Reset/Not-Reset Maintenance Reminder?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 06:34 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Reset/Not-Reset Maintenance Reminder?

Hi All,

I bought my 2016 RDX late last year and I accumulated 4200 miles.
Since this is the time of year where I change all my cars oil, I'm pondering if I should reset the maintenance reminder after oil change (40-50%).

From what I've read, it appears the maintenance reminder not only track the oil change, but other maintenance items (e.g. air filter, tire rotation, etc.). So, I'm guessing I should not change reset it now as it would 'confuse' the system's timing and that I should reset it when it gets between 0% and 15%. I just want to check with you all if I understand how the system works correctly.

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2017, 07:31 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
The M.I.D. tracks the following with with an A or B code with follow up number codes of 1-6 when you get to 0-15% oil life:

Letter Codes:
A - Replace just engine oil.
B - Replace engine oil and oil filter.
Also inspect various systems and components
(see applicable service manual for details).

Number Codes:
1 - Rotate tires, and check tire pressure and condition.
2 - Replace air cleaner element, check drive belt,
and replace dust and pollen filter.
3 - Replace transmission fluid and transfer fluid (if equipped).
4 - Replace spark plugs, replace timing belt (if equipped),
inspect water pump, and inspect valve clearance.
5 - Replace engine coolant.
6 - Replace rear differential fluid (if equipped)

The M.I.D. does not track items like brake or power steering flush, battery, or alignment. There is always a number code associated with the A or B service. It can be a single digit or up to 3 digits for recommended service (like A123). The number code only shows when the A or B service is due at 15% or less. If you reset the A/B service early (between 20%-100%), you will might also reset the number code for additional service not shown. I sometimes do extra/early service like cabin/air filter, AT fluid exchange, or rotations/balance before the oil change. I let my Acura service manager know and they can add it to the database and reset the individual codes with the scan tool associated to that 1-6 service. You might be ahead of the game doing you own oil changes; but, might be extending your service on other items if you are only relying on the M.I.D. only for the 1-6 services. I've done this for all 3 Acura vehicles with a combined +340,000 miles between them for +11 years.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:59 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you reset the A/B service early (between 20%-100%), you will might also reset the number code for additional service not shown. I sometimes do extra/early service like cabin/air filter, AT fluid exchange, or rotations/balance before the oil change. I let my Acura service manager know and they can add it to the database and reset the individual codes with the scan tool associated to that 1-6 service. You might be ahead of the game doing you own oil changes; but, might be extending your service on other items if you are only relying on the M.I.D. only for the 1-6 services.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the feedback!
Since I change my cars' oil annually (summer), perhaps I shouldn't use the maintenance system for oil change reminder, but for all other maintenance stuff.

Last edited by RDXMac; 05-31-2017 at 09:13 AM.