Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 11:25 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission issues

I searched but didn't find what I was looking for. We have a 2013 AWD W/Tech (87k Miles) and the transmission is jumping all over the place. In drive and sport it will flash the gear number. I see drops of 5 to 2 some time 6 to 4 and so on with a rpm change when it happens. In sport manual it will drop from down to m1 with no rpm change then move up to m3 or m4 sometimes I will notice a shift other time I wont.t No codes are registered and dealer just wants to replace the transmission with a $6k price tag.

Hoping some one has seen this behavior before. My plan is to try a 3x3 flush as dealer said the fluid is brown and then maybe replace the oil pressure sensors.

Any direction or advice is appreciated. Thank you
Old 07-13-2018, 02:48 PM
Just some f'in guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Preface: Just a shot in the dark here and I'm probably wrong but it's something I'd look into and I could be wildly wrong /preface

The wires for the transmission. I know this is an RDX thread but on my ILX, some damn squirrel chewed through some wiring and I could only go in neutral and reverse. Also didn't throw any codes. Some of those might have been rubbed bare, melted, or something. I know it's not the same problem you're having but it's something I'd check.

If it's like the ILX, take out that big black pipe and look at the side of what I'm guessing is the engine and you'll see a bunch of these wires
There's a bunch. IIRC, they all branch off the "main engine harness". I think there are a total of 7 that end up connecting to something. If you're going to take them off, make sure the car isn't running, especially considering they control shifting. Down towards the bottom is one that looks like this . Make sure those wires are good (no fraying, not loose or broken). Apparently it's some big controller for the transmission.
If it's all screwed up, the only place I could find one at a reasonable price was on Ebay. If it's got a brown connector and it's all messed up, PM me because I initially called a dealer and thought I had ordered what I have linked but instead got a "transmission solenoid wire" thing. I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping and do pictures to make sure it's the right thing.