VCM? Weird rumble/vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 09:48 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
VCM? Weird rumble/vibration

My 2013 RDX (FWD w/Tech 5K miles) has continued having this bothering noise (rumble/ vibration), that happens from time to time at low rpms when moving at speeds of around 30-40mph or sometimes at low highway speeds. From what I have read here I thought what causes it is the VCM system. What I am talking about is not something almost imperceptible or product of my imagination, I am talking about a real vibration/weird rumble coming apparently from the engine. It is bothering me so much up to the point that I only enjoy the car when I floor it.

When I took my car to the dealer for the first time due to a recall notice, I mentioned this issue to the service manager (Acura Esserman in Miami) and afterwards she informed me that the technician had not found any real problem with this and that this behavior is within normal specifications, that the technician had compared it to other RDXs in the lot and that he found no differences. In my opinion this is totally bogus because what about the possibility that they suffer from the same problem or design flaw? Didn’t they consider this or just wanted to get rid of me? … Of course, you know what I think

My questions:

- Is this behavior really within normal specifications?

- Any other RDX owner experiencing this issue or similar?

- Does it bother you or for some reason I am simply having this issue more pronounced that other owners?

- Anybody know if there is a fix?

- Is Acura aware of this problem?

-Any advice you can give me related to this?

Thanks

Last edited by mindanalyzer; 06-20-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:39 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"normal" is subjective term. I have not observed this in my 3 week 2013 rdx with tech and 700 miles ...
Old 06-20-2013, 12:55 PM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
try a different dealer if you have the option. Others here have complained about it and discovered there was a "fix" that involved loosening and re-torquing some drive train bolts in a specific order.
I used to feel this all the time. Now that I've got 10K miles on it I don't feel it at all. It's possible the dealer corrected this for me when mine went in for maintenance, because just after that is when I realized I didn't notice it anymore. I hadn't asked for a solution to the issue though..I had accepted it as a "shame on me for buying a first year vehicle" issue like the shocks.
The following users liked this post:
mindanalyzer (06-20-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 03:25 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check out sub forum DIY & FAQ and search for RDX with Vibration. you are not alone. mine started at 2600 miles. first attempt to eliminate it was replacement of one of the electronically controlled engine mounts. was fine for a few days and then reappeared. second attempt was to replace the propeller shaft in the drive train and again it was fine for about a week and then slowly reverted to where it still is now. i have 20000 miles on the car and have learned to live with it. the reason it seems fine after "fix" attempt is because the computer has to re-learn how you drive the car is what i was told. the long and the short of it is Acura doesn't know how to eliminate and therefore they continue to say it's "normal". stay on them. push for concessions. i was able to secure the top of the line extended warranty for my trouble and as a fall back in case it worsens or does some real damage down the road. i call the dealer every now and then to see if a TSB (technical service bulletin) has been issued by Acura. nothing so far. good luck.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RDXer13
check out sub forum DIY & FAQ and search for RDX with Vibration. you are not alone. mine started at 2600 miles. first attempt to eliminate it was replacement of one of the electronically controlled engine mounts. was fine for a few days and then reappeared. second attempt was to replace the propeller shaft in the drive train and again it was fine for about a week and then slowly reverted to where it still is now. i have 20000 miles on the car and have learned to live with it. the reason it seems fine after "fix" attempt is because the computer has to re-learn how you drive the car is what i was told. the long and the short of it is Acura doesn't know how to eliminate and therefore they continue to say it's "normal". stay on them. push for concessions. i was able to secure the top of the line extended warranty for my trouble and as a fall back in case it worsens or does some real damage down the road. i call the dealer every now and then to see if a TSB (technical service bulletin) has been issued by Acura. nothing so far. good luck.
Damn that doesn't sound like much fun. I guess the AWD version doesn't have it?
Old 06-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
The AWD has it as well. I really noticed mine about the same time as I put my winter tires on. I thought it was just coincidence. When I put my summer tires back on it is hardly even noticeable. I would have never expected it, but there is a significant difference in my case.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Instructor

so is the loosening and re-torquing of the drive train bolts in a specific order a solution suggested by Acura or a result of trial and error tests?
Old 06-23-2013, 12:48 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FishX
"normal" is subjective term. I have not observed this in my 3 week 2013 rdx with tech and 700 miles ...
I agree with you. "Normal" is a subjective term with these type of problems. I have about 1400 miles on my 2014 AWD RDX and haven't experienced it ...yet. However, from all the descriptions, I can't believe that "torqueing" anything would solve the problem that's been described. I can understand if the drive shaft wasn't balanced properly to begin with, but, I would think it would be there from the beginning and not after some "subjective mileage".
Old 07-03-2013, 10:21 AM
WRE
2nd Gear

I've had my 2013 for 5 weeks and the low speed rumble and accompyaning steering wheel vibration is unacceptable. Could this be solved with a computer adjustement to prevent the VCM from kicking in at such low speed and rpms? I don't know what to do if the dealer just blows me off.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
This must not be widespread because I am not feeling a thing. The only time I would sense anything was around 60 km/h during the winter months when it was cold but otherwise, vibration free. Now that we have warm weather, I can't feel the car vibrate unless its Friday night in my favorite parking spot
Old 07-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
Mine did it this but only on the coldest of winter days. I suspect that the rubber stiffened up in the motor and transmission mounts and couldn't absorb the resonant frequencies when the VCM kicked in.
No vibrations during the summer months.
weather (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Thanks for confirming my experience with the vibration situation.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mindanalyzer
so is the loosening and re-torquing of the drive train bolts in a specific order a solution suggested by Acura or a result of trial and error tests?
It's an Acura prescribed fix that was explained to me by the Acura service manager about 4 months ago when I was inquiring about a fix for the shit shocks.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:54 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
In normal day-to-day driving, my FWD 2013 doesn't make any sounds/vibrations that I can feel.

At highway speeds on a 3000-mile cross-country trip, though, I found I could often tell when the VCM dropped power to the 2 or 3 cylinders ... there was an almost-imperceptible "rumble" that I attribute to the slight imbalance of the engine with some of the cylinders deactivated. It's a case of a 3- or 4-cylinder engine just not being as dynamically balanced as a 6-cyliner.

I don't find it unacceptable or even annoying, and my wife in the passenger seat couldn't even detect it when I pointed it out.

So I have to wonder if certain cars perhaps start out with a slightly unbalanced engine or drivetrain, and when the cylinder cutout occurs it magnifies the effect. Consider that some RDX's have silky-smooth engines at idle, and some have a little vibration ... now add to that at low engine speed with the offset load of 2 cylinders firing on one side and only 1 on the other side, and you have a slight rumble.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:34 PM
WRE
2nd Gear

Went to dealer today for "Wellness Check" and to have mystery rumble diagnosed. The service writer brought in a tech who described similar problem in 2013 that was low/no voltage to one of the e-motor mounts. Basically the cable was not connected from the factory. Got a call 90 minutes later explaining same scenario, power cable to front e-motor mount not connected, and that easy, problem solved. They seemed ready to go to bat for me, but not necessary. They said they have sold 30-40 2013 RDXs and had two with this problem. I wonder how many others are just living with it? Anyway, hope this helps someone else!
Old 07-19-2013, 04:18 PM
Instructor

Update after being to the dealership for 5K miles service:

I drove my RDX with the service director seated in the front passenger seat. He took his time, was very professional and accommodating, He even took a turn driving and agrees about the damned humming/rumble noise. Then we went back to the dealership and tested a 300 miles 2014 RDX; It also had the same behavior although more subtle. He concluded that this noise is apparently related to the VCM, but that they have not received any notice or bulletin from Acura about this issue.

After that they proceeded to do the oil & filter change, wheels balancing, tire rotation, inflated them from 30 to 35psi and reset the computer. He asked me to keep him up to date about the noise/rumble issue. I didn’t feel anything on the way back home but I expected it because of the computer reset and the fact that it takes some time to re-learn my driving habits.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:14 PM
AcurAdmirer

Darn you guys! You have me listening more closely now, and I admit there is a subtle low-frequency "rumble" sound when I perceive that the VCM is activated. Again, though, I believe it's just the tiny imbalance created by dropping cylinders, and the electronics just don't snuff it all out.

To me it's not a biggie, and I probably wouldn't have noticed it if it weren't discussed here. For the people with a bigger rumble problem, I hope you find the solution.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:57 AM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've only got about 500 miles on mine, and I've been really listening - but I can't detect anything other than what I think is normal road variation vibration.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I just returned from a short 425 mile trip with my 2013 RDX AWD Tech. Quite varied terrain, some mountains some rolling hills, some flat. As usual, I watched the instantaneous MPG to see when the VCM activates. And as usual, I cannot detect any vibration when the VCM activates. I feel/hear absolutely nothing. I see the MPG vary between 25 and 40 mpg. I presume 40 mpg on the flat is an indication of running on 3 cylinders and around 32 mpg is running on 4 cylinders and around 26 is running on 6 cylinders.

Regards, Jim
Old 08-08-2013, 08:35 PM
5th Gear

I also noticed the 'vibration' more in the colder winter months in MA, but does not seem as noticeable in the summer.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:30 PM
5th Gear

I have a similar issue with a 4 month old , 2014 RDX. Posting information on "Driveline vibration" forum.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Instructor

Hi, I UPDATED another thread and wanted to do the same with this one:

I recently brought my RDX to a nearby dealership for service and complained about some issues (VCM subtle vibration, vibration at 80-90 mph, lurching at low speeds, uncomfortable ride, etc); I had a test ride with a service advisor and could only replicate vibration at 80 mph, so they ended up having my car for 2.5 days (I dont know why it took that long). When I got it back I was surprised at how well & smooth the car rides, I don’t feel the low speed lurching that much and the VCM crap has been hardly perceptible.

I dont know exactly what they did. In the service report sheet they specify that the customer complains about vibration at 80-90 mph (dont tell the cops) and that the service technician found that the wheels were off-balanced and that it was fixed. It also specifies that the customer complains about a subtle VCM vibration (Humming/rumble noise) and that the service technician found the car to work under normal specs. The service advisor told me that they were going to apply any available software update (nothing is mentioned in the service report sheet), she told me that they had taken advantage of the occasion to replace the brake pads (don’t know reason) as if it was something unrelated to what I was experiencing. Well, I hope that the fixing of the VCM vibration is not related to a computer reset because in that case I know that I will have it back in a week or so. Ah, something else, they seem to have adjusted my steering wheel, it feels much stiffer and nice now
Old 12-15-2013, 08:27 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I recently brought my RDX to a nearby dealership for service and complained about some issues (VCM subtle vibration, vibration......When I got it back I was surprised at how well & smooth the car rides, I don’t feel the low speed lurching that much and the VCM crap has been hardly perceptible.

I dont know exactly what they did......

Maybe they gave it the "fresh air and sunshine treatment". Many years ago I worked as a mechanic for a Toyota dealership and when a customer brought in a car with a problem they couldn't easily replicate, they parked it in the lot for a couple of days and then called and told the customer that everything has been fixed. What is even funnier is that more often than not, the customer agreed and was happy. Go figure.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by techman707
Maybe they gave it the "fresh air and sunshine treatment". Many years ago I worked as a mechanic for a Toyota dealership and when a customer brought in a car with a problem they couldn't easily replicate, they parked it in the lot for a couple of days and then called and told the customer that everything has been fixed. What is even funnier is that more often than not, the customer agreed and was happy. Go figure.
Fresh air and sunshine treatment Very funny

Placebo effect in the world of cars. No, seriously, my Rdx is much smoother now. The technician found the wheels off balanced and fixed them so maybe it has all to do with how the Rdx drives now
Old 12-15-2013, 12:58 PM
AcurAdmirer

The rumble is definitely there. I don't look at it as a defect - it's just the mechanism by which a ton and half of fairly high-profile vehicle can get good highway mileage.

Especially when VCM drops the engine to 3 cylinders, there is an inherent imbalance that active motor mounts, balance shafts and other engineering trickery can't totally erase. Like when a hybrid's gasoline "helper" engine kicks in, it's just something you tolerate because you know it's saving you money.

For me, the RDX is already not as quiet at highway speeds as I'd like, and the added rumble is a little annoying. But I can live with it, at least until I trade again.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:02 PM
5th Gear

My 2014 just started the rumble most prevalent at around 1500 rpm, and around 30 mph. Have an appointment tomorrow, we'll see what they say.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hat4990
My 2014 just started the rumble most prevalent at around 1500 rpm, and around 30 mph. Have an appointment tomorrow, we'll see what they say.
Did it coincide with falling temperatures? Mine does it but only when it's very cold.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:46 AM
6th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Got a 2014 RDX Tech two weeks ago, immediately started getting a vibration at 50mph. I thought it would go away - probably the tires sat too long. At less than 400 miles, I got tired of the vibration (felt like the road surface changed all of a sudden).
The dealership test drove the car an agreed there was a vibration, not tire or suspension related. They ended up changing the entire Propeller Shaft (wouldn't balance)! It took them one day to complete the change - I got her back today, and she rides smooth now - like she should for a faux Luxury SUV.
BTW - I really like the RDX - my wife especially, as she was coming out of a 2005 Accord V6. It seemed very familiar to her, she felt comfortable and knew where most controls could be found.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by magoo
Got a 2014 RDX Tech two weeks ago, immediately started getting a vibration at 50mph. I thought it would go away - probably the tires sat too long. At less than 400 miles, I got tired of the vibration (felt like the road surface changed all of a sudden).
The dealership test drove the car an agreed there was a vibration, not tire or suspension related. They ended up changing the entire Propeller Shaft (wouldn't balance)! It took them one day to complete the change - I got her back today, and she rides smooth now - like she should for a faux Luxury SUV.
BTW - I really like the RDX - my wife especially, as she was coming out of a 2005 Accord V6. It seemed very familiar to her, she felt comfortable and knew where most controls could be found.
After one happy week I got my rumble vibration back . It looks like the mechanic did some work and reset the computer as part of what they were doing; initially the VCM didnt kick in because the computer was in learning mode but I got it back as soon as it finished learning my driving habits. So I will do my very best to live with it and not complain about it anymore.

I am not trying to spoil your happiness but it could be that your RDX is in learning mode after they reset the computer when they replaced the propeller shaft. Wait for a couple of weeks until you can say for sure that the VCM vibration is gone for good.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:06 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by weather
This must not be widespread because I am not feeling a thing. The only time I would sense anything was around 60 km/h during the winter months when it was cold but otherwise, vibration free. Now that we have warm weather, I can't feel the car vibrate unless its Friday night in my favorite parking spot
Same issue during the winter months...
Old 12-27-2013, 02:54 PM
6th Gear

after reading above from magoo and mindanalyzer I will jump back into this and report that I have been through all of it from e-motor mount replacement to propeller shaft replacement. the propeller was done just over a year ago and it was noticeably better for 6 or 7 months. the symptoms gradually returned and now it is back in full force and very irritating. most annoying when light pressure on gas in the 1200-1400 rpm range usually around 30-45 mph although at cruising speed of 65 mph it often shows up as a "subtle" rumble which isn't as bad as the low speed occurrences. I've been watching for someone to report a software update or anything concrete before I take it back again. I now have 33000+ miles on the car so I deal with it more than most. I was able to get a 100000 mile bumper to bumper extended warranty from Acura for all of my troubles early on so I am protected in case some serious issues arise in the future. I love the car but would not even consider buying another one until a "fix" is found that eliminates it completely.
mindanalyzer (12-27-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 10:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Along with the VCM activation, I attribute my rumble issue with the transmission. I find it is always trying to get into the highest gear possible for the speed you are traveling, which also makes the vehicle feel laggy. Once the computer learns your driving style (i.e. economy) it will shift very early. I think resetting the ecu eliminates the feeling but then returns shortly thereafter. Driving more aggressively after a reset may help reduce the driveline vibration, but it will also reduce your fuel economy of course. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:07 AM
5th Gear

After one happy week I got my rumble vibration back . It looks like the mechanic did some work and reset the computer as part of what they were doing; initially the VCM didnt kick in because the computer was in learning mode but I got it back as soon as it finished learning my driving habits. So I will do my very best to live with it and not complain about it anymore.

I am not trying to spoil your happiness but it could be that your RDX is in learning mode after they reset the computer when they replaced the propeller shaft. Wait for a couple of weeks until you can say for sure that the VCM vibration is gone for good.
Have you noticed any more of the higher speed issues that the wheel balancing helped with? The VCM issues i can understand when the engine drops to firing on less cylinders I would expect that it would not be as smooth. However, I also was having the higher speed vibration issues which seemed to get solved by high speed tire balancing last summer, however the vibration has recently returned and is worse than ever.

Thanks for the tip about the re-learning mode. That makes sense with respect to VCM.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:17 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by hand-filer
Did it coincide with falling temperatures? Mine does it but only when it's very cold.
Did you retrofit your 2013 RDX with 2012 RDX rear shocks or did the dealer? Or did I misread your thread.
They are currently replacing a front strut due to a rattle I am hearing in cold temps. I will keep a keen ear out to see if I am getting rattles from the back struts too. It is very hard to tell sometimes where the rattle is coming from. Recently had to have some clips replaced on a plastic shield located under the car just under passenger/rear seat area, the original clips had some sort of issue and the shield had come loose and was rattling.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:37 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2013 RDX and it didn't vibrate when I got it nor the first winter but it sure does now. Same symptoms as others describe and at various speeds. It's as if it is in too high a gear for the engine revs. Acura said it is the VCM and this is normal but it wasn't normal when I got the vehicle and it is degrading my good feelings about my RDX. While they were checking mine out they gave me a 2014 RDX and I could feel the same thing although not as bad. I am waiting to see if it disappears when things warm up. I suspect Acura recognize it as a flaw but don't know how to fix it yet. I was also using a non-Top Tier premium gas for awhile and have switched back to a Top Tier to see if that helps.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:41 AM
10th Gear

So, is this issue seemingly fixed by the recently released TSB?

(per this thread https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-problems-fixes-409/drive-line-vibration-%40-around-1500-rpm-upshifts-901179/)

Is that what people here think?

I'm in the market for a new AWD RDX and I'm trying to figure out what I'm in for.

Any other tips or advice from the crowd?

I did notice the thing about the VCM shifting. I thought I noticed it during the test drive but I wasn't sure. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Maybe ignorance is bliss. ?
Old 02-18-2014, 09:30 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by marcoesquandolas
So, is this issue seemingly fixed by the recently released TSB?

(per this thread https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901179)

Is that what people here think?

I'm in the market for a new AWD RDX and I'm trying to figure out what I'm in for.

Any other tips or advice from the crowd?

I did notice the thing about the VCM shifting. I thought I noticed it during the test drive but I wasn't sure. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Maybe ignorance is bliss. ?
So, I bought a '14 AWD.

Right away felt the vibration. Took it into the dealer and mentioned the TSB. They test drove it and replicated the problem. Took a day and a half for the part to arrive and for install.

Picked up this evening and car drives very smooth. No vibration. Only put a couple miles on it but will report back after a few days of driving with my final thoughts. Seems to have fixed the problem.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
@marcoesquandolas (and others):
Please keep us posted if replacing the part has fixed the issue long term.

I've experienced this issue since August 2012 (I bought my 2013 RDX the week they were released). I've taken it to two dealers (total of 4 visits) for this vibration/rumble issue and each time the dealer says they notice it and can replicate the issue, but they have no fix for it and are waiting for Acura to address it.

I'll be due for service in a month or so and will bring this issue back up and mention the TSB and will pray this fixes the issue. Without this vibration/rumble issue, I would love my RDX...with the issue I really do not enjoy driving it.

Please keep us posted...thanks!
Old 02-19-2014, 07:44 AM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by nyse_19
@marcoesquandolas (and others):
Please keep us posted if replacing the part has fixed the issue long term.

I've experienced this issue since August 2012 (I bought my 2013 RDX the week they were released). I've taken it to two dealers (total of 4 visits) for this vibration/rumble issue and each time the dealer says they notice it and can replicate the issue, but they have no fix for it and are waiting for Acura to address it.

I'll be due for service in a month or so and will bring this issue back up and mention the TSB and will pray this fixes the issue. Without this vibration/rumble issue, I would love my RDX...with the issue I really do not enjoy driving it.

Please keep us posted...thanks!

Print the TSB and bring it with you, my dealer wasn't familiar with the fix until I brought it to their attention, which I found sad since it was available here before they knew about it. They thanked me for bringing it to their attention and used it to fix the problem for other customers. I've had no vibrations at any speed since the shaft replacement, I guess getting the shaft isn't always a bad thing.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:09 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was reading about this issue in the Honda Pilot forum yesterday. Someone actually filed for arbitration and they were able to get Honda to buy back his Pilot. Is VCM really worth all the trade-offs?

Quick Reply: VCM? Weird rumble/vibration