Takata Recall

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 07:09 AM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Takata Recall

On the news this AM --- another 35 million vehicles to be added to the list.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:18 AM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
"The new recall is expected to include about 35 million passenger-side air bags and some driver-side air bags without a drying agent. It is also expected to include some air bags that were previously replaced that did not have a drying agent."

"The recall expansion, earlier reported by The Wall Street Journal, leaves open the question of whether about 50 million inflators - including 18 million side inflators and about 32 million frontal and side airbags with drying agents - will eventually need to be recalled."

Takata to announce recall of 35 million-40 million U.S. air bag inflators: sources | Reuters
Old 05-04-2016, 09:26 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Please no more Acura vehicles added to the list! Still waiting on my 08 RDX to get fixed. Don't want to add my TSX and MDX also.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:19 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
It is unlikely that vehicles made in Japan will be on the latest list, so the TSX should be OK.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:12 PM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
So USA built TLX vehicles may be affected?
Old 05-05-2016, 07:41 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Yep, both my 11 and 14 are affected.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:32 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Is this a separate recall from the ongoing recalls? Will this affect the already recalled vehicles? I recently had my RDX airbag fixed. I hope that's the end of it.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Comfy
Is this a separate recall from the ongoing recalls? Will this affect the already recalled vehicles? I recently had my RDX airbag fixed. I hope that's the end of it.
I hope it doesn't effect you or me with my '16 but 35 million passenger-side air bags and 18 million side inflators without a drying agent.
I would think the same drying agent in the repaired driver's side airbag would be in the passenger side and side airbags too.Installed about the same time.
I hope not,though.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:27 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by colt427
I hope it doesn't effect you or me with my '16 but 35 million passenger-side air bags and 18 million side inflators without a drying agent.
I would think the same drying agent in the repaired driver's side airbag would be in the passenger side and side airbags too.Installed about the same time.
I hope not,though.
It isn't only the "drying agent" that causes the issue, but the design of the casing that is intended to contain the explosion.

Here is Dr. Rosekind's (NHTSA Administrator) statement from yesterday regarding Wednesday's recall decision:

Protecting American Lives
Posted by NHTSA Administrator Mark Rosekind

As part of NHTSA’s mission to help Americans drive, ride and walk safely, the agency is expanding the recall of Takata air bag inflators to include an additional estimated 35-40 million inflators. This is on top of 28.8 million Takata inflators already under recall, more than a quarter of which have been repaired.
NHTSA is taking this action because we now have new data that shows why these air bag inflators fail and we want to make sure that Americans are safe in their vehicles. Failures of Takata air bag inflators have been tied to ten deaths and more than 100 injuries in the United States.

Americans are justifiably concerned about the Takata recall. This is the largest and most complex safety recall in U.S. history and it will take years to fully complete. It is essential that we all understand that not every Takata air bag is at risk of failure today, and NHTSA’s actions are designed to make sure that air bag inflators are recalled and replaced before they ever become a risk to vehicle occupants.
The data and information we now have tells us two important things regarding the safety of Takata inflators. First, the Takata inflators do not pose an unreasonable risk to safety when they are installed in a new vehicle or for several years afterward. Second, over time, the combined effect of moisture and heat cause the inflators to degrade—at varying rates in different conditions—to a point where they are no longer safe and should be replaced.
The recall itself is only the beginning of the story. We also need to make sure that vehicle owners get safe replacement inflators installed in their vehicles. As I mentioned, this is the largest safety recall in American history. Air bag inflators are not one-size-fits-all, and replacement inflators need to be specifically engineered for each of the affected vehicle models. This means it takes time before all recalled inflators will be able to be replaced. We are working with the industry to accelerate the production of replacement supplies, and we are continuing to require vehicle manufacturers to prioritize the replacement of the riskiest vehicles.

Vehicle owners play an important role in making sure their vehicles are safe. All vehicle owners should regularly check SaferCar.gov for information about any open recall on their vehicle and what they can do to have it fixed free of charge. Vehicle owners can also sign up for NHTSA’s Recall Alerts to receive email notification if your vehicle is recalled.
Most importantly, if you are notified that your vehicle is under recall and a remedy is available, immediately contact your dealer to schedule a repair and get your vehicle fixed at no cost.Vehicles included in this expanded recall will soon be made available using the agency's Recalls Lookup Tool, as automakers load that data into the website. We also encourage you to keep tabs on the Takata recalls page of our Recalls Spotlight website.
Even as we tackle this challenge, it is important to remember that air bags have saved tens of thousands of lives, and will continue to do so. Americans deserve to have confidence that this vital safety device will protect them and their loved ones in the event of a crash.
NHTSA will remain focused on the Takata recalls because the issue is so urgent. This spring, we had the tenth confirmed fatality in the United States due to a rupture of a recalled inflator. And just yesterday, Honda announced that there have been two more fatalities in Malaysia in just the last three weeks due to ruptures of Takata air bag inflators. NHTSA will continue its vigilance to ensure that Americans are safe in their cars.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:13 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I got my driver airbag inflator on our 4th gen 2013 TL repaired today. It's relatively new so getting a possible passenger airbag inflator won't probably be a problem for awhile, since the car is relatively new.

However, now that there is a new recall, on passenger airbag inflators, I'm more concerned about our second gen Acura 2002 TL...

Seems like there are a lot of airbags in the Acura 2002 TL (and I'm sure in all the other Acuras).... and probably they are all from Takata.

Here's the original press release on the 2002 TL: 2002 Acura 3.2 TL -- Safety - Honda.com

DUAL AIR BAG SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM (SRS)
The 2002 TL features a standard driver's and front passenger's air bag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS). The driver's air bag is located in the steering wheel hub, while the passenger's air bag is located on top of the dash. Both air bags are triggered simultaneously by means of three impact sensors located in the passenger compartment. To ensure maximum reliability, the sensors use gold-plated electrical connectors. As in all Acura automobiles, the front passenger's air bag is designed to deploy upward along the windshield and then back toward the occupant. This provides a large cushion to help protect the front passenger.

DUAL STAGE FRONT AIR BAGS
To enhance the protection of the driver and front seat passenger during a variety of frontal impact collisions, varying air bag deployment power is used in the TL. The system, which uses a dual-stage inflator, automatically adjusts the deployment of the driver's and front passenger's SRS air bags to one of two speeds based on the severity of the crash and seat belt usage. During a slower speed collision, the dual-stage inflator system for the air bag is triggered in sequence, resulting in slower overall air bag deployment with less initial force. During a high-speed collision, both inflators operate simultaneously for full immediate inflation, to correspond with the greater impact force.

SIDE AIR BAG SYSTEM
The TL features seat-mounted side air bags for the driver and front seat passenger. The front passenger's seat is equipped with an innovative system designed to prevent injury to a small child or small-statured adult by preventing side air bag deployment if they lean into the side air bag deployment path. Seven sensors in the passenger seatback determine the height and position of the occupant to assist the system in determining if it is safe to deploy the side air bag. If the passenger is in the deployment path of the side air bag, the system will prevent the side air bag from inflating. When the passenger returns to an upright seating position, the side air bag will reactivate so it can deploy and protect the passenger in a side impact.
I'm assuming if there is a non-dissicated airbag in my 2002 TL, it most likely will be a Takata airbag (why on earth would they use different brands?). Since it's from 2002 and there has already been a death in this particular model (though I am sure it was the driver); I think it will qualify to be repaired soon (though I imagine mine will be last to be repaired in this particular year and model since I live in Wisconsin and it's not considered a danger zone)....

Meh.

Last edited by lbotez; 05-06-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:35 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Affected Vehicles As Of May 6, 2016

AFFECTED VEHICLES:

Acura: 2002–2003, 2009–2014 TL; 2003 CL; 2003–2006 MDX; 2005–2012 Acura RL; 2007–2016 RDX; 2010–2013 ZDX; 2013–2016 ILX

Massive Takata Airbag Recall: Everything You Need to Know ? News ?Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog
Old 05-07-2016, 07:00 AM
Racer

My 12/15 build '16 doesn't show the recall on the NHTSA VIN# check......yet.
I got a feeling it will with this new alert.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:39 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by lbotez
I got my driver airbag inflator on our 4th gen 2013 TL repaired today. It's relatively new so getting a possible passenger airbag inflator won't probably be a problem for awhile, since the car is relatively new.

However, now that there is a new recall, on passenger airbag inflators, I'm more concerned about our second gen Acura 2002 TL...

Seems like there are a lot of airbags in the Acura 2002 TL (and I'm sure in all the other Acuras).... and probably they are all from Takata.

Here's the original press release on the 2002 TL: 2002 Acura 3.2 TL -- Safety - Honda.com

I'm assuming if there is a non-dissicated airbag in my 2002 TL, it most likely will be a Takata airbag (why on earth would they use different brands?). Since it's from 2002 and there has already been a death in this particular model (though I am sure it was the driver); I think it will qualify to be repaired soon (though I imagine mine will be last to be repaired in this particular year and model since I live in Wisconsin and it's not considered a danger zone)....

Meh.
And herein lies part of the problem - many cars have airbags from multiple manufacturers and some car companies don't even know what is where.

The problem isn't all Takata airbags.

Airbags have the bag, the propellant and an enclosure that contains and shapes the explosion when the propellant ignites.

The propellant ignites and the enclosure shapes the explosion to inflate the airbag.

As the propellant Takata uses (that was assembled improperly in certain factories) ages and absorbs moisture, it becomes more powerful and the enclosure no longer contains the explosion; in fact, the explosion tears the enclosure apart.

Passenger side airbags are a completely different design and the likelihood of a damaging airbag deployment is significantly lower.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:15 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ceb
And herein lies part of the problem - many cars have airbags from multiple manufacturers and some car companies don't even know what is where.

The problem isn't all Takata airbags.

Airbags have the bag, the propellant and an enclosure that contains and shapes the explosion when the propellant ignites.

The propellant ignites and the enclosure shapes the explosion to inflate the airbag.

As the propellant Takata uses (that was assembled improperly in certain factories) ages and absorbs moisture, it becomes more powerful and the enclosure no longer contains the explosion; in fact, the explosion tears the enclosure apart.

Passenger side airbags are a completely different design and the likelihood of a damaging airbag deployment is significantly lower.
Well, that's reassuring. Thanks.

I would assume if you have no passenger in the front seat, you would probably be okay then.

This 2002 TL has been our main car for over 12 years. We just recently bought a second Acura, another TL (2013). Never thought much about the airbags until recently. This Acura has had the driver side airbag inflator replaced twice! Once in 2010, and again last year. Never even knew there was any problem like DEATH with it. Now I find out that this model TL (2002) is the only Acura that anyone died in because of the inflator exploding.

Will feel a lot better when I find out if I need to have the passenger-side inflator replaced or not. #Can'tBeAlone

Last edited by lbotez; 05-07-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:29 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
AFFECTED VEHICLES:

Acura: 2002–2003, 2009–2014 TL; 2003 CL; 2003–2006 MDX; 2005–2012 Acura RL; 2007–2016 RDX; 2010–2013 ZDX; 2013–2016 ILX

Massive Takata Airbag Recall: Everything You Need to Know ? News ?Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog
This list is the list for all cars affected to this point it's got noting to do with the latest recall...
Old 05-08-2016, 09:41 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

,,, that is what 'as of May 6th' means.

But C&D is maintaining a near real time update including legislative decisions long before any manufacturer will alert owners. This source is a good one to watch for the latest updates.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:23 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

An interesting Bloomberg article consolidating the history of the issue

Takata Air Bags: The Longest Recall - Bloomberg
Old 05-13-2016, 09:03 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
So some people will have to wait till 2019 to get their airbag replaced. The government doesn't have the authority to order the company to issue loaners.....?
What the hell? Why can't they simply pass a law authorizing themselves? I'm sure no citizens would object to that. .
Old 05-13-2016, 09:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It now seems like it might be 2018 in till I get my 2013 acura tl air bag replaced. I think the d.o.t. should stop sale of all new Honda vehicles in til all airbags are replaced. Why build new cars if you can't fix the old ones. Honda has known about this problem since 2004. They even asked Takada to change the design without notifying the D.O.T. This amounts to a coverup. Oh yes, I forgot, Honda owns part of Takada. If they stop building cars they can divert the airbags from them to replace the cars they have already built.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:46 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The 16 rental we got we actually like the rdx better. bmw x5 is a pain getting in and out of, it shakes at 80 and it rides like a tank on bad back roads, but it only increases the longevity of of RDX. @ 1200 a month Honda will find an airbag way sooner than 18 for sure.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:18 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by johnhyre
It now seems like it might be 2018 in till I get my 2013 acura tl air bag replaced. I think the d.o.t. should stop sale of all new Honda vehicles in til all airbags are replaced. Why build new cars if you can't fix the old ones. Honda has known about this problem since 2004. They even asked Takada to change the design without notifying the D.O.T. This amounts to a coverup. Oh yes, I forgot, Honda owns part of Takada. If they stop building cars they can divert the airbags from them to replace the cars they have already built.
Firstly, I was not aware of Honda having any ownership in Takata. Is this really true?

Interestingly, I am in the process of buying out my 14 RDX, buying a new 17 RDX and selling my Wife's 11 RDX. The 11 and 14 have the airbag recall and it wont be done until the fall of 2016 here according to Acura's letter.

Anyway, I am getting lowballed on my 2011 on value on a trade in, and having trouble selling it privately and I believe this is because of the airbag issue.

I am a Canadian, and I called Acura to discuss this. They were quite clear to distance themselves from Takata by saying " Oh you mean the Takata airbag recall". This is interesting since they have ownership in same, which may explain why they have Takata airbags in so many of their vehicles.

Anyway, I said as I am buying out the 14 on June 10,2016, that I feel I am being penalized about $2000 for reduction of value in the 11 due to the airbag issue and they said we can only offer a rental. I said, please pass me onto their Manager as I am not accepting this. I am awaiting this call. As a longtime Acura/Honda, (I count 11 vehicles over the years) they should be stepping up and helping me out here. Further, I am looking into getting into a 17 and buying out the 14 Lease.

I then thought to myself, I am going to take a rental and park my 14 and put the miles on the rental. Acura pointed out there have not been any cases in Canada where people have been injured by these airbags which are the source of this recall.

Funny, unless you ask, you would not get any offer of a rental. My best guess is that they are hoping that most people will not bother with this and they will not offer unless you ask. Of course they are opening themselves up to lawsuits if someone gets injured and they should have offered these rentals upfront in their letters.

I will let you know what comes of this matter.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:48 AM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
When Firestone had all that trouble with tires flying apart they kept quiet, even though people were dying, until forced to do a recall. Their bean counters ruled that they were better off, cost-wise, settling lawsuits than recalling millions of tires. If you think any corporate entity gives a rat's ass about you or anyone else you are sadly mistaken.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:58 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
Firstly, I was not aware of Honda having any ownership in Takata. Is this really true?
Honda owns 1.2% of Takata.

"Honda is Takata’s biggest customer, and has been buying its airbags since Takata started producing them in the 1980s. It is also a part owner: Honda holds 1.2 percent of Takata’s stock, making it one of the company’s largest shareholders."

"A Honda executive vice president, Tetsuo Iwamura, suggested that the automaker was reviewing its shareholder relationship with Takata given Takata’s reduced role as a Honda supplier. But he emphasized that Honda had not made a final decision."

"Honda said it expected to complete the shift to other airbag producers by March (2016). The company had already been cultivating new suppliers to meet demand for replacement inflaters in millions of recalled vehicles. But it still relies on its longtime partner. This year (2015), about 25 percent of new Honda vehicles have been fitted with airbags with inflaters made by Takata, Honda said."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/05/bu...-in-japan.html
Old 05-15-2016, 12:33 PM
Instructor

Honda owns 1.2% of Takata.

"Honda is Takata’s biggest customer, and has been buying its airbags since Takata started producing them in the 1980s. It is also a part owner: Honda holds 1.2 percent of Takata’s stock, making it one of the company’s largest shareholders."

"A Honda executive vice president, Tetsuo Iwamura, suggested that the automaker was reviewing its shareholder relationship with Takata given Takata’s reduced role as a Honda supplier. But he emphasized that Honda had not made a final decision."

"Honda said it expected to complete the shift to other airbag producers by March (2016). The company had already been cultivating new suppliers to meet demand for replacement inflaters in millions of recalled vehicles. But it still relies on its longtime partner. This year (2015), about 25 percent of new Honda vehicles have been fitted with airbags with inflaters made by Takata, Honda said."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/05/bu...-in-japan.html
Is don't think Takata is using ammonium nitrate any longer, however.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:48 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

In November 2014 testimony, Takata admitted suspecting ammonium nitrate instability was likely the source of the failures. In that testimony Takata stated ammonium nitrate would be phased out of Takata irbag production by March 2015. In followup testimony in June 2015 Takata disclosed they were still using ammonium nitrate for airbag production. That would impact not only vehicles produced into the 2016 model year (including some 2016 RDXs) but even the replacement airbags of some previously recalled and replaced airbags.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/20/bu...of-crisis.html

My 2016 RLX Sport Hybrid (built May 2015) has a Takata passenger side airbag. It is not on the recall list....yet. But since I do not know if the Takata pax airbag in my car was manufactured before or after the phase out of ammonium nitrate, I too have to wait and watch.

As I mention in the RLX forum, with the size of this recall and number of models and brands impacted, there is a lot of consumer anxiety. They (Feds and Manufacturers) do know which cars have Takata airbags. They also know which of those airbags were manufactured with ammonium nitrate. That data is available. Aside from searching on the NHTSA website consumers finding out if their car is on the recall list, they should further allow, by VIN entry if:

1) Does my car have a Takata airbag?
2) Are the Takata airbags in my car using ammonium nitrate?

So even if your car (including recent builds) is not on the recall list as of this time, you know the potential that it may. Generally speaking it appears the Feds are mandating all ammonium nitrate airbags to be recalled , including the previously recalled airbags which were replaced with ammonium nitrate airbags. The consumer can then make a more informed decision on the risk level they are willing to accept and have reasonable expectations as to if they will be impacted by this ever expanding recall.

Where people will start forming pitchfork & torche posse's is the tolerance of this spoon fed, band-aid approach to the greatest recall in automotive history. One irony I have yet to find data is that for all the rental cars being used as surrogates, how many of them have Takata airbags? My hope is those vehicles can no longer be in rental fleets?
Old 05-15-2016, 03:09 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dirleton
When Firestone had all that trouble with tires flying apart they kept quiet, even though people were dying, until forced to do a recall. Their bean counters ruled that they were better off, cost-wise, settling lawsuits than recalling millions of tires. If you think any corporate entity gives a rat's ass about you or anyone else you are sadly mistaken.
Money does not talk, it screams. Just like the Pinto, it was going to cost more to change/replace the part than paying lawsuits. That's why we have punitive damages now.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:20 PM
Drifting

In November 2014 testimony, Takata admitted suspecting ammonium nitrate instability was likely the source of the failures. In that testimony Takata stated ammonium nitrate would be phased out of Takata irbag production by March 2015. In followup testimony in June 2015 Takata disclosed they were still using ammonium nitrate for airbag production. That would impact not only vehicles produced into the 2016 model year (including some 2016 RDXs) but even the replacement airbags of some previously recalled and replaced airbags.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/20/bu...of-crisis.html

My 2016 RLX Sport Hybrid (built May 2015) has a Takata passenger side airbag. It is not on the recall list....yet. But since I do not know if the Takata pax airbag in my car was manufactured before or after the phase out of ammonium nitrate, I too have to wait and watch.

As I mention in the RLX forum, with the size of this recall and number of models and brands impacted, there is a lot of consumer anxiety. They (Feds and Manufacturers) do know which cars have Takata airbags. They also know which of those airbags were manufactured with ammonium nitrate. That data is available. Aside from searching on the NHTSA website consumers finding out if their car is on the recall list, they should further allow, by VIN entry if:

1) Does my car have a Takata airbag?
2) Are the Takata airbags in my car using ammonium nitrate?

So even if your car (including recent builds) is not on the recall list as of this time, you know the potential that it may. Generally speaking it appears the Feds are mandating all ammonium nitrate airbags to be recalled , including the previously recalled airbags which were replaced with ammonium nitrate airbags. The consumer can then make a more informed decision on the risk level they are willing to accept and have reasonable expectations as to if they will be impacted by this ever expanding recall.

Where people will start forming pitchfork & torche posse's is the tolerance of this spoon fed, band-aid approach to the greatest recall in automotive history. One irony I have yet to find data is that for all the rental cars being used as surrogates, how many of them have Takata airbags? My hope is those vehicles can no longer be in rental fleets?

One wonders, how Honda is incurring all these costs including rental cars, repairs and loss of good customers. I am sure they are asking Takada for re-imbursement, but at what point is Takata, with all the fines, replacement parts and lawsuits going to go bankrupt? It's just a matter of time IMHO. This will leave the automakers holding the bag. I can see there may be some Insurance for this but there will also be a limit for that, especially with Takata's knowledge for sometime that this situation was a problem.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
Please no more Acura vehicles added to the list! Still waiting on my 08 RDX to get fixed. Don't want to add my TSX and MDX also.
I wish they did. I'm a bit worried driving my TSX.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:48 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Originally Posted by musty hustla
I wish they did. I'm a bit worried driving my TSX.
My son got into a low speed front end accident with his 06 TSX that deployed the front driver side air bag 2 yrs ago. He was/is 100% fine and the airbag did its job. I don't know what they used to replace the original airbag or if it could fall under the second recall? I think we are not done with Takata for a while.