Why I bought the 2016 RDX Elite AWD (fully loaded, Canada) instead of the competition

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 01:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Why I bought the 2016 RDX Elite AWD (fully loaded, Canada) instead of the competition

So I bought the 2016 RDX Elite AWD, white on ebony (All models in Canada are AWD and mine has power folding mirrors). Soon to be delivered in 1-2 weeks. (MSRP + Freight) here it is $48,759.75 Canadian. Got help from car cost canada so got it for a bit under $45,000. In Ontario, Canada, there is a 13% sales tax on top of that.

I looked at various crossovers/small SUV/CUVs including the Porsche Macan, BMW X4, X3, X1, Audi q3, Audi q5, Lexus NX, Lexus RX, RDX 2015, Mercedes GLA, Lincoln MKX, Lincoln MKC, Cadillac SRX.

1. I ruled out the Lincolns and Cadillac because I feel the German and Japanese cars are more reliable or perform better than these. Also where I live, mostly elderly people drive Cadillac and Lincoln SUVs (don't have anything against the elderly, just not in my age bracket).

2. I ruled out all 4 cylinder vehicles (2016 X3, X1, Audi q3, Lexus NX, Mercedse GLA). 4 cylinders are underpowered for winter driving and the acceleration is not as good. The exception is the Mercedes GLA AMG which has 355 horsepower. But the GLA is too small (they call it micro SUV?).

3. Ruled out the Porsche Macan and BMW X4 because once these are optioned out, couldn't justify the higher cost ($10,000-$20,000 or more). Also, maintenance/repair costs are significantly higher and long-term reliability is questionable.

4. The 2015 Lexus RX350 fsport is on sale here for $6,000 off. I ruled it out because it has lower horsepower than the 2016 RDX and slower acceleration and the grills on the Lexus are poorly designed compared to the 2016 RDX. Also where I live, mostly soccer moms drive Lexus RX350's.

5. I ruled out the Audi q5 because the exterior design is poor. The grill looks like it takes up 90% of the front and the rear of the car looks terribly plain with two big lights tacked on. Also, reliability is questionable.

In the end, I chose the 2016 RDX even though the 2015 RDX has a $4500 manufacturer rebate right now. The improvements in the 2016 are worth more than $4500 (MUCH improved look--3D grill and LED head and tail lights and well thought out lines in general--along with all the added technology features).

I got the fully loaded Elite 2016 RDX because it is only about $4500 or so more than the base model. This is a great deal considering most of the other luxury brands, to go from base to fully loaded is near $10,000 - $20,000 more than the base price. I also like the rims on the RDX Elite. They are bright and shiny and look unique. When looking at rims, many people make the mistake of just looking at them while they are not in motion. The RDX Elite rims look good while not in motion and look great on the move as they are spinning.

The 2016 RDX is highly reliable (so I won't have to suffer too many repairs), technologically advanced and has the highest safety ratings (reinforced hull, etc.). Also, of all the vehicle I looked at, the exterior looks the most beautiful (along with the BMW X4). The exterior is well-thought out and looks very balanced. Some of these other luxury SUVs, looks like they just tacked on a giant grill (*cough, cough* Lexus, Audi *cough, cough*) because they were too lazy to create nice lines and a balanced configuration as found in the 2016 RDX or they have insect looking eyes that looked just weird (*cough, cough* newer Mercedes *cough, cough*). Most of the other luxury vehicle makers rip you off on the options or packages--Acura gives the best value. Finally, where I live, all the upscale neighbourhoods have plenty of Acuras in their driveways, including a few 2016 RDX's that I have spotted so far.

The reason I went with the pearl white exterior is because it looks the best in bright sunlight and also at night. It gives it a powerful road presence especially with the LED head lights shining. It gives it a luxurious appearance that will stay "new looking" for a long time. Also, it reflects sunlight the best so it will help prevent the car from heating up vs darker colours. Silver was my second choice but I already have another vehicle that is silver. The other colour choices for the 2016 RDX are a bit too dark for my tastes. I went with the black interior because it looks the cleanest.

So in conclusion, I bought the 2016 RDX Elite because it was the best overall package for performance, technology, safety, good looks, reliability and best value.
The following 3 users liked this post by rockyboy:
5 Acuras (08-13-2015), Danny Boy (08-31-2015), Pierre Massicotte (12-03-2019)
Old 08-13-2015, 02:38 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Yup!

I took delivery of a 2016 Advanced yesterday. Your reasoning mirrors my own. Best value by a long shot. I've been shopping cars for a year and a half and tried most of the brands and models you mention and some others, including the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Chevrolet Tahoe. I took so much time shopping because Honda has taken so long to migrate new technology to its products. The shopping came to an end when the new RDX and Pilot came to market. The Pilot is nice bot -- like the Tahoe -- just too big for my needs.

My new Advanced is white -- like your's. Parchment is the only interior available in the U.S. I do like the parchment interior as I live in the desert.

The short drive home from the dealership demonstrated the value of the Acurawatch safety systems. Simply wonderful.

I've said it several times in the past few weeks, "the value of the RDX makes purchasing one a 'no brainier'"

The car I liked the best was the Grand Cherokee. Simply marvelous execution of engineering and technology. Sadly, the all come with Crysler quality, service, and reliability. So, it was never a real choice for me. In the end, it came down to the RX Lexus and the RDX. In my view, Honda engineering and durability are far superior to the Toyota products. So, Honda got my money and kept my loyalty.

I'm very pleased and excited about my new RDX. Now, hopefully I'll be able to master the technology settings (working on the trip meter reset upon refueling today).

Good for us!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Desert Ridge:
5 Acuras (08-13-2015), rockyboy (08-13-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 03:39 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Great post, thank you for sharing guys.
I wish white/ebony was available here in US. However I'm really happy with my graphite/ebony RDX.
The following users liked this post:
rockyboy (08-13-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 04:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
It sounds like you got the best vehicle for you. I could play devil's advocate, but instead I'll just say congrats. Enjoy your RDX.
The following 2 users liked this post by HotRodW:
cp3117 (08-13-2015), TacoBello (08-14-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 04:27 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
*cough, cough* The X3 has a 3.0 6-cyl Turbo trim called Xdrive35i *cough, cough* My

Good luck with your choice
rockyboy (08-13-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 05:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Desert Ridge
I took delivery of a 2016 Advanced yesterday. Your reasoning mirrors my own. Best value by a long shot. I've been shopping cars for a year and a half and tried most of the brands and models you mention and some others, including the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Chevrolet Tahoe. I took so much time shopping because Honda has taken so long to migrate new technology to its products. The shopping came to an end when the new RDX and Pilot came to market. The Pilot is nice bot -- like the Tahoe -- just too big for my needs.

My new Advanced is white -- like your's. Parchment is the only interior available in the U.S. I do like the parchment interior as I live in the desert.

The short drive home from the dealership demonstrated the value of the Acurawatch safety systems. Simply wonderful.

I've said it several times in the past few weeks, "the value of the RDX makes purchasing one a 'no brainier'"

The car I liked the best was the Grand Cherokee. Simply marvelous execution of engineering and technology. Sadly, the all come with Crysler quality, service, and reliability. So, it was never a real choice for me. In the end, it came down to the RX Lexus and the RDX. In my view, Honda engineering and durability are far superior to the Toyota products. So, Honda got my money and kept my loyalty.

I'm very pleased and excited about my new RDX. Now, hopefully I'll be able to master the technology settings (working on the trip meter reset upon refueling today).

Good for us!!!
If you have time, can you post up some day time and night time pics of your car?
Old 08-13-2015, 05:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mindanalyzer
*cough, cough* The X3 has a 3.0 6-cyl Turbo trim called Xdrive35i *cough, cough* My

Yeah, you're right! I was thinking the X1. The new X1 that is coming out, they're getting rid of the 6 cylinder engine and it will only have a 3 or 4 cylinder engine. The new X1 looks more like the X3, they've made it look less like a wagon or more like an SUV.

The X3 v6 has great performance for sure at 300 horsepower. My cousin has an X6. Beautiful car but too big and too expensive for what I was looking for. I was close to going for the X3 or X4 with a v6 (I really like the look of the white X4 especially) but I felt BMW charged too much for options and it can get really expensive so the RDX offers greater value. I was also afraid of reliability issues/repair costs after the warranty period is up (as I plan on keeping the car as long as possible). I want trips for servicing to be as pleasant as possible
Old 08-13-2015, 05:25 PM
Instructor

And it's just $12k more, comparably equipped!
5 Acuras (08-13-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 10:01 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
I think your rationale is overall excellent. Congrats on your purchase (especially the white/ebony)!!

Originally Posted by rockyboy
Also where I live, mostly soccer moms drive Lexus RX350's.
Where I live here in Marin County CA, I'm sorry to say the RDX is a favorite of the soccer mom set, second only to the MDX.

RX350s are the overwhelmingly popular choice with the AARP crowd.

Last edited by Kaputnik; 08-13-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We ended up buying a 2016 RDX Advance package for all the same reasons, and to boot, it is a very good looking vehicle that rides / drives nice and gets good gas mileage....... We are pleased.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:58 AM
Instructor

Yeah, you're right! I was thinking the X1. The new X1 that is coming out, they're getting rid of the 6 cylinder engine and it will only have a 3 or 4 cylinder engine. The new X1 looks more like the X3, they've made it look less like a wagon or more like an SUV.

The X3 v6 has great performance for sure at 300 horsepower. My cousin has an X6. Beautiful car but too big and too expensive for what I was looking for. I was close to going for the X3 or X4 with a v6 (I really like the look of the white X4 especially) but I felt BMW charged too much for options and it can get really expensive so the RDX offers greater value. I was also afraid of reliability issues/repair costs after the warranty period is up (as I plan on keeping the car as long as possible). I want trips for servicing to be as pleasant as possible

Your line of thinking is pretty similar to mine back in 2013. I was in between the RDX and X3 in matters of look and design. I decided to buy a 2013 RDX after a short but satisfactory test drive because the X3 was certainly very expensive with the options that I wanted. The RDX seemed to offer excellent value, the right size and a powerful engine; The VCM seemed seamless (I was coming from a Chevy avalanche with VCM [going from 8 cyl to 4] and I never noticed it) and I even got a free powertrain warranty up to 100k miles or 10 years (Rick Case Acura). I also got a excellent discount

After a while (enough for the computer to learn driving habits) I started having serious issues with the damn VCM (subtle vibration in steering wheel and pedals at low rpms [30-40 mph) and also vibration at 80-85 mph at highway speeds. I took it to the dealer service dept countless times to complain about this and they always played the same card: 'normal specs'. I also took it to independent shops [to check for a bent rim or wobbled tire] but they couldnt find anything wrong, so I am almost sure that the VCM was the culprit [not counting that possibility that my RDX could have been cursed ]

I also started noticing that the RDX drive train was behaving too jerky in stop/go city traffic and started hating the aggressive downshifting when coming to a stop. After a long while I was certain that the dealership (and Acura as a brand) was going to do nothing about my problem (The only way you can tackle a situation is by first admitting there is a problem and then addressing it) and I was very unhappy with this situation so I decided to unload the RDX.

I then went with my 2nd choice, the X3 28i. Thankfully no more VCM crap and no more vibration, way more stability taking turns hot with the Xdrive system, very smooth 8 spd ZF trans, better steering feedback, boy I also love the fineline wave wood trim and the pano sunroof, plus the availability of different driving modes (The Acura full time drive train would be equivalent to Sport mode in the X3 which is nice in certain situations but too jerky for everyday driving); For these type of situations I use "comfort" mode and the vehicle behaves very smoothly. Apart from my vibrations I never had any other issue with the RDX in 19 months and the X3 has been flawless in a year

I agree that supposedly the X3 might not be suitable for long term ownership. Well, I have geico MBI and I am planning to have it for 7 years, although I have been entertaining the idea of trading my 28i (if I get an great deal at the end of the production cycle) for a ALL-OUT 2016 Xdrive35i M-sport + dynamic suspension + premium + Tech + 20" wheels in metallic RED. That would be truly awesome. If I enjoy my 4-turbo banger, Could you imagine the 6-cyl turbo?

Anyway, I wish you good luck and I hope that you dont have the same issues that I had with my RDX

Note: If the RDX had a non-molested V6 and different driving modes, I would still most likely have it

Last edited by mindanalyzer; 08-14-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:10 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
For value wise, Kia / Hyundai cars fit the bill.

For luxury and performance, I will always choose BMW over Acura. No if else or buts. There are certain driving maneuvers that I feel safe inside a X3 that I will never do when I am driving RDX.

If you want something in between, then Acura fits the bill.

Lastly, do not underestimate the power of a BMW 4 cylinder. If you think it is under powered, you are misinformed and have not test drove one to its limit.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:19 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RSX_Takashi
For value wise, Kia / Hyundai cars fit the bill.

For luxury and performance, I will always choose BMW over Acura. No if else or buts. There are certain driving maneuvers that I feel safe inside a X3 that I will never do when I am driving RDX.

If you want something in between, then Acura fits the bill.

Lastly, do not underestimate the power of a BMW 4 cylinder. If you think it is under powered, you are misinformed and have not test drove one to its limit.
240HP (underrated) and more like 265-268 HP in reality. I could bring it to 300+ with a dinan stage 1 tune-up with warranty (but $1500 + install )

Note: Now that you mention that, I could comfortable attack serious turns FAST (w/ no braking) in the X3 and I always felt the RDX very unstable in these types of maneuvers. Maybe it was that mine was FWD and the X3 is fulltime AWD with RWD bias, or it could be that the RDX feels lighter and the X3 heavier and more planted.

Note 2: For those overly conscious about mileage, the RDX is superior to the X3 in my experience. I could easily get 19-20 in city driving with the RDX and I am lucky if I hit 18 mph with the X3 (maybe I drive more aggressively with the X3, who knows)

Last edited by mindanalyzer; 08-14-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:04 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I mean no disrespect, but I really don't understand how or why this tread has become a discussion about BMW products.

I'm new here. This thread was my first post to this site. I posted it in the wake of my enthusiasm for Honda products and having purchased a new Acura like the one the O.P. just got.

Since I'm new to this site, of course I don't understand the customs and protocols of the community. Do all threads rapidly devolve into sniping and disparaging remarks about Acura products? That seems strange when the community is ostensibly focused on technical and enthusiasts' discussions of Acuras. But, as I said, I'm new here.

Had I known the forum was about BMW vehicles, I would not have joined. You see, I eliminated those vehicles from consideration after many dismal experiences with their products and services. I have absolutely no interest in going to a BMW forum and spewing my (negative) experiences with their products. I want nothing to do with them and don't have anything good to say about them, so I have nothing to say -- period.

At my house, we use automobiles as appliances. Their job is to get us, and our stuff, from A to B safely, efficiently, and (above all) reliably. We have motorcycles and sports cars to indulge or motorhead urges.

Again. I mean no disrespect. But, don't you guys have a forum you can go to where discussions are for BMW enthusiasts?
Jim7707 (08-14-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 12:32 PM
Instructor

Without being rude:

If you think Acura and Honda products are # 1 and feel offended (or disrespected) if anyone makes disparaging regards about their products, then this forum is not for you.

If you have no interest in other makes/models/manufacturers (e.g. BMW), or you have absolutely no interest in spewing your -ve experience with their products, and you feel offended whenever someone mentions about them and how superior they are, then you are correct as you should not have stayed off the topic. Complaining about it only makes you look silly.

Back to BMW:
The 50:50 weight distribution on an X3 (Note: RDX is 60 front :40 Rear) makes a huge difference in handling and tight cornering. The X3 will bite into the curve whereas the RDX will slide outwards away from the curve. The current AWD system in the RDX will not be able to compensate for it whereas the X3 can. Furthermore, since X3 has a turbo engine, the max torque kicks in around 1,500 rpm instead of 4,800 rpm (RDX) makes it a very fun car to drive.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:48 PM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
Great post Desert Ridge - I was wondering the same thing. It seems owners of competing brands flock to the RDX forums for some reason to discuss their vehicles and tell us why they are so superior to our lowly steeds.

I've had my 2016 Graphite Luster Advance FWD for four weeks now and absolutely love it and feel quite happy with my decision.

Since I'm nearing retirement I wanted a vehicle that was more practical than the sedan I traded in, was comfortable, reliable, had reasonable ownership costs so I could hang onto for a long time into retirement and a good dealer experience. For me, I felt the RDX best fit my wishes for a new vehicle. Luckily, this is a great time to be in the market for a CUV/SUV since there are so many nice vehicles out there right now. Practically every manufacturer has an entry and are all quite competent.

And as far a BMW I know quite well the ownership costs and experience coming from my 550i sedan. I won't go into it here but it was the reason I wanted something more reliable. Google N63 engine design flaws, CPP (Customer Care Package = Recall), oil change interval lowered to 10K from 15K because of oil consumption issues, replacing the battery every oil change now recommended - AGM battery @ ~$500 a pop, CR cars to avoid, and you will get the idea.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
When you start a thread that compares the RDX to just about every one of its competitors, you are inviting comments about said competitors -- especially if the original post has an inflammatory tone. Had this been a thread about the RDX's infotainment system, I think it's fair to call it hijacking if the topic somehow turns to the X3's power output. That's not what happened.
The following 3 users liked this post by HotRodW:
hand-filer (08-14-2015), rbreeze (08-16-2015), TacoBello (08-14-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 01:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HotRodW
When you start a thread that compares the RDX to just about every one of its competitors, you are inviting comments about said competitors -- especially if the original post has an inflammatory tone. Had this been a thread about the RDX's infotainment system, I think it's fair to call it hijacking if the topic somehow turns to the X3's power output. That's not what happened.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:40 PM
Instructor

As much as I love BMW, his sportiness and class, I couldn't handle taking my 2008 X5 to repair shops every 3-4 months anymore.
I tapped myself out of BMW owners club, let's see how it goes with Acura.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
OP, your reasoning for eliminating the 4 cylinder options is laughable at best and I imagine you have no idea what a turbo is for. The 4 cylinders get excellent mileage when not in boost, but when you want that power, hit the pedal and go.

The torque a turbo 4 puts out is equal, if not greater to that of a v6. The other beauty is that the turbo allows you to reach max torque waaaay down low in the RPM band, where as a V6 has to make its way to around 5000rpm to hit max torque.

You essentially excluded some key market players because you didn't know any better. Next you'll say that turbo engines aren't reliable either, I bet.

You need to also consider when these engines, whether V6 or 4 cylinder, deliver all their power. Great, your RDX puts out it's peak horsepower near the top of the rpm band. How useful is that for daily driving?

Congrats on your purchase and I'm sure you will enjoy it for years to come, however, I just find some of your reasoning a bit silly. Post some interior and exterior shots if you can. The pearl white on ebony is a nice colour combo.
The following 3 users liked this post by TacoBello:
hand-filer (08-14-2015), HotRodW (08-15-2015), rbreeze (08-16-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 02:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TacoBello
OP, your reasoning for eliminating the 4 cylinder options is laughable at best and I imagine you have no idea what a turbo is for. The 4 cylinders get excellent mileage when not in boost, but when you want that power, hit the pedal and go.

The torque a turbo 4 puts out is equal, if not greater to that of a v6. The other beauty is that the turbo allows you to reach max torque waaaay down low in the RPM band, where as a V6 has to make its way to around 5000rpm to hit max torque.

You essentially excluded some key market players because you didn't know any better. Next you'll say that turbo engines aren't reliable either, I bet.

You need to also consider when these engines, whether V6 or 4 cylinder, deliver all their power. Great, your RDX puts out it's peak horsepower near the top of the rpm band. How useful is that for daily driving?

Congrats on your purchase and I'm sure you will enjoy it for years to come, however, I just find some of your reasoning a bit silly. Post some interior and exterior shots if you can. The pearl white on ebony is a nice colour combo.
This person hits the nail right on the head and hits the nail dead center.

And for your information it was the OP's non-logical comments that brought up the comparison with BMW.

I traded in my BMW E90 for an RDX for a similar reason as many people stated already: Maintenance cost and upkeep after warranty. It scares the pants off me whenever I start the car not knowing what repairs are coming. Mind you the car is great and handles much better than RDX and I am sure many who driven BMWs will agree with me. Once you factor into cost of ownership and upkeep then the table is turned against it.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:13 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
I think the previous poster is correct in saying that this particular thread was about why he bought the Acura and what he likes about them. Talking about the superiority of another vehicle is simply deviating off the topic.
We can start another topic on those (since we like reading about BMWs, but not owning them ha ha).
Old 08-14-2015, 04:41 PM
Burning Brakes

I think Lexus released official stats and for the RX350 it was 60 or 70% womennim North America. Lexus have nice interiors but the body is softer and if you look under most Lexus, it is not as solid as an Acura (more spaces where salt and dirt can get in) The Acura engine also feels more powerful than a Lexus.

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
I think your rationale is overall excellent. Congrats on your purchase (especially the white/ebony)!!

Where I live here in Marin County CA, I'm sorry to say the RDX is a favorite of the soccer mom set, second only to the MDX.

RX350s are the overwhelmingly popular choice with the AARP crowd.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:52 PM
Burning Brakes

You should check the 0 to 100 km/h (or 0 to 60 miles/h) times of V6's vs V4 or I4's. Generally, the 6 cylinder beats the 4 cylinder even if it's turbo charged.

Now imagine you have two heavy wagons of equal weight/mass. You have two horses. The first horse is almost twice the size of the smaller horse, but the smaller horse is faster (when not pulling a wagon). They each have to pull one of the wagons daily. Which horse do you think would last longer year after year of pulling wagons? The bigger horse is a 6 cylinder engine, the smaller horse is a 4 cylinder engine.

Originally Posted by TacoBello

Old 08-14-2015, 05:01 PM
Burning Brakes

I test drove the 2016 RDX and didn't notice any problems... didn't notice when the 3 cylinders shut down while highway cruising.
I purposely drove over manhole covers and potholes in the road and it felt quite smooth. I think they improved the suspension from the previous generations and the thick rubber on the wheels seems to help too.

If you're into sporty BMWs, you should look at the BMW X4. It seems to come with more standard features than the X3 (though the X3 has more rearview visibility).

Your line of thinking is pretty similar to mine back in 2013. I was in between the RDX and X3 in matters of look and design. I decided to buy a 2013 RDX after a short but satisfactory test drive because the X3 was certainly very expensive with the options that I wanted. The RDX seemed to offer excellent value, the right size and a powerful engine; The VCM seemed seamless (I was coming from a Chevy avalanche with VCM [going from 8 cyl to 4] and I never noticed it) and I even got a free powertrain warranty up to 100k miles or 10 years (Rick Case Acura). I also got a excellent discount

After a while (enough for the computer to learn driving habits) I started having serious issues with the damn VCM (subtle vibration in steering wheel and pedals at low rpms [30-40 mph) and also vibration at 80-85 mph at highway speeds. I took it to the dealer service dept countless times to complain about this and they always played the same card: 'normal specs'. I also took it to independent shops [to check for a bent rim or wobbled tire] but they couldnt find anything wrong, so I am almost sure that the VCM was the culprit [not counting that possibility that my RDX could have been cursed ]

I also started noticing that the RDX drive train was behaving too jerky in stop/go city traffic and started hating the aggressive downshifting when coming to a stop. After a long while I was certain that the dealership (and Acura as a brand) was going to do nothing about my problem (The only way you can tackle a situation is by first admitting there is a problem and then addressing it) and I was very unhappy with this situation so I decided to unload the RDX.

I then went with my 2nd choice, the X3 28i. Thankfully no more VCM crap and no more vibration, way more stability taking turns hot with the Xdrive system, very smooth 8 spd ZF trans, better steering feedback, boy I also love the fineline wave wood trim and the pano sunroof, plus the availability of different driving modes (The Acura full time drive train would be equivalent to Sport mode in the X3 which is nice in certain situations but too jerky for everyday driving); For these type of situations I use "comfort" mode and the vehicle behaves very smoothly. Apart from my vibrations I never had any other issue with the RDX in 19 months and the X3 has been flawless in a year

I agree that supposedly the X3 might not be suitable for long term ownership. Well, I have geico MBI and I am planning to have it for 7 years, although I have been entertaining the idea of trading my 28i (if I get an great deal at the end of the production cycle) for a ALL-OUT 2016 Xdrive35i M-sport + dynamic suspension + premium + Tech + 20" wheels in metallic RED. That would be truly awesome. If I enjoy my 4-turbo banger, Could you imagine the 6-cyl turbo?

Anyway, I wish you good luck and I hope that you dont have the same issues that I had with my RDX

Note: If the RDX had a non-molested V6 and different driving modes, I would still most likely have it
Old 08-14-2015, 05:10 PM
Instructor

I test drove the 2016 RDX and didn't notice any problems... didn't notice when the 3 cylinders shut down while highway cruising.
I purposely drove over manhole covers and potholes in the road and it felt quite smooth. I think they improved the suspension from the previous generations and the thick rubber on the wheels seems to help too.

If you're into sporty BMWs, you should look at the BMW X4. It seems to come with more standard features than the X3 (though the X3 has more rearview visibility).
I simply can't stand the design of the X4; I thought that it would grow on me with time (like many new Acura models did) but has not happened. I dont even like the X6; I believe that having this type of rear design in a SUV really defeats the purpose of owning a SUV; Before going the X4 or X6 route I would get a 335 with m-sport or a M3 if I have the $$$
Old 08-14-2015, 05:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
You should check the 0 to 100 km/h (or 0 to 60 miles/h) times of V6's vs V4 or I4's. Generally, the 6 cylinder beats the 4 cylinder even if it's turbo charged.

Now imagine you have two heavy wagons of equal weight/mass. You have two horses. The first horse is almost twice the size of the smaller horse, but the smaller horse is faster (when not pulling a wagon). They each have to pull one of the wagons daily. Which horse do you think would last longer year after year of pulling wagons? The bigger horse is a 6 cylinder engine, the smaller horse is a 4 cylinder engine.
First off, there is no such thing as a V4. Edit: well, there is, but not in modern vehicles. Motorcycles? Yes. But that's not what we're talking about. 99% of 4 cylinder engines are I4s.

Second, take those 0-60 times with a grain of salt. You can have three different sources review the same car and be off by as much as half a second. No one ever talks about weather conditions, temperatures or even altitude when it comes to 0-60 times, which can all have a big impact on the number.

Third, if you're concerned about 0-60 times, why are you buying an SUV instead of a sports car? How often will those 0-60 times be important in your daily commute?

Fourth, you again do not know how a turbo engine works. What you are talking about is more accurate when comparing engines that are under a heavy load, say, like when towing a large trailer. Moving a 4000lb car is not going to kill a turbo I4 engine. Manufacturers are turboing vehicles left right and centre. They aren't all sitting on the road dead.

Fifth, turbo engines generally have stronger internals as compared to non turbo engines. They are built to last.

Last edited by TacoBello; 08-14-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My purchasing decision came down to X3 35i & RDX. Wife drives a '14 MDX so we know what to expect from Acura. To me the RDX was the "smart" choice in terms for quality, maintenance costs, reliability, and resale value but the X3 was the "emotional" choice. So much fun to drive whether you chose the 28i or 35i. I test drive both and was absolutely amazed at the cars handling and acceleration. I went into a corner turn at 40 mph and didn't even ride the brakes and the X3 handled it beautifully. I was stupified. But after sleeping on it I'd have to settle for a pre-owned X3 with 20K miles and not even get all of the options the Advance provided to pay the same price. Once I found out my new job would require 25K+ miles a year there was no way I'd be buying a German car. Instantly the RDX's "boring" drive became the "smart" choice for me. After a week of ownership I'm even more pleased now than I thought I'd be. While the RDX lacks the quickness the turbo charged 28i has, the RDX does get up to speed pretty quickly, at least enough to easily pass someone on the freeway.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:16 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Without going into the whole 4 vs 6 cylinder debate, I think one of the reasons most of the people in this sub-forum chose to purchase the RDX is because of the 6-cylinder engine rather than settling with a car with a 4-cylinder.

Congrats on your new purchase, rockyboy.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
Funny how my smaller horse has a 3,500 pound tow rating and your bigger horse is only rated for 1,500 pounds.

The bigger horse is a 6 cylinder engine, the smaller horse is a 4 cylinder engine.
The following 2 users liked this post by hand-filer:
HotRodW (08-15-2015), rbreeze (08-16-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 09:56 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So I bought the 2016 RDX Elite AWD, white on ebony (All models in Canada are AWD and mine has power folding mirrors). Soon to be delivered in 1-2 weeks. (MSRP + Freight) here it is $48,759.75 Canadian. Got help from car cost canada so got it for a bit under $45,000. In Ontario, Canada, there is a 13% sales tax on top of that.

I looked at various crossovers/small SUV/CUVs including the Porsche Macan, BMW X4, X3, X1, Audi q3, Audi q5, Lexus NX, Lexus RX, RDX 2015, Mercedes GLA, Lincoln MKX, Lincoln MKC, Cadillac SRX.

1. I ruled out the Lincolns and Cadillac because I feel the German and Japanese cars are more reliable or perform better than these. Also where I live, mostly elderly people drive Cadillac and Lincoln SUVs (don't have anything against the elderly, just not in my age bracket).

2. I ruled out all 4 cylinder vehicles (2016 X3, X1, Audi q3, Lexus NX, Mercedse GLA). 4 cylinders are underpowered for winter driving and the acceleration is not as good. The exception is the Mercedes GLA AMG which has 355 horsepower. But the GLA is too small (they call it micro SUV?).

3. Ruled out the Porsche Macan and BMW X4 because once these are optioned out, couldn't justify the higher cost ($10,000-$20,000 or more). Also, maintenance/repair costs are significantly higher and long-term reliability is questionable.

4. The 2015 Lexus RX350 fsport is on sale here for $6,000 off. I ruled it out because it has lower horsepower than the 2016 RDX and slower acceleration and the grills on the Lexus are poorly designed compared to the 2016 RDX. Also where I live, mostly soccer moms drive Lexus RX350's.

5. I ruled out the Audi q5 because the exterior design is poor. The grill looks like it takes up 90% of the front and the rear of the car looks terribly plain with two big lights tacked on. Also, reliability is questionable.

In the end, I chose the 2016 RDX even though the 2015 RDX has a $4500 manufacturer rebate right now. The improvements in the 2016 are worth more than $4500 (MUCH improved look--3D grill and LED head and tail lights and well thought out lines in general--along with all the added technology features).

I got the fully loaded Elite 2016 RDX because it is only about $4500 or so more than the base model. This is a great deal considering most of the other luxury brands, to go from base to fully loaded is near $10,000 - $20,000 more than the base price. I also like the rims on the RDX Elite. They are bright and shiny and look unique. When looking at rims, many people make the mistake of just looking at them while they are not in motion. The RDX Elite rims look good while not in motion and look great on the move as they are spinning.

The 2016 RDX is highly reliable (so I won't have to suffer too many repairs), technologically advanced and has the highest safety ratings (reinforced hull, etc.). Also, of all the vehicle I looked at, the exterior looks the most beautiful (along with the BMW X4). The exterior is well-thought out and looks very balanced. Some of these other luxury SUVs, looks like they just tacked on a giant grill (*cough, cough* Lexus, Audi *cough, cough*) because they were too lazy to create nice lines and a balanced configuration as found in the 2016 RDX or they have insect looking eyes that looked just weird (*cough, cough* newer Mercedes *cough, cough*). Most of the other luxury vehicle makers rip you off on the options or packages--Acura gives the best value. Finally, where I live, all the upscale neighbourhoods have plenty of Acuras in their driveways, including a few 2016 RDX's that I have spotted so far.

The reason I went with the pearl white exterior is because it looks the best in bright sunlight and also at night. It gives it a powerful road presence especially with the LED head lights shining. It gives it a luxurious appearance that will stay "new looking" for a long time. Also, it reflects sunlight the best so it will help prevent the car from heating up vs darker colours. Silver was my second choice but I already have another vehicle that is silver. The other colour choices for the 2016 RDX are a bit too dark for my tastes. I went with the black interior because it looks the cleanest.

So in conclusion, I bought the 2016 RDX Elite because it was the best overall package for performance, technology, safety, good looks, reliability and best value.
Congrats dude, Im from Canada too and I love how it has so much more features compared to the U.S.

I hate when people say they bought a car , but don't post pictures of it lol.

I'm just kidding...
Old 08-15-2015, 09:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hand-filer
Funny how my smaller horse has a 3,500 pound tow rating and your bigger horse is only rated for 1,500 pounds.
The N20 engine is a proven torque beast. About the RDX I could never understand why it was designed for only 1500 lbs, but most likely the engineers know better
Old 08-15-2015, 10:08 AM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by yeoyes
Without going into the whole 4 vs 6 cylinder debate, I think one of the reasons most of the people in this sub-forum chose to purchase the RDX is because of the 6-cylinder engine rather than settling with a car with a 4-cylinder.

Congrats on your new purchase, rockyboy.
If you want a 4-cylinder RDX, the CRV is an even better value! The Touring CRV has the majority of the features (Honda Sensing / Acurawatch) that the RDX does.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:26 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hddnav
If you want a 4-cylinder RDX, the CRV is an even better value! The Touring CRV has the majority of the features (Honda Sensing / Acurawatch) that the RDX does.
I'm one of those that's looking for 6-cylinder engine.

The CRV is similar to the RDX, but here's why I've crossed it out:
  • CVT transmission and vibration issue
  • Weak 4-cylinder engine
  • Weird backseat folding mechanism
  • Tumor growing out of the back and passenger side mirror
  • Minivan style gear box
  • Instrument cluster design
  • Reversed placement of NAV/radio compared to RDX
  • Inferior quality compared to RDX

It's a $10K difference, but based on the list above, I'm willing to pay the premium price.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:05 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hand-filer
Nobody buys a small CUV like X3 or RDX with hauling in mind.
How many have you seen around? Maybe 1 out of 1000? Do you have a trailer hitch on yours?
1500 pound is enough for small trailers, bikes or a jet ski anyway, bigger stuff needs a truck IMHO.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:37 AM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by yeoyes
[*]CVT transmission and vibration issue[*]Weak 4-cylinder engine[*]Weird backseat folding mechanism[*]Tumor growing out of the back and passenger side mirror[*]Minivan style gear box[*]Instrument cluster design[*]Reversed placement of NAV/radio compared to RDX[*]Inferior quality compared to RDX[/LIST]
The 2015 CRV really upped its game, even more so than the 2016 RDX. However, you do have valid points.

Honda not being able to solve the CVT vibration issue is just like all their other ongoing Engineering problems without fixes for the owners affected. Problems such as the TL 4G 3.7L oil burning, the TL 3G dashboard cracking, the 2000's auto transmission fiasco, the TLX 9AT timebomb, and the VCM class action lawsuit. Buying a Honda does require the mentality of navigating a minefield nowadays, unfortunately.

What is a weak 4 culinder engine is a peppy economical grocery getter engine for another. Not everyone can stomach a V6 with 18MPG on premium unleaded while being stuck in traffic. Thus, a case for intentionally preferring the CRV engine.

The issues with aesthetics are strictly personal. I find the CRV to be more utilitarian and not in a bad way. The dashboard for the RDX, for example, looks like it's straight from the parts bin of an ILX, TLX, etc... The CRV dashboard is stripped fom an Accord and actually looks more high tech, in my opinion.

It's true that the RDX has more expensive plastics, but I wouldn't say that the CRV materials are lower quality. Just less soft touch, with the Acura only a half step above.

I myself test drove the 2016 RDX a couple tumes and do like it. However, in my book, the main reason to choose the RDX over the CRV is the V6. I do think that the CRV has a more positive street reputation than the RDX, though.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by giovane
Nobody buys a small CUV like X3 or RDX with hauling in mind.
How many have you seen around? Maybe 1 out of 1000? Do you have a trailer hitch on yours?
1500 pound is enough for small trailers, bikes or a jet ski anyway, bigger stuff needs a truck IMHO.
I was poking fun at the OP's analogy of comparing animals to machines. I could care less about the towing capacity but do take comfort in the fact that my vehicle is up to the task mechanically and structurally should I decide to do so.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:46 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by hddnav
The 2015 CRV really upped its game, even more so than the 2016 RDX. However, you do have valid points.

However, in my book, the main reason to choose the RDX over the CRV is the V6.
I'd have to agree - at the end of the day the CRV really makes more sense. It is a solid and very practical car and would save a lot of money over time. But...

I'm yet not ready to cross into the realm of pedestrian, purely utilitarian vehicles that every other mom in town drives. I enjoy driving too much to settle for a CRV, so the punchy V6 would be worth the extra 10K to me, and probably many others here. I just need to drive my wife's Honda Element to remind myself of that
Old 08-15-2015, 01:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
I'd have to agree - at the end of the day the CRV really makes more sense for the vast majority of the US population . It is a solid and very practical car and would save a lot of money over time. But...
Don't get me wrong. The CRV is a great car and has the sales figure to prove it. Honda CR-V Sales Figures - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

Cost factor (total ownership cost) aside, I think you'll have a hard time finding anyone who would choose the CRV over the RDX. It's only when you factor in the cost/value of the vehicles that the majority of people will choose the CRV over the RDX.

That being said, I think RDX owners are the minority who doesn't mind paying a premium ($3K~$10K) to get something that the CRV doesn't offer (see my CRV complaint in my previous post above).
Old 08-15-2015, 05:24 PM
Instructor

CRV is a great car and it has certainly come a long way. Its 4 cylinder engine is very practical for city driving. For highway driving, a 4 cylinder engine is really all you need unless you have the urgent need to pass every tractor trailer and every driver you can find on the highway.

Before I pick the RDX I was going to settle for a 4 cylinder turbo engine (Another make/model) simply because it can cost less to maintain (Example: replacing only 4 spark plugs is certainly cheaper than replacing 6 at a time). At the end of the day I find that RDX offers the best balance between price and value.

0 - 60 times is a concern but not seriously regarded. If I care for 0-60 times, I would have gone with a 3 series or something sporty and not with a SUV. If I need to tow a trailer, I would have gotten a diesel SUV or something big that I can't fit in my garage. The first thing that comes to mind that requires towing is camping trailers and most of my neighbours purchased trucks for that.

Quick Reply: Why I bought the 2016 RDX Elite AWD (fully loaded, Canada) instead of the competition