So Honda doesn't recommend full synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 07:27 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
So Honda doesn't recommend full synthetic oil

according to my dealer service when I asked for a full synthetic change today. Only the synthetic blend.
BS.

Last edited by colt427; 10-09-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:47 AM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Then what is this? https://acura.bernardiparts.com/Acur...8798-9XXX.aspx
Old 10-11-2018, 07:49 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by colt427
according to my dealer service when I asked for a full synthetic change today. Only the synthetic blend.
BS.
lmao your attitude is bs

it's okay dude. your car will run on the blend.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:52 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by justnspace
lmao your attitude is bs

it's okay dude. your car will run on the blend.

My attitude is BS?
You're happy when a dealer tries to pull one over on you?
Why the only blend talk when the dealer I bought my Civic from has synthetic and is the same owner as the Acura dealer.
More visits to try to sell me other services?

I know it runs fine on a blend but the oil change recommendation is 5K or 6 months.
The RDX is basically a pleasure vehicle that will do 4K-5k per...maybe.
A full synthetic will give me a yearly change. That's why I prefer a full synthetic and now will go to my Honda dealer for a synthetic change.

Last edited by colt427; 10-11-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:58 AM
Racer

I called the Acura dealer service and they DO have synthetic.
So why did the service adviser say no?
Old 10-11-2018, 10:53 AM
Racer

Ok, I got a call from a Service BDC woman whatever title that is.
Anyway, she was requesting an 'Outstanding' on a quality survey on the service I received. I explained my issues and she said she would get back to me.
Yes, I was lied to.
A dealer manager got back to me, apologized and said they have synthetic and they'll give me a synthetic oil change free of charge even though a blend oil change was done. Also, a tire rotation of which they were supposed to do with the oil change and didn't. I knew they didn't because the tire shine was not disturbed along with not a trace of any dirtiness on any rim anywhere.
Yes, I'm OCD with my vehicles and I would easily notice.
I will receive a call from a service adviser about setting up an appointment.

Last edited by colt427; 10-11-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Ok, I got a call from a Service BDC woman whatever title that is.
Anyway, she was requesting an 'Outstanding' on a quality survey on the service I received. I explained my issues and she said she would get back to me.
Yes, I was lied to.
A dealer manager got back to me, apologized and said they have synthetic and they'll give me a synthetic oil change free of charge even though a blend oil change was done. Also, a tire rotation of which they were supposed to do with the oil change and didn't. I knew they didn't because the tire shine was not disturbed along with not a trace of any dirtiness on any rim anywhere.
Yes, I'm OCD with my vehicles and I would easily notice.
I will receive a call from a service adviser about setting up an appointment.
As I suspected, your Acura Service guys were being lazy. Way back, after I purchased a TSX Wagon, my dealer had new owners night where they explained stuff and handed out an Acura branded first aid kit. Anyway, I learned all their cars can take synthetic blend except for the RDX, which is supposed to get full synthetic.

Glad you persisted and that they are making it right.
The following users liked this post:
colt427 (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 11:19 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by WheelMcCoy
As I suspected, your Acura Service guys were being lazy. Way back, after I purchased a TSX Wagon, my dealer had new owners night where they explained stuff and handed out an Acura branded first aid kit. Anyway, I learned all their cars can take synthetic blend except for the RDX, which is supposed to get full synthetic.

Glad you persisted and that they are making it right.
Funny thing is will they actually add synthetic oil?

As I was leaving the dealer ,I checked the oil monitor and it said 30%.
So I turned around and went back into service and my service adviser said the mechanic forgot to reset the monitor.Hmmmm...
When I got home, I checked the oil and it didn't look fresh. Add in the what I believe was a lack of a tire rotation and I wasn't happy.

This wasn't a service call. With the lack of a V6 (which I adore) and a few other things about the '19, though many positives, I decided to buy out my lease. The '18 is my second RDX Advance (had a '16 lease,) They were supposed to do a 182 point check too. They say they have the paperwork on that.
All this was supposed to be done while I was doing the buying paperwork and an hour or so wait after. I never received any oil change and trie rotation paperwork for my records.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
Funny thing is will they actually add synthetic oil?

As I was leaving the dealer ,I checked the oil monitor and it said 30%.
So I turned around and went back into service and my service adviser said the mechanic forgot to reset the monitor.Hmmmm...
When I got home, I checked the oil and it didn't look fresh. Add in the what I believe was a lack of a tire rotation and I wasn't happy.

This wasn't a service call. With the lack of a V6 (which I adore) and a few other things about the '19, though many positives, I decided to buy out my lease. The '18 is my second RDX Advance (had a '16 lease,) They were supposed to do a 182 point check too. They say they have the paperwork on that.
All this was supposed to be done while I was doing the buying paperwork and an hour or so wait after. I never received any oil change and trie rotation paperwork for my records.
I'd be livid and take it back immediately.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:49 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by thoiboi
I'd be livid and take it back immediately.
The dealer is 25 miles away. I'll wait for a service adviser to call and set up an appt.

It's one thing to possibly having things not done what they said they were going to do but also lie about not having synthetic oil and Honda doesn't recommend synthetic oil use. WTF!
I'm a car guy and I know you're BS'ing me.

I have 6 free oil changes and tire rotation in the deal. I said I would pay extra for full synthetic or give me 3 free synthetic changes and tire rotations which would be once a year. I just told that to the manager.
This first oil change and tire rotation was on them. At least I did get the usual buy gas tank fill up.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:40 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What I believed happened here is that this particular dealership opted to go with the less expensive route (to them) and used a synthetic blend of 0w20, which is suitable as long as it meets the specs of the engine oil requirement on the vehicle. It's pretty rare these days to find a dealership that actually uses "genuine" Honda/Acura motor oil during service as the aftermarket stuff is generally cheaper and readily available as the OEM motor oil.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 988 Likes on 746 Posts
As up tight as you sound about your vehicles, do the work yourself and save the headache!
The following 3 users liked this post by BreezyTL:
auskip07 (10-22-2018), Lifeisgood (10-15-2018), mickey513 (11-16-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 04:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mickey513
What I believed happened here is that this particular dealership opted to go with the less expensive route (to them) and used a synthetic blend of 0w20, which is suitable as long as it meets the specs of the engine oil requirement on the vehicle. It's pretty rare these days to find a dealership that actually uses "genuine" Honda/Acura motor oil during service as the aftermarket stuff is generally cheaper and readily available as the OEM motor oil.
You're right but to lie about not having full synthetic and saying Honda doesn't recommend using full synthetic is wrong.

Originally Posted by BreezyTL
As up tight as you sound about your vehicles, do the work yourself and save the headache!
I always changed my own oil for but with my back, now I only do filters, LES changeovers, detailing etc.
I liked picking out the brand and oil weights along with filter choices.

I just moved to SC from NJ and would love to go full synthetic 5w30 in both vehicles. It gets really hot here with no real winter.
MerlinT (10-12-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 07:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 236 Posts
according to my dealer...
And there lies the problem. Its why I have been self sufficient for everything, vehicles, HVAC, etc.

Lifeisgood (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 08:51 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
^

The problem is, many services don't need to be done and/or don't require premium material (this oil change being the perfect example). But as a customer or "car guy" you may want it done that way. Another thing I've commonly seen is mechanics using basic rather than premium or OEM parts. My sister-in-law needed her sway-bar links replaced on her A6, which I offered to do if she paid for parts. I recommended the Moog problem solver links but she felt they were too expensive. I told her I didn't feel comfortable with using cheapo parts, especially on a heavier luxury car like an Audi A6. She ended up going to a mechanic which charged her 4X the cost of the good parts anyways. A few months later she needed brakes done which I did for her, and while I was at it, took a look at the sway bar links. They were the cheapest option that RockAuto has on their website, Some no-name brand I've never heard of. "SKP" I believe. Like $4 instead of the $34 Moog. Will they last as long? Maybe. But anyone vested in their vehicle would have preferred the premium parts and would very likely have paid the extra $30 each for a pretty important component.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:27 PM
Racer

All is good now with no charge for full synthetic. At least it states 'full synthetic ' on my paperwork.
I have an in house copy of the paperwork.
An apology from the service manager, service adviser and my salesman.