Talk me into or out of an RDX

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 10:18 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talk me into or out of an RDX

My wife currently has a 2015 Ford Explorer Limited, and we're thinking of trading it in. We've decided it's bigger than we'd like, and she wants something a little quicker and more agile. We've test driven the RDX, and think she might be happy in one for the next 7-8 years. It looks like there are some good deals out there for 14's and 15's for right around the trade in price on the Explorer.

So, my question is, if you had to do it all over again, would you still get an RDX? What other smaller sport utes did you consider? Any common problems to keep in mind?
Old 11-01-2017, 04:54 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am currently driving a murano and it has been a great vehicle. I am waiting for the next gen RDX to come out and would like Apple Carplay and updated infotainment system in my next vehicle. The RDX is a bit quicker, but about the same size as the Murano. The stylin of the new Murano does not work for me, but may for others. I have owned 5 Honda’s, so reliability is a huge plus for the brand.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:54 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am currently driving a murano and it has been a great vehicle. I am waiting for the next gen RDX to come out and would like Apple Carplay and updated infotainment system in my next vehicle. The RDX is a bit quicker, but about the same size as the Murano. The stylin of the new Murano does not work for me, but may for others. I have owned 5 Honda’s, so reliability is a huge plus for the brand.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:26 AM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by ESUguy
So, my question is, if you had to do it all over again, would you still get an RDX? What other smaller sport utes did you consider? Any common problems to keep in mind?
You might want to page through this thread. You'll find a good sampling of reasons people have dumped a previous vehicle in favor of an RDX.

Cheers!
Old 11-01-2017, 09:55 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Gadgetjq
You might want to page through this thread. You'll find a good sampling of reasons people have dumped a previous vehicle in favor of an RDX.

Cheers!
Thanks, I'll read through that thread. Found one in St. Louis last night that looked like a deal but it's been sold.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:45 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
We did a flow-chart kind of thing. Either this car with this feature or RDX. Then the next choice with a certain feature or RDX. Every time it was RDX, within a reasonable price range (<$50K). We’re a three RDX family. One son has our ‘13 Tech, our other son has a ‘14 Tech, and we’ve got the ‘17 Advance, all black. The spousal unit declares it’ll be our forever choice, kind of like an age-in-place home (though there will be a new RDX every now and then).
Old 11-01-2017, 02:50 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
I would definitely say - NO . My wife said this will be her first, and last, Acura product. Too many little annoying issues as well as poor QC at the beginning. I do not think this will be a quality car over the long haul. Does it provide a lot of value for the money? Yes.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:57 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
CPO 2016-2017 or NEW 2018 before the V6 vanishes. (advance/ellite model only) WHY? the new safety features. 2013-15 don't have them.

2019 is DEFINITELY going to be a turbo 4.

of course i dont have any details on how well the new 2019 engine will run ... i personally appreciate Non Aspirated Silky Smooth J35.

Last edited by Acura604; 11-01-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:20 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by chickdr
I would definitely say - NO . My wife said this will be her first, and last, Acura product. Too many little annoying issues as well as poor QC at the beginning. I do not think this will be a quality car over the long haul. Does it provide a lot of value for the money? Yes.
What problems have you had? We had a 2006 Pilot that we've passed to my daughter, and I had a 2003 Accord and I don't remember any issues.

We're looking at 2014-15 Techs. Seems like you can get them for a good price with around 39k Miles.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:21 PM
Cruisin'

And if you don't recommend an RDX, what would you suggest we look into?
Old 11-01-2017, 07:40 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by CanTex
We did a flow-chart kind of thing. Either this car with this feature or RDX. Then the next choice with a certain feature or RDX. Every time it was RDX, within a reasonable price range (<$50K). We’re a three RDX family. One son has our ‘13 Tech, our other son has a ‘14 Tech, and we’ve got the ‘17 Advance, all black. The spousal unit declares it’ll be our forever choice, kind of like an age-in-place home (though there will be a new RDX every now and then).
I can see there being some confusion determining whos car is whose in the driveway. Of course the 2017 is different looking to a minor degree. That's why I have a blue and black one.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:20 AM
Pro

What problems have you had? We had a 2006 Pilot that we've passed to my daughter, and I had a 2003 Accord and I don't remember any issues.

We're looking at 2014-15 Techs. Seems like you can get them for a good price with around 39k Miles.
From the get go, poor body panel fitment(had to take the car to the body shop to try to fix panel gap issues), Then we had a crazy QC issue with the parking brake warning lights/buzzer not being attached which resulted in the car being driven for 50 miles with the parking brake on and destroying the system(replaced under warranty). Most of the TSB's have been an issue in our car as well(clicking steering wheel for example). The brakes have squealed almost continuously(three brake pad replacements so far with no resolution). My biggest gripe is the transmission with its lack of smoothness and jerkiness at times when downshifting. I have had the judder TSB done, but it did nothing to help the issue. The keyless open handles don't work a lot of the time and often at the worst possible times (in the rain, late at night in a dark parking lot). The seat memory randomly decides which driver to adjust to no matter which key is used. The radio is very glitchy(another TSB which needs to be done someday). All of this on a 2016 with 39k miles at this point. To me for an Acura in its 4th model year, we should not have had to deal with these kinds of issues.....

As to suggestions for alternates? I would buy the Hyundai Tuscon 1.6T Ultimate if I could go back. It had even more features than the RDX Advance for about $10k less. It's biggest deficit was the 1.6lT motor, but I am sure it would have been ok considering its an SUV. I also liked the Hyundai Santa Fe(or its cousin the KIA Sorento with its V6). The Toyota RAV4 is another good one with a 4 banger. The RDX's V6 is quite nice, but alone it wouldn't compel me to recommend the car.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:33 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
I can see there being some confusion determining whos car is whose in the driveway. Of course the 2017 is different looking to a minor degree. That's why I have a blue and black one.
Fortunately one of them lives 220 miles away and the other 20 miles away. The first clue is the extra chrome on our car, the second is the license plate number and the third clue is that ours is usually the cleanest of the three.

As to quality, our family of 3 RDXs has had zero quality issues. No issues. None.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:27 PM
Cruisin'

Well, I'm not really seeing any real alternatives. The wife wants something quicker and nicer than a Rav4 or CR-V, and we aren't really interested in the more prestigious brands (Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc).it sounds like some people have had problems, but I still think they're less likely.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 236 Posts
So, my question is, if you had to do it all over again, would you still get an RDX?
Absolutely, as in totally happy with it. Almost everything out there now is a four-cylinder turbo and I did not want a turbo in my daily driver unless its a diesel or 911.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:53 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I like my RDX, i bought it after my car was totaled. It wasnt perfect but i was able to get into it for a reasonable price. it is quick, agile compared to an explorer and i also looked at explorers. The only disadvantage for me is that its tow rating is at 1500lbs which is significantly lower than your explorer. which is 2-5k lbs. its a great long trip suv and around town driving.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:13 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Usually, Acura makes little to no changes after the MMC. The 2016-2018 RDXs will be 99% identical with the same updated MMC features and current safety tech that will take care of you for 7-8 years. If you have time to wait a year, the 2016 RDX will be around the same prices as the 15 RDX are now with a new features. Prices might drop even more once the 3rd Gen RDX hits the road as a 2019 model. I haven't heard a lot or any downsides on this forum from folks that upgraded from a 13-15 RDX into the +16 RDX. I would test drive both pre MMC 13-15 RDX and post +16 MMC tech/Adv RDXs to see it is worth the change in model years.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrgold35
usually, acura makes little to no changes after the mmc.
mmc ????
Old 11-03-2017, 09:54 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Tech
mmc ????
MMC: Mid Model Change

Acura usually rolls out the all new model first (13 RDX), makes minor tweeks with 2nd-3rd model year (14-15 RDX, fix TSB issues or add minor tech updates), and then rolls out the MMC with refresh exterior and/or interior styling, tech updates, or performance models. Once the MMC hits the road like the 2016 MMC RDX, Acura/Honda doesn't make any changes until the next Gen version is ready like whenever the 3rd Gen 2019 RDX hits the road.

Examples of this are the 2006-2008 MMC TSX, 2010-2013 MMC MDX, and 2010-2012 MMC RDX are 99% identical with min updates/changes until the next gen models rolled out. Most likely, the only differences between a 2016 RDX tech and 2018 RDX tech with the same mileage is the shorten warranty period and blue book value.

Picking a first model year after a MMC might give you the longest period of current styling, price, and tech for those that like to keep their vehicles +100,000 miles.

Last edited by mrgold35; 11-03-2017 at 09:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Tech (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 12:11 PM
6th Gear

Get an RDX! We have owned numerous Honda's and loved everyone, from civic's, crv's, accord, and pilot. The RDX has more power than the crv and living in the Sierra Nevada's you need extra power to get up the hills and for passing. Side note the crv's belong to my daughters so they need to go slower! I would search dealers for their loaner fleet. I got a 2017 RDX tech awd with 4k on it for $36k and they had 6 to choose from.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:48 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Fortunately one of them lives 220 miles away and the other 20 miles away. The first clue is the extra chrome on our car, the second is the license plate number and the third clue is that ours is usually the cleanest of the three.

As to quality, our family of 3 RDXs has had zero quality issues. No issues. None.
LOL. We have zero issues with our two as well.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:55 PM
Burning Brakes

How many miles on each of them?
Old 11-03-2017, 06:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Buy an RDX?

My 2014 RDX w/Technology has 24,000 miles but it still suffers from the transmission shudder/judder (started ~ $18,000 miles). Even after three repeat visits to have the transmission fluid exchanged 3-times and two software updates it still shifts badly. Based on two visits to the dealer to obtain a transmission shifting snapshot, the mechanic, who is very good, tell me that the shudder is not extreme enough to justify Acura doing anything to retify the problem, So I live with it. We have owned 6 Hondas since 1990 and never had any problems. The Acuras are plagued with quality issues, especially the transmissions (serious problem with new MDX). A "premium brand" should not have these issues. I feel robbed. Sad situation as I actually love my RDX. Acura can't seem to get it completely right. Sorry just venting. I would like to know how mnay RDX owners have the transiion shudder/judder and have decided to live with it? While trying to get this problem fixed, I got to drive three 2017 RDX loaners. None of them had the problem, However they only ~3,000 mile son them.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:36 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tech
How many miles on each of them?
2 at ~50K miles, ours at 13K, all well past the usual factory issues. They’ve all “settled in”. Also in the family there’s a ‘13 Odyssey with >85K miles with zero issues and an ‘11Accord with 75K miles that only had door lock activator issues.

So I have no issues buying or recommending Honda and Acura vehicles.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
My wife currently has a 2015 Ford Explorer Limited, and we're thinking of trading it in. We've decided it's bigger than we'd like, and she wants something a little quicker and more agile. We've test driven the RDX, and think she might be happy in one for the next 7-8 years. It looks like there are some good deals out there for 14's and 15's for right around the trade in price on the Explorer.
Have you driven the Edge Sport? It meets your wife's requirements, and it's a bargain for what you get. You might not even need to buy used. A Ford dealer is where you're likely to find the best trade allowance. The Sorento V6 isn't overly sporty, but it's quiet, comfortable, and all around competent. It's worth a test drive. If you can sacrifice a little refinement, the Forester XT is worth considering. You'll be shocked at how well the Forester holds its value after 8 years. If Mazda would offer the CX5 with their 2.5L turbo, it would be my recommendation, but the normally aspirated 4-cylinder lets the vehicle down.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:13 PM
Advanced

My wife had a 2013 RDX since new and this year decided she wanted something new. She ended up getting a loaded 2018 VW Tiguan, which had a sticker of around $37k. The tech in the VW is the one thing that blows away the RDX but almost everything else is better in the 5 year old RDX. Instead of trading in the RDX, I've decided to drive it and I think we'll end up keeping it for a long time. It's so reliable, rides nice, the power is amazing, etc. On a side note, the RDX is getting around 23mpg, which is the exact same she is getting with her 180hp 4 cyl. To be fair, the styling, seats, and safety features are also better in the VW but once again we're talking about a 2013/2018.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:28 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by HotRodW
Have you driven the Edge Sport? It meets your wife's requirements, and it's a bargain for what you get. You might not even need to buy used. A Ford dealer is where you're likely to find the best trade allowance. The Sorento V6 isn't overly sporty, but it's quiet, comfortable, and all around competent. It's worth a test drive. If you can sacrifice a little refinement, the Forester XT is worth considering. You'll be shocked at how well the Forester holds its value after 8 years. If Mazda would offer the CX5 with their 2.5L turbo, it would be my recommendation, but the normally aspirated 4-cylinder lets the vehicle down.

We've thought about an Edge or Escape, but part of the problem with the Explorer is the Sync system. It has no actual buttons. Even the buttons not on the screen are on a flat black piece. It's not very user friendly when driving.

We drove a CR-V and a Rav4 yesterday just to see if we liked he less expensive 4 bangers. I'm not sure it if was that particular CR-V or all CVT transmissions, but that thing was terrible. Liked the interior and feel of the Rav4, but even in Sport mode it was pretty slow.

The wife isn't interested in Subaru, and Hyundai/Kia still have the cheap stigma. Liked the Lexus RX-350, but they also get terrible gas mileage and they're a little higher priced. Not really looking at BMW or MB due to the snob factor.

Basically we've found problems with everything but the acura.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:48 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
Talking

You’ve definitely done your research..... we will wait to see your RDX photos In the photo gallery.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 874 Likes on 669 Posts
Here is my take on it. The Explorer (to me) feels like a more premium vehicle than the RDX. The Limited Explorer particularly is fairly loaded and the RDX (ESPECIALLY the 2013-2015 models) is really subpar in a lot of areas to me. The earlier (2015 and under) models really only had leather, power heated seats, a sunroof, navi with backup camera, and power lift gate. That is effectively all you are getting. I’ve driven numerous RDX’s and I have always been taken aback with how poorly they handle and how cheap they feel.

If your wife does not care about features and options, then by all means go for it. But I would not want to buy a 2013-2015 car that has technology equivalent of 2003 vehicles with a crappy graphics display and user interface for the navi system. Grainy camera and engine that effectively dates back to the mid 90’s with some minor revisions. Furthermore the RDX has a garbage AWD system (only sends 25% of the power to the rear, what’s the point?).

There has been a handful of minor annoyances such as VCM vibrations, transmission rough shifting, rattles, and noisy rear shocks but nothing really major. I’m trying to not force my opinion on you because some people don’t care about features and don’t care about frilly stuff so if you want something simple (yet extremely dated) then the RDX is your car. Go take a look at the new XC60 (absolutely blows the RDX out iof the water), though more expensive, and the Lincoln MKC/X are very very nice alternatives with very good technology.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:35 AM
Racer

My son rented an Edge this summer, and he concludes it’s “nice” (damn it with faint praise) and has a huge cargo area, but he much prefers his ‘13 RDX. I drove an MKC and well, it’s too Lincoln-y and would get old after a few months. Now, if Matthew what‘s-his-name was my driver...

Flaws and all, our decision kept pointing to the Acura, though I can still be jealous of the Audi and 3 MBs on my street.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:58 AM
Racer

Yes, the XC60 would be awesome. Hopefully that awesomeness carries over the XC40, which would then put a Volvo in our territory. Yes, more horsepower is needed in the CX-5. All the nanny features in our ‘17 Advance are put to use, since we’re retired and don’t object to such overlook anymore. BSI, LKAS, cross-traffic indicator, adaptive cruise control. The CX-5 would be an ideal runabout car for me but my wife says we don’t need a second car. (“Yes, dear.”)
Old 11-06-2017, 08:05 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Audi Q5 or SQ5
Old 11-06-2017, 11:10 AM
Burning Brakes

^ The new Q5 is overrated in my opinion. It's surprisingly quick, but much of that can be attributed to the quick-but-lumpy 7-speed DSG. The gearbox is wonderful on a twisty back road, but it sucks in stop-and-go driving. You get the ZF 8-speed and "real" quattro with the SQ5, but that's in a different price class. The steering feel is atrocious as it is on most modern Audis. Now the first gen SQ5 or Q5 with the optional 3.0T is a different story. I would highly recommend either, lousy steering and all. And they are plentiful.

Preowned Q5 3.0T
Old 11-06-2017, 12:21 PM
Burning Brakes

We've thought about an Edge or Escape, but part of the problem with the Explorer is the Sync system. It has no actual buttons. Even the buttons not on the screen are on a flat black piece. It's not very user friendly when driving.

We drove a CR-V and a Rav4 yesterday just to see if we liked he less expensive 4 bangers. I'm not sure it if was that particular CR-V or all CVT transmissions, but that thing was terrible. Liked the interior and feel of the Rav4, but even in Sport mode it was pretty slow.

The wife isn't interested in Subaru, and Hyundai/Kia still have the cheap stigma. Liked the Lexus RX-350, but they also get terrible gas mileage and they're a little higher priced. Not really looking at BMW or MB due to the snob factor.

Interesting. I've sampled a lot of infotainment systems, and I found the Sync3 to be among the best. Most of the commonly used features have redundant controls, so I found little to complain about ... and I complain about touchscreen interfaces A LOT! I won't own a Volvo for that reason. But if you think the RX swills gas, the Edge Sport is not the car for her.

It's surprisingly difficult to find true luxury features in a mainstream brand. The Grand Cherokee offers plenty, but a lack of features isn't the concern with the Grand Cherokee. You can try the Envision, but I'll wager you'll be disappointed with it. The only other suggestion I have is the Murano. I find them painfully difficult to look at, but they aren't bad if you can get past the styling. Or maybe you even like the styling ... some people do after all. Ultimately though, it sounds like the RDX is the ride for your wife.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:52 PM
Pro

If you are worried about the stigma more than the driving experience, go ahead and get the RDX. I am amazed people will overlook the fine Korean cars because of the cars they made in the 80's. Now, if you drove them and found them to be bad, that is another thing. I also find it amusing the MB and BMW are too snobby while the KIA/Hyundai are too cheap(very fine line you are trying to find, eh?) I would strongly suggest you take an extended test drive in the RDX so you can fully experience the transmission behavior before plunking cash down. One other car I failed to mention earlier is the Infiniti QX50. I loved that one. Smaller cargo area, but what a great drive it provides.

Last edited by chickdr; 11-06-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:33 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by HotRodW
Interesting. I've sampled a lot of infotainment systems, and I found the Sync3 to be among the best. Most of the commonly used features have redundant controls, so I found little to complain about ... and I complain about touchscreen interfaces A LOT! I won't own a Volvo for that reason. But if you think the RX swills gas, the Edge Sport is not the car for her.

It's surprisingly difficult to find true luxury features in a mainstream brand. The Grand Cherokee offers plenty, but a lack of features isn't the concern with the Grand Cherokee. You can try the Envision, but I'll wager you'll be disappointed with it. The only other suggestion I have is the Murano. I find them painfully difficult to look at, but they aren't bad if you can get past the styling. Or maybe you even like the styling ... some people do after all. Ultimately though, it sounds like the RDX is the ride for your wife.
The Sync system itself is okay, it just has a couple of minor annoyances. When typing in an address, it has to think after every letter as it tries to figure out what you're typing. The main problem is the lack of actual buttons. Cars need a switch for things like butt-warmers, and its nice to be able to crank a knob for the temp.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:37 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by chickdr
If you are worried about the stigma more than the driving experience, go ahead and get the RDX. I am amazed people will overlook the fine Korean cars because of the cars they made in the 80's. Now, if you drove them and found them to be bad, that is another thing. I also find it amusing the MB and BMW are too snobby while the KIA/Hyundai are too cheap(very fine line you are trying to find, eh?) I would strongly suggest you take an extended test drive in the RDX so you can fully experience the transmission behavior before plunking cash down. One other car I failed to mention earlier is the Infiniti QX50. I loved that one. Smaller cargo area, but what a great drive it provides.
We haven't been in a Hyundai, but the wife likes the way they look. Thinking I might find one to drive this weekend. My brother has had a Kia for about a year now, and they've been in a loaner for more than 6 months(not an exaggeration) due to a problem with the AC. I'm no getting a Kia. And yes, I think we have narrowed it down quite a bit, probably too much. I just want to make sure we get something we'll enjoy for a long time.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:54 AM
Burning Brakes

The Sync system itself is okay, it just has a couple of minor annoyances. When typing in an address, it has to think after every letter as it tries to figure out what you're typing. The main problem is the lack of actual buttons. Cars need a switch for things like butt-warmers, and its nice to be able to crank a knob for the temp.
I agree wholeheartedly on the necessity of buttons, switches and knobs. But the Edge has physical controls for heated and cooled seats, and most other HVAC and audio functions. It's not the prettiest center stack, but it's more functional than most.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:14 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm having a hard time deciding between the RDX and the Subaru Outback 3.6. Would get them both used, 2017, Touring and Tech so fairly comparable. Can probably throw in the Forester XT Touring as well. I've driven the RDX a bunch of times as my sister has a 14. Test drove the 17 over the weekend. Have yet to drive either Subaru. Like the extra space in the Outback as well as it's a 6cyl as well. The Forester also has more cargo space than the RDX. Can tune it as well for a little more HP and MPG. The RDX is a little more plush, but in a nicer way than say the CRV which just seems like a minivan. The Subies have better AWD, and I work in operating rooms all over and have had to dig out my driveway with 3ft of snow and get my MDX going because docs were operating. And now I get to do that to hospitals two hours away. So the Subarus give me a little more piece of mind. But my 06" MDX never left me wanting to get anywhere in the snow. Quite torn.

Trying to rule out the CRV, Tucson and CX5 which going with the Forester would be an easy choice then if I was to deal with a turbo 4.

The RDX wins in the overall ride (from what I've read) and the interior (but not by much from what I've seen so far). The design is more subdued. Drove well. Very competent and quick enough. When the warranty is up I'd switch over to Honda for servicing as the service department at my local acura dealer is filled with pompous assholes. Got tired real quick of their condescending attitudes dand BS answer when I dealt with recall issues and they act appalled I wasn't letting them do every single little service or fix they wanted to perform.

And I do like the RDX in the black and tan config. Can pick up a 2017 w/Tech and under 10k mi for $32k. Though they did give me the lowest trade in val for my 06 MDX. Other dealers were valuing it about another $500 less. Guess Acura doesn't do any sort of loyalty bonus unless you're using their financial services.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by dbpaddler
I'm having a hard time deciding between the RDX and the Subaru Outback 3.6. Would get them both used, 2017, Touring and Tech so fairly comparable. Can probably throw in the Forester XT Touring as well. I've driven the RDX a bunch of times as my sister has a 14. Test drove the 17 over the weekend. Have yet to drive either Subaru. Like the extra space in the Outback as well as it's a 6cyl as well. The Forester also has more cargo space than the RDX. Can tune it as well for a little more HP and MPG. The RDX is a little more plush, but in a nicer way than say the CRV which just seems like a minivan. The Subies have better AWD, and I work in operating rooms all over and have had to dig out my driveway with 3ft of snow and get my MDX going because docs were operating. And now I get to do that to hospitals two hours away. So the Subarus give me a little more piece of mind. But my 06" MDX never left me wanting to get anywhere in the snow. Quite torn.

Trying to rule out the CRV, Tucson and CX5 which going with the Forester would be an easy choice then if I was to deal with a turbo 4.

The RDX wins in the overall ride (from what I've read) and the interior (but not by much from what I've seen so far). The design is more subdued. Drove well. Very competent and quick enough. When the warranty is up I'd switch over to Honda for servicing as the service department at my local acura dealer is filled with pompous assholes. Got tired real quick of their condescending attitudes dand BS answer when I dealt with recall issues and they act appalled I wasn't letting them do every single little service or fix they wanted to perform.

And I do like the RDX in the black and tan config. Can pick up a 2017 w/Tech and under 10k mi for $32k. Though they did give me the lowest trade in val for my 06 MDX. Other dealers were valuing it about another $500 less. Guess Acura doesn't do any sort of loyalty bonus unless you're using their financial services.
While I ended up moving to my MDX about a month ago, my other comparison was my (then) current RDX vs an Outback 3.6R. My reason for looking at the Subaru was the AWD system. I liked a lot about the RDX but the AWD system in my '15 left me frustrated in NH winters. I know the '16-'18 RDX's got better - but nowhere near where the Subaru's symmetrical AWD is in terms of winter traction. The Subaru was nice and had lots of features, and tons of pickup. But it was much more "utilitarian" than the RDX. More road noise, less solid feel when driving, and just not as "nice" inside as the RDX was. So while the Subaru ticked off the AWD solution, it fell behind all the others. So if you don't need the better AWD traction, I'd stick with the RDX, as my '15 was pretty much bullet-proof for the 32 months I leased it.

I ended up with an MDX Tech lease because I was spoiled - I wanted the AWD improvement AND the luxury feel/features that the RDX had exposed me to. It's obviously more money to either buy or lease, but it checked off all my boxes - and I'm happy I made the move.

andy