Talk me into or out of an RDX

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 06:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Nates NJTL
My guess is that with the new Subaru Ascent SUV, they will start to put turbo engines into their other models. To your point, the Outback engine options are antiquated. Keep in mind, Subaru is a relatively small company. If you take a look at Honda, their 1.5 L turbo is in the CRV, Accord and I believe several Civic models. The R&D to develop that engine will be spread out over several high volume brands. It will be interesting to see if Subaru can remain an independent company. With the hybrid and electric assault only going to grow, the company may not have the resources to remain independent or they will need to develop some strategic sourcing relationships to do so. The service departments in their dealer network are also overwhelmed these days with all the growth in new car sales. If the Ascent underperforms, don't be surprised if it marks Subaru's peak unit volume in the US for a while. I think they may be nearing their peak volume in '17 or '18.
I have no doubt that the Outback will get the new 2.4T, but it seems logical to assume they won't make the change until the Outback moves to the modular platform in a couple years.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
I have no doubt that the Outback will get the new 2.4T, but it seems logical to assume they won't make the change until the Outback moves to the modular platform in a couple years.
Rod have you had a chance to look at the new MKX (Nautilus) yet? I’m curious to see your opinion because like me you like the current model so I’m curious of what you think of the new one.
The following users liked this post:
HotRodW (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 07:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RDX10
Rod have you had a chance to look at the new MKX (Nautilus) yet? I’m curious to see your opinion because like me you like the current model so I’m curious of what you think of the new one.
I have, and I think it looks great. I was hoping for a few more interior changes, but I'm quite impressed with how cleanly they integrated the new grille. The new 8-speed gearbox should improve both performance and fuel efficiency. The former was competent before, but the latter was definitely lagging behind the competition. The Black Label interiors were a nice upgrade previously, but I'm really digging the new "Gala" red leather option. I'm expecting the new Edge Sport to debut soon -- probably NAIS Detroit or Chicago. We'll see what kind of improvements Ford offers. My local Kia dealership is getting their first Stinger GT in two weeks, and the Regal GS shouldn't be far behind. Right now those are the four leading candidates to replace my Touareg. I've ruled out the MDX Sport Hybrid, but I'll still consider the RDX if Acura finds a way to impress me. Right now my heart says Stinger, but my head is telling me the cargo capacity is just a tad tight for my work gear.

So what do you think of the Nautilus?

RDX10 (12-31-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 08:23 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by financedude
I like Subies but the Outback is pretty under-powered. They really need to up the HP on that model, maybe a turbo or something? If you upgrade to the V-6, you get a lot of power, but really bad gas mileage, and the car gets really expensive fast. They have awesome AWD and are very reliable, albeit somewhat noisy inside...
Don't think anyone considering the RDX is considering anything other than the 6cyl on the Outback. And, it's not noisy. 2017 got some insulated glass and more insulation in general. 2018 even more so. Gas mileage isn't any worse than the RDX. I've been averaging 24 with a mix of highway and city. Don't really call that horrible. And I paid $31k for my used 2017 Touring which is the same price or slightly less than you can get a 2017 RDX w/Tech package. You also get more safety features as Eyesight gives you all the safety features and doesn't force you into the Advance PKG to get it. The only company that did safety worse is VW with the Alltrack by taking away blind spot and cross traffic. It's in the sport wagon, but they removed it for the AWD Alltrack. Even dumber is they charged a premium at $36k for a fully loaded one. Funnier was I could've gotten it for $27k new. But for all the driving I do, I didn't want to get a new car without blind spot and cross traffic. I will say it wipes the floor with both the RDX and Outback for its drive. It was almost as fun as driving a GTI. And it also crushed them both in gas mileage dipping into the low 30's. Cargo storage was on par with the RDX and behind the Outback. I would have gone that route if it had the extra safety features, and if I didn't need the extra cargo capacity. For $27k it's a steal, and I'd have no problem putting 100k on it and then trading it in to hopefully a newly redesigned RDX. But I'll be in the subie for a bit longer probably. Who knows. Had my MDX for 11yrs and 200k miles.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:50 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
"will say it wipes the floor with both the RDX and Outback for its drive"

so why are you still on a RDX board, besides bragging
Old 12-06-2017, 01:28 AM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
Lol. Subaru isn’t even in the same class....no one gives it a second look unless it’s a wrx sti. Everything else from Subaru Is boring weak sauce. Subarus are boring plain Jane cars with just utility going for them.

2018 outback

a 3.6L V6 only pushing out 256HP / 247lb=ft
Old 12-06-2017, 04:52 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Acura604
Lol. Subaru isn’t even in the same class....no one gives it a second look unless it’s a wrx sti. Everything else from Subaru Is boring weak sauce. Subarus are boring plain Jane cars with just utility going for them.

2018 outback

a 3.6L V6 only pushing out 256HP / 247lb=ft
they don't have a V-6
Old 12-06-2017, 05:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by srpuywa
they don't have a V-6
Probably just means H6 but the point’s well taken. While they make solid vehicles, their offerings are fairly pedestrian to the exclusion of models such as the WRX.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:18 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
Probably just means H6 but the point’s well taken. While they make solid vehicles, their offerings are fairly pedestrian to the exclusion of models such as the WRX.
I would say the Forester XT is a pretty decent ride as well. I also disagree about the Outback being noisy and not comparable to the RDX. Of course it is lower in stature, but it has plenty of cargo space - as shown in the photos. Sure the RDX has a V6 for now(in its ancient 2013 design spec) but this will almost certainly be gone with a 2.0T in the engine bay next time around. Subaru makes very solid cars with an awesome AWD system.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:33 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dbpaddler
Had my MDX for 11yrs and 200k miles.
No love for the MDx after that?
Old 12-06-2017, 08:33 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by chickdr
I would say the Forester XT is a pretty decent ride as well. I also disagree about the Outback being noisy and not comparable to the RDX. Of course it is lower in stature, but it has plenty of cargo space - as shown in the photos. Sure the RDX has a V6 for now(in its ancient 2013 design spec) but this will almost certainly be gone with a 2.0T in the engine bay next time around. Subaru makes very solid cars with an awesome AWD system.
All Subies need a Turbo option. Didn;t they have more turbo offerings years ago?
Old 12-06-2017, 09:00 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by financedude
All Subies need a Turbo option. Didn;t they have more turbo offerings years ago?
If anything there are more now than before. Also the new 2.0T's are stronger than past units.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
When I was shopping vehicles to replace my RDX, the Subaru Outback was on my short list, largely because of the symmetrical AWD system. I drove both a 4cyl Outback Touring and a 6cyl Outback Touring. Both were nice - and the performance of the 3.6R Outback was similar to the RDX was. But the refinement was definitely less than the RDX, and just the quality feel wasn't there. I moved from Honda to Acura because (in my view) the feel, refinement, and quietness was improved when moving from H to A. The Subaru was more comparable to the Honda, if not just a tad below the H in my subjective comparison. As such, the quandary between the "better" RDX (with a worse AWD system) and the "less better" Outback (with a better AWD system) had me expand my search, resulting in a higher price point than I'd originally targeted - and as such went with the MDX. But that's just my story...

andy
Old 12-06-2017, 05:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
If anything there are more now than before. Also the new 2.0T's are stronger than past units.
At times I have my mid-life struggles where the WRX/STI gets tempting but the return of a Legacy GT Turbo would be a sweet alternative to my TLX V6. Aside from those two, the brand as presently constituted has little appeal to me if not most.

This brings me to one of Matt Moran’s more recent clips on YouTube (re: LA Auto show), where it was indicated that Subaru is more interested in maintaining its current client base than attracting new buyers. #playingnottolose
Old 12-06-2017, 09:14 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by F23A4
At times I have my mid-life struggles where the WRX/STI gets tempting but the return of a Legacy GT Turbo would be a sweet alternative to my TLX V6. Aside from those two, the brand as presently constituted has little appeal to me if not most.

This brings me to one of Matt Moran’s more recent clips on YouTube (re: LA Auto show), where it was indicated that Subaru is more interested in maintaining its current client base than attracting new buyers. #playingnottolose
They seem to do pretty well. Extreme loyalty with the customers they have. I know my folks had two in a row in the 2000's(Outback and Forester) and loved them.
F23A4 (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 03:47 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"will say it wipes the floor with both the RDX and Outback for its drive"

so why are you still on a RDX board, besides bragging
Didn't even buy the Alltrack, yet I said it drove better than the car I bought. It's built off of the Golf platform so it drives somewhere between the Golf and the GTI. I've been on the MDXer forum for 12 years. Not a fan boy of any brand and have no probkem finding fault in even things I like or own. If people are that close minded they can't appreciate other vehicles, it's not my fault. Don't care what site this is. I talked my mom into an RLX and my sister into an RDX. Even said the RDX felt like home when I had it as a loaner for two days.

For my job, I need to value utility over luxury, and the Outback does that better with about 85 to 90% of the luxury of the RDX, and the Touring trim isn't that shabby at all right down to the Kona colored leather. The AWD is better as well. Not that the RDX would ever get me stuck.

And still hanging around here? You do automatically get email updates of threads you're subscribed to. Not like one isn't interested what others are considering and their thought rationale. Not to mention keeping up on updates over the model years as well.

I didn't consider another MDX because I wanted something smaller and more maneuverable. One of the companies I work with, I don't work with nearly as often anymore, and their product often overtook my storage even with the seats down. So my requirements aren't as grand as they once were. I will miss putting sheets of drywall inside the MDX, flat to the floor too. Don't believe you can even do that in the new ones. That was one of the selling features for me too with the house remodeling.

​​​​​​If some want to be ignorant and drink RDX Kool Aid, that's fine. I prefer to keep an open mind and actually do real research and buy to my needs. It's easy to knock what you don't know or care to learn about. V6.... Funny. 🙄
​​​​​
​​​
ARascal (12-14-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 04:12 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
They seem to do pretty well. Extreme loyalty with the customers they have. I know my folks had two in a row in the 2000's(Outback and Forester) and loved them.

Subaru has had a strong growth run with what, 6 straight years of month over month sales growth or something like this. One thing they struggled terribly with it US manufacturing capacity and they fiercely resisted adding another plant. As a smaller auto manufacturer, they simply don't have the margin of error the bigger players do. Once they stopped the contract manufacturing of the Camry at their sole US plant, it freed up capacity. We are at peak volume and the execs at Subaru know it. Many of the dealers service departments are maxed out so keeping their existing base happy seems like a safe strategy. They did up capacity at the IN plant by like 140k units. Wait until we seem more lease vehicles come back in '18, residuals will start to drop driving up the cost of new leases (growth in used leases already). Interest rates will also be higher in '18. Some think smaller players can't remain independent and if Subie needs to be sold, a company running optimal production capacity will fetch a much better price.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:47 AM
Advanced

we've had/have several subarus - 2000 outback wagon, 2015 Impreza and now a 2017 Forester. They are pretty reliable but little cheezy on the interiors. My 16 Tundra and wife's 17 RDX are much nicer vehicles.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:09 PM
Advanced

we've had/have several subarus - 2000 outback wagon, 2015 Impreza and now a 2017 Forester. They are pretty reliable but little cheezy on the interiors. My 16 Tundra and wife's 17 RDX are much nicer vehicles.
My wife had a 1984 GL-10, manual. Digital dash, the whole 9 yards. She put a lot of money into it, then we sold it cheap with 120,000 miles on it and the guy we sold it to ran it up to 200,000 miles with almost no issues. It was FWD, though. I have looked at them. My younger son will need a car next year and I will be hunting around for a 6-7 year old Legacy or Forester for him, I know they are reliable.........
Old 12-31-2017, 07:26 PM
Suzuka Master

I have, and I think it looks great. I was hoping for a few more interior changes, but I'm quite impressed with how cleanly they integrated the new grille. The new 8-speed gearbox should improve both performance and fuel efficiency. The former was competent before, but the latter was definitely lagging behind the competition. The Black Label interiors were a nice upgrade previously, but I'm really digging the new "Gala" red leather option. I'm expecting the new Edge Sport to debut soon -- probably NAIS Detroit or Chicago. We'll see what kind of improvements Ford offers. My local Kia dealership is getting their first Stinger GT in two weeks, and the Regal GS shouldn't be far behind. Right now those are the four leading candidates to replace my Touareg. I've ruled out the MDX Sport Hybrid, but I'll still consider the RDX if Acura finds a way to impress me. Right now my heart says Stinger, but my head is telling me the cargo capacity is just a tad tight for my work gear.

So what do you think of the Nautilus?
I have to say I find it very interesting that you are considering a stinger and to me that really is a testament to how far Kia has come. I would personally take a stinger over the regal just based on drivetrain alone. Now in terms of the Nautilus, I really like what they did with it and I think the 8 speed was very way overdo. I am curious to see what it does for the 0-60 times because while they were not bad before, they were disappointing for 380 lb/ft. My one other disappointment is that it still has the slip and grip AWD system as opposed to the SH-AWD like system from the continental and MKZ but then again not shocked because it’s supposed to be a mild refresh and the 8 speed change is already pretty big for an MMC. In terms of styling, from some angles I love it and from others I’m not sure which is odd because I really like the look on other lincoln models. I am excited to see what they do with the MKC and fingers crossed they also give it an 8 speed because many mainstream vehicles now have 7, 8, 9 and 10!! speed transmissions as well so it’s time to fix that.
HotRodW (01-01-2018)
Old 12-31-2017, 09:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Lincoln isn’t advertising it, but the updated MKC will keep the current 6-speed — probably because the refreshed model won’t be around long. An all new MKC replacement, wearing an actual name badge, is expected for MY 2020, while the Nautilus won’t be replaced until 2022.
RDX10 (01-01-2018)
Old 12-31-2017, 10:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Lincoln isn’t advertising it, but the updated MKC will keep the current 6-speed — probably because the refreshed model won’t be around long. An all new MKC replacement, wearing an actual name badge, is expected for MY 2020, while the Nautilus won’t be replaced until 2022.
That’s too bad, I mean at least it has the 2.3T which is a beautiful engine for it. I am excited to see the styling updates as I already think it’s very attractive so will look amazing very soon.