AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G RDX (2013-2018) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/)
-   -   Remote's Battery Lifetime under 2 years? (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/remotes-battery-lifetime-under-2-years-975850/)

fcostantini 12-22-2018 09:47 AM

Remote's Battery Lifetime under 2 years?

My fiance's 2017 RDX Advance had both remote's batteries need to be replaced, and the car is less than 2 years old. Is this normal?

She keeps the main remote in her purse and the smaller spare remote in a drawer, both generally sitting in the mudroom directly adjacent to the garage where she parks the car, so both the remotes are essentially sitting within 3 feet from the car at all times on the opposite side of the wall. Is having the remotes sitting so close to the car all the time causing them to drain prematurely? Are they constantly communicating with the car when so close? Or, are the batteries only supposed to last 2 years?

Thanks for any insights!

RDX-Rick 12-22-2018 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by fcostantini (Post 16354606)
Is having the remotes sitting so close to the car all the time causing them to drain prematurely? Are they constantly communicating with the car when so close? Or, are the batteries only supposed to last 2 years?!

When the key fob is in it's normal mode, acting as a receiver, it is using very little battery power.When it receives a radio signal from the antenna in the RDX's door (or from the antenna near the ignition switch, when you press the start button), the key fob then begins transmitting it's ID code to the RDX's computer in order to identify itself. This instructs the computer to unlock the door, or allow the engine to start. When the fob is transmitting it uses much more power than when it is sitting idle.

So to answer your question, your battery could be dying prematurely if the fob is stored within range of the RDX's door antenna. You might be able to prove this, if you can open a locked door while the fob remains in the drawer.

The fob can also go into transmit mode when it receives radio interference from many electrical devices.

This TSB comes from a Toyoto RAV4 forum, which I used to belong to.................

Introduction
Some customers may experience limited battery life in their Smart Keys.
The Smart Key “wakes up” by receiving a “ping” or electronic noise.
Many electronic devices emit a “ping” or electronic noise, therefore the Smart Key(s) could wake up when in the presence of these items resulting in reduced battery life.
If the Smart Key(s) is stored near any of the following components, battery life may be reduced:
• TVs or computer monitors
• DVD or VCR units
• Desktop PCs or notebooks
• Cordless phones or cell phones
• Microwave ovens or other electronic cooking appliances
• Modems
• Certain lighting fixtures
NOTE It is recommended to keep the Smart Key(s) at least one meter (40 inches) from these electronic

BLEXV6 12-23-2018 02:57 PM

I have a 14 and 17, the latter with the remote starter ,the former does not have this feature. The 14 has had a battery replacement at the 3 year mark and the 17 at 2.5 year mark. I suggest the power starter function may be the reason why. That said, it was replaced for $10 including install.

mgrody 01-01-2019 10:36 AM

Mine takes a 2032 coin battery that cost about a buck each online. It's very easy to change and the instructions are in the owner's manual.