What Color?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
What Color?

I just checked the two local Acura dealers inventories. Note that some of these cars are sold. They appear on inventory when assigned to the dealer. There are 20 cars between he two dealers. Colors are:

Crystal Black 14
White Diamond 3
Graphite 2
Basque Red 1

Any thoughts?

Jim
Old 06-11-2012, 06:51 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
white or graphite black is a PITA to take car of.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
I was contemplating making white my next car color since my last 2 have been black exterior/black interior. Black is the biggest PITA to keep clean. I would think white would show dirt, but swirl marks/imperfections in the clearcoat would at least not be as big an issue. But then I always wonder about color variations I keep hearing about in white cars between bumpers and metal.

It's pretty pathetic when you've had a car for almost 9 years and are still undecided on what interior or exterior color you want for your next car you're about to buy. Or even what car you're going to buy. I suck. lol.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:19 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
white will hide dirt a bit. swirls will show only in certain lighting angles. and the paint match is a bit tricky if body work is ever needed (pearl paint about as bad as metallic paint to match). silver will hide the most in swirls/ scratches and dirt. we have a silver accord and even when it's a bit dirty it still looks clean. i have two gray cars with black interiors (the black interior is a must have for me), the gray will show dirt but will hide some swirls or scratches. however i'm anal and my cars don't stay dirty long enough to accumulate crap on them.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
I agree that Black is a PITA as far as hiding all the little swirls but for me, I have had no problem keeping a white vehicle looking stellar. Even my Rav4 that I drove in the snow/salt/sand, I was able to bring it to an incredible shine and remove all imperfections (grime). IMHO, silver is the easiest color to maintain while the darker the colors, the harder they seem to show more the dirt and especially, those tiny swirls or super fine scratches.

The only drawback with a white vehicle is that after driving it for a while, the dust and soot from the tires so deposit on the vehicle. You can't tell its dirty until someone walks by your vehicle and rubs against it and then you can tell that the car was dirty

Honestly, between snow, rain, salt, bugs, road construction, parking lot door dings etc, trying to keep a car pristine for a clean freak like me will likely send me to mental hospital before too long *lol*
Old 06-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Depends a bit on where you are.
Black = never again. Too hard to keep clean and too hot for Florida.
White = great color for Florida, particularly with a tan interior. Wax hides alot of imperfections, does not fade.
Silver = Not sure why dealer does not have either shade but another good choice for not showing dirt. My experience has been that the clear coat seems to fail earlier on silver.
Red = I have this one and love it but can be prone to fade if not garaged. Also hot in Florida
Gray = Good choice but shows dirt.
Amber Brownstone - Not on your list due likely due to late build (probably same reason only one red at dealer). I have not seen this in person but might be worth waiting on as easy to keep clean,

Might have missed a color. It all boils down to what you like. Am always amazed at the number of black cars that dealers order relative to other colors. I guess they know something though.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Much agreement here. I DO know this. Pearl whites are a _itch to take care of when they are knicked, scratched, etc. So very hard to match the color. I've owned 1 black car out of 60 total. No fun at all to take care of.

Someone mentioned silver. I've owned many. Many shades of silver. Silver is not the problem it was in the past, especially for some American autos. Today's paints and clear coats are pretty darn good.
With the RDX I think the Forged Silver Metallic is a "sleeper" of a color. It gives you different hues depending on the lighting and angle. Sometimes silver...sometimes silvery blue. Not bad. And you get 2 options for an interior color. Parchment...which would look killer, and Ebony.

But, it's all subjective. But, there are lessons to be learned about Pearl White and Black for sure.
And guess what....my new RDX due in within 10 days or so...is...Pearl White!! Timing, timing!! It was my wife's choice....I wanted the Forged Silver Met. She would have gone with it....IF there would have been one available in a timely manner....but...NOOOOO.....so, now I'll be cringing everytime the Pearl White RDX is out on the road!!
The price I pay for being a great husband. LOL!!!!

Overall my 2 favorite colors are....a charcoal type grey and a traditional white. To me, both are easy to take care of and look great when all polished and shiny. White is a little easier to care for.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
The price I pay for being a great husband. LOL!!!!

Overall my 2 favorite colors are....a charcoal type grey and a traditional white. To me, both are easy to take care of and look great when all polished and shiny. White is a little easier to care for.
*lol* Being a great husband ALWAYS pays off in the long run

I agree that given the chose between Pearly White versus a Bright white, I would chose the bright white except, a nice pearly white does look a bit more classy Once that RDX sits in your driveway, you will never look back

Make sure you upload some pics when you get it....Did you also get any accessories? I must say that seeing those 19" rims from the 2012 Model really got me itchy.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
weather.....I know...it's like black. When it's fresh and newer, and clean and shiny the pearl looks great. I'm so anal when it comes to taking care of my cars...almost like you. I don't detail the underside though!! Rinse yes. I have been known to wax the inside of my wheels. Makes them easier to be cleaned. And we always park the farthest we have to at a store, etc...trying to stay away from the "door banging idiots" that are lurking out there just waiting to scratch and dent your new car with their "throw away cars!"

What I ended up deciding concerning accessories was this. Cost wise it is cheaper to buy all the items I want from Bernardi's. I have a pro Honda accessories installer that will put my body side mldgs. and the clear door edge strips on. He has done the same many, many times on CRV's and other Hondas. And their labor is very reasonable. The other items are simple for me to put on/in. The mud flaps are easy. The rest is inside stuff. No big deal.
So, from the dealer...nothing. I cancelled the 2 items I had originally said I wanted. I'll get those from Bernardi's.

I want to look at the wood kit at the dealer and take one piece and place it in the car to see how it looks. Here again...being the good husband....my wife likes the wood look...IF the wood has the right coloring. I know it's not real wood....but, if it looks right she'll want it!! Had it in her favorite '09 CRV. Hmm??? If we get that later, then I will pop for the wood and leather shift knob. Not the steering wheel though!! Too expensive. Heck the shift knob is not cheap, even with a 25% discount!
Still don't know if I want to buy the Acura All Season Mats. I really want Weather Techs...like most of us here, but, who knows exactly when they will be available.

I've spoken about this before. I will have the front end, 6" of the hood, wings on the front fenders, mirrors and door handle coves all clear bra'd. Got a real pro that does that. He wraps the entire front end. It's an art to do it right. The 3M material is very expensive. Costs more than the labor.

Let's see...what else??? Hmmm.....the cargo cover, and net and I think that's about it. Don't like the side boards. Saw them on an RDX and they are the same ones on the new CRV. Just don't add to the "look." Functional, I guess, but, it has to look right too. And I don't need or use roof racks. Besides....as we've discussed here before....they are noisy on the road with the wind howling around them.

Let's see...anything else.....Oh yeah, a speed shop I know can put a turbo and real duel exhaust on and I'll have the fastest '13 RDX around!!! LOL!! OK...NOT!