AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G RDX (2013-2018) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/)
-   -   S-VCM Controller now has a website (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/s-vcm-controller-now-has-website-969615/)

jjrphs 05-06-2018 12:47 PM

S-VCM Controller now has a website

For those interested in VCM system deactivation and want to order direct

S-VCM CONTROLLER

Acc20yrs 05-08-2018 02:39 PM

Thanks

Originally Posted by jjrphs (Post 16229742)
For those interested in VCM system deactivation and want to order direct

S-VCM CONTROLLER

I am getting mine in the mail today! Can't wait to install and drive around to experience the difference.

jjrphs 05-08-2018 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Acc20yrs (Post 16230778)
I am getting mine in the mail today! Can't wait to install and drive around to experience the difference.

One suggestion...install with your vehicle completely cold. I installed mine 1st in our 2011 Pilot with the engine hot (couldn't wait) and it triggered a CEL. I was able to immediately turn off the CEL with my scan tool...but could have waited and let the light go about by itself. When I moved the S-VCM to our RDX...I did so when it was completely cold and no CEL was triggered. Enjoy running on all 6 cylinders all the time!

Acc20yrs 05-08-2018 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by jjrphs (Post 16230812)
One suggestion...install with your vehicle completely cold. I installed mine 1st in our 2011 Pilot with the engine hot (couldn't wait) and it triggered a CEL. I was able to immediately turn off the CEL with my scan tool...but could have waited and let the light go about by itself. When I moved the S-VCM to our RDX...I did so when it was completely cold and no CEL was triggered. Enjoy running on all 6 cylinders all the time!

Thanks for the tip!! I greatly appreciate it! 👍🏼😊

Acc20yrs 05-09-2018 10:10 AM

Instalation complete

Ok S-VCM just installed on a cold engine a minute ago. Going for a ride hopefully I get no check engine lights. Will report....

Acc20yrs 05-09-2018 11:03 AM

Soo happy

Well I am very happy with the result of installing
S-VCM. A few initial observations:
1- The temperature gage hovers maybe ome notch below where it used to.
2- Transmission shifts differently, quicker shifts, smother downshifts, also stays in lower gear a tad longer.
3- Definitely feels more powerful which is a result of having all 6 cylinders active all the time.

Acc20yrs 05-09-2018 01:40 PM

[QUOTE=Acc20yrs;16231250]Well I am very happy with the result of installing
1- The temperature gage hovers maybe one notch below where it used to.
2- Transmission shifts differently, quicker shifts, smother downshifts, also stays in lower gear a tad longer.
3- Definitely feels more powerful which is a result of having all 6 cylinders active all the time.
4- The “bump” when shifting fr second gear to first gear is GONE!! This is maybe the best result of this that bump annoyed me for four years!

jjrphs 05-09-2018 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Acc20yrs (Post 16231382)
Well I am very happy with the result of installing S-VCM.
A few initial observations:
4- The “bump” when shifting fr second gear to first gear is GONE!! This is maybe the best result of this that bump annoyed me for four years!

Excellent Acc20yrs! You know...it's frustrating when you purchase a top of the line vehicle and it has driveability issues which a vehicle of that level should NEVER have. I place the blame on the VCM system and the transmission-transmission fluid combination Honda/Acura still seeming can't get right after over a decade of trying. This was my situation when I purchased our 13 RDX-Tech a few months ago...it was like a flashback to the transmission issues I had with our 08 Odyssey and the VCM with our 11 Pilot.

Based on that previous experience though, I was confident it could be effectively addressed with a couple of easy tweaks...MaxLife ATF and S-VCM Controller. As you've discovered...running on all 6 cylinders all the time can transform that "bad behavior" into the refined driving experience it should be. And...as I've mentioned previously in other threads, I'm a firm believer in MaxLife ATF in a Honda transmission.

Congrats on the positive outcome of installing the S-VCM Controller and thanks for sharing.

Acc20yrs 05-09-2018 07:07 PM

Absolutely

Originally Posted by jjrphs (Post 16231517)
Excellent Acc20yrs! You know...it's frustrating when you purchase a top of the line vehicle and it has driveability issues which a vehicle of that level should NEVER have. I place the blame on the VCM system and the transmission-transmission fluid combination Honda/Acura still seeming can't get right after over a decade of trying. This was my situation when I purchased our 13 RDX-Tech a few months ago...it was like a flashback to the transmission issues I had with our 08 Odyssey and the VCM with our 11 Pilot.

Based on that previous experience though, I was confident it could be effectively addressed with a couple of easy tweaks...MaxLife ATF and S-VCM Controller. As you've discovered...running on all 6 cylinders all the time can transform that "bad behavior" into the refined driving experience it should be. And...as I've mentioned previously in other threads, I'm a firm believer in MaxLife ATF in a Honda transmission.

Congrats on the positive outcome of installing the S-VCM Controller and thanks for sharing.

Absolutely! Also I am happy to report no check engine light has come on. I followed your advice and installed it with a cold engine. Thanks!!

Tech 05-09-2018 10:14 PM

Shipping?

How much is the shipping?

Acc20yrs 05-10-2018 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tech (Post 16231686)
How much is the shipping?

I think it was like $14 LOL

Acc20yrs 05-10-2018 09:36 AM

Took first long trip today 1 hour to work. I really like having al 6 cylinders full time, feels like I'm driving a different car. :butthead:

sathiyan 05-10-2018 10:57 AM

Does it come with install instructions? or can someone share instructions on how to Install please?

Acc20yrs 05-10-2018 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by sathiyan (Post 16231908)
Does it come with install instructions? or can someone share instructions on how to Install please?

Yes very clear instructions. It is a very straightforward installation can’t get it wrong.

redrdx17 07-30-2018 07:08 PM

[QUOTE=Acc20yrs;16231382]

Originally Posted by Acc20yrs (Post 16231250)
Well I am very happy with the result of installing

My '17 RDX also has the annoying "bump" when I am coasting up to a traffic light. I thought it was a transmission problem, but after reading this post it looks like a S-VCM may be the answer.

The website price is less than the e-bay site. I noticed that the website, svcmcontroller.com has no information regarding the name of the company, address, phone number, customer service information, etc.

Is it really legit? What do you do if there is a problem?

jjrphs 07-31-2018 08:53 AM

[QUOTE=redrdx17;16272780]

Yes...the S-VCM controller is legit and works as advertised. He has a "hot button" on the website to send a message if you so desire. If it makes you feel more comfortable...order from his Ebay ad. That way, you have the peace of mind of having recourse on the purchase. He didn't have a website up when I ordered mine many months ago...so mine was purchased from the Ebay ad too. Check out his feedback on the ad as well. Good luck.

redrdx17 08-01-2018 08:55 AM

Based on the positive feedback and ebay reviews, I placed an order for a S-VCM on the website. I used my Paypal account in case there are any issues. It's still very concerning that he doesn't have a company name or contact information posted. I'm a business owner, ebay seller, website owner, and would never sell product without letting my customers know who they are dealing with.

Anyway, I have the annoying "bump" down from 2nd to 1st gear. Upshifting is not jerky, but definitely not near as smooth as my previous V6, 6-speed Hyundai transmission. I can feel when the RDX is shifting, where the Hyundai's shifting was so smooth you couldn't even tell when it was shifting.

Well, we'll see if the S-VCM makes a difference. The seller is in Canada, so we'll see how long it takes to ship to the U.S. (Ohio). I'll post with the results after installing the S-VCM.

sathiyan 08-01-2018 09:47 AM

Agree. Shipping is slow. I used Paypal as well. No issues. I got mine few weeks back and installed. It makes such a difference as Acc20yrs mentioned earlier.

jjrphs 08-01-2018 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by redrdx17 (Post 16273521)
I'm a business owner, ebay seller, website owner, and would never sell product without letting my customers know who they are dealing with..

No disagreement that he is a bit secretive. What I can tell you is that he's always been responsive to any/all of my communications with him and his product works as advertised.

Originally Posted by redrdx17 (Post 16273521)
Anyway, I have the annoying "bump" down from 2nd to 1st gear. Upshifting is not jerky, but definitely not near as smooth as my previous V6, 6-speed Hyundai transmission. I can feel when the RDX is shifting, where the Hyundai's shifting was so smooth you couldn't even tell when it was shifting..

I've been using MaxLife synthetic ATF in all of my Honda's since it cured the drivebility issues in a 08 Odyssey we had many years ago. I also performed a fluid swap to MaxLife ATF at the same time I installed the S-VCM Controller just after I purchased our 13 RDX with just under 60k miles. My personal advice would be to also consider switching ATF to MaxLife...it too will help with a misbehaving tranny and make upshifts and downshifts much smoother.

redrdx17 08-01-2018 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by jjrphs (Post 16273568)
No disagreement that he is a bit secretive. What I can tell you is that he's always been responsive to any/all of my communications with him and his product works as advertised.

I've been using MaxLife synthetic ATF in all of my Honda's since it cured the drivebility issues in a 08 Odyssey we had many years ago. I also performed a fluid swap to MaxLife ATF at the same time I installed the S-VCM Controller just after I purchased our 13 RDX with just under 60k miles. My personal advice would be to also consider switching ATF to MaxLife...it too will help with a misbehaving tranny and make upshifts and downshifts much smoother.

It's very reassuring that you guys had good luck with the S-VCM seller. He's definitely hiding something...I'm guessing he isn't incorporated and is avoiding paying taxes, but I don't know how that works in Canada.

I have used Valvoline MaxLife ATF in the past with excellent results. I will first install the S-VCM to see the difference it makes, then switch to the MaxLife.

Thanks for all your help!...I'm looking forward to getting my RDX to perform as an Acura should!

Acc20yrs 08-01-2018 11:20 AM

Web site is legit

[QUOTE=redrdx17;16272780]

[left]
My '17 RDX also has the annoying "bump" when I am coasting up to a traffic light. I thought it was a transmission problem, but after reading this post it looks like a S-VCM may be the answer.

The website price is less than the e-bay site. I noticed that the website, svcmcontroller.com has no information regarding the name of the company, address, phone number, customer service information, etc.

The website is legit. I ordered twice and the product was delivered promptly and works real well. I've been running it on my 14 RDX tech with no issues.

wifeRDX 08-03-2018 01:57 PM

Any comparison on fuel economy before and after S-VCM?

Tech 08-04-2018 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by redrdx17 (Post 16273596)
I'm guessing he isn't incorporated and is avoiding paying taxes.

Possibly, but considering how our taxes are being pi$$ed away by governments, I don't blame anyone for not paying taxes. Just look at the clown of a Prime Minister we have running our country.

I met the product owner and he seems to be very clued in.

inmydream316 08-12-2018 06:26 PM

I posted other thread but i installed mine few days ago and working great

JD8 01-27-2019 06:03 PM

Ordered it and should be here any day. I'm planning to wire it through a switch installed in the blank next to the traction control disable button. That way I can easily enable VCM when gas prices go through the roof. :)

JD8 01-28-2019 11:55 AM

Just installed it and went for a spin. This is without question the best upgrade yet. Some observations:
  • Install took less than 5 minutes (detailed instructions with pictures provided)
  • Idle roughness has been totally eliminated and the engine sounds strong and smooth
  • The obnoxious VCM shudder is gone
  • Shifts are much smother and well timed
  • Throttle response is improved
  • MPG is just slightly worse
  • VCM is shit. SHIT I tell you!

Acc20yrs 01-31-2019 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by JD8 (Post 16372719)
Just installed it and went for a spin. This is without question the best upgrade yet. Some observations:
  • Install took less than 5 minutes (detailed instructions with pictures provided)
  • Idle roughness has been totally eliminated and the engine sounds strong and smooth
  • The obnoxious VCM shudder is gone
  • Shifts are much smother and well timed
  • Throttle response is improved
  • MPG is just slightly worse
  • VCM is shit. SHIT I tell you!

VCM is a piece of junk. In my opinion and experience, it is more of a nuisance than anything else. VCM doesn't even save gas as they say, at least in my case I haven't noticed any significant increase in fuel usage after disconnecting VCM. I own a BMW with sport displays for HP and Torque. I noticed looking at that display that once you reach 55 mph you use very little horsepower and torque (BMW has a straight 6 engine with twin turbo scrolls and no VCM). In my opinion, VCM is just a marketing ploy or just something Honda was forced to do to comply with US Emissions.

jjrphs 01-31-2019 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by jd8 (Post 16372719)
just installed it and went for a spin. This is without question the best upgrade yet. Some observations:
  • install took less than 5 minutes (detailed instructions with pictures provided)
  • idle roughness has been totally eliminated and the engine sounds strong and smooth
  • the obnoxious vcm shudder is gone
  • shifts are much smother and well timed
  • throttle response is improved
  • mpg is just slightly worse
  • vcm is shit. Shit i tell you!

Originally Posted by acc20yrs (Post 16374856)
vcm is a piece of junk. In my opinion and experience, it is more of a nuisance than anything else. Vcm doesn't even save gas as they say, at least in my case i haven't noticed any significant increase in fuel usage after disconnecting vcm. I own a bmw with sport displays for hp and torque. I noticed looking at that display that once you reach 55 mph you use very little horsepower and torque (bmw has a straight 6 engine with twin turbo scrolls and no vcm). In my opinion, vcm is just a marketing ploy or just something honda was forced to do to comply with us emissions.

I am truly a Honda (motorcycle & car) fan and that's been the case ever since I bought my 1st (new) 1980 Honda Accord Hatchback. Having said that and having dealt with three Honda vehicles with the VCM system (Odyssey, Pilot & RDX)...I couldn't agree more with the above sentiments regarding VCM.

wsw 02-19-2019 03:09 PM

Thanks guys for the great information! 2016 RDX Advance here and I will be ordering a S-VCM Controller today.

egads 02-20-2019 02:18 AM

There is a new unit called a VCMTUNER II :

https://www.vcmtuner.com/products/vc...e-vcm-eco-mode

It costs a little more, but it does a couple of interesting things. One is that if the unit observes a long idle time, it will report the real coolant temp to the ECU.
This helps when doing diagnostics or idle relearn procedures. It will also set a warning light if the actual temp rises above 212 F.
It's new, but being made by the same guy who did the original Muzzer that is just a simple resistor that plugs into the wiring harness by the coolant sensor.

wsw 02-20-2019 09:30 AM

Vcmtuner ii

Originally Posted by egads (Post 16385564)
There is a new unit called a VCMTUNER II :

https://www.vcmtuner.com/products/vc...e-vcm-eco-mode

It costs a little more, but it does a couple of interesting things. One is that if the unit observes a long idle time, it will report the real coolant temp to the ECU.
This helps when doing diagnostics or idle relearn procedures. It will also set a warning light if the actual temp rises above 212 F.
It's new, but being made by the same guy who did the original Muzzer that is just a simple resistor that plugs into the wiring harness by the coolant sensor.

Too late for me as I ordered the S-VCM yesterday. However, I bookmarked the VCMTUNER II for future reference. Thanks for the info!

mbJax 02-20-2019 09:04 PM

I bought a cpo '14 RDX Tech about 10 days ago and am very interested in this product. Does anyone know if installing this device puts my 12 mo/12K warranty in jeopardy?

egads 02-22-2019 12:10 AM

These units are plug & play. They have factory type connectors. For the simplest ones, like the Maxmuzzler, you just unplug the wires from the coolant sensor and plug the unit in between.
So if you need to go to the dealer for a warranty issue? Just take it out!

Very Important! Do the change with the engine cold. Installing with a warm engine will set a check engine light. (that goes away after a few days)

wsw 03-06-2019 10:27 AM

My car hadn't been showing a lot of the symptoms that others on here had, but I didn't like it running on 3 cylinders and it do the stumble after stopping at stop signs and then taking off. Some of the downshifts were a little abrupt also. So, I ordered the S-VCM from the vendor's website on Feb 19 and got it March 4. Installed it yesterday on a cold engine. The space to work in is kind of cramped so it helps if you have small hands. The connector to the coolant sensor is the same as the female connector on the S-VCM. Thus you can get an idea of how the coolant sensor connector is released and removed by examining the one on the S-VCM. Very simple and easy. After installation I started the car up and took it for about a five mile drive of mixed town and freeway driving. No check engine light or any other warning lights came on. The car ran great, smooth shifts up and down and so far no stumble after starting up from a stop at a stop sign. I'll keep a watch on it as I get more miles on it but so far I think that the S-VCM is a winner and would do it again. I'm glad that this thread was posted and thankful for the comments from you guys that convinced me that the S-VCM was something that was worthwhile to do and was easy to install.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...386e5ec57c.jpg

blackdiamond 03-10-2019 08:23 PM

New member here. I recently purchased a 2015 Acura TLX V6 and during the test drive I noticed a vibration that was beyond anything that I would have considered to be normal. To make a long story short, I test drove two other cars with identical drivetrains and determined that the one I was interested in had something wrong. The service department took a look at it and ended up replacing the front engine mount. This solved the majority of the issue. I was satisfied that the vibration was within the "normal" box and after purchasing the car learned a bit more about the issues with VCM. I ended up with the S-VCM controller. Before I installed it the coolant temperature fluctuated between 173 and 180 degrees. With the S-VCM controller installed it seems to read a constant 163 degrees. I have not felt the VCM come on since and now it drives like a luxury sedan should. I have not had an opportunity to really give it a highway test, but based on one trip I am pretty sure I can achieve very close to the rated 34 mph and in our daily commute seem to be getting 25+ mph. I don't know what it was getting before I installed the S-VCM Controller because I knew that unless it absolutely made the economy unacceptable it was a necessary step. What a great car and what a stupid design!

Tech 03-11-2019 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by blackdiamond (Post 16395893)
I ended up with the S-VCM controller. Before I installed it the coolant temperature fluctuated between 173 and 180 degrees. With the S-VCM controller installed it seems to read a constant 163 degrees.

Do you have a digital coolant display because you are listing temperature down to a degree?

Also you state it now reads a "constant 163 degrees". I was under the impression that the S-VCM Controller displays the "true" coolant temperature.

blackdiamond 03-11-2019 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Tech (Post 16396011)
Do you have a digital coolant display because you are listing temperature down to a degree?

Also you state it now reads a "constant 163 degrees". I was under the impression that the S-VCM Controller displays the "true" coolant temperature.

The temperatures are from a BlueDriver OBDII scan tool that I have. It allows me to monitor variables live including coolant temperature. The S-VCM Controller has to send a temperature lower than 167 degrees, I think that’s the number, in order to disable the VCM. My understanding is that is does monitor the actual temperature and will pass the actual temperature if it exceeds something around 230 degrees where the car needs to be able to adjust without interference for the elevated coolant temperatures.

jjrphs 03-11-2019 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tech (Post 16396011)

Uh...no. You need to go back and read how S-VCM Controller actually works in comparison to the resistor-type VCM deactivation units.

First...none of the VCM deactivation devices "display" anything.
What they all do is change the signal being sent from the temp sensor to the ECU such that a reading of something below 167* is sent to the ECU. How they accomplish that is very different.

S-VCM Controller with its micro processor has the ability to send a fixed temp (163*F) to the ECU...regardless of the actual temp the sensor is registering. Once the actual temp reaches 230*F or 110*C...S-VCM Controller stops sending "163*F" to the ECU and allows the sensor to send the actual temp to the ECU...so your temp gauge will register actual temp (and warning) in a potential overheat situation once that temp (230*/110*C) is reached.

The resister type VCM deactivation devices can't do this because they do not have a micro processor and can only add an "adjustment factor" to whatever the actual temp the sensor is registering. The temp sent by the sensor to the ECM is ever changing throughout the range of temps the sensor is registering...and as the actual sensor temps get higher, the amount of "adjustment" of that temp sent to the ECU gets larger as well...up to the point where damage to the engine is possible before the temp gauge would indicate such and be in the red zone.

blackdiamond has it correct.

This chart explains it better than I can...

S-VCM CHART

Hope that helps.

mbJax 03-12-2019 04:30 PM

I ordered s-vcm from the website, around Feb. 25. Site at the time said new stock on March 1, and product arrived yesterday, 3/11. Installed on cold engine this morning and drove about 40 miles mixed today. No warning lights or problems.

All I can say is wow, what a difference. Transmission is smooth, no more stuttering around in city driving, no more gliding feeling, no more grabbing sensation as I come to a stop. It's like an entirely different car. Too early to tell about gas mileage but really don't care. My RDX is fun to drive now. Installation for me wasn't quite as easy as I expected; pretty tight space and it took me a few minutes to work it out, but not a big deal (and I'm not real experienced in working on cars, so maybe "just me"). Amazing enhancement to the driving experience.

NBP04TL4ME 03-12-2019 04:41 PM

Subscribed