AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G RDX (2013-2018) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/)
-   -   Remote start install (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/remote-start-install-967942/)

Camaro00 03-11-2018 06:20 AM

Remote start install

First time here and looking for some help. We recently traded in my wife's tsx for a 17 rdx base. Only problem being is it doesn't have remote start. We discussed this with the dealer and they want a crazy amount to add it. So I've looked online and get get the Acura parts alot cheaper and do the install myself. But reading the instructions it talks about having it programmed by a dealer in order to work. Any ways around this? Thanks.

Tech 03-11-2018 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro00 (Post 16199161)
But reading the instructions it talks about having it programmed by a dealer in order to work.

Having worked with numerous vehicle programs, that should take minutes to do. What can they charge you? OK, lets not get into that. lol

Camaro00 03-11-2018 07:18 AM

Yea I know haha. I already told them I can do it for much cheaper with Acura parts. I said the only thing I might need is for it to be programmed. That's when the salesman started with well the hourly rate for a tech is $$ and I'm not sure how long it would take them. So I'm hoping there's a way around this. I'd really like to use factory parts and not have to go aftermarket.

Tech 03-11-2018 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro00 (Post 16199165)
That's when the salesman started with well the hourly rate for a tech is $$ and I'm not sure how long it would take them.

Ask the service department and ask for a breakdown of time to do what needs doing.

ZAXDude 03-11-2018 11:58 PM

I installed the remote start myself on my 2018 Tech. Wasn't difficult (instructions indicated to remove ALL of the wires from the center electronics head unit -- totally wasn't necessary and would have been near impossible to plug all those wires back in again had I done it) at all and could totally do it again probably in less than an hour.

This said, the remotes do need to be programmed; it's not something you can do yourself. A local locksmith many times has the ability to do it. I found a few in Denver to do it, but they wanted more than the local dealership. The local dealership programmed the 2 remotes for $80.

Camaro00 03-12-2018 09:43 AM

Thanks guy. Just heard back from the dealer and they won't do it unless they install the system so looks like I'll be calling other dealers. Hopefully someone else will do it.

ZAXDude 03-12-2018 11:08 AM

I hope you are able to find a dealer/locksmith to program the remotes; definitely a LOT cheaper DIY. I got the parts for the remote start for ~260 online (totally less than the $399 list price, which doesn't include the ridiculous dealer install amount). So after the remote programming all in for me was about $360 since I also purchased some trim removal tools. Those are invaluable....totally suggest you buy some. It makes popping off those panels much easier while at the same time not causing any damage to the trim pieces.

Originally Posted by Camaro00 (Post 16199474)
Thanks guy. Just heard back from the dealer and they won't do it unless they install the system so looks like I'll be calling other dealers. Hopefully someone else will do it.

Camaro00 03-12-2018 11:33 AM

That's about what I figured it would cost which would save me $200 from the dealer. I seen the tools your talking about and planned on getting them too. I already downloaded the directions and looked them over. I'll just have to call some other dealers once I get done work.

Camaro00 03-13-2018 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by ZAXDude (Post 16199379)
I installed the remote start myself on my 2018 Tech. Wasn't difficult (instructions indicated to remove ALL of the wires from the center electronics head unit -- totally wasn't necessary and would have been near impossible to plug all those wires back in again had I done it) at all and could totally do it again probably in less than an hour.

Would you have to know what the part number was for the kit you installed and does your tech have nav? I found 2 different part numbers and both say they fit. But when I downloaded the instructions for both they have a totally different install. One is just plugging in the harness behind the radio and mounting the antenna with it. The other is mounting the antenna behind the rearview mirror and pulling the a pillar apart and lower dash on the driver side. Im guessing that's the one I need since hers is a base without nav.

ZAXDude 03-14-2018 06:28 PM

The remote start I installed was part # 38015-TX4-A00 (remote engine start III)

Yes, my 2018 RDX Tech AWD has the Navigation; I think all Tech models do. There are two versions of the remote start I think: the "remote engine start II" and the "remote engine start III". It is my general understanding that the III, which is the part number I installed, will only work for the Tech models. The remote engine start II is part # 08E91-TX4-200.

Acura's eStore seems to confirm my general understanding: http://estore.honda.com/acura/access...your-acura.asp

However, many of the online Acura parts stores indicate the III is compatible with the RDX Base (example): https://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/...p=remote-start

Camaro00 03-18-2018 05:11 PM

I ended up having the vin ran to see which kit was needed. It ended up being the 2 part kit so I ordered that and just got it in the mail. Once I get time I'll do the install and report back.

restron 03-18-2018 05:24 PM

its such waste of time, go to the dealer to get it installed