Strobe Flash

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 04:50 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Strobe Flash

Anybody installed a "Back-Off" type strobe/flash module at the third brake light?
Old 05-24-2017, 08:08 AM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts
I added one to my Avalon (not a Back-Off but similar and much cheaper) but haven't (yet) to the RDX. They certainly get the attention of following drivers and, since they only pulse for a few seconds, won't annoy anyone.

Cheers!
Old 05-24-2017, 10:53 AM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
I have never heard of these...is there a similar thing to put on the front to signal slow pokes or cell phone users who are bumbling along in the left lane who don't frickin move over to let you by ?
Old 05-24-2017, 11:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
Assuming the install is pretty much the same on a Subaru forester, you just pop the upper plastic off the inside of the hatch, cut your wires, splice in the new ones, and put the plastic back on.

It should be a short install, and it's super straight forward! There's only 2 connections if I'm not mistaken.

Good luck!
Old 05-24-2017, 12:07 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Interesting premise, but wondering if it is legal to do so??
Old 05-24-2017, 01:48 PM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
Interesting premise, but wondering if it is legal to do so??
Perfectly legal, it's no different than touching your brake pedal several times before slowing to wake following motorists up. I used a Back-Off on my motorcycle for years without issue. I've had patrol cars behind my car numerous times since the install, never a problem. Flashing lights on the 'front' of a civilian vehicle, now 'that' would be an issue.

Here's a link Here's a link
to the flasher I installed on my other car. It flashes very rapidly for a second or so then pulses three or four times before holding the light on solid. That install in a sedan required removing the back seat, disconnecting air bags, seat heaters etc. The RDX install should be a whole bunch simpler. It appears you can just pop out the triangular plastic pieces from each side of the lens, remove the screws behind them and pull the light assembly out. Splice in the flasher then stick the flasher unit inside (hopefully there's space in there).

The only wire the flasher connects to (splices in series) is the positive wire. Another wire from the flasher connects to ground and you're done.

Cheers!
The following users liked this post:
NBP04TL4ME (05-24-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 05:51 AM
Pro

Pretty small space. Big hands.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:33 PM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Another One Done

Originally Posted by dirleton
Anybody installed a "Back-Off" type strobe/flash module at the third brake light?
Well, that was (fairly) easy. I just installed a center brake light flasher in the RDX. I ordered this one for a couple of reasons. 1. It's the size of a dime so is easy to stash in the housing 2. It's programmable. There are many modules available and some users won't want to bother with the programming aspect. For this install though, smaller is definitely better.

How to:

1. If you purchased a programmable module I suggest you set it up on a table/bench with power (a 9v battery will work if you don't have a 12v supply) and an LED strip or 12v bulb for programming. It's a lot simpler that way than installing the module then having to have someone step on the brake and let off while you're getting the module to do what you want.

2. Once the module is set up the way you want (I set up for five very fast flashes then 3 much slower pulses) it's ready for installation in the 'wing.'

3. Remove the two triangular shaped pieces on each side of the brake light assembly by gently pushing a small screwdriver into the slot then verrry gently levering it so you're pushing the tab toward the outside of the lens. The catch is only roughly 1/16", maybe less so you don't have to push much before you can simply lift the triangular piece out. Remove both Phillips type screws that are now exposed.

4. Pull the light assembly out of the housing. You may have to wiggle it a little but those two screws are the only thing holding it in place. Unfortunately we weren't given an excess if wire (6" of slack would have been helpful) so you might have to borrow someone with skinny fingers to press the latch at the top of the connector and remove the connector from the light housing. Set the lens assembly aside.

5. Most flasher units only require attaching 3 wires. One to the power side of the positive (green in this case) wire, one to the bulb side of that wire and a third to the ground wire. Installation requires cutting the green wire and connecting the two module wires to the appropriate side. Acura did an excellent job of shielding the wire so you'll probably have to use a razor blade or very sharp knife to cut into the taped shielding and remove it for access to the wires.

6. Now that you can see the wires you know there's no room to crimp the connectors supplied with the flasher unit. Soldering is the way to go anyway. With a small wire stripper, very carefully strip the green wire ends (don't cut them or you'll have even less wire to work with). If you have some, slide some shrink tubing over the flasher unit wire and solder the appropriate flasher wires to the two green wire ends. Slide the shrink tubing over your solder joint and shrink it.

7. With the positive wires done it's time to connect the flasher ground wire to the light's ground (black) wire. You can use the T-tap supplied with the unit or strip off a tiny bit of insulation from the ground wire and solder then tape the flasher ground, no cutting needed.

8. Use small zip ties to tidy up your wiring and stuff it along with the module into the brake light cavity. Click the connector back onto the lens and install the lens with the two screws you removed earlier.

9. Test your installation with a helper stepping on the brake pedal to be sure the flashing as the way you intended. If not, remove the screws again and reprogram. Pop in the triangular lens pieces and you're done!

10. Done!

It sounds more complicated than it is. The entire install (not counting programming on the bench) took about 15 minutes.

Cheers!

Last edited by Gadgetjq; 06-02-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:18 PM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Hmmm, the link (above message) to the module I used doesn't work correctly and I can't edit so here it is again:
Amazon Amazon

And this is a link to the installation/programming instructions: http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/docum...eFlasherM1.pdf

Keep that link handy if you order the unit. There are no installation instructions provided with the module, you'll be sent to the above link.

Cheers!
Old 06-03-2017, 07:07 AM
Pro

I used the 3M "Scotchlok" type splice connectors when I installed in my truck. Plenty of room there and they worked well. Do you see any issues using them on the RDX install?
Old 06-03-2017, 08:10 AM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Originally Posted by dirleton
I used the 3M "Scotchlok" type splice connectors when I installed in my truck. Plenty of room there and they worked well. Do you see any issues using them on the RDX install?
See step #6 of my 'How To.'

Cheers!