Remote start- wipers swipe on

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 10:18 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Remote start- wipers swipe on

When I remote start our RDX then get in and press brake with start button the wipers go on.
i never noticed this happen in the summer just now during our rainy season...even happens when the car is perfectly dry and in the garage.
does the car know there's a 20% chance of rain today...the wiper setting is on auto all the time summer and winter.

I thought I switched wipers to off and still happened but the wiper stalk is difficult for me to read so I may be confused.
My my wife thinks the car is possessed in a good way...but I'd sure like to understand why this happens.

my questions:
Can the automatic wipers be set to not turn on when in the garage is not wet and I remote start the car ?
Does the automatic setting include the rear wipers going on at the same time or not ?
Do I have to adjust the wiper speed while driving if the rain increases ?....I'm sure the automatic wipers on my other German cars compensate.
Does anyone know where the rain sensor is located ?...maybe it is damp is all I can figure.

'17 RDX advance pkg. not my everyday driver and our first Acura.
thanks.

Last edited by Himecraig; 01-07-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:45 AM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
Can't stop it from happening that I can tell. If the wipers are set to rain sensing, they swipe every time the car is "reset". Funny thing is they don't do that during a normal start.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:40 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
The manual says not to leave the automatic wipers on all the time...........you should only have them on rain sensing when it's raining or you anticipate the rain. We used to have an Avalon where they stayed on all the time...the Acura ones are different in how they operate....the Avalon was off/on and would technically adjust to go faster or slower on it's own, depending on the rain...didn't like it so shut it off as it did a horrid job keeping up when the rain got heavier (or slowing down when the rain got lighter) and I was always manually messing with it. Our RDX has a different control associated with the speed sensor on the stalk. I've found myself making occasional manual adjustments with it, too. The sensor is in the electronics array behind the rear-view mirror, I believe...and I doubt it is damp....

The automatic setting does not include the rear wiper.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:08 AM
Instructor

Thanks for looking up the situation in the manual.
The Honda CR-V owners of the touring edition also ponder this situation of why the wipers automatically go on for a few swipes ONLY during remote start...if starting normally the wipers On auto act normally like they should and stay off until in rain or wetness (except for the fact you have to adjust the speed manually sometimes).
its crazy.

Edit: perhaps owners in extreme cold areas can answer if having the wipers take a few swipes after remote start during a freeze is a good thing.

As an aside...
I have an Acura DVD inside what looks like a quick start manual but unfortunately I have eliminated DVD play capability in my household and the Acura curiosity will not play its own DVD....is this dvd digital manual or some kind or Acura promo.

Last edited by Himecraig; 01-08-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:34 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
The DVD is to review the manual in full detail. Use your computer to review if you like. The abbreviated physical manual and start up manual will work for most functions. This car does not have DVD capability, the slot is for audio, ie CD's. I have never had the swiping issue but I always turn off the windshield wipers when I am finished with them and don't leave the automatic setting on.
The following users liked this post:
RockTheGlobe (01-26-2019)
Old 01-09-2017, 05:46 AM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Same annoying issue here.
Wuiper doing a wipe with a windshield full of ice and heavy snow isn't good for a wiper motor..
I don't think dry wipes of the windshield are good for the blades either.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:09 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by BLEXV6
The DVD is to review the manual in full detail. Use your computer to review if you like. The abbreviated physical manual and start up manual will work for most functions. This car does not have DVD capability, the slot is for audio, ie CD's. I have never had the swiping issue but I always turn off the windshield wipers when I am finished with them and don't leave the automatic setting on.
The full manual is easily accessible online. And, a hard copy is available (free) from client relations.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Doobiewah
The manual says not to leave the automatic wipers on all the time...........you should only have them on rain sensing when it's raining or you anticipate the rain. We used to have an Avalon where they stayed on all the time...the Acura ones are different in how they operate....the Avalon was off/on and would technically adjust to go faster or slower on it's own, depending on the rain...didn't like it so shut it off as it did a horrid job keeping up when the rain got heavier (or slowing down when the rain got lighter) and I was always manually messing with it. Our RDX has a different control associated with the speed sensor on the stalk. I've found myself making occasional manual adjustments with it, too. The sensor is in the electronics array behind the rear-view mirror, I believe...and I doubt it is damp....

The automatic setting does not include the rear wiper.
I have noticed rear wiper to be automatic when you are in reverse (while backing out of garage while raining, and the rear wiper set to OFF)
Old 01-12-2017, 06:25 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by sathiyan
I have noticed rear wiper to be automatic when you are in reverse (while backing out of garage while raining, and the rear wiper set to OFF)
Yep, that's because you have the main wipers on.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:25 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
That is one very useful feature in the Acura. The wipers will wipe whichever direction you are going. So it goes both ways .
Old 01-14-2017, 11:40 AM
Instructor

O, yes I noticed that as well.
The car already has rear view cameras, tilt mirrors and sensors. can this function be turned off?...or is it a all part of safety design.
i guess I'm just wondering what's the point of automatic if I have to turn it on and adjust the speed while on the fly.
I commute thru a tunnel and times of no rain but water splashes down on the windshield and I sure wish the wipers would go on...
but not the rears...lol might be handy if backing out of the tunnel.

Whatever...guess by the time I get used to everything it'd be time to sell.
as mentioned the stalk is blind and hard for me to adjust while driving:
Attached Thumbnails Remote start- wipers swipe on-img_0398.jpg  
Old 01-14-2017, 11:49 AM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
The rain sensing feature should work for you, if you have it.