What's behind the rear license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's behind the rear license plate?

Got the AWD with tech, what a nice riding vehicle.

I went to put the rear license plate on and see that when the dealer's vanity plate was removed, there was no plate holder. Rather there are two rectangular shaped holes in the liftgate exterior, each big enough to put my hand into and slide my hand down between the interior and exterior of the liftgate. Is that right or should there a covering plate or something over the two holes and then mount the license plate to it?

It looks strange to remove the dealer's vanity plate and see two sizable rectangular shapes holes instead of something solid that might prevent road grime from getting into.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I haven't removed my dealer vanity plates yet as I am waiting to have my provincial plates installed. I will have to check it out and report to you...that is a bit odd by the sounds of things.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:21 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
hawkeye252, take a pic and post it if you can. Based on your description, that sounds odd.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I just put my new plates on and there were 2 ea. 10mm bolt holes on the top and 2 ea. woodscrew type holes to secure the bottom. The plate holder and the plate mounted directly to the rear door.

My 10mm nut plate was in the bottom of the door ratteling around and I had to fish it out and then went back down for the dealer to secure that 4th hole which was that fallen nut plate.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by hawkeye252
Got the AWD with tech, what a nice riding vehicle.

I went to put the rear license plate on and see that when the dealer's vanity plate was removed, there was no plate holder. Rather there are two rectangular shaped holes in the liftgate exterior, each big enough to put my hand into and slide my hand down between the interior and exterior of the liftgate. Is that right or should there a covering plate or something over the two holes and then mount the license plate to it?

It looks strange to remove the dealer's vanity plate and see two sizable rectangular shapes holes instead of something solid that might prevent road grime from getting into.
I just put my plates on. There are two holes as you describe. Maybe for access to something. In any case, the plate covers the holes and if you put the two upper retaining screws in AND put the two lower retaining screws in, I doubt there will be any issues.

Regards, Jim
Old 05-29-2012, 04:37 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I kept the dealer vanity plate behind the actual plate to help add another layer of protection. I'm considering getting some weatherstripping to stick on the back of the vanity plate to help seal the area. I kept thinking about how much water was getting in as I was washing it last time.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
I am anxious to get mine (dealer said between today and June 2) and have a look at these holes. In defense of Acura, the lower rear hatch panel is heavy plastic so rust should not be a problem (not sure about the bottom). In addition, most car side windows allow rain water to flow down through the door and exit via drain holes without problem unless the drains get plugged. Hopefully there are drains in the bottom of the hatch if the license plate holes provide a significant entry point for water.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Suzuka Master

I had a chance to look under my vanity plates and those two gaping holes are there on mine too. The reason I still my vanity plate is to wait until June 1st to get my new plates since I have a temporary sticker valid till June 10th so I want to wait until June to gain one extra month on my registration. I hate giving the government any more money than I need so since I have the temporary sticker, I am milking it for what its worth
Old 05-29-2012, 10:27 PM
Instructor

Weather - are you concerned about water intrusion after you attach your real plates?
Old 05-30-2012, 05:05 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Those 2 gaping holes was used to put my hands in with my 8 inch wand with sticky tape in and retrieved the fallen nut plate out.

I agree with Dorsey, the design looks solid to me and they made it easy to get that fallen metal tool or nut out so that it doesn't sit and rust.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Dorsey...I am not overly concerned about it to be honest with you. I am planning on keeping the vanity plate underneath my real plates but it is still curious why these are there. Does it have any purposes? I am not sure why this was created as such...I'd be curious the "why"
Old 05-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
Dorsey...I am not overly concerned about it to be honest with you. I am planning on keeping the vanity plate underneath my real plates but it is still curious why these are there. Does it have any purposes? I am not sure why this was created as such...I'd be curious the "why"
Maybe to save a few ounces and $2 of material of manufacturing cost?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by weather
Access to the license plate bulb?
Old 05-31-2012, 08:02 AM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
The little mounting nubs that stick out about 1/8 th inch from the tailgate surface makes putting another plate behind the legal one useless. Anything mounted to the nubs sticks out from the tailgate about 1/8th inch. The idea of a weather strip might work to form a seal between the plate and tailgate.

I checked the bottom of the tailgate and it appears that there are two or three weep slots.

Jim