2016 Acura RDX - luxury or just an expensive honda?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 09:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by SladeHayes
I've been watching this from afar, and because I've had my vehicle for 4 months and I'm a glutton for punishment, I'll go ahead and offer up my views...

Getting this out of the way first - this is my 7th Honda product we've had in the family. My wife and I are those yuppie dorks that have matching vehicles, she has a '16 ILX. (We can go on about her car over in the ILX forum if anyone wants to play along).

I shopped for my SUV purchase for about 3 years before pulling the trigger on the RDX. I knew that I needed 4 seats, some cargo area, all wheel drive and I wanted it to be safe, fun to drive (respectfully) and it had to fit in the garage. Not in that order, but you get the idea.

The contenders: Porsche Macan, Audi Q5, Lexus NX, Mazda 5, CRV & RDX.

Porsche & Audi are tiny in the back seat. I'm 6'4" and the wife is 5' 10", and we have 2 daughters that are not short, so the German cars that share the same platform were out.

The Lexus is a polarizing vehicle on the exterior, I like it, the wife does not, but we both agreed that the cockpit can induce claustrophobia, so that was kicked out. I didn't mind its tight confines, but it has a wonky dashboard, and a nav screen that looks like it was glued in place...Not gonna want to stare at that for 4 years.

Mazda 5. I rented a bunch of these while traveling for work. Not a bad car. I didn't hate it, and I certainly didn't love it either. It lacked a few things that I wanted (LKAS., LED headlights and ventilated front seats), and didn't come near the HP of some of the others...

CR-V - Here's where it gets interesting. The CR-V was the front runner for a LONG time. It made the most sense. It had pretty much everything I wanted, and it fit in the garage. But I had to drive them back to back, which I did. The CR-V's CVT transmission killed it for me. I read tons of posts about the vibration issues that Honda had, and the lengths they were going to in order to appease owners, and the oddball fixes they put in place for the 2016 models. I drove 3, never felt or had the issue, but didn't want to own it for 6 months and then have the problem arise.

When I drove the CR-V and RDX back to back, the small differences in the fit and finish, the power of the RDX vs the CRV and the overall luxury of the RDX won me over. I could justify the difference in price, and its what I wanted. It feels more upscale. Its quieter, the interior is better designed, and its pretty damn quick. The CRV was also a tad bit too big.

I have my caveats with it, and they're minor:

Mine is white and like ALL OTHER WHITE ACURA PRODUCTS, the front and rear bumpers are ever so slightly differently coloured than the rest of the car. Same with the mirrors. I think that their paint cures or is applied in a different process than the rest of the car, but in direct sun, you can see it. Not a deal breaker, but I see it.

Why do I have to go and buy my own LED bulbs for my 2016 vehicle, Acura? Why? You put them in some areas of the car, but not all. Weird.

The stupid trunk tray is slippery. Things move around on it. It should be grippy. Also, why you no give me the tonneau cover for that area, Acura? WHY do I have to buy it?

Steering and handling are a bit vague. Just kinda floaty. I don't mind because this thing gobbles up highway miles every day, but its not a memorable driving experience in the least.

I don't mind the 2 screen setup. It took me about 10 min to get the hang of it, and its fine. I like having all those screens. It makes me feel like I'm driving a mighty craft, capable of various and impressive things, and I can view all the channels on XM.

Things I like
Its a pleasure to drive. My last car was a 2004 Civic Si. I loved that car, but it was a chore. It was unforgiving in its ride, it was loud, it had a weirdly placed but silky smooth shifter, and begged me for a 6th gear that Honda never gave it. The RDX is like a fast, smooth cloud. I commute a lot, and the RDX is great for that.

Its the perfect size for my needs. I have enough room for the family, and our gear when we travel. Not a lot of room, but enough. It has a nice center console for hiding snacks.

It has ventilated and heated seats. I like those, a lot. When you're done with a 40 mile mountain bike ride in June, and you hop into the car and hit the button for the seat fan it makes up for the missing LED bulbs.

Yes, its a Honda product. What that means is that it is pretty reliable. Its also very very conservative. You're gonna get the features that everyone else has, a cycle or two later, but they're going to be bulletproof. I've never regretted a Honda purchase. I've been envious of my friends that have other makes, but not to the point that I've regretted my decisions.

If there was some way to cobble all the features from every other make into one car, I'd do it. There's not. There's a huge amount of trade offs with a vehicle purchase. I know that. I wanted the driving experience of the Porsche, with the cost of the Honda, and the space of the Acura. Not going to happen.

Its not a perfect car. There are no perfect cars. It fulfills my needs and desires almost to the letter. I love my car.
This is a forum, you can state whatever opinion you have whether negative or postive and who cares what others think. I think you summed it up perfectly, and is exactly how I would describe it. It is a very good car for the intended audiences. Lacking some things that make you scratch your head, but over all a very good car. I would say the drivetrain is the highlight of the rdx.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:19 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
SladeHayes;

Enjoyed your post. My reasons for selecting the RDX over the completion were almost exactly the same as yours.

Contrary to your experience, I have found the RDX handles very well. I didn't feel that way after the initial purchase, but after increasing tire pressure to 37 PSI, the cornering on tight curves comes close to my Subaru Legacy Limited. I am quite impressed.

I have read many comments such as " a luxury vehicle should have a heated steering wheel and the RDX doesn't", or "the navigation system isn't as good as what I experienced in vehicle "X"". I recently attended the largest "outdoor auto show" in Canada, and I sat in vehicles manufactured by all the major manufactures. In almost every vehicle I found a feature that that I wished I had in the RDX. At the same time I never saw another vehicle that had as many features I wanted, as the RDX . I left the auto show feeling happy that I had purchased the best vehicle to suit my needs.

The fact that it is a Honda also gives me some peace of mind regarding reliability and resale value. So as you said, It's not a perfect car, and it's missing a few options that I would have liked, but overall it was the best vehicle at the auto show that suited my needs and budget. In fact I preferred the RDX over several vehicles that were beyond my budget.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:21 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
SladeHayes;

Enjoyed your post. My reasons for selecting the RDX over the completion were almost exactly the same as yours.

Contrary to your experience, I have found the RDX handles very well. I didn't feel that way after the initial purchase, but after increasing tire pressure to 37 PSI, the cornering on tight curves comes close to my Subaru Legacy Limited. I am quite impressed.

I have read many comments such as " a luxury vehicle should have a heated steering wheel and the RDX doesn't", or "the navigation system isn't as good as what I experienced in vehicle "X"". I recently attended the largest "outdoor auto show" in Canada, and I sat in vehicles manufactured by all the major manufactures. In almost every vehicle I found a feature that that I wished I had in the RDX. At the same time I never saw another vehicle that had as many features I wanted, as the RDX . I left the auto show feeling happy that I had purchased the best vehicle to suit my needs.

The fact that it is a Honda also gives me some peace of mind regarding reliability and resale value. So as you said, It's not a perfect car, and it's missing a few options that I would have liked, but overall it was the best vehicle at the auto show that suited my needs and budget. In fact I preferred the RDX over several vehicles that were beyond my budget.
Agree with your view completely. I did the same thing at the Toronto Auto show. Sat in a bunch of models - BMW, etc. Also test drove the Volvo XC60 and the Mercedes GLC. Landed on the RDX as the best value for me. I really didn't feel the German models were in class above in terms of interior luxury (I took photos of the interior of all the cars I sat in and compared afterwards) and I didn't feel the much trumpeted handling benefits would be of much use driving in the city. In addition, the 3 person 'real' capacity in the second row in the Acura was important to me-- ie no hump. Yeah wish it had the heated steering and low speed adaptive cruise but love the 2 screen display and price point.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:53 AM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Sorry, but Acuras are no longer reliable vehicles. No better than 50% of the other brands. Porsche, however, is a different story.

See, you're letting the stigmas, whether positive or negative, decide your car purchase for you. I'm sure you will come back and say your RDX has been perfect, and I'm sure it has- no one said everyone of their cars will fall apart. But don't kid yourself in thinking Acuras are what they used to be.
I've wondered about the claim "Sorry, but Acuras are no longer reliable vehicles. No better than 50% of the other brands." What data is this claim based on? My scan of Acura reliability shows they are still very reliable. The Consumer Reports 2016 Buying Guide, for example, shows very strong reliability numbers for most of the lineup. Where they show concerns the data are only for one year. For the others where there is at least a five year data set, the Acuras are listed as "Better than Average" (by definition better than 50% of other vehicles). And that includes the RDX which the interest on this site.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
If you were to design a car that is reasonably priced, what would you leave in the car and what would you leave out? These are the things that must be decided. The brilliant thing about the 2016 Acura RDX team is they left in the more important things:

-Superb natural v6 engine that gives it one of the fastest acceleration in the class, handling, and suspension
-Loaded with all modern safety features and driver assist
-Superior LED headlights
-Superior sound system (ELS which is better than the sound system found in Lexus and Rolls Royce btw)
-Some of the best leather seats you'll find in terms of comfort (you can drive long distances your back is still good)
-Heated front and rear seats, and ventilated front seats
-Auto dimming rear view AND side view mirrors (this helps a lot for night driving when cars are behind you)
-2 big colour navigation/scontrol screens and one small navigation/info screen (navigation screen is built with a shelter than prevents sun glare)

Some people complain that other brands have better interiors. Some point to the Lexus NX. It is true that the Lexus NX has more soft touch materials and leather. The RDX does not have a leather dash (it is not that important though because you sit on the leather seats not on the dash) and they left out soft touch material on the lower parts of the door (also not important because they put soft touch materials where you rest your arms and you don't rest them on the lower part of the doors). For the Lexus NX's small number of extra leather and soft touch materials in the interior, are you willing to pay $15,000 Canadian more? (compare a fully loaded RDX to a fully loaded NX). That's what you're paying for a bit more leather on the interior and a bit more soft touch material. In return you get a weaker 4 cylinder engine and cramped cabin.

There's really only one really important thing that they left out in the RDX. They should have put more sound dampeners in it to reduce wind noise. It's not unbearable but it's noticeable when you're on the highway. When you're driving city it's fine.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
Before purchasing the 2016 RDX, I also looked at the Lexus NX, BMW X3, Audi Q5, and Infiniti QX50.
Same here before purchasing my 2017 RDX Elite but with the Porsche Macan, BMW 328d (diesel wagon) and Lexus RX350 added to your list as well.
I test drove the Macan, BMW X3, BMW 328d, Infinity QX50 and Acura RDX.

I have to agree with the OP on some observations. I would have gone for a new top of the line CR-V but not with the engine it comes with.
As for the Porsche and BMWs, I didn't want the image of the marque. Plus I wanted to avoid a turbo in a daily driver.
As for performance, its a daily driver and that is not at the top of my list; reliability and comfort are. I can hop into my Porsche 911 when I want performance.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:58 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Expensive Honda.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Himecraig
Expensive Honda.
And so is a Honda Accord compared to a Honda Fit. And they both get you from A to B. It is how you choose to get from A to B.

Yup, and the Acura parts all come in Honda parts packaging....maybe because Honda is the manufacturer. :wink:
Old 09-17-2017, 09:00 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Tech
And so is a Honda Accord compared to a Honda Fit. And they both get you from A to B. It is how you choose to get from A to B.

Yup, and the Acura parts all come in Honda parts packaging....maybe because Honda is the manufacturer. :wink:
Not sure I'm following...just agreeing with everything written on this page and answering the question in the title.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Himecraig
Not sure I'm following...just agreeing with everything written on this page and answering the question in the title.
Well it is expensive, but it is an Acura. I think it is great value and one of the last vehicles in its class with a V6. Everything is heading four-cylinder turbo.

It is certainly a lot less expensive than an equally equipped Macan I was pricing out and probably a whole lot more reliable long term as in 15 years.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:11 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Based on? Curious to see your reliability statistics for each model, along with a full in depth analysis as to what generally fails, why, and how much it is to repair under normal circumstances.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:26 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Based on? Curious to see your reliability statistics for each model, along with a full in depth analysis as to what generally fails, why, and how much it is to repair under normal circumstances.
Exactly.... The transmission in my RDX really worries me. Very clunky and seems to get worse as the miles add up. We are at 36k on our 16. I have serious doubts about it lasting 100k.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:55 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
We use our RDX as basic transportation for getting from one point to another. There is nothing "luxurious or sporty" about it. I think the RDX is not just an expensive honda, but is in fact just an overpriced honda. It lacks technology that is available on the civic and accord - technology that has been there for a number of years and it uses an old accord engine (an engine honda quit using in the accord in 2013). It's not even in the same league as the CR-V when it comes to technology. And my transmission also clunks at low rpm when taking off or slowing down and has for most of 22k miles on it.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:56 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
My RDX is just my beater A to B ride.. When I want fun and luxury, I can just drive by Pagani Huyaryaryaryaryaryayryaraiaiaiai
Old 09-19-2017, 08:47 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tech
Well it is expensive, but it is an Acura. I think it is great value and one of the last vehicles in its class with a V6. Everything is heading four-cylinder turbo.

It is certainly a lot less expensive than an equally equipped Macan I was pricing out and probably a whole lot more reliable long term as in 15 years.
Every bit as important as the naturally aspiring V-6 engine, is the tried and true 6 speed transmission.

While I haven't driven higher geared transmissions myself, friends who have have told me that they are constantly shifting.

And one friend who had a Lexus loaner (NX) told me that it was underpowered, and awful to drive.

While we waited a good long time to order our RDX, everything I see and hear tells me that we made the right decision.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:18 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by barnowl
Every bit as important as the naturally aspiring V-6 engine, is the tried and true 6 speed transmission.

While I haven't driven higher geared transmissions myself, friends who have have told me that they are constantly shifting.

And one friend who had a Lexus loaner (NX) told me that it was underpowered, and awful to drive.

While we waited a good long time to order our RDX, everything I see and hear tells me that we made the right decision.
I certainly hope your 6-sp shifts more smoothly than mine does. My 2011 Tacoma has a much smoother 4-sp auto....
Old 09-19-2017, 11:27 AM
Intermediate

Is it perfect?

Nah. I've felt a little bump when I'm slowing down, but then accelerate, but I don't consider that a big deal.

Normal acceleration, it's pretty smooth.

My brother had an ILX as a loaner, which had a 9 speed (I think).

He told me that it was constantly shifting. All over the place.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:16 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by chickdr
I certainly hope your 6-sp shifts more smoothly than mine does. My 2011 Tacoma has a much smoother 4-sp auto....
We are coming up on 15k on our '17 Advance....tranny is butter smooth for up and downshifts. Sorry yours is not....too bad the dealer won't look at it as abhorrent and fix or replace it.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by snorf
We use our RDX as basic transportation for getting from one point to another. There is nothing "luxurious or sporty" about it. I think the RDX is not just an expensive honda, but is in fact just an overpriced honda. It lacks technology that is available on the civic and accord - technology that has been there for a number of years and it uses an old accord engine (an engine honda quit using in the accord in 2013). It's not even in the same league as the CR-V when it comes to technology. And my transmission also clunks at low rpm when taking off or slowing down and has for most of 22k miles on it.
The RDX is over 50K in Canada and I personally see it as an overpriced Honda for all the reasons you outlined above and for the fact that many current Honda badged models have more advanced drive trains and technology and that should never ever happen. 50k is not chump change and really is getting up there in the price.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:40 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Doobiewah
We are coming up on 15k on our '17 Advance....tranny is butter smooth for up and downshifts. Sorry yours is not....too bad the dealer won't look at it as abhorrent and fix or replace it.
I don't think it is just our RDX as all the loaners I have driven are the same(at least 5 other 16-17 RDX's). I believe some just haven't experienced a truly smooth transmission. It all depends on what you have to compare it to.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by chickdr
I don't think it is just our RDX as all the loaners I have driven are the same(at least 5 other 16-17 RDX's). I believe some just haven't experienced a truly smooth transmission. It all depends on what you have to compare it to.
I can't remember where I read it but there was this article talking about Honda's history with AT transmissions and how in 1998 there was a patent on the standard way of making AT transmissions and therefore Honda had to completely redesign how the AT worked (hence why there was an enormous failure rate on V6 equipped Hondas and Acuras from about 1999-2005ish). I think it is because of that very reason that Honda and Acura transmission are never really butter smooth.

Alternatively, like you mentioned above it really depends what you are coming from in order to make a statement of "butter smooth" or not. I had the MDX and RDX and neither was that smooth (nothing bad at all, but NOT silky) and then I had my 2012 Sorento with the Hyundai-Kia 6AT and it was a lot like the Honda-Acura 5AT in my MDX and RDX. My dad recently bought a Hyundai Veracruz and those use the Aisin (Toyota) 6AT and I can honestly say I have never driven anything with such a silky tranny. It's like pure butter. It's literally like driving a CVT, incredibly incredibly smooth. I have experience with the ZF 8AT, Hyundai 8AT, Jeep 8AT (also a ZF box), Acura ZF9, Acura 6AT and numerous others and nothing has come as close to the smoothness of that Toyota 6AT.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:52 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by barnowl
I recently test drove a Lexus NX. It is a bit underpowered (not a lot) compared to the RSX, and not as quiet during acceleration. Its cargo area is smaller than the RDX which was a drawback for me. However, I thought it was fine to drive, not awful at all.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:17 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The RDX is an expensive three+ year old CR-V without the toys but with a real engine and tranny. It is also smaller in cargo space, down grade in tech, and difficult to get Acura (Canada) to fix "broken/defective" items. My 15 RDX has been in and had five complete GPS/HFL/Bluetooth/HDDs replacements to fix an issue that continues to elude them. The general response is that we have to start over each time we do the replacement and it doesn't resolve the issue as per Acura Canada's directions. It would be funny if it didn't make me cry!

With a horrible dealer network, especially in markets where there is only one dealer like Winnipeg, MB, Canada. Their mantra is "customer is always wrong and hasn't paid enough to drive AND service an Acura yet" in case of disagreement see the previous dealer Mantra/statement.

Last edited by visiter555; 12-09-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:26 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
"I know all cars have issues of one sort or another, but I think if you’re going to call yourself a premium or luxury car you should havesomething that is above and beyond the non-luxury car. I don’t see it in the RDX. "

Life is too short to be unhappy with your upscale honda - you should sell it and buy something more classy---sheeesh............
Old 12-17-2017, 11:45 AM
Advanced

I am awaiting an offer to do that from Acura Canada. The dealer loves it as the continuous warranty coverage payments from Acura are great for their bottom line.

looks like we will be moving to the Infinity 350 ...

this the he second of my 11 Acuras in 17 years that Acura couldn't fix. Previous was a 2003 EL that the dash would randomly die and the only solution not tried was replacing the entire wiring harness after doing tons of work and seven instrument cluster replacements as well as providing a loaner for five months while Acura Canada tried to fix the issue.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:45 AM
Advanced

I am awaiting an offer to do that from Acura Canada. The dealer loves it as the continuous warranty coverage payments from Acura are great for their bottom line.

looks like we will be moving to the Infinity 350 ...

this is the second of my 11 Acuras in 17 years that Acura couldn't fix. Previous was a 2003 EL that the dash would randomly die and the only solution not tried was replacing the entire wiring harness after doing tons of work and seven instrument cluster replacements as well as providing a loaner for five months while Acura Canada tried to fix the issue.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:17 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by snorf
I'm suprised you still own a RDX
Old 12-18-2017, 09:35 AM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by srpuywa
I'm suprised you still own a RDX
It was what my wife wanted for her 60th birthday.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:39 AM
Advanced

my wife's 17 RDX base model must be a fluke - it has no engine/transmission, interior or exterior issues - she likes it
Old 11-04-2019, 06:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i didn't read all the other comments and I'll prob catch hell from my opinion but I just feel like putting my 2 cents in here...

while i can't speak from experience on the newer model Honda's and Acuras i can tell you my experience relating to an 03 Accord EX and an 05 Acura TSX..

the 03 Accord beat the 05 TSX hands down! not only was it a better value for the money.. even if they'd cost the same amount the Honda would still be the clear winner in my opinion. the Accord was a V6 while the TSX was only 4 cylinder but I've driven 4 cylinder Accords and still feel like the drive is better. it's smoother, doesn't pause as long before accelerating, has more room & has all the features the TSX has. the stock sound system was WAY better! several people actually asked me if i had upgraded my sound system in my Accord bc the bass was so powerful. in the Acura i can't even turn the bass up bc it rattles something in the doors but even if i just turned it up and ignored the rattle it still wouldn't have anywhere near the deep bass "bump" as the Accord. there were 8 cup holders in the Accord. one in each door and 2 between the front and rear seats. that was a much better use of space than the TSX which if they had just shaped the inside of the doors a little differently could have accommodated cup holders but that wasn't the case. but the main thing i hate about the TSX is the fact that the seats are not real leather and feel crappy compared to the Accord seats which seemed real to me. i know the TSX seats are fake leather bc my driver's seat got a tear which grew to the point where i could see the materials really well and it def wasn't leather. also the edges started almost peeling and looked white when the "leather" seat color was black. nothing like that happened in my Accord.

it's unbelievable to me that an Acura that's 2 years newer than it's equivalent Honda has so many disadvantages compared to the latter. i got the Acura because i loved my Honda so much and THOUGHT it was supposed to be a luxury version of Honda but instead I just kept being disappointed by all the different aspects that proved to be less than!!

Unless things have seriously changed, which i doubt, i don't see the newer Acuras being a better choice than a Honda. Oh yea and the customer service for Honda is way better than Acura.