2013 RDX maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 05:58 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 RDX maintenance

Just picked up our 2013 RDX after an A-1 Service. 47,400 miles. Definitely needs new tires.

The dealer recommended their "45K Service". I don't recall what that included, but I'm inclined to just follow the Maintenance Minder.

They really stressed a transmission service. Again, I declined -- waiting for the Maintenance Minder to pop a -3.

Should it have done it by now? Any thoughts on just doing it before the Maintenance Minder comes up?

I also think my brakes are worn-out. I don't see anything on the Maintenance Schedule that says something like "check brakes". I also don't see anything on their multi-point vehicle inspection checklist that mentions brakes.

Is this something that's supposed to be checked periodically?
Old 05-03-2017, 08:07 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
My dealer did a brake inspection with every oil change. I assumed it was included in the A service

Your tranny fluid is due in another 8000-9000 miles at which point the A3 should come up. If it is hot where you live, might as well do it now. The tranny fluid deteriorates quickly in the RDX due to heat. (see the TSB)
Old 05-04-2017, 08:16 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Skidoor
My dealer did a brake inspection with every oil change. I assumed it was included in the A service

Your tranny fluid is due in another 8000-9000 miles at which point the A3 should come up. If it is hot where you live, might as well do it now. The tranny fluid deteriorates quickly in the RDX due to heat. (see the TSB)
Is changing "tranny fluid" the same as "transmission service" and "differential service"? Sorry but I am not very good with these terms.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:44 AM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Yes, all they do on a transmission service is drain and refill the transmission (tranny) fluid, which only replaces a portion of all the fluid in the transmission. Some fluid is retained in the torque converter, it doesn't drain out with all the rest of the fluid. Differential service is replacing the fluid in the rear axle differential (like a gearbox) which is only present on AWD RDXs. If you have an AWD, this applies to you well as the transfer case fluid (drained/refilled) which is done at the same time as the transmission. (subsymbol 3) So, soon you should see an A3 service code come up , I believe its somewhere around 56,000 miles give or take.

Personally, I would use a trusted mechanic over the dealership any day...I tend to think that getting routine services done at the dealer is akin to bending over and handing them the lube.

Last edited by Skidoor; 05-04-2017 at 09:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
balancesheet (05-04-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 12:05 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know why I wasn't seeing it previously, but:
  • Inspect front and rear brakes, service as necessary
Is clearly part of the "B" Maintenance minder.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:06 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Right now while our car is under warranty, I use the dealer for oil changes but other wear item stuff like alignments and brakes I use a shop that employs a lot of "Honda tech graduates" that got tired of the BS and overselling at the dealerships. My son, per my advice, fought off the aggressive service people at his local Acura dealer on a transmission "flush", and is now looking for a shop that will service his Accord and RDX. He had a BMW shop do his 328i service - these are the guys who said, yeah, the dealer is right about this engine issue and quoted repairs at about 60% - 70% of the BMW dealer price. He sold it and bought our '13 RDX instead. I had him look up and copy the pages in the manual that says what the Acura service codes mean so it'll be in the glove box for next time.