AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G RDX (2013-2018) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/)
-   -   Time For Brakes (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/time-brakes-980256/)

Poolman 06-15-2019 01:46 PM

Time For Brakes

Just about 60k miles on the original pads and rotors. Thinking about new rotors and dustless pads. Since the original rotors are said to be lacking,,would something from 0'riellies or Auto Zone be a good bet,,or should I look else where?

jf12345 06-15-2019 03:51 PM

Original rotors lasted 25k before the RDX sounded like a school bus stopping. Fought with the dealer and got them resurfaced for free under warranty. Resurfaced, they lasted another 10k before they went back to sounding like a school bus. Ordered new rotors and brake pads from oemacuraparts.com and replaced them myself. Later found a service bulletin about my exact problem which the dealer had no idea about.... The new rotors and brakes lasted 60k and were slightly warped so this time around, I got Bosch rotors and pads. The pads were about the same price as OEM and the rotors were half the price. Had the bosch now for 30k and I am just now noticing slight shaking in the steering wheel when braking. With my RSX, I could swap brake pads 3 times before I needed new rotors but with the RDX, everytime I do brakes, I need rotors too so my advice would be to pay half the price of OEM and get the bosch rotors. For the pads, bosch or oem works fine.

jjrphs 06-15-2019 08:15 PM

I've had good results with both Bosch and Centric rotors. I've went with Bosch rotors from O'Reilly the last couple times because O'Reilly is just down the street, have a 2yr warranty and Bosch QuietCast rotors have the full coverage (zinc?) coating for corrosion prevention...not just on the hats. I'm also using O'Reilly's best house brand pads as they have a true lifetime warranty and O'Reilly will replace the pads even due to wear...not just pad material cracking or other defect. So far so good....

Poolman 06-17-2019 10:17 AM

Thanks for the input. Belive I'll be headed to the O'Reilly's for the parts to make the change

losiglow 06-17-2019 11:51 AM

Careful on O'Reilly though. If the wear is uneven at all, they'll deny the warranty. This may be on a per-store basis but last time I brought in pads from my '09 Pilot they denied my warranty because of slightly uneven wear. We're not talking one pad being completely worn out and the other with half it's pad left. We're talking one worn out while the other had maybe 1-2mm left.

Autozone on the other hand, never had a problem. And most guys agree the Autozone Gold pads are the best, assuming you're not going high-performance aftermarket like Hawk or EBC.

jjrphs 06-17-2019 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by losiglow (Post 16440876)
Careful on O'Reilly though. If the wear is uneven at all, they'll deny the warranty. This may be on a per-store basis but last time I brought in pads from my '09 Pilot they denied my warranty because of slightly uneven wear. We're not talking one pad being completely worn out and the other with half it's pad left. We're talking one worn out while the other had maybe 1-2mm left.

This hasn't been my experience...you are correct that it may be store to store on how the personnel handle / interpret the lifetime warranty.

tinmaner 06-17-2019 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by jf12345 (Post 16440427)
Original rotors lasted 25k before the RDX sounded like a school bus stopping. Fought with the dealer and got them resurfaced for free under warranty. Resurfaced, they lasted another 10k before they went back to sounding like a school bus. Ordered new rotors and brake pads from oemacuraparts.com and replaced them myself. Later found a service bulletin about my exact problem which the dealer had no idea about.... The new rotors and brakes lasted 60k and were slightly warped so this time around, I got Bosch rotors and pads. The pads were about the same price as OEM and the rotors were half the price. Had the bosch now for 30k and I am just now noticing slight shaking in the steering wheel when braking. With my RSX, I could swap brake pads 3 times before I needed new rotors but with the RDX, everytime I do brakes, I need rotors too so my advice would be to pay half the price of OEM and get the bosch rotors. For the pads, bosch or oem works fine.

by the school bus stopping do you mean when you brake hard the car would stop but makes a very unappealing, not grinding but creaking noise ?