Would like to hear discussion of RDX vs TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 10:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
Would like to hear discussion of RDX vs TL

Hi guys,
I usually post in the 4G TL forum as we have a 2010 TL 3.5L FWD.
The TL is a fantastic car - not perfect, but pretty darn good.
We have no issues with the TL although the trunk opening is small and the seats don't fold down. It is a rocket on the highway and has been very reliable. Maintenance Is super easy.
We are considering buying a 2 or 3 year old RDX AWD and would be interested if anyone here has experience with both TL and RDX. Thanks!
Old 04-08-2017, 11:33 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by jim_c
Hi guys,
We have no issues with the TL although the trunk opening is small and the seats don't fold down. It is a rocket on the highway and has been very reliable. Maintenance Is super easy.
We are considering buying a 2 or 3 year old RDX AWD and would be interested if anyone here has experience with both TL and RDX. Thanks!
Well, I had a 2003 Type-S CL (basically a 2-door TL). Fantastic car. Still miss it to this day. My current ride is a 2016 RDX Advance AWD. Both are really nice vehicles but completely different in so many ways. Do you want the lower sedan TL ride or the SUV feeling? At this point in my life I really like the SUV feel and utility now.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:20 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I had an 06 TSX 1st before adding the 08 RDX later. The RDX really provides a lot of utility if you can take advantage of its potential like a roof rack, hitch, hatch, and folding seats. It also has a upright comfortable seating position, very good 360 degree visibility, shorter overall length for zipping in traffic and parking, flat floor in back seat (no hump), and very easy to fold seats to 2X-3X the interior space. The turbo+sh-awd+good tires will give you enough sport to make the RDX fun to drive in all weather conditions. Pretty good aftermarket support to up the HP/TQ +300 for both.

Downsides of the RDX compared to the TL are:
- road noise
- crappy mpgs for 16-19 combined
- 5AT can be reluctant to downshift unless you use the paddles or sport mode
- turbo lag under 2000 rpms
- folks had issues with A/C compressor, steering rack, power steering pump, alternator, speakers, door actuators, sun visors, XM reception.

I really like my RDX over my TSX because of "U" in "CUV" I can take advantage of in more situations compared to my TSX; which, mostly sees basic 1-2 passenger transport from A to B.
The following users liked this post:
jim_c (04-10-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 01:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
I had an 06 TSX 1st before adding the 08 RDX later. The RDX really provides a lot of utility if you can take advantage of its potential like a roof rack, hitch, hatch, and folding seats. It also has a upright comfortable seating position, very good 360 degree visibility, shorter overall length for zipping in traffic and parking, flat floor in back seat (no hump), and very easy to fold seats to 2X-3X the interior space. The turbo+sh-awd+good tires will give you enough sport to make the RDX fun to drive in all weather conditions. Pretty good aftermarket support to up the HP/TQ +300 for both.

Downsides of the RDX compared to the TL are:
- road noise
- crappy mpgs for 16-19 combined
- 5AT can be reluctant to downshift unless you use the paddles or sport mode
- turbo lag under 2000 rpms
- folks had issues with A/C compressor, steering rack, power steering pump, alternator, speakers, door actuators, sun visors, XM reception.

I really like my RDX over my TSX because of "U" in "CUV" I can take advantage of in more situations compared to my TSX; which, mostly sees basic 1-2 passenger transport from A to B.
Hey MrGold, I think he's referring to the 2G RDX though most of your points are still valid haha.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:55 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Hey MrGold, I think he's referring to the 2G RDX though most of your points are still valid haha.
Thanks RDX10! It was way past my usually bed time when I was cruising the Acurazine threads.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:35 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
My son had my old '01 TL but it was getting on, with transmission #4 threatening to go "soon". He drove (I was with him) a '14 TL and a '14 RDX back-to-back. He liked them both. The TL seemed a lot different than the '01, more sure-footed but bigger. The RDX just felt right and was a heckuva lot more versatile. He has four kids and the twins were just two then, the oldest eleven. They have an Odyssey for the full family, but the RDX would carry the kids plus paraphenalia very nicely. A black/black RDX Tech it was. 40K miles later he's stil very happy with it. My other son dumped his BMW for my wife's '13 RDX and is very happy with it.

In the end, it's whatever "the feeling" is for you. You'll be living with it for a while so you have to like it. We have 3 RDXs in the family and we all made the right choice.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:39 AM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
My wife and I have a 2014 TL Tech and a 2013 RDX Tech. We like them both very much. Here are some of the differences that I noticed:

1. The RDX rearview camera has 3 views compared with the single view in the TL.
2. The RDX has better rear visibility, whether turning your head or looking in the rearview mirror.
3. The fold-down rear seats in the RDX are more useful than the pass-through hole in the TL.
4. I prefer the hand operated parking brake in the TL compared with the foot operated one in the RDX.
5. I prefer the rear headrests in the TL, as they can fold down when not in use.
6. The seats in both are comfortable, but the leather seems softer in the TL.
7. We get better mileage (MPG) in the TL, though it sees more highway miles than our RDX.
8. The passenger in the TL can control the navigation while moving, whereas the RDX must be parked.

Please keep in mind that some of these differences may be specific to our particular cars.

Gregg
jim_c (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 03:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
I am primarily thinking of the utility of the RDX, being able to carry stuff and fold down the seats. I love the TL but although the back seat is huge, it's limited as a hauler. I was hoping you guys would say the driving experience is still pretty good in the taller RDX. (?)
Old 04-10-2017, 11:52 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
I love the ride of my RDX but of course I haven't driven the TL.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
We currently have a '12 TL SH-AWD Tech (wife's) and a '15 RDX AWD Tech (mine). They are very different vehicles, serve very different purposes, and have very different driving characteristics. An earlier post outlined some of the differences, which I agree with. Some other observations:
  • Driving the TL is a real treat, as the feedback you get is unparalleled. The RDX drives nicely, but is much less engaging. Going between the two the RDX "wanders" (it doesn't really, but is much less planted) vs the TL. The RDX compares well against other SUV's, but can't compare to the TL
  • Riding in the RDX is the much nicer experience. It's roomier, goes over the bumps nicer, much easier egress in/out, and a more family-friendly envrionment. My wife loves to drive her TL, but hates riding in it. So we tend to take the RDX when doing things, even just the two of us.
  • Storage capacity is the RDX's strong suit vs the TL, hands down. The lack of a fold-down rear seat in the TL makes it hard to get anything beyond a load of groceries and smaller boxes.
  • Mechanically they're both similar in terms of design and maintenance. Both have electronic power steering, decent v6's (smooth, good mpg), similar transmissions, similar brakes, etc. Both will be very similar.
  • AWD - if you don't have AWD then this won't mean much - but it's my issue with the RDX. The TL's SH-AWD is kick-butt, vs the RDX's AWD which is tolerable at best. This is the primary reason I'd consider moving to an MDX when my lease is up with the RDX. I live in NH so it's a big deal, and this winter showed that the AWD in the RDX isn't anywhere near as good.....
andy
Old 04-11-2017, 05:52 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Hi guys,
I had a 17 TLX today as a loaner for my 2017 RDX, and I used to have a 2010 TL SHAWD / Tech. I was reminded that there are a few more features on the TL, like heated steering wheel, but I will never go back to a car as the SUV is taller, and roomier.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:06 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
I am primarily thinking of the utility of the RDX, being able to carry stuff and fold down the seats. I love the TL but although the back seat is huge, it's limited as a hauler. I was hoping you guys would say the driving experience is still pretty good in the taller RDX. (?)
OK, I'll say it. The RDX driving experience is still pretty good in the taller RDX. The RDX has nothing to be ashamed of in the ride and handling department. It's sure-footed and confidence-inspirng. Sure, the TLX is more fun to drive but we need the better visibility and ease of ingress/egress for our old hips. The RDX is our go-to car when we look in the garage trying to decide which car do we use today.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:39 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by CanTex
OK, I'll say it. The RDX driving experience is still pretty good in the taller RDX. The RDX has nothing to be ashamed of in the ride and handling department. It's sure-footed and confidence-inspirng. Sure, the TLX is more fun to drive but we need the better visibility and ease of ingress/egress for our old hips. The RDX is our go-to car when we look in the garage trying to decide which car do we use today.
I completely agree with this statement. We have an E class sedan and an RDX and every time we decide to go out, it's invariably the RDX. The ride in RDX is so much better than any sedan, notwithstanding with extra space for kid accessories. The engine has plenty of punch to it and overall it feels so much quieter and refined (even compared to newer cars). This was my first SUV and I'm sooooo glad that I chose the RDX. It's been a very pleasant experience so far.
jim_c (04-14-2017)