Talk me into or out of an RDX

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 08:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by dbpaddler
I'm having a hard time deciding between the RDX and the Subaru Outback 3.6. Would get them both used, 2017, Touring and Tech so fairly comparable. Can probably throw in the Forester XT Touring as well. I've driven the RDX a bunch of times as my sister has a 14. Test drove the 17 over the weekend. Have yet to drive either Subaru. Like the extra space in the Outback as well as it's a 6cyl as well. The Forester also has more cargo space than the RDX. Can tune it as well for a little more HP and MPG. The RDX is a little more plush, but in a nicer way than say the CRV which just seems like a minivan. The Subies have better AWD, and I work in operating rooms all over and have had to dig out my driveway with 3ft of snow and get my MDX going because docs were operating. And now I get to do that to hospitals two hours away. So the Subarus give me a little more piece of mind. But my 06" MDX never left me wanting to get anywhere in the snow. Quite torn.

Trying to rule out the CRV, Tucson and CX5 which going with the Forester would be an easy choice then if I was to deal with a turbo 4.

The RDX wins in the overall ride (from what I've read) and the interior (but not by much from what I've seen so far). The design is more subdued. Drove well. Very competent and quick enough. When the warranty is up I'd switch over to Honda for servicing as the service department at my local acura dealer is filled with pompous assholes. Got tired real quick of their condescending attitudes dand BS answer when I dealt with recall issues and they act appalled I wasn't letting them do every single little service or fix they wanted to perform.

And I do like the RDX in the black and tan config. Can pick up a 2017 w/Tech and under 10k mi for $32k. Though they did give me the lowest trade in val for my 06 MDX. Other dealers were valuing it about another $500 less. Guess Acura doesn't do any sort of loyalty bonus unless you're using their financial services.
I've driven the '16 Outback 3.6R, then the new loaded '18 model just a few weeks ago. I liked it far better than the new Tiguan I sampled just prior, but I didn't love it. It rides well, but I think it should handle better. The new model is quieter, and there's lots of tech (but no ventilated seat option?) One criticism I have of all newer Subarus is the overly jumpy throttle. It makes them feel quicker than they are in stop-and-go driving, but it's difficult to modulate so the cars don't lurch. It's too bad because the Outback is otherwise a compelling package.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:28 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
good review of 2016-2018

https://www.edmunds.com/acura/rdx/2017/review/

pros
  • Strong acceleration and fuel economy from standard V6 engine
  • Elevated rear seat provides generous legroom and a commanding view
  • More features than competitors at a similar or much lower price
  • Generous cargo capacity for the segment
cons
  • Technology interface can be distracting to use, especially the optional dual-screen system
  • High-tech safety features and adaptive cruise control don't work as well as some rival systems
  • Cabin lacks overtly luxurious look and feel
Old 11-09-2017, 06:54 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by andysinnh
While I ended up moving to my MDX about a month ago, my other comparison was my (then) current RDX vs an Outback 3.6R. My reason for looking at the Subaru was the AWD system. I liked a lot about the RDX but the AWD system in my '15 left me frustrated in NH winters. I know the '16-'18 RDX's got better - but nowhere near where the Subaru's symmetrical AWD is in terms of winter traction. The Subaru was nice and had lots of features, and tons of pickup. But it was much more "utilitarian" than the RDX. More road noise, less solid feel when driving, and just not as "nice" inside as the RDX was. So while the Subaru ticked off the AWD solution, it fell behind all the others. So if you don't need the better AWD traction, I'd stick with the RDX, as my '15 was pretty much bullet-proof for the 32 months I leased it.

I ended up with an MDX Tech lease because I was spoiled - I wanted the AWD improvement AND the luxury feel/features that the RDX had exposed me to. It's obviously more money to either buy or lease, but it checked off all my boxes - and I'm happy I made the move.

andy
Thanks Andy. Well I'll get a better comparison this weekend. Getting the airbag recall taken care of on my MDX and will have an RDX loaner for a day and a half. Will load up some work boxes and instruments and drive off to a Subie dealer that has the 17 Outback I'm looking at. Dealer is off of a highway so I'll be able to get a good idea of the cabin noise. I know the 18 is supposed to be quieter and more refined from a noise and driving point of view. Would prefer to spend in the low 30's than high though, hence I was looking at the 17's. 17 RDX w/tech and the Outback Touring seem to be priced similarly. Though Acura annoys me with how they give you safety features. You get a couple in the tech and then the others in the advance. Just a cheap way to get people to spend more when other people seem to to blind spot and cross traffic as standard then have a package for all the others. Not piecemeal them. And it still annoys me they don't have auto turn in side mirrors when even a few mainstream cars have them. I was annoyed in 06 when I didn't have the switchblade key fob when everyone else seemed to including some Hondas I believe. Just stupid nickel and dime things.

Cargo capacity also matters as I haul around product and instruments for work (medical sales), but not as much as I used to so I want to downsize from my MDX.

For the 18 Outback:
Subaru also made some refinements to the Outback’s chassis and suspension, tuning it to offer a smoother ride and better brake and steering response and feel and fitted it with a revised electric power steering system that provides a “more linear response to driver input.” Subaru also made the Outback quieter with a new chain for its Lineartronic CVT, some adjustments to the engine timing to “reduce powertrain noise,” and reshaped exterior mirrors to help reduce wind noise. Going further, the Outback also receives new sound-insulating glass for the front side windows.
Thanks again.

Last edited by dbpaddler; 11-09-2017 at 06:57 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:28 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Just curious if anyone who purchased an RDX had considered an Infiniti QX-50 too? I came across a 2016 "journey" edition with low miles and certified for about the same price as a 2015 non-certified AWD RDX with Tech. The certification on the Infiniti means I would have full warranty until 2022, regardless of mileage so it looks tempting.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by bugsnest
Just curious if anyone who purchased an RDX had considered an Infiniti QX-50 too?
It was one of the 5 or so cars I test drove. Got talked into the drive by the salesman even though I wasn't all that interested.
(Porsche Macan, BMW 328d Touring, BMW X3, Infinity QX50, Lexus NX200 that I can remember)

I just didn't like it for various reasons. The RDX won.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:10 AM
10th Gear

Also looks like the qx50 gets closer to mid size fuel economy than compact.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:53 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by bugsnest
Just curious if anyone who purchased an RDX had considered an Infiniti QX-50 too? I came across a 2016 "journey" edition with low miles and certified for about the same price as a 2015 non-certified AWD RDX with Tech. The certification on the Infiniti means I would have full warranty until 2022, regardless of mileage so it looks tempting.
As I mentioned a couple of posts back- I loved the QX50. The drive blows the RDX away if you want a more performance oriented feel. Of course this comes at the expense of the normal elevated SUV driving position and cargo space. The engine/transmission are superior to the RDX IMHO, but fuel economy isn't great.... Back seat is surprisingly roomy. Tech is way behind as the design is at the end of its lifespan(like the RDX). No ventilated seats available.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:43 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The wife and I drove another '15 RDX and a '14 RX-350 this weekend. I thought she'd decided on the RDX, but now it sounds like she enjoyed the more luxurious feel of the Lexus. It may come down to which we find first in what we want (Nav, light interior, not black or white exterior). We'll see. I don't think we'd have the opportunity to buy anything for a couple of weeks anyway.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:08 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I spent the better part of my weekend reading forums like these, watching videos on car reviews and test driving a few cars. I'm so tired!

My options-
1) RDX with Tech Circa 2014/15 (not much difference in either year)
2) QX-50 AWD with premium options. 2016 (since the wheelbase had changed)
3) Lexus 350 2014 or later.

Didnt test drive the Lexus. I got bored just looking at the base models and the one I liked (F sport) was way out of my price range.

The QX-50 was the most fun but the engine was coarse and unrefined. Sounded terrible!

Ended up finding a great deal on a 2016 RDX FWD with tech. Has the new design with the LEDs and the dual screens etc.

At the end I went for value. I know the Acuras last as long as the Lexus and are more fun of the 2. And a lot cheaper! The Infiniti, while really fun to drive, has a spotty record in terms of reliability. Good luck!
Old 11-16-2017, 10:42 AM
Cruisin'

Well, the wife found a 2015 Tech in Burgundy with Parchment interior, which is pretty much her ideal. The Carfax shows one owner(leased in Wisconsin) but it was sold at auction in Illinois. Now it's being sold in the KC area. Do I need to be concerned about this particular car?
Old 11-16-2017, 11:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by ESUguy
Well, the wife found a 2015 Tech in Burgundy with Parchment interior, which is pretty much her ideal. The Carfax shows one owner(leased in Wisconsin) but it was sold at auction in Illinois. Now it's being sold in the KC area. Do I need to be concerned about this particular car?
Not necessarily - our local dealer has a blend of direct lease turn-ins and also auction-bought vehicles from various locations. I think the key is to look at the Carfax to see if it shows any regular maintenance and any excessive dealer visits (like for one particular problem area). Is this an Acura-dealer you're looking at, or just a local used car lot? An Acura dealer taking it in will likely CPO it and make sure it's solid before taking it on.....

andy
Old 11-16-2017, 12:49 PM
Cruisin'

Not necessarily - our local dealer has a blend of direct lease turn-ins and also auction-bought vehicles from various locations. I think the key is to look at the Carfax to see if it shows any regular maintenance and any excessive dealer visits (like for one particular problem area). Is this an Acura-dealer you're looking at, or just a local used car lot? An Acura dealer taking it in will likely CPO it and make sure it's solid before taking it on.....

andy
It had regular service, but has also had the front and rear brakes done for some reason. The car is currently at a reputable Honda dealership.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:23 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Depends on mileage and how the car was used. My son is about to have the brakes done on our old ‘13 RDX at around 45K miles, of which we put on a lot of highway miles when we had it.

As to auctions, my old ‘15 TLX languishes at a Honda dealer in Ardmore OK, asking less than the residual price I would have had to pay to buy it. Acura Financial took a hit on that one. No I don’t want to buy it back for less than that - it’s too low for our aging hips.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:32 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My wife and I drove the RDX when we were out looking for a new SUV for her. Neither one of us liked the RDX ride. My wife fit in it fine because she is short, but I am 6' 2" and I was really cramped. And they are pretty pricey. I still would take it over Subaru Outback, I have NEVER seen so many "loaded" Outbacks with CLOTH seats, yikes! Several $32,000+ Subies with CLOTH, heated or not, that's not right!!!
Old 11-16-2017, 01:32 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CanTex
Depends on mileage and how the car was used. My son is about to have the brakes done on our old ‘13 RDX at around 45K miles, of which we put on a lot of highway miles when we had it.

As to auctions, my old ‘15 TLX languishes at a Honda dealer in Ardmore OK, asking less than the residual price I would have had to pay to buy it. Acura Financial took a hit on that one. No I don’t want to buy it back for less than that - it’s too low for our aging hips.
​​​​​​
The car only has about 25k miles, which is why it caught my attention. I don't think too much damage could have been done by driving it for just a couple of years. I'm guessing I was someone hat didn't know how to drive.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:40 PM
Advanced

andy
Not at all would I be concerned. My favorite used cars to buy are off lease. In general, leased cars are better taken care of often than financed cars, here's why: Dealer have to submit a "condition report" when the car is turned back into the dealer. A rep looks over the vehicle and details any dings, dents, worn tires, etc, and the customer is liable for fixing it if they don;t take care of it. So there is a definite reason to keep them nice, and do the maintenance. Leased to an OWNER is the best, Enterprise cars are often listed as "corporate leases", have to do your homework, I would never buy a rental agency car..........
Old 11-16-2017, 03:11 PM
Burning Brakes

It had regular service, but has also had the front and rear brakes done for some reason. The car is currently at a reputable Honda dealership.
The RDX had a TSB about squealing brakes that resulted in replacement of front rotors/pads, and I had that done on my '15 RDX at about 18K miles - so brake service might very well have been that. From what you said it sounds like a solid car - I'd give it a look. I really liked our '15 RDX when I had it - but was (for me) disappointed in the AWD so went the MDX route (for that and because I needed a bit more size than the RDX gave me).

Good luck - andy
Old 11-16-2017, 03:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by financedude
Not at all would I be concerned. My favorite used cars to buy are off lease. In general, leased cars are better taken care of often than financed cars, here's why: Dealer have to submit a "condition report" when the car is turned back into the dealer. A rep looks over the vehicle and details any dings, dents, worn tires, etc, and the customer is liable for fixing it if they don;t take care of it. So there is a definite reason to keep them nice, and do the maintenance. Leased to an OWNER is the best, Enterprise cars are often listed as "corporate leases", have to do your homework, I would never buy a rental agency car..........
I agree....
Old 11-16-2017, 05:15 PM
Cruisin'

Taking a half day from work tomorrow to check it out. Hopefully all is good.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:21 AM
3rd Gear

Good luck.

My family has bought 5 Acura RDX's (that I know of...) and every one has been rock solid.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:38 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Plantman4
My 2014 RDX w/Technology has 24,000 miles but it still suffers from the transmission shudder/judder (started ~ $18,000 miles). Even after three repeat visits to have the transmission fluid exchanged 3-times and two software updates it still shifts badly. Based on two visits to the dealer to obtain a transmission shifting snapshot, the mechanic, who is very good, tell me that the shudder is not extreme enough to justify Acura doing anything to retify the problem, So I live with it. We have owned 6 Hondas since 1990 and never had any problems. The Acuras are plagued with quality issues, especially the transmissions (serious problem with new MDX). A "premium brand" should not have these issues. I feel robbed. Sad situation as I actually love my RDX. Acura can't seem to get it completely right. Sorry just venting. I would like to know how mnay RDX owners have the transiion shudder/judder and have decided to live with it? While trying to get this problem fixed, I got to drive three 2017 RDX loaners. None of them had the problem, However they only ~3,000 mile son them.

I'm dealing with the same issue! Bought my 2014 RDX FWD Tech package used this past June with 30K miles on it. I felt the jerkiness during the test drive but just knew Acura would fix it. There's no fix. Supposed to be working on something but I'm not too hopeful. Recommend you test drive it in the morning when it's "cold!"
Old 11-26-2017, 06:52 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Paige Hudson
I'm dealing with the same issue! Bought my 2014 RDX FWD Tech package used this past June with 30K miles on it. I felt the jerkiness during the test drive but just knew Acura would fix it. There's no fix. Supposed to be working on something but I'm not too hopeful. Recommend you test drive it in the morning when it's "cold!"
Yes, this is the annoying thing. When cold my transmission is terrible. After a highway drive, it seems to settle down, but still has moments when downshifting at times.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did Acura tell you recently that there is no specific fix for this problem?
Old 11-26-2017, 09:16 AM
Burning Brakes

There's no fix.
If this is a problem, there is a fix. It is called a redesign. And if the problem is widespread, its called a class action lawsuit.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:53 AM
Intermediate

Smile

Originally Posted by Tech
If this is a problem, there is a fix. It is called a redesign. And if the problem is widespread, its called a class action lawsuit.
I understand that. The question is" Did Acura fix it or simply stayed with the TSB tranny fluid flush and software update to decrease the shudder and avoided a real fix? As I have mentioned, I like the RDX excepts its judder.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:13 AM
3rd Gear

I understand that. The question is" Did Acura fix it or simply stayed with the TSB tranny fluid flush and software update to decrease the shudder and avoided a real fix? As I have mentioned, I like the RDX excepts its judder.
The last time I took it in (after still feeling it after 2 transmission fluid flushes and the software update) they said they couldn't replicate it. I left frustrated and called the service manager at a different dealership that I know and asked if what I was experiencing was a known issue. He said yes and that he hated to say it but I would need to be patient if I wanted to keep the car. Apparently they are working on an additional fix but no timeline. From reading other forums/review (http://escapingthemidwest.com/new-acura-small-problem/) there are other people experiencing this. I've owned Honda/Acura my entire life and this car has been such a disappointment.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Companies are interested in one thing, profits. So they will take the cheapest route. Denial is another corporate word.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:48 AM
Intermediate

Yeah! If Acura is still looking for a permanent fix, I suspect the 2018 RDX will suffer from the same transmission defect. Not encouraging. Thank you ZF Friedrichshafen! That's what you get when you outsource
Old 11-26-2017, 10:48 AM
Burning Brakes

The last time I took it in (after still feeling it after 2 transmission fluid flushes and the software update) they said they couldn't replicate it. I left frustrated and called the service manager at a different dealership that I know and asked if what I was experiencing was a known issue. He said yes and that he hated to say it but I would need to be patient if I wanted to keep the car. Apparently they are working on an additional fix but no timeline. From reading other forums/review (http://escapingthemidwest.com/new-acura-small-problem/) there are other people experiencing this. I've owned Honda/Acura my entire life and this car has been such a disappointment.
Like I mentioned in my previous post "denial" is a typical action. I am sure corporate headquarters tells dealers who in turn tell their mechanics to downplay the issue.

I read that article in your link. My RDX is my first automagic transmission in my 43 years of driving, but in any car that I have been in as a passenger or rental, I've always noticed a hardly noticeable jerk or shift between gears and especially till the ATF got warm. And this is more noticeable if the driver has a heavy foot.

I'll have to experience it in my RDX when it is -25C here this winter.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:43 PM
Cruisin'

Well, we did a thing today. Drove from KC down to Arkansas to pick up this Basque-Red/Parchment with tech. Drives great and has very few blemishes. So nice to watch the most around 28 on the way home. You'll probably see a few questions shortly. Wife thinks it feels like something she'll enjoy for years and years.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:07 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
Congrats. It' a great little suv and the sound system is mind blowing. !
Old 12-03-2017, 05:59 AM
10th Gear

Nice. There was a basque one I was eying up as well as Kona before I swung the other direction. I definitely felt at home in the loaner I had for a couple of days so I'm sure she'll take to it quick. I just ended up needing extra cargo space as work reminded me the week before my decision, filling up my cavernous MDX. So the Outback won out. There is not much in the tweener area between the compact SUV's hovering around 30 cu ft of storage and the full size ones in the high 30's. And it's funny how overall length and width are meaningless to cargo storage dimensions. Unless you go with the CRV which I couldn't bring myself to do without feeling like I was crossing over into soccer mom/mini van status. That front dash on it just killed me. And you know, because a cladded up wagon is so much more masculine... Haha.

So this is my baby for a while. And already had the back seats down and packed up. Tried packing things up in my sister's RDX and it had not gone well, which sealed the deal.

Last edited by dbpaddler; 12-03-2017 at 06:02 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:41 AM
Cruisin'

Nice. There was a basque one I was eying up as well as Kona before I swung the other direction. I definitely felt at home in the loaner I had for a couple of days so I'm sure she'll take to it quick. I just ended up needing extra cargo space as work reminded me the week before my decision, filling up my cavernous MDX. So the Outback won out. There is not much in the tweener area between the compact SUV's hovering around 30 cu ft of storage and the full size ones in the high 30's. And it's funny how overall length and width are meaningless to cargo storage dimensions. Unless you go with the CRV which I couldn't bring myself to do without feeling like I was crossing over into soccer mom/mini van status. That front dash on it just killed me. And you know, because a cladded up wagon is so much more masculine... Haha.

So this is my baby for a while. And already had the back seats down and packed up. Tried packing things up in my sister's RDX and it had not gone well, which sealed the deal.

That's a good looking Subie. I thought they'd be worth looking st, but the wife is anti-Sub for some reason.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:52 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Nice! Definitely less of a soccer-mom vehicle than the RDX. Out here in CA these are huge with grunge snowboarding crowd.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:40 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
While I ended up moving to my MDX about a month ago, my other comparison was my (then) current RDX vs an Outback 3.6R. My reason for looking at the Subaru was the AWD system. I liked a lot about the RDX but the AWD system in my '15 left me frustrated in NH winters. I know the '16-'18 RDX's got better - but nowhere near where the Subaru's symmetrical AWD is in terms of winter traction. The Subaru was nice and had lots of features, and tons of pickup. But it was much more "utilitarian" than the RDX. More road noise, less solid feel when driving, and just not as "nice" inside as the RDX was. So while the Subaru ticked off the AWD solution, it fell behind all the others. So if you don't need the better AWD traction, I'd stick with the RDX, as my '15 was pretty much bullet-proof for the 32 months I leased it.

I ended up with an MDX Tech lease because I was spoiled - I wanted the AWD improvement AND the luxury feel/features that the RDX had exposed me to. It's obviously more money to either buy or lease, but it checked off all my boxes - and I'm happy I made the move.

andy
Just curious - were you using winter tires with the RDX or all seasons?
Old 12-04-2017, 08:54 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Well, we did a thing today. Drove from KC down to Arkansas to pick up this Basque-Red/Parchment with tech. Drives great and has very few blemishes. So nice to watch the most around 28 on the way home. You'll probably see a few questions shortly. Wife thinks it feels like something she'll enjoy for years and years.

Congrats on your new ride. We have a '13 RDX and its been a great car. Make sure your rear differential fluid has been changed (supposed to be done at 15k). We have had Acuras and Hondas and been satisfied. In the market for a car now and both brands are on our short list. Subaru too. Every car has its issues but with these, even if there are flaws, the car should give you many years of good service. The weak link in all Honda and Acura products is the brake rotors as they all warp much too quickly. Run your VIN through the Acura owners website to check if you need the airbag replaced. Honda dealers tend to do good work for a lower price and most honor competitors coupons. If you prefer better coffee quality and a bit of snobbery, Acura dealers can provide that for a price of course.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:06 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nates NJTL
Congrats on your new ride. We have a '13 RDX and its been a great car. Make sure your rear differential fluid has been changed (supposed to be done at 15k). We have had Acuras and Hondas and been satisfied. In the market for a car now and both brands are on our short list. Subaru too. Every car has its issues but with these, even if there are flaws, the car should give you many years of good service. The weak link in all Honda and Acura products is the brake rotors as they all warp much too quickly. Run your VIN through the Acura owners website to check if you need the airbag replaced. Honda dealers tend to do good work for a lower price and most honor competitors coupons. If you prefer better coffee quality and a bit of snobbery, Acura dealers can provide that for a price of course.
I like Subies but the Outback is pretty under-powered. They really need to up the HP on that model, maybe a turbo or something? If you upgrade to the V-6, you get a lot of power, but really bad gas mileage, and the car gets really expensive fast. They have awesome AWD and are very reliable, albeit somewhat noisy inside...
Old 12-04-2017, 09:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mattski
Just curious - were you using winter tires with the RDX or all seasons?
I ran dedicated Nokian snow tires on separate rims on my RDX. It did pretty well with light snow traction and cornering - it just fell short with the AWD system not really putting the grip on the corner it needed to, even with the snow tires. But I may have higher expectations than others. :-)

andy
Old 12-04-2017, 04:17 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by financedude
I like Subies but the Outback is pretty under-powered. They really need to up the HP on that model, maybe a turbo or something? If you upgrade to the V-6, you get a lot of power, but really bad gas mileage, and the car gets really expensive fast. They have awesome AWD and are very reliable, albeit somewhat noisy inside...

My guess is that with the new Subaru Ascent SUV, they will start to put turbo engines into their other models. To your point, the Outback engine options are antiquated. Keep in mind, Subaru is a relatively small company. If you take a look at Honda, their 1.5 L turbo is in the CRV, Accord and I believe several Civic models. The R&D to develop that engine will be spread out over several high volume brands. It will be interesting to see if Subaru can remain an independent company. With the hybrid and electric assault only going to grow, the company may not have the resources to remain independent or they will need to develop some strategic sourcing relationships to do so. The service departments in their dealer network are also overwhelmed these days with all the growth in new car sales. If the Ascent underperforms, don't be surprised if it marks Subaru's peak unit volume in the US for a while. I think they may be nearing their peak volume in '17 or '18.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:45 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Nates NJTL
My guess is that with the new Subaru Ascent SUV, they will start to put turbo engines into their other models. To your point, the Outback engine options are antiquated. Keep in mind, Subaru is a relatively small company. If you take a look at Honda, their 1.5 L turbo is in the CRV, Accord and I believe several Civic models. The R&D to develop that engine will be spread out over several high volume brands. It will be interesting to see if Subaru can remain an independent company. With the hybrid and electric assault only going to grow, the company may not have the resources to remain independent or they will need to develop some strategic sourcing relationships to do so. The service departments in their dealer network are also overwhelmed these days with all the growth in new car sales. If the Ascent underperforms, don't be surprised if it marks Subaru's peak unit volume in the US for a while. I think they may be nearing their peak volume in '17 or '18.
Hmmm, like maybe with Toyota? They already did this with the BRZ/FRS.