2014 RDX - A Whole Bunch of Error Messages

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 08:23 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 RDX - A Whole Bunch of Error Messages

Hey gang, I'm new here. I apologize in advance for the lengthy post:

I picked up a CPO'ed 2014 RDX Tech with 20k miles a couple of weeks ago. I had put about 400 miles on it, when it popped a bunch of errors on Friday night. The MID rolled though the following codes and the transmission gear LCD indicator in the instrument cluster was flashing the whole time. In addition, for about 30 seconds my temp, tachometer and speedometer all went to zero before coming back to life:

Check Transmission
Check VSA System
Check AWD System
Check Power Steering System
Check Brakes
Check Emission System
Check Hillstart Assist

These all showed in the AcuraLink messages too and the corresponding "idiot lights" illuminated on the dash. The car rode mostly fine -- no real noticeable differences in ride quality, etc. and turning it off and restarting made no immediate difference.

I took the car in for service on Saturday AM and they updated some software items in the ECM and cleared the codes.

I drove Saturday night and they all popped again, but when I started the car Sunday AM the display was clear. So I cleared the AcuraLink messages so I could know if they popped up again.

I drove tonight, and after about 15 miles they all popped again, so this is the third time.Same series of errors each time...

This is way too many errors (IMHO) to be caused by one sensor, and the only common denominator that I can think of is that I was decelerating each time this occured (pulling into a parking spot, approaching a turn, or coming up to a stoplight). Given the "we haven't seen that before" reaction at the dealership, I wanted to see if anyone here had seen anything like this before on their RDX. I searched a few times here (and on Google), but came up empty.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated... We're going to get blizzarded in NY the next couple of days, so I'm going to make an appointment for Friday.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:26 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by High Technology
Hey gang, I'm new here. I apologize in advance for the lengthy post:

I picked up a CPO'ed 2014 RDX Tech with 20k miles a couple of weeks ago. I had put about 400 miles on it, when it popped a bunch of errors on Friday night. The MID rolled though the following codes and the transmission gear LCD indicator in the instrument cluster was flashing the whole time. In addition, for about 30 seconds my temp, tachometer and speedometer all went to zero before coming back to life:

Check Transmission
Check VSA System
Check AWD System
Check Power Steering System
Check Brakes
Check Emission System
Check Hillstart Assist

These all showed in the AcuraLink messages too and the corresponding "idiot lights" illuminated on the dash. The car rode mostly fine -- no real noticeable differences in ride quality, etc. and turning it off and restarting made no immediate difference.

I took the car in for service on Saturday AM and they updated some software items in the ECM and cleared the codes.

I drove Saturday night and they all popped again, but when I started the car Sunday AM the display was clear. So I cleared the AcuraLink messages so I could know if they popped up again.

I drove tonight, and after about 15 miles they all popped again, so this is the third time.Same series of errors each time...

This is way too many errors (IMHO) to be caused by one sensor, and the only common denominator that I can think of is that I was decelerating each time this occured (pulling into a parking spot, approaching a turn, or coming up to a stoplight). Given the "we haven't seen that before" reaction at the dealership, I wanted to see if anyone here had seen anything like this before on their RDX. I searched a few times here (and on Google), but came up empty.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated... We're going to get blizzarded in NY the next couple of days, so I'm going to make an appointment for Friday.
I have not seen this with my RDX but saw it with my 02 TL when the tranny went for a crap. Of course the car would not get out of 2nd gear either and many of the lights you state were not even on an 02 TL.

Hopefully your car has a simple solution.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
It could be a bad battery, bad grounds, bad positive terminals or just loose. Check the battery
Old 03-13-2017, 09:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
It could be a bad battery, bad grounds, bad positive terminals or just loose. Check the battery
I'm 95% sure it is the battery. Acura's act really funny when the battery is weak. My MDX threw a crap ton of codes when the battery was bad and Acura OEM batteries tend to die after 3 years and you are right at that point. Now, with that being said. It is a CPO, let them take care of it. Not you.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:33 AM
8th Gear

Thanks for the responses thus far... The battery is new -- they replaced it at the CPO -- it's tagged 1/17, so it's also fresh. They "tested" it when I brought it in on Saturday and it passed... I checked the battery connections, and they are clean and tight. I personally have zero faith in their battery tester, but that's based on my past experience with my '05 MDX back in 2009 when it died on me, but after jump starting they said it passed the first time (I'd have gone elsewhere, but we had AcuraCare on that car) -- they replaced it a week later after it died again...

One thing I noticed (thanks to the comments above) is that the ground wire is covered in plastic, but that plastic ends about 1/2 inch before it runs under the plastic cover. The remaining 1/2 inch is "half wrapped" with electrical tape, and the last 1/4 inch of the line right before it goes under the plastic trim cover is exposed and oxidized (but there is no green patina so it doesn't look like it's been overexposed to water). Is this the way the RDX comes from the factory (seems like poor engineering to me), or does it seem that someone did something here and the plastic (and wire insulation?) is supposed to run all the way to (and under) the plastic trim cover?
Old 03-22-2017, 09:46 PM
8th Gear

Acura told the Dealer to keep the car and try to get the messages to pop up and then connect the car to the diagnostic machine and dump the error codes.

Dealer kept the car over the weekend, and into Monday and Tuesday. Unable to get the messages to pop up again, so they told me to pick it up and bring it back without turning it off if the codes pop up again.They did say they "resecured" the remote starter module under my steering wheel, though both the service advisor and I are somewhat doubtful that this was the "fix".

While disappointed they couldn't find the issue, I will admit my past experience with this dealer's service department has been positive. I am a pretty detail oriented person and they've been responsive thus far (and were when we had the 2005 MDX).
Old 03-22-2017, 11:24 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I posted a thread a few months ago on the same errors. it's a MAPS sensor issue. https://acurazine.com/forums/second-generation-rdx-2013-404/bad-news-come-4-a-951156/

Last edited by thephantom; 03-22-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:44 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by thephantom
I posted a thread a few months ago on the same errors. it's a MAPS sensor issue. https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...me-4-a-951156/
Thank you! When this happens again, I am going to show them your post and ask them to change the MAP sensor.