Your thoughts on trading in for new RDX with warranty or keep what you have

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 08:06 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Your thoughts on trading in for new RDX with warranty or keep what you have

Hi,
I drive a 2017 RDX tech and it's not financed. Just wanted to see what others think about trading in the car for a newer RDX to stay within a warranty. When I bought my RDX i didn't purchase the extended warranty that was offered. The RDX seems like it has many bells and whistles to go wrong. Now I'm wondering if it makes more sense (frugally) to trade in the car before the warranty period expires or just buy and extended warranty?

Any one has experience trading in a car before the bumper to bumper coverage expires and how much they had to pay up front to do the swap.
I have never leased. My thinking was if I leased an RDX for let's say $300 per mo for 3 year then cost would've been ~11,000$. Now since I bought the RDX in full and if I trade up to a most recent RDX after 3 years, can I walk away paying less than $11,000 ?

Thoughts are welcome... thanks!

Last edited by iHondaGuy; 01-28-2019 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:32 AM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts
You can get an Acura Care warranty for a hell of a lot less than $11k. Even without a warranty, put the $11k in a savings account to use for possible future repairs. $11k will buy a lot of repairs. If having a warranty is your biggest concern, it'd be dumb (IMO) to trade it just for that reason. OTOH, if you're looking for a reason to rationalize getting a new car...
The following users liked this post:
Comfy (02-02-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 03:21 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by iHondaGuy
Hi,
I drive a 2017 RDX tech and it's not financed. Just wanted to see what others think about trading in the car for a newer RDX to stay within a warranty. When I bought my RDX i didn't purchase the extended warranty that was offered. The RDX seems like it has many bells and whistles to go wrong. Now I'm wondering if it makes more sense (frugally) to trade in the car before the warranty period expires or just buy and extended warranty?

Any one has experience trading in a car before the bumper to bumper coverage expires and how much they had to pay up front to do the swap.
I have never leased. My thinking was if I leased an RDX for let's say $300 per mo for 3 year then cost would've been ~11,000$. Now since I bought the RDX in full and if I trade up to a most recent RDX after 3 years, can I walk away paying less than $11,000 ?

I recently bought a CPO 2017 RDX, even with 2019s sitting on the lot. If you read the experiences over in the Third Generation forum, you will quickly realize that the new model has a lot of bugs that need to be worked out before it is really ready for primetime.

I would stick with the rock-solid 2nd Generation, with the V6 engine and excellent transmission than take a gamble with a brand new turbo engine + 10AT.

Also, if interested in extended warranty, check out Curry - they are often the lowest price and have a good reputation: https://www.curryacuracare.com/
Old 01-31-2019, 12:00 PM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
I own a 2014 RDX tech with an extended warranty of 7 years or 120,000 miles whatever happens first. It is paid for and at 85K it still has a lot of warranty. Sooo, I decided to keep the RDX and instead bought myself an 2018 BMW M240i!! Now I have the best of both worlds. So, what does this post have to do with your original question? Keep your paid off 2017 RDX and instead get yourself another type of vehicle just for fun!
The following users liked this post:
Comfy (02-02-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 03:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 236 Posts
I once went out with someone whose parents always got a new car just before the three-year warranty expired on their last car.

I joked about it and told her to tell her parents to stop buying American junk. Get a Toyota or Honda I told her.

Its an Acura which should be better than my Honda which is now in the hands of a friend in its 20th year. Runs like a new car.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:28 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by iHondaGuy
Hi,

I'm assuming there is nothing wrong with your current car. Mechanical or cosmetically...? Or has your life situation changed and you need to get a new type of vehicle such as 3 row seats / pick up , etc..... and I don't want to sound judgmental.
I guess, if you are bored with your current car and want to buy a new car, then go ahead and do it. Plenty of people do it. Just don't assume that you will be saving any money by doing so. Dealerships are in business solely because there are people who will come back to the dealership within a few years of driving off a new one. I've seen guys who do it even if the model of car hasn't changed (I mean within the same generation), At least you are talking about an entirely new RDX at present.
Also about the extended warranty,.. I'm really not sure, that will be worth anything for you other than peace of mind. Keep that money you are planning to spend in a jar, It'll be worth more to you after the period of extended warranty has expired.
Well, you can do whatever you want , it's your money anyway. Good luck.