What/Where are these "Features"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
What/Where are these "Features"?

I have looked in both the Nav and Op manual and done a search in the respective pdf files with no luck.

On the dash, just to the left and slightly up from the red start/stop button is a small six slot "grill". What is it?

In the cargo compartment, on the left side near the cargo cover mount is a two slot "grille". What is it?

Somewhere I saw directions for adjusting the sound level on the sub-woofer and the central speaker. I assume the sub-woofer is the large speaker on the right in the cargo area, but where is the "central" speaker?

Finally, the rather large "grill" in the overhead light/homelink panel is identified as the microphone. Many microphones are not much more than a small hole. I wonder why is it so large?

Thanks for any insight, Jim
Old 06-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I believe the slots on the dash are the temperature sensor (page 155 of the owner's manual)

You are correct about the sub-woofer. The center speaker is up on the top of the dash.

If you look closely at the microphone, it looks like it is only on the left side - I assume the mesh look going all the way across is for aesthetics...

No clue about the slots in the cargo area...
Old 06-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by bh9712
I believe the slots on the dash are the temperature sensor (page 155 of the owner's manual)

You are correct about the sub-woofer. The center speaker is up on the top of the dash.

If you look closely at the microphone, it looks like it is only on the left side - I assume the mesh look going all the way across is for aesthetics...

No clue about the slots in the cargo area...
They are probably for a tonneau cover if you buy this option as they neglected to put this option in. Acura should have done the same hard shelf as in the 1st gen.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
They are probably for a tonneau cover if you buy this option as they neglected to put this option in. Acura should have done the same hard shelf as in the 1st gen.
They call it a "cargo cover" which I have, like a window shade. The slots are more like a grill, not a mounting spot for anything and only on the left side.

Thanks, Jim
Old 06-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
[quote=bh9712;13829976]I believe the slots on the dash are the temperature sensor (page 155 of the owner's manual)

I always thought that was the door chime speaker. My 2006 Civic had those slots and it didn't have Auto Climate Control.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by hawkeye62
I have looked in both the Nav and Op manual and done a search in the respective pdf files with no luck.

On the dash, just to the left and slightly up from the red start/stop button is a small six slot "grill". What is it?

As bh9712 stated, I am pretty sure it has to do with the temp sensor.

In the cargo compartment, on the left side near the cargo cover mount is a two slot "grille". What is it?

I had to go check mine and I see what you are talking about...its baffling to be honest. I don't see any purpose to this.

Somewhere I saw directions for adjusting the sound level on the sub-woofer and the central speaker. I assume the sub-woofer is the large speaker on the right in the cargo area, but where is the "central" speaker?

As bh9712 stated, the sub woofer is in the cargo area (to the right) while the central speaker is on the dash. I have toned down the output from teh center speaker because I found that it was a little overpowering and made the side speakers seem as if they weren't outputting.

Finally, the rather large "grill" in the overhead light/homelink panel is identified as the microphone. Many microphones are not much more than a small hole. I wonder why is it so large?

Not sure either?

Comments embedded above....
Old 06-10-2012, 06:20 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd bet money that it is a vent for the motor for the automatic tailgate. Multiple open closes will cause heat.

Somebody at Honda spent a year of their life researching, designing and testing the shape/size/orientation of that vent.

Coming from the auto/aero test system world I'm wouldn't be surprised if there was a test bed on 10000 cycles right now of opening/closing that tailgate

Last edited by juice13; 06-10-2012 at 06:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Racer

Thanks for the replies guys, what a great forum! bh9712, I should have known that was the temperature sensor, I think my 2001 MDX had something similar. And I would have never thought to look at the dash for the central speaker. weather, thanks for the tip on the central speaker volume. I have the same sense as you do, the side speakers don't seem to be putting out anything. I am going to adjust that central speaker sound today. juice13, I would join you in betting on those slots being for the tailgate motor. The motor and mechanism for the power tailgate are adjacent to those slots.

Thanks again, Jim
Old 06-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Racer

I just finished decreasing the center speaker sound level, much improved overall sound! I noticed that the Dolby was off, I guess that is the factory default setting. Wouldn't Dolby on be desirable?

Thanks, Jim
Old 06-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That's up to you, play around with it on and off and see if you like it. The Dolby setting is supposed to simulate surround sound for your stereo music, I personally don't like it on.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Suzuka Master

I just finished decreasing the center speaker sound level, much improved overall sound! I noticed that the Dolby was off, I guess that is the factory default setting. Wouldn't Dolby on be desirable?

Thanks, Jim
I am glad that my tip on the centre speaker brought an added music enjoyment level to your RDX. That is the first thing I noticed when I pulled away from the dealership. I almost turned around as I thought my speakers were not working

Myself, I like to have the Dolby surround simulator on....I find it just add depth to the listening pleasure but this is a relative thing. I like it but COrrion doesn't. Try it and see what you thing Give us an update
Old 06-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Racer

I am not much of an audio aficionado, but after trying several different selections, I think I will leave Dolby on. I couldn't tell much if any difference between on or off on most selections, but one selection gave much better sound with Dolby on. I was playing jazz selections from HDD (recorded from CD).

Thanks, Jim
Old 06-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Racer

I did a little research on the Accura/ELS Surround. It has six channels for the surround experience. I guess I don't know how Dolby interacts with such a system. As I said earlier, I am no audio aficionado, so I would appreciate a discussion by someone who knows about this stuff.

Thanks, Jim
Old 06-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Suzuka Master

HI hawkeye62 (Jim)....I am far from a musician or an expert myself except knowing what I like and dislike when it comes to audio (and everything for that matter). The ELS system (developed by Elliot Scheiner in cooperation with Pioneer) is designed to give you a full surround sound when played material that is encoded in such a way. That is why the demo CD provided gives such exceptional sound quality. I have a few DVD-Audio titles but the technology died a few years after it got born because of a format war that eventually, both lost (similar to the Beta and VHS war). Its unfortunate because in the process, we have lost a very high quality encoded format and now, because of Ipods, mp3 etc, people have embraced the format and convenience over quality. MP3 is a compressed format and while most can't tell the difference, a real audiophile will be able to tel the difference.

So to answer your question, when you listen to a regular CD or MP3, you are not listening to the material in a surround fashion. What the Dolby Pro Logic II is trying to do is to trick the listener by converting a stereo encoded track into a simulated surround sound but again, it is a simulation and not a good as a truly encoded surround sound with a higher bit rate sampling rate. It can give a wider range sound and send the sound to all speakers creating an appearance of a fuller sound....Again, some will like it and some won't. Purist will say that music should be listened in stereo and not in surround but others will say that when you attend a concert, you are able to perceive the sound in a surround like manner so why not enjoy it at home or in the car. I like it but that is just my opinion....let your ears determine what you like best (which you seem to have enjoyed better as well)

Cheers,
Mike