RX 350 vs RDX

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 09:49 AM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
RX 350 vs RDX

I have seen only one short thread discussing choosing between the Lexus RX 350 and the 2013 RDX. My dealer actually had a RX 350 in the show room sitting next to the RDX to show the difference. I did consider the Lexus before I settled on the RDX. I found that the Lexus is slightly bigger, about 4 inches longer, 1/2 inch wider, 0.6 inches taller, almost an inch less ground clearance and about 500 pounds heavier. But the real clincher for me was that to get a Lexus with all the features and accessories that I wanted would have cost at least $5,000 more than the RDX. And after driving a 2001 MDX for 11 years, I just couldn't switch.

Regards, Jim
Old 06-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Id have to agree with you Jim.

I looked at the Q5, EX35, RX350, etc and honestly though most of them have some extra tech, I couldn't justify the pricing difference which in Canada is greater than $5K in most cases.

Top that off with Honda reliability and the fact that we've always been a honda / acura family, it was became a fairly easy choice.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Same here Jim.....the only one I considered for a brief moment wa sthe Q5 with all its hype. For the turbo4 with the panoramic roof and Bang Olufsen system, this was about 9500$ more than my RDX. Keep in mind that the Q5 had some stuff that the RDX didn't have but to get a sunroof and an upgraded stereo, this is the smallest price difference I could go...and as much as it was nice to drive, it just felt a little too small for me and just much prefer the Acura interior.

I know people swear by Audi's interior but I love the oodles of button and even wished the RDX would have had a console similar to the TL and drop the ventilation knobs and seperate section but I am aware I am the exception here

Bottom line, if I had to do it over, I wouldn't change a thing....
Old 06-14-2012, 02:19 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I test drove a 2010 RX350 with all the upgrades which would have cost $1000 more than the new RDX without tech. The RX had only 16,000 miles and had come back from a lease. Although it is just slightly bigger than the Acura, it drove like a very large vehicle, while the Acura handled so much better. There was a surprising amount of engine noise in the cabin of the RX350. Having had an RX300 for 11 years and 245,000 trouble-free miles, I was partial to the Lexus before the test drives. I am very happy with the RDX and am hoping it will be as reliable. Prior to the Lexus I had 3 consecutive Saabs and became very weary of waiting for a tow truck.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I think the RX350 competes more with the MDX although the Lexus is smaller. To me however the Lexus will never get consideration from me as the RDX is priced right and Lexus' are just too expensive especially when loaded up.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:44 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by BLEXV6
I think the RX350 competes more with the MDX although the Lexus is smaller. To me however the Lexus will never get consideration from me as the RDX is priced right and Lexus' are just too expensive especially when loaded up.
Unfortunately, Lexus vehicle are always more expensive than the Acura's, due to the brand effect. Lexus is considered to be a more premium luxury brand than Acura.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:51 AM
7th Gear

I alway thought that Lexus are more comfy oriented and Acura more sporty oriented, like firmer suspension and higher revying engines...But never thought Lexus being more premium than Acura...
Old 06-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Cruisin'

hate to say it, but lexus, bmw, audi, MB, all are considered luxury makes and acura is more of a premium make...like infinity, volvo, etc. (i.e. one step down in the eyes of those that track these things)...but hey works for me, lets me get more car for the money. I have an audi (mother in law has a bmw, lexus and MB), and i hate to say it, but i AND my wife can tell the difference in how they are built, function and drive compared to an acura. It hurts me to say this as i am a proud acura owner myself.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:00 PM
-Brandon

Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts
My mom is in the process of looking at an SUV and she is stuck between the 2012 RX350 and the 2013 RDX. I love our TL (her old car, mine now ), so I am really pushing her in the Acura direction. It's cheaper loaded than a non-loaded RX and it is brand new instead of used. Since the 2013 RX is too much money (~$51k the way she likes it) we would have to buy last gen model. If it wasn't for the 'Lexus' brand, we would have no competition, but I guess she needs to test drive both before she makes up her mind...
Old 07-03-2012, 09:20 PM
99CL 3.0 Premium

I'm also on the fence between these 2 models. I've test driven both and I do find the Lexus RX350 to have more luxury appointments inside, and the wood grain is very nice. I agree with the assessment that it feels bigger but I found the RDX to have a more comfortable feel in terms of legroom in the drivers seat, which is a huge factor in my decision.

To me the 3rd gen, Lexus has a more cacoon like feel in the driver's seat due to them raising up the center console. With the RDX I felt less constricted in terms of legroom. Also, I found when I lowered the seat all the way down on the RDX I could see the speed gauges easier than I could when I did the same with the Lexus. I felt that with the Lexus I had to look down more to see the guages.

Last edited by zyx345; 07-03-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by zyx345
I'm also on the fence between these 2 models. I've test driven both and I do find the Lexus RX350 to have more luxury appointments inside, and the wood grain is very nice. I agree with the assessment that it feels bigger but I found the RDX to have a more comfortable feel in terms of legroom in the drivers seat, which is a huge factor in my decision.

To me the 3rd gen, Lexus has a more cacoon like feel in the driver's seat due to them raising up the center console. With the RDX I felt less constricted in terms of legroom. Also, I found when I lowered the seat all the way down on the RDX I could see the speed gauges easier than I could when I did the same with the Lexus. I felt that with the Lexus I had to look down more to see the guages.
Kinda sounds like you are talking yourself into the RDX! If money is no object and you truly feel the Lexus is better...then get the Lexus. If you have the money, but, don't want to waste it....the RDX gives a lot for the cost, and it is more ergonomically correct and has more room than the Lexus. I've always felt that the Lexus vehicles are overpriced. Is it really worth $10,000 plus more??

If better "wood interior" is what's important...then get the Lexus. But, $ for $ the RDX is a better buy, AND, I don't think it's a "lesser" vehicle. That's my personal opinion, and I've owned 60 cars, 30 of them new since I was 16.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't forget the LED DRLs on the RX. I am very disappointed Acura didn't design them into the new RDX. Can you say Kia Sportage?
Old 07-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Cruisin'

Same Predicament

I have an 07 RDX Tech (which I love)and am trying to steer the wife to a '13 Tech instead of the 350 RX. She currently has a 06 330 RX and likes the feel of the Lexus (otherwise known as boring). Although I did feel that even with all the ride improvements of the new RDX, it still shaked a bit more than the RX especially in the back seat (anyone out there feel differently?) Also my wife being 5'3" says she cant see the road in front as well as the RX. (already ordering a cushion on Amazon just in case). Also she says "what would people say if we both had the same car"... Damn Bravo Channel. Well I got her almost sold on the RDX so crossing my fingers. Damn, why do women have to make this so complicated
Old 07-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mikecybergolf
Damn, why do women have to make this so complicated
Ask yourself this question when you go to bed tonight....would you like a "dude" to cuddle with as you curl into bed? *lmao* Makes her choosing the Lexus not so bad after all Either way, they are both great vehicles *lol*
Old 07-16-2012, 01:35 PM
4th Gear

The issue is that in many parts of the country the 2013 RX are discounted heavily, $1,500 below invoice in California for example meaning you can get a $49K msrp 2013 RX for $43K which brings the price much closer to the RDX with tech and/or awd. However even in California RDX are not heavily discounted. So in the real world the prices are not that different, around 10%.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:28 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
No wonder the RX is selling like hot cakes!
Old 07-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by iforyou
No wonder the RX is selling like hot cakes!
So then, how do you account for the fact the RDX's are selling as fast as they get them in?? Or, many are actually sold before they arrive.

Lexus dealers had to do something to move those RX's since the RDX came out. So, that's why you see such deep discounts..AND...the fact that they make more of them....so, more availability and bigger discounts to move them off the lots. They are still over priced. And, the RDX has more room and overall space.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
I drove two RXs yesterday. I tried the 2012 RX450h (the hybrid) and the 2013 RX350, in Canada. I don't know exactly the models in the US, but this is what we have in Canada.
The 2012 hybrid really impressed me. A lot of power and the hybrid system was actually not noticeable.
I was disappointed by the 2013 RX 350. It is a good car, don't get me wrong, but there isn't even a competition between the RX and the new RDX. The engine was louder, it felt like there was less power and I don't even want to get into handling and body roll. The RX interior looks really bad in my opinion. They put some wood in, but besides the wood there is nothing. The controls look really outdated, especially the temperature up/down controls. The suspension makes the car feel like a boat and there was some noise coming from the back seats when going through potholes. After the drive test I went in the back to check and the whole seat is shaking and making noise when the car hits a hole. I though that maybe the seats are not in place, but they were, I could just hit them with my hand and I could hear and see them moving. Also, tons of wind noise in the RX at highway speeds.
I remember that the last time I drove a 2012 RX 350 I was quite pleased with it. I don't know if the 2013 model is worse than 2012 or if now my standards are higher, after driving the 2013 RDX.

Now, I also drove an Audi Q5 over the weekend. That's a really nice car!
Old 07-17-2012, 01:20 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
So then, how do you account for the fact the RDX's are selling as fast as they get them in?? Or, many are actually sold before they arrive.

Lexus dealers had to do something to move those RX's since the RDX came out. So, that's why you see such deep discounts..AND...the fact that they make more of them....so, more availability and bigger discounts to move them off the lots. They are still over priced. And, the RDX has more room and overall space.
Most new good products are in short supply when introduced. Heck it took months for the iPad to fill te channel.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by Ninjamini
Most new good products are in short supply when introduced. Heck it took months for the iPad to fill te channel.

The RX is also new and revised. But, again, there are more of them and they DO feel the competition from the RDX....that's why they can discount them. And, from what I've read here and there, this revised RX is not the SUV it used to be. What would you do if you were a Lexus dealer knowing your product is probably not as good as the last one....and the RDX is kicking butt??

Uhhhh....If I'm the dealer owner....I'd be telling my guys to move these things off the lot. That's the bottom line here. Lexus is having to work at moving the units.......Acura...well don't we all know by now...is NOT having to work hard at all. They are working hard in trying to find enough vehicles to satisfy the demand. It's NOT just because they are new and revised.......it's because they did it right and the word is out all over.

Yugo's were new at one point....I didn't see a rush to buy them as fast as they could!!! They rushed to get rid of them soon after buying though! LMAO!!!!
Old 07-17-2012, 05:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Yugo's were new at one point....I didn't see a rush to buy them as fast as they could!!! They rushed to get rid of them soon after buying though! LMAO!!!!
I would have picked a Lada myself over the two! That being said, both were amazing vehicle with exceptional engineering and handing! Light years ahead of their time (end of sarcasm)
Old 07-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The 2012 Audi Q5 2.0T quattro premium... 0-60 time? 9.3 sec. For around $45K. No thanks. If I am going to spend that much, the thing needs to perform.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:42 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts

lol..I think there's some confusion...I was replying to fgood's post...

He was saying that the RX is being discounted heavily (below invoice) and a well equipped RX like the RDX is at $43k instead of $49k. I didn't know that the RX is being discounted by so much.

Personally I'm also interested in the RDX as well
Old 07-18-2012, 06:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikey Dallas
The 2012 Audi Q5 2.0T quattro premium... 0-60 time? 9.3 sec. For around $45K. No thanks. If I am going to spend that much, the thing needs to perform.
I'm not sure if that's just a typo, but your numbers are off. Most have timed the Q5's 0-60 run between 6.5 and 7 seconds. It's well documented that Audi's 2.0T puts out significantly more than the 211 published HP. And the price starts around $36k, although you can get it to $45k if you load up a Premium Plus.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
I'm not sure if that's just a typo, but your numbers are off. Most have timed the Q5's 0-60 run between 6.5 and 7 seconds. It's well documented that Audi's 2.0T puts out significantly more than the 211 published HP. And the price starts around $36k, although you can get it to $45k if you load up a Premium Plus.
If I build a Q5 to get the same features as my RDX the price goes to 47,000+ vs 41.600 for the RDX. Then add tax, fees and license.

The Q5 is over priced.

Regards, Jim
Old 07-18-2012, 10:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by hawkeye62
If I build a Q5 to get the same features as my RDX the price goes to 47,000+ vs 41.600 for the RDX. Then add tax, fees and license.

The Q5 is over priced.

Regards, Jim
I was just respectfully correcting an error. I'd prefer not to hijack this thread and turn it into a debate. I will say that we own the Q5 and I'm currently considering an RDX along with several other vehicles. They are both very good cars, but they have a completely different feel and will appeal to slightly different audiences. There is also no way to configure the vehicles with identical equipment, so it will never be an apples-to-apples comparison. What is overpriced to some buyers is a screaming bargain to others. I believe any vehicle that maintains constant demand and sells at or near window sticker such as the Q5 is not overpriced, but rather is priced correctly for the market. If you'd like to start another Q5 vs RDX thread, I'll be happy to contribute my opinions in more detail.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Just for the record, I got the 0-60 time off of the Cars.com website listing the features of the Audi. It would not surprise me if different reviewers came up with different times. I have read of 0-60 times on the 2013 RDX from 6.1 to 6.9 as well. The price I quoted was based on the 25 new models available for sale in my area. Sorry if I seemed to dis your Audi. I will admit it is a beautiful car with a very luxury feel.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:31 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Personally I don't want to see any threads like the Q5 vs the RDX. We don't need to get quite that "involved." Tends to get too touchy and people get upset. I think we've covered the necessary basics at this point.

As was said....each to their own....we all give a couple of things to look at and think about....and that should be it...unless there are specific questions.
There should be comparisons attached with some facts....and then let others decide what they want or need to do.

Anyone can make great arguments on why "their" particular ride is better than yours. It's more about what a person has to spend, get the facts, check 'em out, and make a decision. But, this forum is meant to talk mostly about the second gen. RDX. That's about it. Yes, there is a thread about the RX and the RDX. But, it's about run it's course and was fairly useful for anyone seeking info. But, to go much farther is then getting into a "one upsmanship contest."
Old 07-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Suzuka Master

As long as people stick to facts rather than opinions or preferences, I don't have an issue with thread comparing two vehicles. When I was replacing my RAV4, the RDX and the Q5 were the only two vehicles left in the running. Both are awsome cars and they both the success they do because they are such great ride. Ultimately, I knew that the choice I needed to do would be based on what was going to fulfill my needs and personal preferences and thus, made the decision without involving all the Acurazine members. I am convinced that either choice I'd made, I would have been happy but I sure don't regret the RDX!

I am pretty happy about the genuine civility (if that is an english word) here on Acurazine.....Members seems extremely respectful and non argumentative which is a good things. You get the odd one that is too flirty (blushing) but what that is genetics *lol* I guess that is in the genes (jeans).....ha ha hah