2016 Acura RDX - luxury or just an expensive honda?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 01:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyboy
Personally, I like the K900 and the Genesis (especially when it becomes a separate division from Hyundai) but Acura is still considered a more marquee brand (especially in the eyes of single women looking at a man's car), and reliability is still higher.

I did consider the Porsche Macan while I was doing research on which vehicle to get. I narrowed it down to the Porsche Macan, BMW X4, Lexus RX350, Mercedes GLA and the Acura RDX. I got the Acura because it was BY FAR the best value and most intelligent choice for purchase. I was close to getting the Macan but decided not to mainly because the maintenance and repair costs are way too high. Sure it would be fun to drive around in, but when it comes time for maintenance, do I really want that burden? I opted for the Acura RDX, a cool vehicle I feel great in and leaves me with no worries.

Sorry, but Acuras are no longer reliable vehicles. No better than 50% of the other brands. Porsche, however, is a different story.

See, you're letting the stigmas, whether positive or negative, decide your car purchase for you. I'm sure you will come back and say your RDX has been perfect, and I'm sure it has- no one said everyone of their cars will fall apart. But don't kid yourself in thinking Acuras are what they used to be.
The following 2 users liked this post by TacoBello:
colt427 (05-31-2016), YeuEmMaiMai (06-04-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 03:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 880 Likes on 673 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Sorry, but Acuras are no longer reliable vehicles. No better than 50% of the other brands. Porsche, however, is a different story.

See, you're letting the stigmas, whether positive or negative, decide your car purchase for you. I'm sure you will come back and say your RDX has been perfect, and I'm sure it has- no one said everyone of their cars will fall apart. But don't kid yourself in thinking Acuras are what they used to be.

Perfect summed up post! Agree 1000%.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:09 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello

Originally Posted by RDX10

Perfect summed up post! Agree 1000%.
Depends on the perspective you're viewing it from too.

My Yukon gave me 110k trouble free miles until a mod I had added at 20k miles wreaked all sorts of havoc.

My following car, the S6 was probably the most reliable car I owned with no issues in the 80+k miles that I owned it.

Then came a GTI and an R32 - fairly reliable but niggling little problems that required lots of dealer visits.

Those were followed by a 335xi - the cheapest car ever to maintain as the price included maintenance - but the most unreliable car ever. The first car since my 72 280S Coupe to leave me stranded.

Then followed my two TSX's - never left me stranded but a few extra trips to the dealer to sort things out - nothing serious and most were dealer inflicted. The only issue now is a wonky cigarette lighter that loves to munch on fuses.

So, the Acura is far more reliable than a Yugo, Trabant or BMW, but less reliable than Lexus, Honda or (dare I say it) Hyundai or Kia - a scary thought.

Oddly enough, in Europe, VW, Audi and Mercedes all beat all of the Japanese and Korean makes in reliability. My theory is that it is all because of dealerships and their ability to resolve issues.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ceb
Depends on the perspective you're viewing it from too.

My Yukon gave me 110k trouble free miles until a mod I had added at 20k miles wreaked all sorts of havoc.

My following car, the S6 was probably the most reliable car I owned with no issues in the 80+k miles that I owned it.

Then came a GTI and an R32 - fairly reliable but niggling little problems that required lots of dealer visits.

Those were followed by a 335xi - the cheapest car ever to maintain as the price included maintenance - but the most unreliable car ever. The first car since my 72 280S Coupe to leave me stranded.

Then followed my two TSX's - never left me stranded but a few extra trips to the dealer to sort things out - nothing serious and most were dealer inflicted. The only issue now is a wonky cigarette lighter that loves to munch on fuses.

So, the Acura is far more reliable than a Yugo, Trabant or BMW, but less reliable than Lexus, Honda or (dare I say it) Hyundai or Kia - a scary thought.

Oddly enough, in Europe, VW, Audi and Mercedes all beat all of the Japanese and Korean makes in reliability. My theory is that it is all because of dealerships and their ability to resolve issues.
Why european cars are more reliable in europe is mind boggling to me. Europeans commonly use bmw's, mercedes, and volvo's for police cars, taxis, emergency vehicles...etc. Like they are common and don't hold any prestige. While here bmw's and mercs are the least reliable things to roll on wheels, after range rovers of course.

If Acura is 10 years behind in tech. Not anymore reliable than anything else on the road, infact actually worse than many. Less luxurious than some mainstream vehicles with less features even available. Uglier interiors with worse user interfaces as well. Just ok engine choices (excelt ilx, that thing is GROSSLY under powered). So I guess why even buy a modern Acura then?

With the new NSX out, it shows and proves that they can build a really good car, why can't that trickle into the rest of the line up?
Old 06-02-2016, 09:35 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
LOL!!! I had to laugh! I just saw a friend's new Nissan Frontier pickup with a 4 cyl engine. Auto reviewers say it is in serious need of a refresh. The first thing I noticed in this econobox of a compact pickup was the TWO 12-Volt power outlets (aka cigarette lighters). TWO! It wasn't bad enough to see two 12-Volt power outlets in the baseline Kia Optima rental I had last week, but now I see them in an outdated Nissan pickup - but not even available in the top of the line Acura RDX.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by snorf
LOL!!! I had to laugh! I just saw a friend's new Nissan Frontier pickup with a 4 cyl engine. Auto reviewers say it is in serious need of a refresh. The first thing I noticed in this econobox of a compact pickup was the TWO 12-Volt power outlets (aka cigarette lighters). TWO! It wasn't bad enough to see two 12-Volt power outlets in the baseline Kia Optima rental I had last week, but now I see them in an outdated Nissan pickup - but not even available in the top of the line Acura RDX.
I initially thought the ilx was acura's "cheap car" a.k.a the one car in the lineup that is the cheapest and has the lowest quality interior. Sadly after spending a day in an ilx, it turns out the rdx is.

They cost cut in some really really stupid places, like no low washer fluid warning sensor? Give me a flipping break. When a 10k nissan micra has that "feature" you KNOW something is wrong. The ilx was surprising in its' decent use of soft touch materials (no better than an optima or sonata mind you) whereas the rdx really dissapointed me in that area. I think the rear doors are almost all hard plastic (but could be wrong)
Old 06-03-2016, 06:25 AM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
I initially thought the ilx was acura's "cheap car" a.k.a the one car in the lineup that is the cheapest and has the lowest quality interior. Sadly after spending a day in an ilx, it turns out the rdx is.

They cost cut in some really really stupid places, like no low washer fluid warning sensor? Give me a flipping break. When a 10k nissan micra has that "feature" you KNOW something is wrong. The ilx was surprising in its' decent use of soft touch materials (no better than an optima or sonata mind you) whereas the rdx really dissapointed me in that area. I think the rear doors are almost all hard plastic (but could be wrong)
Wow!
You really hate the RDX.
Look it has a lot of cons but more pros.
My biggest gripe is ride quality and a bit of wind noise but I'm coming out of Lexus RX350's.
An Advance for $40K is a decent bang for the buck.Unless you want a KIA or Hyundai.

I can tell you my Sonata is even more of a great bang for the buck and has had no problems at all at 10K miles.Ride great and quieter than the RDX.
If the Sonata continues to please,I would definitely look into a loaded with every option Santa Fe or Sorento in the future.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:24 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
I would certainly say the other contender in our hunt - the Hyundai Tuscon- had every bit of the quality our RDX Advance has. It also had a panoramic sunroof and heated rear seats all for about 10K less than the RDX. When it came down to it I would have picked the Tuscon for cost savings but the girlfriend didn't want to drive a "Hyundai".
Old 06-03-2016, 04:13 PM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
They cost cut in some really really stupid places, like no low washer fluid warning sensor?
That's not really cost-cutting for the RDX specifically as the sensor is just something that American Honda has never put into their cars historically. On the other hand, the sensor (and larger reservoir) is found on almost all Hondas/Acuras in Canada.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:32 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by colt427
Wow!
You really hate the RDX.
My biggest gripe is ride quality and a bit of wind noise but I'm coming out of Lexus RX350's.
An Advance for $40K is a decent bang for the buck.Unless you want a KIA or Hyundai.

I can tell you my Sonata is even more of a great bang for the buck and has had no problems at all at 10K miles.Ride great and quieter than the RDX.
If the Sonata continues to please,I would definitely look into a loaded with every option Santa Fe or Sorento in the future.
RDX10 is just the completely opposite side of RockyBoy, they are both from Canada, one hater and one lover, one from the West and one from the East, and both trolls.
The following users liked this post:
Stanuwmad (10-06-2017)
Old 06-03-2016, 06:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by colt427
Wow!
You really hate the RDX.

I don't hate it. I really don't hate it. I just have a very strong opinion about it and I am just very direct with my opinions. I never said my opinion was law or correct. It is just the way I see it obviously. It has a crap ton of pros, more than it does cons. Every car has some cons obviously. I know I obviously sound like the biggest hater this side of saskatchewan. I am just a very picky person and it is very hard to impress me. I call out things how I see them and don't pull punches. I am not going to appologize for stating my opinion. And if crimson elan doesn't like that, he can feel free to take a hyke.

Last edited by RDX10; 06-03-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:22 PM
Advanced

I don't hate it. I really don't hate it. I just have a very strong opinion about it and I am just very direct with my opinions. I never said my opinion was law or correct. It is just the way I see it obviously. It has a crap ton of pros, more than it does cons. Every car has some cons obviously. I know I obviously sound like the biggest hater this side of saskatchewan. I am just a very picky person and it is very hard to impress me. I call out things how I see them and don't pull punches. I am not going to appologize for stating my opinion. And if crimson elan doesn't like that, he can feel free to take a hyke.
The top two posters I love most on this forum, are
1. RockyBoy!!!
2. RDX10 (sorry I put you on the 2nd place, although you hate RDX so much, but your mind is much weaker than RockyBoy)

You two are so entertaining, without trolls like you two, this forum will not survive.

Last edited by CrimsonElan; 06-03-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Stanuwmad (10-06-2017)
Old 06-03-2016, 07:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CrimsonElan
1. RockyBoy!!!
2. RDX10 (sorry I put you on the 2nd place, although you hate RDX so much, but your mind is much weaker than RockyBoy)

You two are so entertaining, without trolls like you two, this forum will not survive.
You should probably take a tylenol for all your butt hurt. If you want to stoop to making it personal, I won't fall to your level. Enjoy your day.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:54 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
And that is the end of this thread.....phew.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:12 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

1. RockyBoy!!!

How did I miss getting on that list? That pipsqueak "35 post boy wonder" has really figured out who is who on this forum.
RDX10 (06-04-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 01:26 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ceb
How did I miss getting on that list? That pipsqueak "35 post boy wonder" has really figured out who is who on this forum.
If you add a line of "I absolutely love my RDX" or "I hate fvcking RDX so much" in every post of yours, you will be on the list.

However, sometimes you are actually helping other members on the forum, not like someone.

There is nothing personal, every forum has such kind of trolls.
Maybe there is a user called "MKC13" on a Lincoln forum bitching about MKC everyday, and a user called "MuddyGirl" on a Nissan forum loves Murano so much since she got Hercules everyday after she bought the Murano.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:29 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
^^^ heh. I get those references.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:45 PM
Suzuka Master

If you add a line of "I absolutely love my RDX" or "I hate fvcking RDX so much" in every post of yours, you will be on the list.

However, sometimes you are actually helping other members on the forum, not like someone.

There is nothing personal, every forum has such kind of trolls.
Maybe there is a user called "MKC13" on a Lincoln forum bitching about MKC everyday, and a user called "MuddyGirl" on a Nissan forum loves Murano so much since she got Hercules everyday after she bought the Murano.
Seeing as how your past 5 or 6 posts have been either about me or in response to my posts, I am trying to figure out how YOU are helping the forum? Stop trying to cyber stalk me and get a life.

Also it seems like everytime someone has any criticism of the rdx, you get on their dick and start attacking them. So even without directly saying it, you might as well keep writing "I love the rdx". Don't be a hypocrite and call other people out for your same actions.

Last edited by RDX10; 06-04-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:11 PM
Advanced

Seeing as how your past 5 or 6 posts have been either about me or in response to my posts, I am trying to figure out how YOU are helping the forum? Stop trying to cyber stalk me and get a life.

Also it seems like everytime someone has any criticism of the rdx, you get on their dick and start attacking them. So even without directly saying it, you might as well keep writing "I love the rdx". Don't be a hypocrite and call other people out for your same actions.
My last post has nothing to do with you. Did you see "RDX10" in that post?

There are many other users criticize rdx too such as snorf, but at least they are subjective, did you ever see that I did
Also it seems like everytime someone has any criticism of the rdx, you get on their dick and start attacking them.
You, sir, DO NOT EVEN OWN a current generation rdx, just simply a hater, and of course a troll.

I like my rdx, but I don't love it, it has many cons, maybe my next one will not be an Acura anymore, but it is still a fine vehicle move me from point A to point B.

If you do like it, block me, or do not respond like a crying babe.
This is my opinion, I am allowed to have one too.
I am allowed to have one also.

Last edited by CrimsonElan; 06-04-2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's not Mercedes luxury, but it's not a "Honda" either. I like the features and the materials used in this car. It drives great and looks great too. For the price point, I feel it's best in class. A comparable car to this size but "luxury" would be the new Mercedes GLC but it comes at an extra $10K. No thank you.
romer (06-05-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 03:40 PM
Suzuka Master

My last post has nothing to do with you. Did you see "RDX10" in that post?

There are many other users criticize rdx too such as snorf, but at least they are subjective, did you ever see that I did

You, sir, DO NOT EVEN OWN a current generation rdx, just simply a hater, and of course a troll.

I like my rdx, but I don't love it, it has many cons, maybe my next one will not be an Acura anymore, but it is still a fine vehicle move me from point A to point B.

If you do like it, block me, or do not respond like a crying babe.

I am allowed to have one also.
I didn't attack your opinion, you attacked mine. So yes I can have one too.

I take it english isn't your first language. Well anyways, it has been fun. Go bug someone else. Enjoy your day.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:29 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I take it english isn't your first language. Well anyways, it has been fun. Go bug someone else. Enjoy your day.
Hey, he is up to 37 posts now.

He may actually be rockyboy since he attacks people that criticize the most wonderful car ever built.
RDX10 (06-04-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 04:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ceb

He may actually be rockyboy since he attacks people that criticize the most wonderful car ever built.
Haha wow ceb! But actually I got the same impression, he gets incredibly butt hurt every time someone insults the holy grail of cars. That is the RDX just incase you weren't sure either.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:54 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Haha wow ceb! But actually I got the same impression, he gets incredibly butt hurt every time someone insults the holy grail of cars. That is the RDX just incase you weren't sure either.
None of the regular non-troll posters would be here if we didn't believe that the RDX weren't a decent car. Intelligent posters see both the upsides and the downsides but appreciate - in general - that the RDX is a good blend of reliability, quality and features. It is far from the best car built but is also far more refined than a CR-V.

Koreans make better cars that are a greater value but they have that unfortunate reputation that will take generations to overcome.

CE has been here since last year and has under 40 posts. I would say that doesn't make him an expert on who is who here on the forum

Last edited by ceb; 06-04-2016 at 04:57 PM.
RDX10 (06-04-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 05:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ceb
None of the regular non-troll posters would be here if we didn't believe that the RDX weren't a decent car. Intelligent posters see both the upsides and the downsides but appreciate - in general - that the RDX is a good blend of reliability, quality and features. It is far from the best car built but is also far more refined than a CR-V.

Koreans make better cars that are a greater value but they have that unfortunate reputation that will take generations to overcome.

CE has been here since last year and has under 40 posts. I would say that doesn't make him an expert on who is who here on the forum
I absolutely agree 100%. I know that a majority of my posts about the 2G RDX seem one sided and like they are trying to take it down. I just simply am the type of person who will say something like I feel it is and won't pull punches. I am difficult to impress and can be very picky. The pickiness is something I have been trying to work on for a while.

I described how I felt about the 2G RDX, and I know on here that I don't paint it in the prettiest light. But if you honestly ask me how I feel, I can honestly say that it is a great car. The V6 is very smooth with ample passing power, the interior (while not up to my standards) is still a REALLY nice place to be with comfortable seats and a spacious layout. Not all materials are as good as they should be, I am just calling it out because I hope someone at Acura will see and rectify it like they did with a ton of the 3G mdx "issues". If family members were to ask me if the rdx was a good car, I would have absolutely no reservations recommending it. It IS a great great car.

I didn't want to say anything about the RDX again because I am beating a dead horse with some of my points. But snorf kinda nudged me and I thought a thread asking the opinion on the RDX would be a good place to be brutally honest. If I was simply looking for a premium suv (as 99% of suv buyers do) and didn't give a crap about driving dynamics, fit and finish, and materials. Or I should say not as picky as I am. The rdx would present a tremendous value. With the refreshening in 2016, they addressed a SHIT TON of things that should have been there in 2013. I can bet that they will also address a bunch of things in the coming 3G Rdx.

Some of points make a mountain out of a mole hill. That is absolutely true. But it is a forum, we all have our points and opinions. I don't need some punk with sub 40 posts telling me how to act and that I have provided no help when you ceb, personally know that I have.

Last edited by RDX10; 06-04-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:34 PM
Racer

The RDX has plenty of good features and plenty of shortcomings. I've pretty much hit the shortcomings - some of which I think acura really should be ashamed of putting in a model 2016 vehicle or NOT putting in a model 2016, but there are two features I particularly like. The sound of the stereo (compliments of someone here posting a good setting to optimize the sound) - albeit an antiquated/outdated method of putting music on the hard drive I think it sounds better than the Mark Levinson stereo in my son's lexus. But the most important feature(s) to me relate to safety - close to 2 ton vehicle, backup camera with cross warnings, sensors when getting too close to something (particularly when parking) and plenty of airbags to protect me in the event of an accident.

I thought the forum was for an exchange of information and opinions - good and bad - and not a fanboy site. If someone posts something I don't agree with or don't know/care about I don't worry about it. I may check it out, but we all have our feelings/opinions.
RDX10 (06-04-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 08:43 PM

That's generally how adults do it.

The following 2 users liked this post by cu2wagon:
RDX10 (06-04-2016), snorf (06-04-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 10:23 PM
Suzuka Master

The RDX has plenty of good features and plenty of shortcomings. I've pretty much hit the shortcomings - some of which I think acura really should be ashamed of putting in a model 2016 vehicle or NOT putting in a model 2016, but there are two features I particularly like. The sound of the stereo (compliments of someone here posting a good setting to optimize the sound) - albeit an antiquated/outdated method of putting music on the hard drive I think it sounds better than the Mark Levinson stereo in my son's lexus. But the most important feature(s) to me relate to safety - close to 2 ton vehicle, backup camera with cross warnings, sensors when getting too close to something (particularly when parking) and plenty of airbags to protect me in the event of an accident.

I thought the forum was for an exchange of information and opinions - good and bad - and not a fanboy site. If someone posts something I don't agree with or don't know/care about I don't worry about it. I may check it out, but we all have our feelings/opinions.
I absolutely agree with everything you said. The sound system even in my 2007 RDX was really really good. Much better than anything I have heard in an korean car. Even the lexicon (brand they use in rolls royce) speakers in a 2016 hyundai genesis ultimate sounded like shit in comparison.

Honestly, I want to reiterate that even with my criticisms of the 2G RDX. It is still an AMAZING car. There is somethig to be said for smoothness and a simple drive train layout.

You are right. That is EXACTLY what a forum is about. You share information and you warn other members anout what to avoid...etc. But crimson elan doesn't know that, he gets his panties in a bunch every time I I post anything. Someone was asking if the rdx had around view cameras, so I told them no and said they should check out the murano or rogue because they do. He threw a fit like a 5 year old.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:30 AM
Advanced

I absolutely agree with everything you said. The sound system even in my 2007 RDX was really really good. Much better than anything I have heard in an korean car. Even the lexicon (brand they use in rolls royce) speakers in a 2016 hyundai genesis ultimate sounded like shit in comparison.

Honestly, I want to reiterate that even with my criticisms of the 2G RDX. It is still an AMAZING car. There is somethig to be said for smoothness and a simple drive train layout.

You are right. That is EXACTLY what a forum is about. You share information and you warn other members anout what to avoid...etc. But crimson elan doesn't know that, he gets his panties in a bunch every time I I post anything. Someone was asking if the rdx had around view cameras, so I told them no and said they should check out the murano or rogue because they do. He threw a fit like a 5 year old.

he gets incredibly butt hurt every time someone insults the holy grail of cars. T
But it is a forum, we all have our points and opinions. I don't need some punk with sub 40 posts telling me how to act and that I have provided no help when you ceb, personally know that I have.
But crimson elan doesn't know that, he gets his panties in a bunch every time I I post anything. Someone was asking if the rdx had around view cameras, so I told them no and said they should check out the murano or rogue because they do. He threw a fit like a 5 year old.
WOW!!

You actually spend so much time bitching about me? I am honored, man.

You should probably take a tylenol for all your butt hurt. If you want to stoop to making it personal, I won't fall to your level. Enjoy your day.
Not sure what kind of level you are in now.

And also I see how you got so many posts on the forum, making hundreds of bitching posts only makes you an expert of bitching, nothing else.

Please go get a life and stop sitting next to a computer/tablet/phone peeking forum every 10 minutes to defend you useless virtual identity.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:52 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ceb

Seriously? Have I ever said RDX is the most wonderful car ever built?

My RDX 2016 was in dealer 3 times to fix the stupid steering wheel rattling noise (which they have a TSB about it now), very annoying. Other than that, it was a fine vehicle, but far from perfect.

Things I don't like,
No CarPlay
Navigation screen has vga-like low resolution (comparing to our bmw's HD like screen)
Voice recognition does not really work for me since English is not my 1st language.
Steering wheel feels like Toyota Corolla, too light, and has the awful rattling noise
Too many buttons on the steering wheel
No option to add HUD (which we got for our other 2 Bmw leases, super useful feature)
Rear seats should be 40/20/40 split folding instead of 40/60
No ISOFIX on the rear middle seat
No 12v socket under rear vent and in the trunk
No spare tire on FWD
Wind noise

Things I don't care but are cons for some people
No Heated rear seat/steering wheel, I don't care, useless in California
SHAWD, not really useful in CA, mine is FWD, since it does not rain much and never snows in my area, for weekend ski trip, a set of snow cables is enough.
No panoramic sunroof, I wish they can make a trim without the sunroof
Halogen fog lights, I don't care, mine were never turned on even once.

Is RDX a fancy CR-V, yes, it is, drives like one except with much better power and some small luxury-only improvements you can also find on a Hyundai/Kia or Mazda. If Toyota is still making a V6 Rav4, I might get that instead.

Last edited by CrimsonElan; 06-05-2016 at 01:59 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:01 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
I'm glad this thread is alive again. ...Popcorn anyone.......?
Old 06-05-2016, 02:11 AM
Suzuka Master

WOW!!

You actually spend so much time bitching about me? I am honored, man.

Not sure what kind of level you are in now.

And also I see how you got so many posts on the forum, making hundreds of bitching posts only makes you an expert of bitching, nothing else.

Please go get a life and stop sitting next to a computer/tablet/phone peeking forum every 10 minutes to defend you useless virtual identity.
I hope that tylenol is worrking.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:51 PM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Can someone direct me to the referenced post that 'someone posted a way to optimize the sound'?
Old 06-05-2016, 06:23 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ceb

One of the first things you learn as an investigator is that "if the subject doesn't answer the question then the subject has answered the question."

Since CE didn't deny being rockyboy then we can extrapolate that...

Seriously? Have I ever said RDX is the most wonderful car ever built?

My RDX 2016 was in dealer 3 times to fix the stupid steering wheel rattling noise (which they have a TSB about it now), very annoying. Other than that, it was a fine vehicle, but far from perfect.

Things I don't like,
No CarPlay Could have found that in the brochure before you bought the car
Navigation screen has vga-like low resolution (comparing to our bmw's HD like screen) Shouldn't you have noticed this on the test drive?
Voice recognition does not really work for me since English is not my 1st language. True. That wouldn't be noticeable until after you drove it awhile.
Steering wheel feels like Toyota Corolla, too light, and has the awful rattling noise Test drive?
Too many buttons on the steering wheel Test drive?
No option to add HUD (which we got for our other 2 Bmw leases, super useful feature) Brochure?
Rear seats should be 40/20/40 split folding instead of 40/60 Test drive?
No ISOFIX on the rear middle seat LATCH in the middle of the back seat is a very bad idea. 75% of all car seats are installed incorrectly, nearly 100% of the car seats in the middle position are installed improperly because I know of no car that is set up for that.
No 12v socket under rear vent and in the trunk Test drive?
No spare tire on FWD Brochure?
Wind noise Test drive?

Things I don't care but are cons for some people
No Heated rear seat/steering wheel, I don't care, useless in California
SHAWD, not really useful in CA, mine is FWD, since it does not rain much and never snows in my area, for weekend ski trip, a set of snow cables is enough.
No panoramic sunroof, I wish they can make a trim without the sunroof
Halogen fog lights, I don't care, mine were never turned on even once.

Is RDX a fancy CR-V, yes, it is, drives like one except with much better power and some small luxury-only improvements you can also find on a Hyundai/Kia or Mazda. If Toyota is still making a V6 Rav4, I might get that instead.
See comments in bold
Old 06-05-2016, 11:53 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ceb

See comments in bold

I am not sure how to categorize you, but you must be one of these three.

Originally Posted by ceb
Specifically, those who have an IQ between 0 and 25 are idiots; 26 to 50 are imbeciles and 51 and 70 are morons.
In my post, have I ever said I did not know these things I don't like before I purchased the car? My point is that RDX has many cons, far from perfect, but I still like it, but I don't love it.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:34 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by romer
Can someone direct me to the referenced post that 'someone posted a way to optimize the sound'?

I got this and made one or two adjustments to suit me. It really made a big difference:

Boost bass, sub, and treble. Turn down center speaker and fade to the rear a bit. Works for me. Below are the settings recommended elsewhere. Others invited to chime in.

1. Dolby PLII on
2. Treble +6
3. Bass +2
4. Fade: 2RR (2 notches towards the rear bias)
5. Balance: centre
6. Centre channel: -2
7. subwoofer: +4
8. SVC: high (that doesn't affect sound quality)
romer (06-07-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 06:10 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Here I was looking for some real discussion about the CRV vs RDX
Old 06-08-2016, 10:52 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been watching this from afar, and because I've had my vehicle for 4 months and I'm a glutton for punishment, I'll go ahead and offer up my views...

Getting this out of the way first - this is my 7th Honda product we've had in the family. My wife and I are those yuppie dorks that have matching vehicles, she has a '16 ILX. (We can go on about her car over in the ILX forum if anyone wants to play along).

I shopped for my SUV purchase for about 3 years before pulling the trigger on the RDX. I knew that I needed 4 seats, some cargo area, all wheel drive and I wanted it to be safe, fun to drive (respectfully) and it had to fit in the garage. Not in that order, but you get the idea.

The contenders: Porsche Macan, Audi Q5, Lexus NX, Mazda 5, CRV & RDX.

Porsche & Audi are tiny in the back seat. I'm 6'4" and the wife is 5' 10", and we have 2 daughters that are not short, so the German cars that share the same platform were out.

The Lexus is a polarizing vehicle on the exterior, I like it, the wife does not, but we both agreed that the cockpit can induce claustrophobia, so that was kicked out. I didn't mind its tight confines, but it has a wonky dashboard, and a nav screen that looks like it was glued in place...Not gonna want to stare at that for 4 years.

Mazda 5. I rented a bunch of these while traveling for work. Not a bad car. I didn't hate it, and I certainly didn't love it either. It lacked a few things that I wanted (LKAS., LED headlights and ventilated front seats), and didn't come near the HP of some of the others...

CR-V - Here's where it gets interesting. The CR-V was the front runner for a LONG time. It made the most sense. It had pretty much everything I wanted, and it fit in the garage. But I had to drive them back to back, which I did. The CR-V's CVT transmission killed it for me. I read tons of posts about the vibration issues that Honda had, and the lengths they were going to in order to appease owners, and the oddball fixes they put in place for the 2016 models. I drove 3, never felt or had the issue, but didn't want to own it for 6 months and then have the problem arise.

When I drove the CR-V and RDX back to back, the small differences in the fit and finish, the power of the RDX vs the CRV and the overall luxury of the RDX won me over. I could justify the difference in price, and its what I wanted. It feels more upscale. Its quieter, the interior is better designed, and its pretty damn quick. The CRV was also a tad bit too big.

I have my caveats with it, and they're minor:

Mine is white and like ALL OTHER WHITE ACURA PRODUCTS, the front and rear bumpers are ever so slightly differently coloured than the rest of the car. Same with the mirrors. I think that their paint cures or is applied in a different process than the rest of the car, but in direct sun, you can see it. Not a deal breaker, but I see it.

Why do I have to go and buy my own LED bulbs for my 2016 vehicle, Acura? Why? You put them in some areas of the car, but not all. Weird.

The stupid trunk tray is slippery. Things move around on it. It should be grippy. Also, why you no give me the tonneau cover for that area, Acura? WHY do I have to buy it?

Steering and handling are a bit vague. Just kinda floaty. I don't mind because this thing gobbles up highway miles every day, but its not a memorable driving experience in the least.

I don't mind the 2 screen setup. It took me about 10 min to get the hang of it, and its fine. I like having all those screens. It makes me feel like I'm driving a mighty craft, capable of various and impressive things, and I can view all the channels on XM.

Things I like
Its a pleasure to drive. My last car was a 2004 Civic Si. I loved that car, but it was a chore. It was unforgiving in its ride, it was loud, it had a weirdly placed but silky smooth shifter, and begged me for a 6th gear that Honda never gave it. The RDX is like a fast, smooth cloud. I commute a lot, and the RDX is great for that.

Its the perfect size for my needs. I have enough room for the family, and our gear when we travel. Not a lot of room, but enough. It has a nice center console for hiding snacks.

It has ventilated and heated seats. I like those, a lot. When you're done with a 40 mile mountain bike ride in June, and you hop into the car and hit the button for the seat fan it makes up for the missing LED bulbs.

Yes, its a Honda product. What that means is that it is pretty reliable. Its also very very conservative. You're gonna get the features that everyone else has, a cycle or two later, but they're going to be bulletproof. I've never regretted a Honda purchase. I've been envious of my friends that have other makes, but not to the point that I've regretted my decisions.

If there was some way to cobble all the features from every other make into one car, I'd do it. There's not. There's a huge amount of trade offs with a vehicle purchase. I know that. I wanted the driving experience of the Porsche, with the cost of the Honda, and the space of the Acura. Not going to happen.

Its not a perfect car. There are no perfect cars. It fulfills my needs and desires almost to the letter. I love my car.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by SladeHayes
I've been watching this from afar, and because I've had my vehicle for 4 months and I'm a glutton for punishment, I'll go ahead and offer up my views...

Words n stuff.

Its not a perfect car. There are no perfect cars. It fulfills my needs and desires almost to the letter. I love my car.
Welcome!

Sounds like you did your homework and ended up with what best suits you.

Since you neglected to mention that you think the RDX is the absolute bestest car ever made in the history of cars and that it gets you all sorts of 9.8+ tail outside of the Costco, I don't think your going to have any punishment gluttoned upon you.

I didn't realize the tonneau cover was not included. Or rather, I was surprised when it *was* included on the wagon. Made me think that was something Honda got right. But I guess they only got it half right... .
Old 06-09-2016, 07:56 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SladeHayes
...I have my caveats with it, and they're minor:

Mine is white and like ALL OTHER WHITE ACURA PRODUCTS, the front and rear bumpers are ever so slightly differently coloured than the rest of the car. Same with the mirrors. I think that their paint cures or is applied in a different process than the rest of the car, but in direct sun, you can see it. Not a deal breaker, but I see it.
All plastic bumpers on ALL cars are different colors. Paint for bumpers has added flexing agents to keep the paint from cracking. Those flexing agents cause the color to be slightly off. The only way to make it less obvious is to blend the paint into the fenders - something that paint shops do when they respray a car but is never done at the factory.

I had a respray done many years ago where the shop failed to add the flexing agent for the paint on the plastic bits. A half year later the paint started to crack - the start to peel; and I hadn't even run into anything. Ford resprayed the car a second time under warranty and I turned around and sold the car.

I think you gave a great summary of the car and had a great comparison to the CR-V - but, like cu2wagon said - you failed to mention all the girls that are attracted to you because of the car. But perhaps you weren't the right Costco Calvin Klein slacks.

Quick Reply: 2016 Acura RDX - luxury or just an expensive honda?