sedans and sports cars, this time is FAST. No wonder I'm finding that when the red light turns green, and just lightly tapping the gas, I accelerate faster than most cars beside me.
Of course you accelerate fast because others are not accelerating the same rate as you are. It's straight common sense. Everyone knows a jack rabbit start from a complete stop costs gas. To save gas, most people accelerate slowly. Your point regarding the car accelerating fast is bull.

You trust some review sites because the information is your liking. Little do you know that vehicle acceleration testing methods need to be validated to be correct. Testing can be done in many ways. If the testing site is unable to generate a concrete number and instead provide a range, it means that there are some errors within the test method such that it cannot be properly resolved. I suggest you check your numbers before you comment on acceleration. As I said before, you will LOOSE to a 4 cylinder.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:20 PM
Instructor

With 0 to 60 mph times from 5.8 to 6.5 seconds, the 2016 RDX is faster than the Lexus RX, Lexus NX, audi q3, similar to the v6 audi q5. It is faster than the BMW X3 28i. For the BMW to be faster you need to pay a lot more for the 35i engine.

And you can name many more SUVs and even sedans and sports cars that would be defeated by the 2016 RDX in a race.
I test drive the RDX and I can safely estimate that 0 to 60 mph times is more in the ball park of 6.9 seconds. You can quote whatever BS websites and say all you want. I know my body and my eyes will not lie to me. You can fantasize all you want until you get your butt kicked by a Turbo 4 engine.

Originally Posted by hand-filer
You missed my point......entirely.
I think he missed my point too. It's not entirely new. Rockboy seems to think he is correct all the time and ignore everyone.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:21 PM
Burning Brakes

How is the RDX with 279 HP and 252 ft lb torque going to lose to a 4 cylinder unless that 4 cylinder vehicle is the Mercedes GLA AMG 4 cylinder with 355 horsepower. Most 4 cylinders are a lot weaker than 279 horsepower. Even with turbocharging, the RDX will still beat most 4 cylinders since its acceleration is faster. Take the ultimate driving machine, the BMW. The RDX will beat any BMW 4 cylinder SUV that is from the car dealership and probably the 4 cylinder sedans as well.

Of course you accelerate fast because others are not accelerating the same rate as you are. It's straight common sense. Everyone knows a jack rabbit start from a complete stop costs gas. To save gas, most people accelerate slowly. Your point regarding the car accelerating fast is bull.

You trust some review sites because the information is your liking. Little do you know that vehicle acceleration testing methods need to be validated to be correct. Testing can be done in many ways. If the testing site is unable to generate a concrete number and instead provide a range, it means that there are some errors within the test method such that it cannot be properly resolved. I suggest you check your numbers before you comment on acceleration. As I said before, you will LOOSE to a 4 cylinder.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:39 PM
Instructor

That's a great feature Toyota is offering in the 2016 Corolla. It's not comparable to the Acura headlights though. It takes more effort to design and build the Jewel Eye headlights which are like 10 headlights in one for the RDX and you get cool LED daytime running lights also. Much more expensive headlights than the Toyota. I wouldn't buy the Corolla though because it has 132 horsepower. I could see it being useful in a town where you don't use the highway much but for highway driving more power is better.
Actually the effort is all done in the computers. Computer design, computer build. No human interaction is required. As silly as it might sound, both headlights meet US DOT standards. Based on your description of the Jewel eye headlights it appears that you have no idea how headlight optics work. It will be a waste of my time to try to describe it here as you will never understand it. You only copy things out of the car brochure and quote it here to make it sound like you know what you are talking about. Unfortunately such action further highlights your lack of knowledge.

Don't even talk about horsepower and highway driving. You always think more is better. I hate to break it to you, but that is not always the case in the real world. Having a 300 hp car does not always guarantee that you can pass with ease. It can, but not always. Again, I will stop here as you do not understand.

Let's be clear: the 2016 RDX IS the OVERALL greatest vehicle in its class (luxury compact SUV or compact SUV). After you factor in all its mechanical, sensory, and computer features, highest safety ratings achieved, renowned reliability, best resale value, and reasonably honest pricing. Tell me a single vehicle that is better than the 2016 RDX overall? You can't. Because this is the best overall! You're simply the best!!! Better than all the rest! Nerrr nerrrrr!!
Grow up, ROCKBABY. You are starting to show your true self: Insecure, Inmature, and inferior. Furthermore, it confirms ALL my previous assumptions about you.

You're right. That's where the 2016 RDX shines. It's intelligently designed. They put in the luxury features that are most useful and functional. For example, I don't need a leather wrapped dash. I sit on the seat not on the dash.
It seems you spend more time on the computer defending yourself by copying words out of websites and brochures. Of course you don't need leather wrapped dash. You only care about hp numbers written on the brochure and falls in love with any video and website that confirms your thoughts without even questioning its validity.

Originally Posted by ceb

The RDX is a fine vehicle... but it isn't the world's greatest vehicle like rocky makes it out to be.
True that. I think Rockbaby just showed his ugly self and couldn't defend himself anymore as his knowledge hit the maximum capacity. His ability to transcribe information from the brochure has reached a limit where it further highlights his lack of knowledge of the real world where things don't always happen in a controlled manner.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:41 PM
Instructor

How is the RDX with 279 HP and 252 ft lb torque going to lose to a 4 cylinder unless that 4 cylinder vehicle is the Mercedes GLA AMG 4 cylinder with 355 horsepower. Most 4 cylinders are a lot weaker than 279 horsepower. Even with turbocharging, the RDX will still beat most 4 cylinders since its acceleration is faster. Take the ultimate driving machine, the BMW. The RDX will beat any BMW 4 cylinder SUV that is from the car dealership and probably the 4 cylinder sedans as well.
My point exactly. Rockbaby does not understand. It will be a waste of time to explain.

What a waste of 35 years of your life and not learned anything from school. Go back to school and learn.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:00 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RDX10
Haha I feel so much more civilized on the gen 1 part of the forum....nearly every thread on this side of the RDX forum has people arguing over seriously non-existent problems. Thank goodness for the turbo and SH-AWD!

Sidenote: Rockyboy is something else. No further comment.
Correction. As soon as Rockboy shows up and tells everyone he uses a white RDX as a "toy" and fantasizes of winning street races, everything gone sideways and downhill. Everything is fine before then.

Wait until he wins a self race with a RDX with Turbo and SH-AWD (or any Turbo 4 cars) and brags about it here then all will go downhill. Note the key words: "SELF RACE".
Old 09-16-2015, 12:27 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
*chews*
Old 09-16-2015, 08:50 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

... You only copy things out of the car brochure and quote it here to make it sound like you know what you are talking about...

Don't even talk about horsepower and highway driving. You always think more is better....

It seems you spend more time on the computer defending yourself by copying words out of websites and brochures... You only care about hp numbers written on the brochure and falls in love with any video and website that confirms your thoughts without even questioning its validity.... His ability to transcribe information from the brochure has reached a limit where it further highlights his lack of knowledge of the real world where things don't always happen in a controlled manner.
You're right. Rocky sounds like all of us "car guys" when we were between 10 and our very early teens.

For me, that was long before computers but I knew all of the "specs" from Tom McCahill

Quick Reply: 2016 Acura RDX - luxury or just an expensive honda?