Upgrade from RDX- used MDX, Lexus or Benz?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 08:44 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Upgrade from RDX- used MDX, Lexus or Benz?

My mom moved in with me and my 2015 base RDX has become a little too tight. My 7 year old special needs son is very tall and like to put his legs on head rests or kick the middle console when he gets mad. My mom has to pull her chair all the way forward.

So far I've test driven the MDX, Pathfinder and Highlander (2016 models). The pilot the dealer had stunk so bad so I didnt test it. I also didnt like the lack of a high console between the driver and passenger. Front runner was the highlander for leg room and riding. The MDX didnt have much of rear seat legroom and my mom said it was the most bumpy ride of all 3. I didn't like the feel of the highlander leather and the passenger seat is manual. I'm wondering if I'm better off with a Lexus or Benz instead? A friend suggested an Audi Q7 but the maintenance on it has me hesitant. My RDX that I bought new has almost 60K miles and I combo of city and highway driving. I'm thinking sticking with a car with 40-60K mile range? Thoughts?
Old 05-27-2018, 05:38 PM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts
Gurl,

I traded a Highlander for my RDX only because my wife declared it too large to park comfortably. I suggest you give the Toyota another look but, assuming your budget can handle it, look for a 'Limited' model. It'll have all the comfort features including the power passenger seat you want, better leather and (ta-da) a third row your son can claim as his own. Better for you, better for your mom, better for the youngster. If you want to give the MDX another shot have someone at the dealership make sure the tires are properly inflated. If your tester was over inflated it might have affected the ride.

While shopping, look for a 3-year old lease return (there should be a few '16s returning to dealer lots about now). They'll generally be low mileage, well cared for vehicles that you can get a pretty good deal on.

Cheers!

Last edited by Gadgetjq; 05-27-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gadgetjq
Gurl,

I traded a Highlander for my RDX only because my wife declared it too large to park comfortably. I suggest you give the Toyota another look but, assuming your budget can handle it, look for a 'Limited' model. It'll have all the comfort features including the power passenger seat you want, better leather and (ta-da) a third row your son can claim as his own. Better for you, better for your mom, better for the youngster. If you want to give the MDX another shot have someone at the dealership make sure the tires are properly inflated. If your tester was over inflated it might have affected the ride.

While shopping, look for a 3-year old lease return (there should be a few '16s returning to dealer lots about now). They'll generally be low mileage, well cared for vehicles that you can get a pretty good deal on.

Cheers!
Gadgetjq- thanks for your reply! I didn't know the limited would have those extra features. I just looked in my area and the cheapest limited I could see were 2012 with almost/over 100K miles for a little less than $20K then a 2015 with 23k miles for $35K. That's a little too rich for my budget... I'd like to stay within $25K. The MDX is out because the rear legroom felt as tight as the RDX even with sliding the second row all the way to the back. There is a 2014 tech with 57k miles that the dealer said they are listing for $29K... that's too high for the car.

I suppose I'll hang tight and wait to see if a highlander within my budget with not more than 60K miles becomes available. I'll go test drive a limited to see how I like it. It's pretty much the only car on my list right now. My brother suggested an Audi Q7 but the maintenance on it rules it out. Maybe a Lexus might be a better option but I'm set on the highlander.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:02 AM
Advanced

...found a 2014 limited platinum for $27K with 80K miles... its the color combo I want (grey on black. Is that too much? And would it make sense to trade a 2015 RDX with 59K miles for an "older" high mileage car with all the bells and whistles? It's not like the three of use are going to live in the car. I kinda wish I had bought a tech RDX so shooting for a fully loaded car....
Old 05-28-2018, 07:32 AM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by GurlRDX
...found a 2014 limited platinum for $27K with 80K miles... its the color combo I want (grey on black. Is that too much? And would it make sense to trade a 2015 RDX with 59K miles for an "older" high mileage car with all the bells and whistles? It's not like the three of use are going to live in the car. I kinda wish I had bought a tech RDX so shooting for a fully loaded car....
Checking Kelly Blue Book ( kbb.com ) the 2014 platinum limited at a dealership shows a 'fair purchase price' of $28,305. Private party 26,336. That's for my ZIP code, it may be different wherever you live. 80k miles for a 2014 seems high. It should be closer to 50k but it's nothing to worry about with a Toyota and can be used to bargain the price down a bit. If you collect the VIN number any Toyota dealer can show you the maintenance record, at least if it's all been done by a dealership.

Is it worth it? Only you can answer that but the RDX no longer fits your needs. The only alternative is to find something you like that does. BTW, the Highlander burns regular (87 on the pump) fuel so you wouldn't have to angst over the cost of pumping premium into the tank anymore.

Cheers!
Old 05-28-2018, 08:32 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gadgetjq
Checking Kelly Blue Book ( kbb.com ) the 2014 platinum limited at a dealership shows a 'fair purchase price' of $28,305. Private party 26,336. That's for my ZIP code, it may be different wherever you live. 80k miles for a 2014 seems high. It should be closer to 50k but it's nothing to worry about with a Toyota and can be used to bargain the price down a bit. If you collect the VIN number any Toyota dealer can show you the maintenance record, at least if it's all been done by a dealership.

Is it worth it? Only you can answer that but the RDX no longer fits your needs. The only alternative is to find something you like that does. BTW, the Highlander burns regular (87 on the pump) fuel so you wouldn't have to angst over the cost of pumping premium into the tank anymore.

Cheers!
It's about the same for my zip code. It's a Carmax listing so the price is final. I will test drive it to see how it compares to the MDX. Another thing I didn't like about the XLE I test drove was the second row captain seats. Also wondering about buying a CPO vs as is. Am really hoping to like the 2014 tech MDX trade in that the Acura dealer told me they are expecting soon. But yes, I don't think it's any use holding on t a car that beens outgrown, and especially since my son keeps shooting up the way he is.